The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
shoob

Projekt Housewyfe

Ive been in and out of the truck game growing up, always chevys......always. Ive had a stepfather/son shared 78 cheyenne 4x4 stepside project, a 76' scottsdale project, a 92 s-10 blazer 4-door bagged, layin frame on 20's, a 92' 2-door blazer staticly low as possible, without notching.......

This time around i was gonna try something a little different. outside of the truck world, im a toyota enthusiest. particularly the corolla, 70's-90's and all in between......so when i sold my lexus ls400 (for the love of god steer clear of these cars, especially 90-94's!!) i was out to pick up another project, something a little more "chill". plus i need an actual pickup around the house, and i by myself had never owned a pick up in 28 years of life, always suv's,

so i found an 89' toyota hilux, ext. cab v6 5-speed for $1000 on the local CL. before i could make it to the sellers house at 8am saturday morning, the truck sold at 7am, and the seller had just posted the truck 1am that morning....i was bummed.

however when scouring CL, i had looked at a few "back up plans" if certain trucks sold, or didnt meet my expectations....this was runner up to the toyota. familiarity, cost efficient, old school sled, easy, and well......a chevy.

i wrode with a friend 60 miles to where this truck sat. we arrive and im pleasantly suprised to see what im looking at for $900.......

this 81' chevrolet custom deluxe stepside. so for the price i was doubting the drive train or mechanical soundness of the truck.....seller reaches in, turns the key and it fires right up from cold start. (i checked before starting, =]) okay, so at this point im thinking maybe the trans has issues....i look under the truck, no leaks......cool. so i test drive it, went a mile turned around and handed him 9 $100 bills without hesitation.

threw $30 in the tank expecting the worst (because the quadrajet is leaking fuel from orifaces where fuel isnt supposed to be) then proceeded to drive 60 miles back home. $30 put 3/4 tank in it......i arrived home with a 1/2 tank.....cool.

heres the pic from the original CL ad.....

and a few snaps after purchase.....

now, its no where near perfect, lol. it runs.....but needs a carb, bad. but since this will be a round town, house truck, that wont be daily'd or doing any real labor....i have nothing but time.

so monday evening i spent 4 hours in the cab of the truck.....removing mounds of colt 45 cans, and random daisy chained wiring that went to switches, that went to other switches, that went cigarette lighter plugs, that went to fuse blocks, that went to nothing.......yeah.

also all these wires were strewn across the floor board, plain site, nothing but the drivers mat thrown over them.

this is after just 1 hour of chasing wire......

shoob is offline   Reply With Quote