The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #76
nlped

Re: '67 C30 Protecto plate camper conversion

Another...
Attached Images

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #77
flashed

Sometimes you got to scramble the eggs to make something better .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #78
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Sometimes you got to scramble the eggs to make something better .
Amen

Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #79
flashed

Im going to keep watching til the end ,maybe I will get my ton going soon.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #80
cooperhw

Sad to see or hear it being parted out. Bummer. Just started my similar adventure yesterday. At least parts will live on.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #81
nlped

Spent several hours today trying to get closer to the finish line. Finally got the rest of the walls and cab over taken off. It's almost a flatbed . I seperated all the crap and the scrap metal. Hopefully the $ for the scrapmetal will offset what the price at the dump will be
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #82
67-72C10

You might be able to find a pull camper that is nice enough and has around the same size as the back of your truck and put it on the truck frame.Something like pictured below.
It is would be sad to see it as parts and not a camper.

Steve
Attached Images

67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #83
67-72C10

And one more picture of a longer one...

Steve
Attached Images

67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #84
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
Spent several hours today trying to get closer to the finish line. Finally got the rest of the walls and cab over taken off. It's almost a flatbed . I seperated all the crap and the scrap metal. Hopefully the $ for the scrapmetal will offset what the price at the dump will be
Wow, you are wayyyyy more patient than I am. I just did this same thing to my truck "Homer" (the former motor home). It had copper piping, and aluminum skin. All of it went to the dump as fast as I could get it on the trailer. Cost me right at $80 in dump fee. I didn't see it being worth my time to strip it. Kudos to you though. Here's a pic of Homer where he sits now.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Not my intent. Just wanted to show you that there are others out here just as nuts as you are to tackle these. Dang lot of work getting that off wasn't it?
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #85
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack. Not my intent. Just wanted to show you that there are others out here just as nuts as you are to tackle these. Dang lot of work getting that off wasn't it?
No problem at all. I have posted in your "Homer" thread too. Nice to see someone with the same plan of attack.

I spent $72 at the dump, but I got $431 back in scrap money . I didn't expect to get that much, but I knew that was a lot of copper and quite a bit of cast aluminum + the aluminum siding. I sold the windows, door and rear sliding glass window and frame to camper restoration group out of Michigan for another $350 and they had all of them picked up by a 3rd party. I still have a few small parts that I'll probably throw on eVILbay soon for a few more bucks (ie the gas lanterns and some original fittings/fixtures). But I've done really well with few pieces I've sold and the scrapping...I've tripled my investment and still have a perfect set of '67 doors, a STRONG 468/TH400 combo, and a potentially great flatbed truck when I'm finished

Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #86
nlped

CooperHW,

Do you know which Open Road model yours was? I think mine was a bit shorter than yours... That's why I'm considering just going with a long flatbed vs. your plan of cutting and shortening.

Mine originally was sold to a guy from the Pheonix area in May of '67 and lived there until 2009. It sold to a family in Knoxville TN, which is where I bought it from. I figure that's why mine was rust free. Man it was a PITA to transport home...you can see from my pics that I used a MUCH bigger trailer than the one it sounds like you used

Old 12-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #87
flashed

Both of you guys have done a great job on your trucks and I will continue to follow them both.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #88
cooperhw

Quote:
CooperHW,

Do you know which Open Road model yours was? I think mine was a bit shorter than yours... That's why I'm considering just going with a long flatbed vs. your plan of cutting and shortening.

Mine originally was sold to a guy from the Pheonix area in May of '67 and lived there until 2009. It sold to a family in Knoxville TN, which is where I bought it from. I figure that's why mine was rust free. Man it was a PITA to transport home...you can see from my pics that I used a MUCH bigger trailer than the one it sounds like you used
On my frame there is a spot just rear of the cab where the Open Road company cut the frame in two, inserted an 18" section of frame welded up, than put a piece of fish plate connecting all three. So in short, mine was probably only 18" longer than yours, although, it looks a mile longer. What is your wheelbase?
Man, you did great on the salvage. I would have done that too, except time is my enemy. I live in an HOA subdivision and already have 2 63 GMC's in the backyard. Had to take Homer to my friends house with the promise that "it will be stripped and gone within 30 days". So the race is on. I have one of the 63's for sale so as soon as it goes bye bye, I can haul Homer home. I am sure my wife will love it????????
I have a 6 acre property where my vacation cabin (actually our home town) is located but it's over 3 hour drive so I only haul stuff up there that will be stashed and sitting for a while.
I "like you" am also not sure exactly which direction Homer will eventually go, but with only 61,000 original miles, running, and a new TH400 trans, I could not pass him up. It was like he was calling out to me (long distance) to come save him.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #89
nlped

I don't have any HOA's out here in the middle of nowhere, so I had a little time, but I still didn't really get started until I read your Homer thread and thought to myself, "what a slug I am compared to this guy", so I went to work. I'll measure the wheelbase this afternoon when I get home...

Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #90
cooperhw

Quote:
I don't have any HOA's out here in the middle of nowhere, so I had a little time, but I still didn't really get started until I read your Homer thread and thought to myself, "what a slug I am compared to this guy", so I went to work. I'll measure the wheelbase this afternoon when I get home...
Isn't it funny how sometime inspiration can come from reading another guys post. You say to yourself, get yer butt out there and get busy. I do it all the time. Siphon a little motivation I call it.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #91
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

I'd just like to know the guy who built it originally, he must of been a hoot!

I did the sale thing as your doing now about 4 years ago, my 16 year daughter and I flew out to Vegas and bought a 72 1 ton camper rig like yours. I drove it 1400 miles home. By the time I got it home there were aluminum panels flapping in the wind as they were about to tear off

On a side note, I had one heck of a scare a few weeks ago loading up a 77 short step I had just bought in Oregon. The truck and trailer were on a slope and as I was loading up I got the 77 halfway up the ramps and on the back of the trailer it lifted the rear wheels off the ground and away the thing went, down a hill and out into the street. All the time I'm in the 77 with my foot mashed to the floor trying to figure out what the heck was going on ....a pucker moment extraordinaire
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #92
doo142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
I'd just like to know the guy who built it originally, he must of been a hoot!

I did the sale thing as your doing now about 4 years ago, my 16 year daughter and I flew out to Vegas and bought a 72 1 ton camper rig like yours. I drove it 1400 miles home. By the time I got it home there were aluminum panels flapping in the wind as they were about to tear off

On a side note, I had one heck of a scare a few weeks ago loading up a 77 short step I had just bought in Oregon. The truck and trailer were on a slope and as I was loading up I got the 77 halfway up the ramps and on the back of the trailer it lifted the rear wheels off the ground and away the thing went, down a hill and out into the street. All the time I'm in the 77 with my foot mashed to the floor trying to figure out what the heck was going on ....a pucker moment extraordinaire
A moment like that makes you feel alive!!! I'm sure you know now but ... You gotta block the tail so it's not so hard on the coupler also, loved your travel story and your score. Sorry to hyjack
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #93
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
That sounds like you probably ended up with a serious pucker mark in the drivers seat of that '77. You wouldn't have been able to drive a #6 penny nail up my tail hole with a sledge hammer.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #94
nlped

Did some measuring and mine is a regular 157" wheelbase with a ton hanging off the rear. Flatbed?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #95
'68 Newtricks

Crew Cab flatbed dually with small tubs for tucked wheels

can't let a bad RV ruin a good truck
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #96
cooperhw

Come on Ed. Let's see some progress pics. I am sure you have done something to Chubby. It's amazing that through a board like this I can have a conversation (and find) another guy on the other side of the country making lemonade out of a bag of lemons. You can point to me while telling your wife, "See, it's not just me. It's a disease. We can't help ourselves. It's not really our fault. Somebody needed to save em".
At least that's how I tell it.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #97
nlped

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Come on Ed. Let's see some progress pics. I am sure you have done something to Chubby. It's amazing that through a board like this I can have a conversation (and find) another guy on the other side of the country making lemonade out of a bag of lemons. You can point to me while telling your wife, "See, it's not just me. It's a disease. We can't help ourselves. It's not really our fault. Somebody needed to save em".
At least that's how I tell it.
Oh, fear not...I blame you for my resurgence for resurrecting chubby (to my wife )... I show her how fast you've been moving on yours and tell her I have to get my a$$ in gear. I did get it back running and the rest of the camper floor removed. I'm thinking I'm going to use my extra cab that I have as the replacement and just use the chubby cab to section out my patch pieces (their bound to be better than aftermarket, and there paid for).

Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #98
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sorry it didn't pan out like you wanted, it is a great truck anyway.
I actually could be persuaded to sell my 67 slantback. I have most of the pieces to restore it including a rust free cab and doors but don't know if I'll ever get the time to do it. The wheelbase is 200" BTW
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #99
nlped

I'd LOVE to have that slantback! I've seriously considered turning chubby into one. Yours would be easier though

Old 02-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #100
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

If you'd like I can put a package together (I have lots of parts) and come up with a price. I would really like to see it finished. My plan was to do it like this one........
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote