The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #76
Hardesty454

Jolene

I got out to the truck for a bit. Today was WAY hot, so I was a little worn down but still managed to get a little done. Got the steering column out of the truck. Also got the cab bolts out and its ready to be removed. Just have to move things around in the garage so I can take it off. I need to fab up a stand for it with some wheels so I can move it around if need be. I was thinkin to myself a bit ago.... How do I have a 3 car garage and no room to do anything!?!?
Attached Images

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #77
Hardesty454

Re: Project: Jo, The other girlfriend.

Well!

I went out tonight and tested out my new blaster for about 5 mins. Thing is cooooool!
I started to tear out the front steering assembly but man, that stuff is STUCK! What do you guys use to help tear that stuff apart?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #78
DD1

Can you post a pic of the blaster you got? I would like to see it as I may be getting one in the neat future.

When you say steering assembly, exactly what are you trying to take apart?

It's looking good so far. I built a cart out of some 4x4's, 2x4's, and some dolly wheels. Saw a pic of what someone else did and copied it. Would have loved to have done a metal one, but did not know how to weld then.
Posted via Mobile Device
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #79
Hardesty454

Oh yea, forgot those! I bought it off ebay for $100 to my door. Picked up the blast media from Tractor Supply. Its the Diamond Black Slag. The blaster I picked up if almost identical to one at TSC. In reality I should have just picked that one up and saved shipping time and what not. Theirs is $120-130 ish.

The stuff about steering Im talking about is all the tie rod ends and all that jazz. Im going to be blasting all of it and wanted to do it individually, off the frame. This way I can Paint them and put on all new rubbers.

Today at work my helper (well technically I was the helper today ) has me almost talked into an LS swap. He has a buddy who picks them up for around a grand, complete with harness and all. UGH!! If I do an LS swap I will be in DEEP. Ive done quite a few engine swaps but never anything newer than 75'. Computers in cars freak me out a bit. I was also debating my suspension as well with him and he if pushing me to bag it. Ive always heard bags ride rough. Plus I dont want to do more than a c-noth in the rear, I like having a useful bed, just in case.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #80
shawno72
C/10 junkie

That sand blast machine will get a lot of use.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #81
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
That sand blast machine will get a lot of use.
Posted via Mobile Device
EXACTLY! at least you get me shawn. My Fiance always nags at me when I buy new tools. "why do you need that, will you even use it!?"

Of course I will!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #82
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Start by sandblasting the good if her car!! Then explain why you need a paint gun set up
Posted via Mobile Device

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #83
Hardesty454

Quote:
Start by sandblasting the good if her car!! Then explain why you need a paint gun set up
Posted via Mobile Device
hahaha, yea right. I do have a decent paint gun. It will need upgraded when I do the body work and paint on ol' Jolene.

Id die if anything happend to the paint on the Z. Almost 50k for that darn car and she only washes it... wait, I wash it.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #84
shawno72
C/10 junkie

And drive it. That looks like a really fun car.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #85
Hardesty454

Quote:
And drive it. That looks like a really fun car.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh it is. 337hp at the wheels... and doesnt weigh anything! haha

It was one of those things where, I needed a new car so I got rid of mine... bought the Z... and drove her old car haha. Decided later I couldnt handle driving a 4 banger celica so I sold that and bought a Tahoe. (thought we might have some kids in the near future and wanted the space.)

maybe next time I see you Ill take ya for a drive in her. MAYBE even let ya drive!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #86
DD1

Question Re: Project: Jo, The other girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Oh yea, forgot those! I bought it off ebay for $100 to my door. Picked up the blast media from Tractor Supply. Its the Diamond Black Slag. The blaster I picked up if almost identical to one at TSC. In reality I should have just picked that one up and saved shipping time and what not. Theirs is $120-130 ish.

The stuff about steering Im talking about is all the tie rod ends and all that jazz. Im going to be blasting all of it and wanted to do it individually, off the frame. This way I can Paint them and put on all new rubbers.

Today at work my helper (well technically I was the helper today ) has me almost talked into an LS swap. He has a buddy who picks them up for around a grand, complete with harness and all. UGH!! If I do an LS swap I will be in DEEP. Ive done quite a few engine swaps but never anything newer than 75'. Computers in cars freak me out a bit. I was also debating my suspension as well with him and he if pushing me to bag it. Ive always heard bags ride rough. Plus I dont want to do more than a c-noth in the rear, I like having a useful bed, just in case.
I like the idea of an LS swap. I like having a modern engine in an older vehicle. $1000 is a nice price too. I spent at least $2000 buying a 350 and having it rebuilt.

I am not really into the whole air bag thing so I can't really comment on that. I am more into a semi original look with modern conveniences. Wish I had gotten a LS engine with fuel injection and computer controlled. I know the computer stuff can be a pain in the ass, but the benefits are pretty nice in my opinion.

I am also not even close to being an expert on removing the front end. I know how to remove the tie-rods and a couple other parts, but its not something I have done a lot of. I am probably not going to take my front end apart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #87
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
I like the idea of an LS swap. I like having a modern engine in an older vehicle. $1000 is a nice price too. I spent at least $2000 buying a 350 and having it rebuilt.

I am not really into the whole air bag thing so I can't really comment on that. I am more into a semi original look with modern conveniences. Wish I had gotten a LS engine with fuel injection and computer controlled. I know the computer stuff can be a pain in the ass, but the benefits are pretty nice in my opinion.

I am also not even close to being an expert on removing the front end. I know how to remove the tie-rods and a couple other parts, but its not something I have done a lot of. I am probably not going to take my front end apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im not sure about the bag option but its never not an option. As far as the LS if I can get the whole set up Id be happy spending 1k. Even 2k. I share you views on the whole old vehicle with modern conveniences. Im not building a race high HP machine. Just something to cruise in. To work or on road trips to my Dads house (500 miles away) and want it to be 110% reliable.

The more I think about it the more Im wanting to do the LS swap.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #88
DD1

Quote:
Im not sure about the bag option but its never not an option. As far as the LS if I can get the whole set up Id be happy spending 1k. Even 2k. I share you views on the whole old vehicle with modern conveniences. Im not building a race high HP machine. Just something to cruise in. To work or on road trips to my Dads house (500 miles away) and want it to be 110% reliable.

The more I think about it the more Im wanting to do the LS swap.
Yeah, I pretty much have the same thoughts as you. I want something I can drive, use, and rely on. Not looking for a show truck or a race truck. Practicality and reliability are my goals. I do want it to look nice however, although I don't have the time, patience, or cash for a full frame off. I suppose if I had the time and patience, I could save the cash, but its not gonna happen.

I wish I had done more research and/or been more knowledgeable before I dumped money into the 350. With the advantage of hindsight, which is always 20/20, I would have much preferred an LS engine. If i had the cash I would put a TBI in the 350. But I have already wasted more money rebuilding my quadrajet than it would have cost me to just buy a rebuilt one.

Oh well, enough with the what if's and wish I had's; gotta move on. Going to the rhinebeck NY car show this weekend. Hoping to find some useful parts at good prices.

It's looks like you are making a lot of progress pretty quick. I need to get moving!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #89
Hardesty454

Quote:
Yeah, I pretty much have the same thoughts as you. I want something I can drive, use, and rely on. Not looking for a show truck or a race truck. Practicality and reliability are my goals. I do want it to look nice however, although I don't have the time, patience, or cash for a full frame off. I suppose if I had the time and patience, I could save the cash, but its not gonna happen.

I wish I had done more research and/or been more knowledgeable before I dumped money into the 350. With the advantage of hindsight, which is always 20/20, I would have much preferred an LS engine. If i had the cash I would put a TBI in the 350. But I have already wasted more money rebuilding my quadrajet than it would have cost me to just buy a rebuilt one.

Oh well, enough with the what if's and wish I had's; gotta move on. Going to the rhinebeck NY car show this weekend. Hoping to find some useful parts at good prices.

It's looks like you are making a lot of progress pretty quick. I need to get moving!
Posted via Mobile Device

The "What If's" are what keep us going. At least for me. Time is all I have! In reality I dont understand how most of the builds on these forums get done so quickly. There is millions of dollars in these builds (combined, Im sure just thousands individually ) but it seems like these guys save 20k and just blow it all at once! I'm really just taking my time and spending a little here and there as I go and it already kills my checking account! You are doing an absolute fine job on your truck and in reality an old school set up (carb and mechanicals) really isnt a bad choice as it is. The newer stuff is nice though if you need a 100% daily driver. Swap meet are the way to go if you looking for good cheap parts. (cheap as in costly, not quality). Theyre like disney land for the car guys and girls of the world!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #90
DD1

Hey Rob, I saw you were online and sent you a PM to get your opinion on something. when you get a chance, please take a look. thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #91
cxcoleman67

Boy your garage floor looks like mine..lol.. Keep up the good work.

Charles
cxcoleman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #92
Hardesty454

Haha thanks! Yep hard at work. Right now just selling off everything in my way to make room for part to come and me to get around!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #93
cxcoleman67

Always need MORE TOOLS...lol...i cant get enough and my fiance has the same issues....do you really need this or that...and how often will you really use it...lol
cxcoleman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #94
DD1

Next time she complains about buying tools, tell her you'll just hire someone to do the work, and let her know how much it will cost. When you buy the tools, you do the work yourself, and get to keep the tools. Helped me justify buying my welder; found a guy who was going to charge $400 a day to weld. I don't hear many complaints anymore.

Any updates on your truck progress?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #95
Hardesty454

Quote:
Next time she complains about buying tools, tell her you'll just hire someone to do the work, and let her know how much it will cost. When you buy the tools, you do the work yourself, and get to keep the tools. Helped me justify buying my welder; found a guy who was going to charge $400 a day to weld. I don't hear many complaints anymore.

Any updates on your truck progress?
Oops, missed this. Still stripping and saving money. Ive decided to run with an accuair kit as well. Thinking about starting a new thread as this has become a completely different build than when I started. It is going to be slow but its going to be fun and awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #96
BuiltwithIvy

thats the hardest part in my opinion, staying on track with the original plan... I am typically really good about it, as I just look for another "good deal" and get another truck for the new direction I would have planned. I'm still waiting on a deal like I got for my current one, or my model A for that matter, preferably in the form of a 69 camaro lol
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #97
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltwithIvy View Post
thats the hardest part in my opinion, staying on track with the original plan... I am typically really good about it, as I just look for another "good deal" and get another truck for the new direction I would have planned. I'm still waiting on a deal like I got for my current one, or my model A for that matter, preferably in the form of a 69 camaro lol
Thats a good point. My change in direction is so much a change in direction as it is the "if Im going to do it, do it the way I want it". This is the 5th 67-72 truck Ive owned. All have been different. Ive had them lifted on 35's to plain stock, to static dropped. With as far as Ive taken this one down, its time to just do it the way I want and not worry about the money. So, I'll be saving for the expensive parts and taking my time on this build.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #98
DD1

Quote:
Oops, missed this. Still stripping and saving money. Ive decided to run with an accuair kit as well. Thinking about starting a new thread as this has become a completely different build than when I started. It is going to be slow but its going to be fun and awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
So what exactly is the other direction you are thinking about going with?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #99
mikeleeshields

So how is that sand blaster working out for you? I just bought one yesterday at TSC. Pretty much identical. I haven't gotten to use it yet though.
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #100
Hardesty454

Quote:
So what exactly is the other direction you are thinking about going with?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, wanting to go with the accuair setup for the ride comfort and ride height. Not too concerned with getting super crazy low like a lot of the guys on here. Im also going with an LS swap. Maybe Ls2? Ls1? Ly6? still not certain. I just want the comfort and ability to go on longer trips in the truck. I started out wanting to clean up the body and just do a nice paint job. Now Im tossing the idea of 68 clip swap. I have a 68 hood, but I may also cut and fab the front to make it work on the clip I have. ideas ideas... I will also be running four way 5x5 discs. wilwood makes a nice set up, but not sure. Rear window will be swapped for the automatic opening kind, you see them a lot in the newer dodges.

honestly... Ive decided to upgrade every bit of this old truck to make it a nice DD, with show quality fabrication played into it.

Its going to take some time and a little money but I think it will be worth it to me in the end.