The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #76
dragonwrecker

Re: my wife's question

i'm lucky my wife is a gearhead like me.she doesnt spend alot of time in the shop with me but is content to the fact that my other women have motors and wheels.she just tends to get mad with the amount of time i tend to spend on my truck
dragonwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #77
gmcandbeer

These trucks can be a disease though, which can make marrige harder, i think...But, you gotta try and make it exiting for them. We all go fishing in the old truck. My wife just helped me get it, a 72 k2500 4spd!! Lucky guy and it being the 3rd gmc and her making it possible is pretty cool. My 3 yr old daughter said to mom the other day, " i like dadas old truck alot mommy, i like it more than his new one"(05)! So i got backup either way!
gmcandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #78
James Hart

I joined the forum with the purpose of researching old Chevy trucks enough to build/maintain one for the wife to use as a daily driver... my main hobbies are playing music and building tube amps, but I'm the son of a gearhead and know my way around car repairs a little.
James Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #79
LMREESE

Horses are my business, old trucks and tractors, equipment, rusted junk of every imaginable origin are my hobby. My girlfriend's hobby/life is horses. She complained about my first acquisition after we started dating so when she brought home another horse I let her have it with both barrels. She never said another word. Now we both bring home whatever we want and neither complains but I can tell sometimes she wants to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #80
FLDBRED

My wife and kids got me my 71 4x4 shortbed for Father's Day. so I guess it's all good by them!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #81
mud.man.rj

Letting my girls learn to drive a standard with my 71 and they sure like the old girl a lot more, also the coments after they told some boy's were just the coolest, your Dad let you drive his truck, woooow, I wish.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #82
ghostvbhc

I'm in a relationship with a girl that relatively supports my hobby of it. I'm only on truck one and me and my dad have been working on it for a while now and she supports me with it, as I support her with her hobbies. It's a give and take thing.
ghostvbhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #83
Steve Hafner

. . . .

With my "limited income" I couldn't have afforded a wife AND a truck . . . I chose the TRUCK !!!

After all, if I ever want to feel like I'm married, I can always buy a parrot and teach it to nag me and throw my money away !!! LOL

. . . .
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #84
WIDESIDE72

My wife tolerates my hobby because I try to buy and sell stuff to generate money for builds, instead of raiding the checking account. She said she also likes know where I am at, as opposed to a bar, strip club, etc. Remind your wife of the latter.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #85
dmw319

been married 3 years and had the truck for 3 months. were having our first child in january.. so i really cant speak from any experience just yet

But what I would say is its better for us to be working on our cars and spending money on them at working on them late at night than to be out messing around and spending money on other women. agreed?

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #86
DevilDog Aggie

My wife is great about Reveille! When I was needing to determine exactly which tranny I had (while I was at work), she climbed under her and took pics for me!!! Great woman!!! :-) She indulges me as long as it doesn't take away from our time. She also jumps in and helps me when I need it. Tools, tea, beer etc..... :-)

Just to add to above, what works wonders for Jackie is sending her flowers just because and spreading a blanket under the tree, fire pit roaring, sushi and a chilled bottle of wine! :-)
Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!

Last edited by DevilDog Aggie; 09-21-2012 at 10:38 AM.
DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #87
CC69Rat

Married almost three years to a professional ballroom dancer.

Yeah.. it's a give and take thing. I go to class with her, she lets me work on my trucks. Two different people with common interests fall in love, get married, etc. They are still individuals and deserve space from time to time. $80/hr. for ballroom dance lessons adds up pretty fast so she doesn't question my spending on my trucks.

just a mutual trust thing with us. She is of Asian decent but born and raised in Recifie Brazil. They just do not restore old vehicles like we do. She doesn't understand why I would put so much money into an old truck, nor can she see the potential of a restored vehicle when it's sitting in a barn (?) But she respects me for who I am and the way I was raised. Gear head and constantly looking for old 'diamonds in the rough'

Just like I try to learn Portugese and talk to her to truly know and understand her, .. she tries to understand the justification in restoring a 40+yr old vehicle. Marriage takes work, give and take, and a mutual respect. It's really pretty simple. Nobody likes to be controlled. My wife is a privlege for me, not a possession. I asked my wife to marry me and be my partner, not my slave. She has a choice to be with me or not to be. It's my job to make her want to stay.

When there's green grass in the field, the cow doesn't need a fence. Know what I mean? (not that my wife is a cow.. ) Fences wont make her stay.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #88
Tshort1

Married 10 years and going strong. I made it clear when I first met her almost 12 years ago that If you dont like me being in the garage most of the time leave now. She like most women dont understand the addication to trucks, or have the ability to see the end product when I bring home a rust bucket. So we have seprate accounts and split the bills what ever I have left over is mine and what ever she has let over is hers. it works great for us and we dont argue over money at all. She is a great Woman and takes care of me better than any other woman could.
Tshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #89
CC69Rat

^^ Completely agree. I think a married couple needs three SEPERATE bank accounts. One for each person, and one for the Home funds. Direct Deposit for the paychecks go to the individuals' accounts. Bills and running / Fun money are split 50/50 and whatever that amount is gets transferred from the individual acct to the home acct each month. All bills are paid from the home account. All bills combined =$4k a month. Husband, $2k, wife $2k. Whatever is left is in that account and that's your fun -- wife / dancing or husband / truck fund.

Money fights will be non-existant. Been there, done that. Proven fact. I was once married to a nazi accountant. I spent $25 on a new rear tire for my bicycle and we fought about it for a month. Ridiculous. We both work hard and I am entitled to some enjoyment too. The days of signing my check over to my wife for her to stash away in accounts I don't know exist .. or even have access to? Yep. All that came out in the divorce. That will never happen to me again and my current wife agrees. She makes more than I do ? Good for her. I make more? Good for me. As long as the bills are paid we shouldn't be fighting, right?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #90
longbed67

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneldeland View Post
"wives are like buses,if ya miss this one,there'll be another along in 15 min."

now a clean decnt running 67-72 chevy.....that's a keeper.....

Jfyi my wife doesn't read the forum.
lmao!!!

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #91
AirSpeed

My wife sanded the interior of my cab for me and hands me tools when I'm working on it. As long as I keep buying her stuff from Victoria's secret everything is just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #92
Fkns10

Wow, didn't read all of the posts but just want to let you know I gave up my trucking hobby for my (now) wife when she was still my girlfriend, it bugs the **** out of me every single day and there isn't a way for me to get back in without first getting out, just so you know.
Fkns10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #93
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
My wife sanded the interior of my cab for me and hands me tools when I'm working on it. As long as I keep buying her stuff from Victoria's secret everything is just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds like a win, win,.... win situation
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #94
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
That sounds like a win, win,.... win situation
Why yes, yes it is!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #95
JWall
Frequent Flyer

I've been married about 6 years now and she understands my madness.

I always joke & say she knew what she was getting into but thats also the truth.

I am lucky she very low maintenance & doesnt ever want much. So when she does I get it for her.

When I want to spend money on the trucks she is fine with it as long as the bills are paid & i'm not racking up credit card debit or something.

She doesnt mind if the time I spend in the garage or at the shows & she will help when if I need it. And if its not too hot out, she'll go with me to cruise in or a car show.

I am pretty lucky in the wife department.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #96
Mike Bradbury

After the year I dedicated to the rebuild, my wife officially named the truck "the other woman" and her patience was wearing quite thin after the second vacation I took from work to finish up the build. She would go to cruises with me and she would enjoy all the attention at the shows or at random stop lights but what really got her starting to enjoy the truck finally was when her and her friends decided to go to a drive-in movie and she asked if she could take the truck. I loaded the old OEM seat in the bed and off she went. When all of her friends saw her drive up in it, they loved it and could stop saying how cool the truck was. She texted me half way through the move; "I am having soo much fun, now I understand".

She understands that I have a love of building and she tries to be patient but letting her have fun too was the key to turning the corner in her perspective. It is no longer the other woman but just "Callahan"

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #97
James Hart

my wife test drove what is going to be her new daily driver yesterday.

she can't wait
Posted via Mobile Device
James Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #98
RPIcka

My dad had a '72 that I grew up driving in the back 40 and my wife always knew I wanted one and how much it meant to me. We just bought a '72 K10 and she wishes she could drive in it more. Hopefully those feelings continue until I get buried in it.
RPIcka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #99
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
When my brother and I were racing late model stock cars BOTH of our wives got together and gave us the ultimatum....it's either the race car or us! We sent BOTH of their selfish asses packing down the road. Best racing move we ever made..true story.
Now THAT is a great story.

Kinda funny story, i bought my K10 project within a week of when i started dating my wonderful girlfriend. I can still remember when she saw it for the first time when it was just a hair away from collapsing on itself it was so rusty. She goes-- "Whos truck is that?" ... me- "mine, just bought it today" Her- "ITS SO COOL!!" I'm going to name it... RUSTY!"
She is the most encouraging person i have behind this project and i know i wouldn't even have the truck at all if i was still with any of my ex's. She says things like "you havent worked on Rusty in a while, you should get out there", or "did you pull the trigger on that $1500 order of truck parts yet? what are you waiting for?" (sometimes she's a little TOO encouraging, LOL)

So, 70CHEVYBB, I recommend you have your wife sit down and read this whole thread. Seems to be 2 types of people on here, those with supportive spouses/girlfriends, and those who are divorced!
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #100
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

I've been married to my wife for just over a year, but have been together about 8....my wife loves that I'm a car guy....she doesn't have to worry about me being anywhere or with anyone I'm not supposed to be. She is totally on board for my plans to build a new 40x60 shop. She doesn't mind that I spend $ on my cars/trucks/bikes/hunting etc....... However there is give and take in our relationship...and I don't mind the new shoes in the closet or the new purse she's carrying, nor the stuff she wants for the house. We both work, we provide for the kids, pay the bills and she deserves her toys as well as I do..... that's how you keep harmony in the car guy world....there's gotta be compromise!
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote