The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #76
The Big Green

Re: Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Do the wheels need to be tucked more to avoid hitting the outside sheet metal? The cure is narrowing the track width (either shadetree/budget or other method). If the issue is interference w/the inner structure (hitting the a-arms or frame) you could always narrow the wheel from the back side for less over-all back-spacing.

One last thought.... There's no reason to give up just because you can't get an off the shelf wheel (that was never intended for your truck) to fit. Why is it soooooo critical to have the wheels this freakin' second? My personal observation is you sound like your pouting because you can't have what you want RIGHT NOW. If the truck was built for a 22/24 combo, stick w/your plan & start saving up for the purchase a little @ a time vs. running out & buying whatever right now.

One last departing thought: Just because it has 24" wheels all around (or a 22/24 combo) does not mean it will be great. 24" wheels can look great if the right back spacing & tire sizes are chosen...... but 20's; or dare I say 15's..... can look just as good . . ....

Well, I sold my 20's to buy new wheels, but I'm moving into my first new home soon, closing Jan. 29th. I can't move the truck outta storage on 15's and the 3in spindles. I had the cash for the wheels pictured so I was going to make a purchase so I can move it. I made a mistake, can't do a spindle swap in the storage biulding and can't buy these wheels. I'll have to think of something so I can move it the Jan 29th to my shop. So, new house, other things, truck wont drive because wheels hit, other things, just going crazy at the moment.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #77
smbrouss70

Can you borrow a set of wheels just to move it? Then decide which direction you would like to go in order to find a solution to your problem.

After looking at Boss' website, it looks like if you changed to 6-lug you have 2 choices on backspacing. Swap the rotors with some from ECE or CPP, that takes care of the front. For the rear, either find someone who is swapping over to 5-lug and has the wider 70 rear-end, get the axles and brake drums and you're set. Even if you have to resort to buying axles, it shouldn't cost more than $300 for a brand new pair.

Once you get the 6-lug, then you can get the 7" BS and if need be, run a good quality spacer/adapter on the rear to bring the wheels out, or get the 5.91" BS for the rears.

This is the least expensive, safest way that I can see to do what you are trying to do. I understand the lack of funds thing, I've been saving for quite a while to order my wheels. Just when I almost have enough, something comes up that requires me to use some of the "truck" money. Keep your head up, it'll get better.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #78
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Steel 15" wheels and 235/75-15's are 28.9" tall.
That's what I roll until the Wheel money comes in.
Ralley wheels are cheap.
Steelies are cheaper.

Used wheels for $100 and your rollin'.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 12-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #79
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Can you borrow a set of wheels just to move it? Then decide which direction you would like to go in order to find a solution to your problem.

After looking at Boss' website, it looks like if you changed to 6-lug you have 2 choices on backspacing. Swap the rotors with some from ECE or CPP, that takes care of the front. For the rear, either find someone who is swapping over to 5-lug and has the wider 70 rear-end, get the axles and brake drums and you're set. Even if you have to resort to buying axles, it shouldn't cost more than $300 for a brand new pair.

Once you get the 6-lug, then you can get the 7" BS and if need be, run a good quality spacer/adapter on the rear to bring the wheels out, or get the 5.91" BS for the rears.

This is the least expensive, safest way that I can see to do what you are trying to do. I understand the lack of funds thing, I've been saving for quite a while to order my wheels. Just when I almost have enough, something comes up that requires me to use some of the "truck" money. Keep your head up, it'll get better.
Something I didn't look into enough. I'll look into a few off the shelf 6lug wheels before I decide anything further. Thanks a lot! Did cross my mind for a second but didn't look too far into changing the pattern. Simple and maybe the cheapest safest way.

Also, I can think of a way to move it but it may not be easy. I'm going to try and find wheels to move it. I know the guy with my old 20's so maybe he would let me borrow 2 so I can move the truck.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #80
bedsled71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Steel 15" wheels and 235/75-15's are 28.9" tall.
That's what I roll until the Wheel money comes in.
Ralley wheels are cheap.
Steelies are cheaper.

Used wheels for $100 and your rollin'.
he cant use 15inch wheels with his spindels
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #81
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsled71 View Post
he cant use 15inch wheels with his spindels
What brand of spindle won't roll a 15?
Never heard of any.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #82
The Big Green

Quote:
What brand of spindle won't roll a 15?
Never heard of any.
I have a 3in Belltech spindle. My Prostar lookalikes are 15x6 on front and not sure on bs, but they hit the spindle hard, lower balljoint digs in the wheel on the bottom. It'll mount but wont turn.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #83
The Big Green

Ok, that 5 to 6x5.5 swap sounds like a winner. It's safe, easy, cheaper, less modding and cutting, and I can get the same wheel with specs almost perfect. I can do the 24x10 Boss 330 that was a good inch from not fitting and had the 5.91bs, same wheel 6x5.5 comes that same bs, and also a 6.619. That'll do, because a 10in wheel and 6.29 is the measurement I got and the wheel bs I have tried before.

Whats a good place I can get a 6lug disc swap? The rear I have is from a 72 C-10, but I can't swap it easy because the guy set the 4-link up and its all perfect, and welded up on this rearend. I'll try axles or see if I can redrill for the 6lug, but I doubt I'll do that. What's my options to make the rear 6lug on a 72 rear?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #84
The Big Green

Running a 24x10 front and rear with different bs would be ok right? This a good way to do this?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #85
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I've run 3" Belltech Spindles since the late 80's.
All they require is a trim in the lower balljoint area of the stock lower control arm to work with a 15" wheel with a 4" BS.
I assume your wheels have more than a 4" BS.
(Weld wheels were half sizes ie 3.5", 4.5", etc)
If you were closer I have a set of steel wheels, ralley, whatever,... that would get your truck from point a to point b, no problem.
Hit up your Wheel guy and ask him about borrowing a set.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 12-20-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #86
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Before you just run out and order a set of "off the shelf" 6-lug wheels,... remember the majority of these wheels are made for the '99-up Silverados that have a small bore in the center of the wheel to fit the small hub of the new Silverados.

ECE sells a conversion 6-lug rotor that will bolt right on to your spindles,... but it will have the same size hub as your 5-lug rotors.

If you have a machine shop that can re-drill your rear axles,... just have them weld up the 5-lug pattern before drilling the 6-lug pattern.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #87
The Big Green

Quote:
I've run 3" Belltech Spindles since the late 80's.
All they require is a trim in the lower balljoint area of the stock lower control arm to work with a 15" wheel with a 4" BS.
I assume your wheels have more than a 4" BS.
(Weld wheels were half sizes ie 3.5", 4.5", etc)
If you were closer I have a set of steel wheels, ralley, whatever,... that would get your truck from point a to point b, no problem.
Hit up your Wheel guy and ask him to borrow a set.
My Prostar lookalikes are a Prime wheel, Walmart carried them, but not sure now these were on there when I bought the truck like 13 years ago. I'll check where they hit but the back of the wheel goes back under the whole bottom balljoint so they are fairly deep offsetwise I think.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #88
The Big Green

Quote:
Before you just run out and order a set of "off the shelf" 6-lug wheels,... remember the majority of these wheels are made for the '99-up Silverados that have a small bore in the center of the wheel to fit the small hub of the new Silverados.

ECE sells a conversion 6-lug rotor that will bolt right on to your spindles,... but it will have the same size hub as your 5-lug rotors.

If you have a machine shop that can re-drill your rear axles,... just have them weld up the 5-lug pattern before drilling the 6-lug pattern.
Thanks, this is something I did not know, but I'll check it before I buy. This something I'd measure, and before I order I'd have the wheel shop ask the size of the inner bore on the wheel? If they are the same I'm good?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #89
The Big Green

My buddy ordered wheels for his truck one day, just found them and paid. Later on he found out the bore size was to small and he's having them machined out to fit. A big pain, but I think he's going to go that route.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #90
smbrouss70

Quote:
I have ECE's 6-lug conversion rotors on the front of my truck right now and one of the factory wheels off of a 2005 Tahoe fit on there with no problem with the exception of WAY too much backspace for my set-up.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #91
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
Running a 24x10 front and rear with different bs would be ok right? This a good way to do this?
The only problem it will cause is not being able to rotate your tires front to back.

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #92
The Big Green

Quote:
I have ECE's 6-lug conversion rotors on the front of my truck right now and one of the factory wheels off of a 2005 Tahoe fit on there with no problem with the exception of WAY too much backspace for my set-up.

Thanks for that info.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #93
The Big Green

Quote:
The only problem it will cause is not being able to rotate your tires front to back.
And that will suck, but I could live with that. It wouldn't differ from my original plan of the 22/24 setup. Same width wheels, diferent bs, but it should look just fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #94
The Big Green

Anyone know if the ECE would affect the bs on a wheel? Like from my 5lug disc to their 6lug rotor conversion?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #95
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
Anyone know if the ECE would affect the bs on a wheel? Like from my 5lug disc to their 6lug rotor conversion?
no change.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #96
The Big Green

Quote:
no change.
Cool
Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #97
The Big Green

Whats ECE's wesite?

Rotor and caliper swap?

Last edited by The Big Green; 12-20-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #98
SCOTI

My 74 has 3" Bell Tech spindles w/GM 15x6.5" van ralleys & 215-70-15 BFG's on the front. It required trimming the lower a-arm lip to prevent interference. Other than that, I've had ZERO issues w/the combo. A set of GM steel wheels (common 5-lug truck spares) would be about the same thing & most wheel & tire shops have a couple laying around that they haven't trashed yet . . .....

Quote:
Whats ECE's wesite?

Rotor and caliper swap?
www.earlyclassic.com
Rotor only. Calipers are the same.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-20-2009 at 08:56 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #99
bagged74
its just $$$$$

i can loan you some wheels to move it on, if you need them. i have some 15" rally wheels that will roll with the 3" spindle
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #100
smbrouss70

One thing I just thought of... Your current set-up does use 1.25" thick rotors, right? Because that's what is required to run the ECE rotors.

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build