The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #76
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Insurance is totaling my truck.

I also forgot to mention that most (if not all) of the specialty insurers' policies with agreed/stated values have declarations that your vehicle must be garaged, driven very few miles per year, and be a show-quality vehicle. I do not know of a policy like this here in Texas that covers a daily driver like this, but I could be wrong.

I had my '65 Impala insured with Hagerty (agreed value of 12K--no appraisal needed) but it was garaged and hardly ever driven.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #77
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ShrtBox View Post
I had a 93" Powder Blue GMC Suburban that was totalled back in 2002. The other driver was drunk and fell asleep behind the wheel. He came across the median of a main HWY and hit me head on. His insurance company was trying to give me a GEO to ride in. I'm 6'4" 300lbs.... I cant get in a GEO. I was driving myself to therapy at the time so I need a vehicle big enough to accommodate me and my family of 5. I finally had to get a lawyer involved. It went from arguing about the rental vehicle to "Mr. Clayton we have someone from Enterprise Rental coming to pick you up from your home to give you an SUV" Claims adjusters do not respect individuals. I even got $8500 out of them for my Old Suburban.. they even let me take my stereo system and wheels off.

Get a lawyer.. makes it painless....just my 2cents

Out of your settlement, how much did your chiropractor and attorney get?

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #78
jdurant

Ok, Ok. You guys may be beginning to make some sense to me. I'm just so frustrated with these damn insurance companies I guess I'm jaded. I am a grown man and own a house with a family--maybe I do need to protect myself and potential victims a little better(it's just that--no matter what kind of coverage I have, if we fall I don't believe those big hands are gonna catch me or any other claimant).

Of course, people being so quick to file a lawsuit (I've always told myself that it's different here in little Dayton, tx, but it probably isn't)is a big part of state at hand. But then again, I'm beginning to think you gotta get as much as you can out of them just to cover your actual losses. We(the good ole boys that are still driving our squares around) don't take advantage of the situation and claim our neck is broken, etc. Apparently you have to or you either get ripped off or have to fight tooth and nail to get even close actual recovery--which is why they have to rip you off. It's a viscious circle.

Maybe I ought to just keep a lawyer on retainer?

I've been dealing with them the last few days, so it's all I've thought about lately. Btw, I was right, they thanked me one day for saving them a ton of money, and then they lowballed the crap out of the next. Their I-keep-it-total loss value, was less than the damages estimate on the first quote when they were gonna fix it (not that I want to keep it).
When I get done with the insurance ordeal I have at hand, I will be looking to insure a new vehicle. When I do, I'll shop insurance and up my coverages, and I will check any potential insurer to see it they use this scamming CCC company to do their value estimates. Because I now know first hand of their devilry. I still won't get full coverage on a $6,7,8,000 truck that body parts are so cheap for though. (I should also disclaim that my full coverage rates have always been relatively high--Insurance bills would destroy me if I paid full coverage for every car in my name).

PS. It's officially jacked, and I'm really sorry. Hopefully this will put an end to it. Atleast I didn't get on here to argue--as much as I wanted too, after I was called stupid.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 12-10-2010 at 03:05 AM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #79
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83burban View Post
jdurant - I don't want to turn this guys thread into an argument -.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
I don't want to turn it into that either..
Then don't! Discussions are fine, but heated conversation leads to reported posts and infractions. Please keep it civil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Like has been said, you're stupid, absolutely stupid if you get the bare minimum liability coverage..
Randy, please read my response above. You need to apologize and walk away from this. Any thing less will result in infractions being issued.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #80
Fastest32

Ok I settled with them today. I called them to check on progress and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They are keeping the truck and I'm getting every penny I put into that truck and maybe a little more. thank you to everyone for so much helpful advice and encouragement. I have my eye on am 87 here in town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #81
VA72C10
VA72C10

congrats!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #82
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

lol you need to tell us more about the replacement one!! pics!! ASAP!!!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #83
Fastest32

I'll keep y'all updated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #84
INSIDIOUS '86

i think we should have a stickied thread with information and advice on insurance companys since it is an issue that effects us all and likely something we all will go through with cars like these. would you akll think this is a good idea?
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #85
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

great sounds like it went your way!!
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #86
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
.... would you akll think this is a good idea?
If we had a sticky for every post that contained good information we would have a heading page that was nothing but stickies. If there is a quality post on any topic, we do put it in our FAQ forum. You know the FAQ forum right? Thats the place that almost no one ever looks before they ask a commonly requested bit of information...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #87
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest32 View Post
Ok I settled with them today. I called them to check on progress and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They are keeping the truck and I'm getting every penny I put into that truck and maybe a little more. thank you to everyone for so much helpful advice and encouragement. I have my eye on am 87 here in town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats great! Its about time they settled with you in the proper fashion. Sorry to hear you had to go through so much crap to get it, but at least it sounds like you got compensated for your investment in the truck.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #88
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
i think we should have a stickied thread with information and advice on insurance companys since it is an issue that effects us all and likely something we all will go through with cars like these. would you akll think this is a good idea?
In addition this site cannot give out advice that could be construed as legal advice. Nobody on this site is a lawyer nor do we claim to be lawyers and even tho some of us have some expertise in this field do to our careers or personal experience, we cannot offer any kind of professional advice in legal matters. Also there is a difference in insurance rules from state to state and what works in wyoming may be totaly different than what happens in arkansas and it may be a third way in texas

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote