The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #76
Keith Seymore

Re: truck line assemblers

Fremont Assembly plant body drop:

The white car is an Oldsmobile, the grey/silver car is a Buick, the approaching frame is a Pontiac.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #77
Keith Seymore

Flykelley - did you ever work double shifts during dear season (or were you a deer hunter)?

When you talked about working in the pit it reminded me of this story:

I used to have a pit repairman by the name of Garfield Hardy. He was a small black man that had to have a step stool to reach the bottom of the truck.

For everybody else's benefit: When deer season rolls around in Michigan it very nearly shuts the plant down. In order to combat that, what we would do is solicit volunteers (from those of us who were left) to work double shifts to keep the plant running. Garfield was one of those guys who would work every extra minute of overtime that he could get.

After about a week of 16 or 20 hour days they would begin to take their toll. After one particularly long day (or so it seemed) I looked down in the pit to see Garfield, sitting on his stool, nodding off - barely able to shake himself awake.

Taking pity on the man, I shouted, mostly to wake him up without embarrassment: "Garfield, what does your wife think about you working all this overtime?".

He shot back, without opening his eyes: "She jus says 'see ya lata, honey - Ahm goin' shoppin'!".

It's become sort of a standard response around my house, especially among my daughters...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #78
Redline novdog

KeithSeymore and Flykelley keep Posting! I love the monster VIN stamping machine! Nowadays you can tote it with you!!! I hope the 67-72 truck owners will notice that production line are bolt and go! Anomalies are gonna happen as the owners on previous posts have identified. That should be pointed out even though you two have layed it down. Production is about numbers (get it out the door). I wouldn't want to be the one trying to re stamp the VIN! I have done the stamp thing on gears,blocks,weldments,etc...(busted knuckles)unless you are spot on with a hammer!!!
You all can relate to that pain!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #79
Redline novdog

Sorry for double posting ,but WAY cool pics!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #80
flykelley

Hi Keith,
Worked many doubles during Deer season. I know one guy who would bring his motor home to work for that week and sleep in the parking lot. That was always a tough thing to do, work 16 hours on the line. Add in that hour or so between a shifts and it doesn't leave a lot of time for sleeping! I would try to work one every other day during deer season.

Mike
flykelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #81
flykelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My area on Line 1 started immediately after body drop.

The guys in body drop would set the cab and then drive the body mount bolts - but not the pickup box bolts - and then ship to my area.

So my area began by:
(a) fixing any cross threaded body bolts (there were quite a few)
(b) tightening down the pickup box bolts
(c) hanging the spare tire
(d) installing floor mounted shifters
(e) preparing the underhood wiring
(f) hanging the front fenders - LH and RH
(g) installing batteries
(h) repair

At that point the trucks were ready for the next area, which was hood set.

K
Keith my first job was hanging spare tires on line on, hired in Aug 13th 1077 a Saturday at that. Then I went upstairs to the fender line, my supervisor was a black guy named Bob Silk. Worked right next to line two body drop for a couple of years.

Mike
Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #82
flykelley

Keith were you around for the famous line speed up by the superintendent, think his name was Gary but couldn't swear to it. He had a secret smith in his office that would change the line speed. There was a big deal about that whole mess and how someone in trades had to help him install that.

Mike
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #83
Keith Seymore

Yep - Gary Sergent was his name.

We called it "Buttongate".

He was found out because of the hourly employees that use a manifest (a printed order of all the trucks). They would normally sit down at the beginning of the shift and circle all the trucks with the RPOs that they were interested in (like the shift handle guy would circle all the trucks with RPO M20; the roof marker light guy would circle all the trucks with U01) so they would know when they were coming. A side effect of that would be counting out how many trucks they should build that day.

Over a period of time they began to notice they were building way more trucks than they were supposed to. The union began to investigate and determined the line was running too fast. I do not know how they made the jump from finding the line was to fast to finding a button in his office.

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-25-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #84
flykelley

Keith you are correct, it was Gary Sargent, that was a long time ago, had to be 1977-78 the first year that I was working on line 1. We must know a lot of the same people. How about the foreman on 2nd shift in chassi that had a handlebar mustache. I think his first name was Max.

Mike
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #85
Redline novdog

Sorry folks Have had a tad bit of family and work(if u follow the CAT problems),that brings
me to a question that has been touched on but not elaborated. Did you guys ever have to work the floor when there was a strike or big layoff. I will except a no comment If you choose(might not be a good question for some).I would say labor strife.I know it happened and I guarantee it affected the truck builds!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #86
flykelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Sorry folks Have had a tad bit of family and work(if u follow the CAT problems),that brings
me to a question that has been touched on but not elaborated. Did you guys ever have to work the floor when there was a strike or big layoff. I will except a no comment If you choose(might not be a good question for some).I would say labor strife.I know it happened and I guarantee it affected the truck builds!
I was working at GM when we had the longest strike in the UAW history, 85 days if I remember correctly. It was a local strike not a company wide GM strike. Had to be around 1996-1997. Bad decision IMOP to go on strike at the time. Trucks weren't selling real good and the local thought they had the upper hand. No one wins with a strike of that length. Never saw anything bad happen while on the picket line but I always worked a picket gate that was low keyed. Never wanted to do picket duty at the main gates of the plant. To many idiots that want to see themselves on TV and would do something stupid.

Mike
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #87
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykelley View Post
Keith you are correct, it was Gary Sargent, that was a long time ago, had to be 1977-78 the first year that I was working on line 1. We must know a lot of the same people. How about the foreman on 2nd shift in chassi that had a handlebar mustache. I think his first name was Max.

Mike
I vaguely remember a guy with a handlebar moustache. The person that comes to mind when I think of "famous" foremen is "Charlie By-Golly!"

He was a sweet man, very kind, but punctuated his animated speech with "By-Golly!". I suppose it was better than "dad-gum-it!".

I am impressed that you remember these guy's names. I think most of the people who worked for me did not remember my name at the time.

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-29-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #88
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
I had to work a couple strikes but, as a salaried employee, that just meant going into the plant and sitting around. We might play cards, or ping pong, or take a training class or catch up on paperwork. The union folks pretty much left us alone since we weren't going to get anything done (like taking away their jobs) anyway.

I didn't really notice any impacts to the builds, other than if it was "rumored" that they were going out on strike - then - you knew it would happen. It seems like the union officials were looking for a reason to not work and they were going to take this opportunity regardless.

My favorite "strike" story:

Quote:
"The Gasket Story"

As I mentioned, our '65 GTO was built early in September of 1964. There were rumblings of a strike that year, so the build of our car, a factory "demonstrator" - if you will - was hastened so that it could be out in public before the strike hit and not be trapped on GM property. As a result, Dad and I drove down on a Friday and picked the car up from the Engineering Building, complete with three 7.75 whitewalls installed, one 7.75 redline and a 7.35 whitewall for a spare. A three speed was installed in the car and the intended four speed was loose in the trunk. As expected, the following Monday the UAW went out on strike.

Naturally, we had the GTO home for about a day before Dad started tearing into it, prepping it for race usage. Heads off to be cut .030", thinner head gaskets, shimming valve springs, recurving the distributor, etc. As he started putting the car back together he went to set the intake back on and (...as we now know...) the pattern had changed from '64 to '65. He didn't have any of the "new style" intake gaskets, so he called Superior Pontiac/Cadillac in Flint and asked them if they did. They said "sure, come on down" so he went in and (...guess what...) they didn't. They had the '64 style. He informed them of the change and started calling around to find gaskets. He called Royal; same result - "yeah, we got 'em" (...they didn't...). Jesse had him call the manufacturer and he nearly had a deal finalized, saying they could send him a couple until they realized he was a private individual rather than in some "official" capacity. Dad was getting ready to get some gasket material and make his own when Jesse had a bright idea: they could get some out of the Pontiac motor plant. He had heard Jim Wangers was heading over there to do some kind of marketing presentation and, since the plant was on strike, Dad should be able to get in there and get what he needed. The deal was struck and the time set. Dad was to wear his best suit and was going to get into the plant with a "Press" pass.

Dad was supposed to meet Jim at his office one morning shortly thereafter. After sitting in the waiting room for quite awhile Jim emerged from his office; they hopped into Jim's big yellow 2+2 "School Bus" and after a quick stop for an early lunch they made it over to the entrance at the Pontiac facility. The place was awash with activity, as there are all these UAW employees out picketing in front of the plant. As they drive through the gate, Jim saw someone he knew so he stopped the car to shoot the bull with this guy. That was fine until Dad saw someone HE knew! Pretty incriminating for him to be going into a plant, while it was on strike, him in a suit, and a UAW diemaker at that! He said "Jim, get me outta here!" pulled his suitcoat up over his head and they zipped through the gate without any further incident.

Once inside, Jim took his portfolio and papers and went up to the front offices and Dad headed out to the floor. Imagine an empty plant during shutdown: lights are off, everything is quiet, just a few individuals in sitting around playing cards or table tennis in the break areas. Finally, a guy showed up on a three wheeled scooter and says "Whattya need, Slim?". Dad said "I'm the guy that needs the gaskets". So he hopped on the scooter and they wind their way back into the bowels of the plant. They pull up to a work area and, sure enough, here are baskets and baskets (...and baskets...) of gaskets. The guy hands Dad a stack about two feet high and says "How many do you need?". Dad grabbed enough to reassemble his motor plus a few extras and they got out of there. Needless to say, for a few weeks after that the local guys were calling us to see if we had intake gaskets so they could put their cars back together.

As far as our car, we had it back together shortly thereafter. By the time of the "official" introduction - "Pontiac Day" at Detroit Dragway on Sunday, September 27 - we were already tuned up and making some low 12.90 passes in B/S trim.
1986 - 2019
Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #89
Redline novdog

Thank you guys for you're input Good info from you're stand. I like to hear it your input!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #90
trac209

These pics are very cool,the more I see of them I feel I missed out on the greatest period in automotive history. Seeing things assembled by hand by workers that we're proud to be there always makes me smile
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #91
flykelley

Quote:
I vaguely remember a guy with a handlebar moustache. The person that comes to mind when I think of "famous" foremen is "Charlie By-Golly!"

He was a sweet man, very kind, but punctuated his animated speech with "By-Golly!". I suppose it was better than "dad-gum-it!".

I am impressed that you remember these guy's names. I think most of the people who worked for me did not remember my name at the time.

K
Guys name was Max Allen, just popped into my head. Keith do you remember the line 1 day supers name back in the late 70s early eights. Think it his first name was done.

Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #92
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Guys name was Max Allen, just popped into my head. Keith do you remember the line 1 day supers name back in the late 70s early eights. Think it his first name was done.

Mike
Yep - Max Allen! I remember now.

I think you mis-typed the super's name. I can picture him but can't come up with a name. Try again and I'll give it some thought.

Were you around for or do you remember "Howie Makem"?

Did you have a nickname? Some of my guys were Radar, Banana, Bird, Red, Arkie, Tex, etc.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 10-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #93
marvgarr68

I got a question what happens to the new vehicles that do not get sold or delivered? I once heard they go to a big parking lot and just sit forgotten. If this is true there must be a lot of low miles vehicles around just rotting.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591188
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #94
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvgarr68 View Post
I got a question what happens to the new vehicles that do not get sold or delivered? I once heard they go to a big parking lot and just sit forgotten. If this is true there must be a lot of low miles vehicles around just rotting.
Nope.

Every vehicle is "sold" before it gets built, either to dealer stock or to an individual. GM is out of the picture and that puts the onus on the dealer.

I think you know how dealers get rid of their inventory.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #95
tommys72

This has turned into one of my favorite threads on the board

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #96
flykelley

Quote:
Yep - Max Allen! I remember now.

I think you mis-typed the super's name. I can picture him but can't come up with a name. Try again and I'll give it some thought.

Were you around for or do you remember "Howie Makem"?

Did you have a nickname? Some of my guys were Radar, Banana, Bird, Red, Arkie, Tex, etc.

K
I remember Radar, and yes I was around for the Howie Makem era, that was one butt ugly costume and idea! Keith our paths had to have crossed, I was there from Aug 1977-1985 when a bunch of us transferred to Pontiac Assembly. Most of the time I was on line 1 final, chassis, fender line, Stockeeper on Line final as well.

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #97
marvgarr68

Quote:
Nope.

Every vehicle is "sold" before it gets built, either to dealer stock or to an individual. GM is out of the picture and that puts the onus on the dealer.

I think you know how dealers get rid of their inventory.

K
That answers my question thanks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591188
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #98
ChevyGuyNC

This has definitely become one of my favorite threads.

Back in about 83-84 I went to the Tarrytown, NY plant and took the tour. For the life of me I can't remember what they were building there at the time.

What struck me going through the plant was, from the floor pan being set on the line, all these parts and pieces added... and at the end of the line, it just started! Every one, every time. I knew that was how it was supposed it work, but seeing it actually happen was very cool.

Dad had a 73 longbed when I was growing up... of course back then I didn't know enough to appreciate it.
ChevyGuyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #99
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I remember Radar, and yes I was around for the Howie Makem era, that was one butt ugly costume and idea! Keith our paths had to have crossed, I was there from Aug 1977-1985 when a bunch of us transferred to Pontiac Assembly. Most of the time I was on line 1 final, chassis, fender line, Stockeeper on Line final as well.

Mike
We'll definitely have to get together and swap some stories in person.

For the uninitiated, here's my "Howie Makem" story:

Quote:
Just thought of another story

I was sitting here thinking about some of the build conditions on my truck, and how they would never fly today, such as:

* Door gaps that vary as you walk your way around the periphery of the door
* Adhesive moldings that fall off
* "Skunk stripes" of body color that peek out from behind wheel opening moldings (when looking into the wheel housings)
* Exposed fasteners in the interior
* Exposed sheet metal (painted body color) in the interior

and etc - stuff like that.

Anyway, I thought to myself "...that's how we made 'em".

So - that's what made me think of this: back when I was at the assembly plant the UAW (the local union) was very militant. We were always butting heads over build quality and personnel issues and there was very much a "us vs them" mentality with the plant management.

As a result, "somebody" (...I don't know who...) got the idea that we should have a plant "mascot". They went so far as to design and build this giant caped "cat" costume, like a superhero, complete with a huge fuzzy plastic head. The idea was that this cat would make appearances down on the assembly line, visiting and shaking hands with the workers, generally doing zany things to lift our morale and thereby improve product quality. His image would appear on our stationary and cartoon pictures were painted on the walls in the audit area, cafeteria, and other areas where the hourly employees congregate.

They even had a contest to "name" the Quality cat, with the winner earning some highly desirable gift or activity (...I'm sure it was a day of paid vacation...). When all the results were in the winning name was chosen....

....wait for it....

"Howie Makem".

Quote:
Ok - so now we have this giant cat costume; we need somebody to wear it.

One of the ladies in the Specifications department was chosen. She was a crusty, tough old bird (...in fact, that was her name: "Birdie"). In hindsight she was probably a pretty good choice, because I'm sure she could hold her own in a bar fight. She wasn't very happy about being chosen to be "Howie Makem".

Besides Birdie's attitude problem there were some issues with the cat suit itself. One was that it was incredibly hot inside the suit, a situation that only exacerbated the heat in the plant during the notoriously humid Michigan summer months. The huge head was also an issue, making it difficult to maneuver in close quarters. But the biggest problem was that the head prevented the wearer from seeing out - they had to cut some small "eye holes" in the neck in order to provide some semblance of outward visibility. In the end, because of the safety implications, even that wasn't enough and we had to assign an escort, leading Howie by the hand through the plant.

As you might expect, the line workers were not all that enthused. I think they thought they were being "talked down to" (...wouldn't you, being accosted by a giant cat with a cape on?...) and Howie was generally greeted with cat calls (no pun intended), obscenities and inquiries about his/her gender. The escort had to perform double duty, both as a seeing eye guide and bodyguard.

It all came back to me this morning. What a vivid memory: Birdie and her escort walking through the plant, hand in hand, her sweltering in the giant cat suit, greeting the line workers on one side and spewing profanities like a sailor on the other...

K
1986 - 2019
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #100
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC View Post

What struck me going through the plant was, from the floor pan being set on the line, all these parts and pieces added... and at the end of the line, it just started! Every one, every time. I knew that was how it was supposed it work, but seeing it actually happen was very cool.
I have always been fascinated by that, too. Seems like you start off with little triangle shaped pieces of soup can, and you keep adding parts until you have a complete car body.

I felt that way even after having design/release responsibility for K2xx pickup cab/box and G van underbody structures.

The process is really set up to do the same thing, over and over, about a million times, with no changes. Building the first one is kinda tough but the following 999,999 are not as bad!

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-05-2015 at 11:52 AM.