The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #76
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Need some help with noise laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Been down that road more than once.
First off, find out what kansas has on the books about muffler and exhaust requirements.
If its simple like ours;
Proper muffler(s), no holes, no remote control cutouts, no holes, and exits beyond the passenger cabin you are good to go. No db limits on the books. Yet.

If you comply, its straight forward: 'Hey man, it doesn't bother the cops, and I've been followed a lot, and it is completely legal front to back'. Usually shuts up the smart ones if they are trying to get you technically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
This isn't directed at the OP (who's making an effort to quiet things down) but to you other guys with the "My truck's legal so go f--- yourself!" attitude. Being 'that guy' is nothing to be proud of.

Sure, if it's your weekend cruiser, go wild. But when you're out getting her warmed up everyday at 6am in a residential area... it gets old.

And of course you might be dealing with unreasonable neighbors and whatnot, but a little common sense and respect goes a long way.
It's either legal or it ain't.....I don't remember the OP saying "6 am" .....and if he did what does the law say ? According to the above post by "Axle" he is in full compliance. Where I live it's 7 am and basically anything goes...I have a tree service company and we wake people up all the time at 7:01... "to fuc**** bad" ....it gets 100 degrees out here in the summer and I'm goin to get it done the easy way or the hard way.

Some neighbors you can never please no matter what you do (if it wasn't his truck I guarantee it would be something else)....I've had dogs that pissed off my neighbors before, but as long as they weren't a nuisance between 10 pm and 7 am there wasn't a thing they could do, legally. I had one neighbor yelling at my dogs during the day, so I got in his face just once and never heard from him again.

I hear you about noise pollution....I've got a beef with open pipe Harley's flying by when you have your window down.....it's annoying as hell, but the law is very vague when it comes to bikes and very clear with cars and trucks....the bikes can basically do whatever they want and the law can't do sh**. So your basically just have to deal with it, apparently it ain't going to change any time soon.

Why give respect to someone who apparently isn't giving him, with the loud music ? Letting your neighbors walk all over you ain't nothing to be proud of either.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #77
mdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
It's either legal or it ain't.....I don't remember the OP saying "6 am" .....and if he did what does the law say ? According to the above post by "Axle" he is in full compliance. Where I live it's 7 am and basically anything goes...I have a tree service company and we wake people up all the time at 7:01... "to fuc**** bad" ....it gets 100 degrees out here in the summer and I'm goin to get it done the easy way or the hard way.

Some neighbors you can never please no matter what you do (if it wasn't his truck I guarantee it would be something else)....I've had dogs that pissed off my neighbors before, but as long as they weren't a nuisance between 10 pm and 7 am there wasn't a thing they could do, legally. I had one neighbor yelling at my dogs during the day, so I got in his face just once and never heard from him again.

I hear you about noise pollution....I've got a beef with open pipe Harley's flying by when you have your window down.....it's annoying as hell, but the law is very vague when it comes to bikes and very clear with cars and trucks....the bikes can basically do whatever they want and the law can't do sh**. So your basically just have to deal with it, apparently it ain't going to change any time soon.

Why give respect to someone who apparently isn't giving him, with the loud music ? Letting your neighbors walk all over you ain't nothing to be proud of either.
Like I said, my comments weren't directed at the OP. He never said he was starting up at 6am, I just used that as an example.

My point is, a civil discussion with your neighbors is a lot more helpful then just ignoring them or getting aggressive. That's how you end up with these escalating neighbor wars.

Sure, some people aren't reasonable. That's when you need to involve the law.
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #78
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Hey I agree with you for the most part....and I would do the same with most neighbors, but I think in certain situations there's just nuthin you can do but stand your ground
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #79
andrewmp6

Basicly your dad started it *****ing about his music he is just using your truck to ***** back is all.No matter what you do will make him happy just ignore the idiot.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #80
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Basicly your dad started it *****ing about his music he is just using your truck to ***** back is all.No matter what you do will make him happy just ignore the idiot.
I agree, if your truck is legal and yall have to put up with his drumming then he'll have to put up with your truck.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #81
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
This.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #82
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i dunno..........this is getting a little messy. And trust me, you don't need any messes in your life, even seemingly "little" ones like this.

If you really play guitar, then i would just play along the next time they start playing. i'm thinking his anger may diminish even if just a little and that may be all you need........

2) i'm still baffled at "my" guy's behavior; He's sort of in the vein of the "biker" type although i don't think he rides. i'm not judging (well, ok i am) i just sort of question the maturity level and mentality of people who are seemingly addicted to noise.

If you have time i think the south park episode entitled, "The F word" pretty much sums it all up. This can be viewed at their site.

3) i would like to start a separate topic dealing with this exact subject but may be short on time. But anybody else is welcomed to start one.

4) RE: parking downhill and coasting out. Kenny---it's me, stew. i find that idling in and out of the neighborhood (when nessesary) at about 6,7,800rpm is not unreasonable as far as noise. My rig is not that loud but it is noticeable especially off idle from light to full throttle. On flat land steady state crusing it's not too bad.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #83
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
This isn't directed at the OP (who's making an effort to quiet things down) but to you other guys with the "My truck's legal so go f--- yourself!" attitude. Being 'that guy' is nothing to be proud of.

Sure, if it's your weekend cruiser, go wild. But when you're out getting her warmed up everyday at 6am in a residential area... it gets old.

And of course you might be dealing with unreasonable neighbors and whatnot, but a little common sense and respect goes a long way.
Why should any of us spend more money on our already legal vehicles just to please some neighborhood moron?
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote