The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #76
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Okay, but you know as well as me, that when that happens...the "might-as-wells" start jumping out at ya, then you'll have it all apart, shaving the firewall, and then...etc!!!

J/k Jonathan...I know whatever you do, it'll be nice...plus that front clip is an easy removal....my new motto is if I can't put it in the garage on Friday and have it driving by the following Monday....I'm not gonna do it (BUT Jesse has to remind me of that.....ALOT!!!!!)
I definitely am a "might as well" sufferer

But I have my realist cap on for this build

Drove the truck on the interstate at 65-70 for 1/2hour with no issues....on my way to a shop where we'll be installing patch panels tomorrow and welding some extra door holes. Looking forward to getting the floor solid

Then I'll be filling the driver's door with guts and installing it...

Once I get the pieces together for the front clip swap I will take the front clip off, clean the front suspension and paint it, do a final degrease and clean of the engine and paint that, and paint the exhaust manifolds. Then paint the firewall, install the HEI with new wires, and then put the new front clip on. Will be a little while because we have our third little one on the way next week....

For now I'm focusing on cab rust repair, looking for a good bench or cheap buckets and will do some painting and soundproofing in the cab once the rust is fixed. Then will install the "new" used mat from Lolife99 and the "new" used steering wheel after I fix that....and install a new dash pad after painting the top of the dash satin black.

The other side project will be the tach vac dash. I won't be doing air ride now ....I can see myself going too crazy with it....so I will be sticking with a static drop. The truck rides great now....steering has play but it's manual and I have a power steering pump I'll also swap in while the front clip is off

So....that's all I have planned for now
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #77
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Good plan. I have a 67 bench seat that would be perfect for it. Shipping would probably cost more than its worth though. Best of luck with the new kid. I have 3 myself. They always get along better when one is gone. It was the same with me and my 2 sisters.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #78
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Now you have written down....when and IF you venture outside of these plans, I'll refer you back to them to help keep ya on track

Sounds good though!!! If I had as many parts laying around like you, I'd feel pretty confident in changing things out with no issues!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #79
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Good plan. I have a 67 bench seat that would be perfect for it. Shipping would probably cost more than its worth though. Best of luck with the new kid. I have 3 myself. They always get along better when one is gone. It was the same with me and my 2 sisters.
Thanks....I'd love to have the seat but as you said shipping would be a ton...
Mine's not horrible....springs seem to be good it just needs foam and a cover so I'll take it to my upholstry guy and see what kinda price I can get for a nice custom covered seat.... (he's very affordable)

It'll be a new experience with three....everyone we know says it'll be twice as hard. I'm personally happy it's another girl. I'd love to have a boy to teach how to grow into a Christian man...but I feel comfortable raising my girls....they say the third time's the charm.....right???

Plus, despite both being very girly and into dolls/everything pink......my older daughter (7 in November) is into sports - I've already coached her in t-ball and she's good....
....and my younger (turning 4 Sunday) is also atheletic but is REALLY into my trucks and likes to hang out with me as I work so I think I have a helper/enthusiast there.

We'll see how this new baby is...although I don't care as long as she's healthy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Now you have written down....when and IF you venture outside of these plans, I'll refer you back to them to help keep ya on track

Sounds good though!!! If I had as many parts laying around like you, I'd feel pretty confident in changing things out with no issues!!!
Thanks ... Yeah...I wrote down the list half so I could write it all out and see what I was forgetting/missing to complete it (like a ps intermediate shaft for the column) And half so you guys can hold me accountable and smack me back into reality if I start veering too far off course
Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #80
Richard H.
Spanked once

I had one of those reality hats...(sigh) , keep yours snug this time. Or not
Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #81
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
I had one of those reality hats...(sigh) , keep yours snug this time. Or not
Thanks

I am going up tonight around 5:30 to work on the cab rust repairs. Looking forward to making the floors solid....

...also have spent most of the morning out in the garage going through my boxes of parts. Have found a lot of little things I can throw on this truck as I get to them. Also found a bunch of parts that I'm going to put on here or ebay to help fund the few parts I need to buy on the build...hoping to have no money out of pocket on this one (although I realize I could keep the cash from the parts I sell....but I feel better off looking at this like no money out of pocket )
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #82
VA72C10
VA72C10

Here's some of the parts going on at some point....including the steering wheel (got it today) shown is a better chrome horn cap I have that will be really nice once I polish it.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #83
VA72C10
VA72C10

oh no....I got my toe in the picture!!! (gotta find that thread and post this in it )
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #84
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

Lol dang thats a clean foot. I like to be barefoot =]
Posted via Mobile Device
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #85
Krooked Kustoms

top job on the bugdet build mate, cant wait to see how she turns out! What year is that steering wheel and what is the diameter? Lookin at puttin one on me 69 but im keepin it a manual steering box and I want to keep the 17 in wheel. Any help would be tops. Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
Krooked Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #86
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
Lol dang thats a clean foot. I like to be barefoot =]
Posted via Mobile Device
I was out in the garage all day before those pics so it's not so clean actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATYAS 69 View Post
top job on the bugdet build mate, cant wait to see how she turns out! What year is that steering wheel and what is the diameter? Lookin at puttin one on me 69 but im keepin it a manual steering box and I want to keep the 17 in wheel. Any help would be tops. Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for checking out the build. It's a 67-68 wheel and it is a 16 1/2" diameter wheel. Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #87
VA72C10
VA72C10

We got the passenger rocker(S) out tonight. Had one over top of the rusted factory one. So we cut both out and put in a new one. It lines up great with the door. He also adjusted the door, and he welded up the extra holes in the passenger door before I got there. I got two slip on cab mounts trimmed down so they would fit. They say made in Canada....and didn't fit at all without a ton of modification....they are about ready to be welded on....but that'll be next visit....(this coming Monday evening) It's getting there one step at a time. Pictures to follow later....
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #88
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

oh garage. man that still clean =] check out my dirt yard work place.

oh btw i think tomorrow i can show u cab for panels
Accepting part donations
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #89
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
oh garage. man that still clean =] check out my dirt yard work place.

oh btw i think tomorrow i can show u cab for panels
Cool

Well, here are a few pics from tonight's festivities

Looks nice, huh? After this we cut out the rusty area attached to the inner rocker and ground/chiseled off the rest of the pieces on top.

This was a rocker he had in his shop...not sure of brand but it wouldn't very well at all....(looks okay in the picture but the gaps were way off and it didn't match up inside...

We ended up using a slip over rocker patch I had from Triplus. It actually fit really well....we just have to make a patch for the front edge. He already made one for the back edge.

Here's the door with mirror holes welded up with the rocker on

Here's the gaps
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #90
Slick67
Sofa King Crazy!!

Another TOE-tally awesome project from VA!!!

My Blazer Build (New) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654650

My 67 Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335650

67 Chevy LWB big window a/c AKA TOTALLED BY A JACKASS.
1972 2wd Blazer "Porterbuilt and Sloshed"
Slick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #91
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick67 View Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #92
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick67 View Post
Hey, at least there is a shoe in the pictures of the rust repair

I started a thread about the rims and a couple members told me they are Dodge wheels. So I am on the lookout for some cool center caps that fit them. Today and this weekend are super busy and the truck is at the shop for now so no new work on it....although if I get some time I'll start putting together the pieces for the tach dash. The swap will wait until I put the HEI in but I want to see if I have to order a lense or not so I'm going to go through my stack-o-gauge-stuff and see if I have one that is decent...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #93
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

What needs to be done, if anything to run a stock tach dash with an HEI? Why are there disclaimers on the reproduction tachs about not using with HEI?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #94
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
What needs to be done, if anything to run a stock tach dash with an HEI? Why are there disclaimers on the reproduction tachs about not using with HEI?
It is my experience and understanding from others that 95% of the time nothing is required to run a stock tach dash with an HEI. I ran one in my 71 blazer with no issues and it seemed to read accurately, and many other members have stock tachs with HEI and have been running them without issue for years.

some have said the rpm's were way off and they had to install a signal filter in line with the hei lead? The thing I like to note is factory tachs were never extremely accurate in the first place and 40 years doesn't make them any more accurate I have a three speed on the floor in this truck and would like to have a general idea of rpm's other than just what I hear the engine telling me

In regards to the aftermarket tachs...I have to admit that is a mystery to me. I have tachs from three different manufacturers and they look like the same back stamping, face, printed circuit board inside the tach, and as far as I can tell they are identical. However, some vendors advertise that you CAN NOT use one of their aftermarket tachs with HEI or it voids the warranty... and a few members have had aftermarket tachs literally go up in smoke.... That being said, some manufacturers have no such disclaimer and I also know of several people running aftermarket tachs including one who has a complete reproduction gauge cluster setup and has been running it with HEI for over 5 years and 50K miles with no issues....
To further cloud the mystery some vendors sell different wiring harnesses for points or HEI....but upon inspection there are no filters or in-line fuses or anything that would change their performance...their appearance was just slightly different. SO......short story made long.....I have no clue as to why some aftermarket tachs work with HEI and some don't.

My educated guess is that there is something else going on in the electrical system of some who have issues with the aftermarket tachs (ground issue or signal issue from the HEI) OR....there are faulty tachs produced by the manufacturer (who hasn't had to return 2-3 new parts because of them being faulty right out of the box until they find one that lasts?)

The one thing I like to do is to run a separate ground from the back of the tach to a good ground either on the dash or firewall. I know the factory didn't do this....but it's not going to hurt anything and is an extra safeguard to me....just make sure to leave a lot of extra wire to make it easier when removing the cluster.

Hope that helps although there are no firm answers...

Last edited by VA72C10; 08-12-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelled edjumacated wrong :lol:
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #95
VA72C10
VA72C10

Got my new floor mat in from lolife99 today. It will stay boxed up for a bit till I'm ready...then I'll roll it out in the sun before I install it in the truck...but no need to take it out now as I'm cutting out floor pans rust

Also went through more parts tonight and set aside some stainless screws for the interior, a set of misc screws and lock nuts I will need, some bulbs, defrost hoses, some spray paint I will be using, and some of the tach/vac parts.

I also polished the horn button for the steering wheel and it's shiny

Put together a bunch of parts I'll be listing on the board and some I'll list on ebay (because people seem to pay a ridiculous amount for these parts on there )
Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #96
VA72C10
VA72C10

Also found a forgotten treasure I recenltly had purchased a nice black dash pad off the board so I have that to replace the mostly non-existent factory one....
Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #97
JRBECK64

Nice Toes and the pictures of the rusty Rockers has brought back some bad memories but Im glad Im past that point in my project. Looks like your making some great headway and look forward to seeing some more. Doing a great job.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #98
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Nice Toes and the pictures of the rusty Rockers has brought back some bad memories but Im glad Im past that point in my project. Looks like your making some great headway and look forward to seeing some more. Doing a great job.

JRBECK64
Thanks

I would be in over my head but Gene of Gene's body shop is REALLY helping me out. He's going to give me a crash course in welding too which is awesome!!!

I got my cab sold so other than doors, fenders, and small parts my 72 super project is gone....which is good because I have room now in the garage...and more cash for this build
Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #99
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

sweet! i needa organize like u
Accepting part donations
Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #100
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
sweet! i needa organize like u
I still have a LOOOOONG way to go to be as organized as I like....I really just need space and shelving...right now too much is boxed up. It's divided by type of part...but still means I have to look through the box to find what I need and invariably it's on the bottom of the box and I make a mess out of everything trying to get to it...