The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
oldman3

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks for the photos, they're truly a help.
Here's a dumb question for you. I've been assuming the crank pulley is a bolt on/bolt off affair. Is that correct or will I have to get a puller involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache200 View Post
Sorry to highjack your thread but i also have a old 327 with double hump heads without holes. I need all the pulleys and brackets for the ac and alt. Where could i find thoses? Thanks in advance
Hey Dan an apache. I've used Alan Grove brackets for years and like them. On Jimbo's 67 we drilled holes in bracket for looks. We purchased his pulley's from Springfield Street Rods #s9764 has 3 grove crank, 2 grove water pump and alt pulleys. #s8848 power steering pulley with 5/8" shaft with keyway. Here's the link for www.springfieldstreetrod.com/pulleys.htm. Yes Dan crank shaft pulley is a bolt on. I' also going to post a couple pics of Jimbo's brackets, etc. Any questions let me know...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
tmoble

the bottom pulley is a factory 2 groove with a bolt in 3rd groove. WP pulley is a factory 2 groove. This stuff is not that hard to find. set up an auto search on ebay.

On a SBC there's three bolts that hold the pullies to the harmonic damper. If you crank is drilled for a center bolt it goes in last, it's 7/16" fine thread and torques to 80LB ft. The 3/8" bolts that hold the pullies to the damper are 3/8 fine thread. Often times on engines this old stuff has been changed, re-threaded, etc. just have to observe carefully as you pull it apart.

Actually, all you need is the bolt-on third groove for the crank and the 2 groove for the fan and W/P. Did I mention that a Sanden compressor bolts right on to the factory compressor bracket? I posted pics of that on here recently, I think. If you didn't see them I can post them up again. Pretty sweet setup IMO.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
oldman3

Forgot to say that we used the 70-72 Chevy pickup style power steering pump...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Oldman3, Thank you also for pictures. You guys that step in to offer good info and pictures are such a help. Thanks guys.

I've gotta admit I've never really liked those brackets that make the parts stick up so high, but adding the holes really does improve the look substantially. And of course, chroming, powder coating etc would help. I suppose they're too thick for dimple dies to work on them. Too bad, cause that would really look great.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
tmoble

Those brackets are likely for a street rod deal, like a 34 Ford or something that has a very narrow engine compartment at the front but plenty of room vertically. couple pages back I posted pics of how a factory bracket setup can work with a Sanden compressor.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
tmoble

Those brackets are likely for a street rod deal, like a 34 Ford or something that has a very narrow engine compartment at the front but plenty of room vertically. couple pages back I posted pics of how a factory bracket setup works with a Sanden compressor. Those factory pieces aren't that hard to come by.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
tmoble

Sorry, dupl.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so I wasn't going to got update this thread just to relate what I'm thinking but later I'll probably wish I'd had a record.

Short version is I'm getting impatient to do the ifs and I'm hyper busy at work. Late hours, etc. I think I've mentioned it before but I'm the construction Quality Manager for Metro out here for one of the new light rail lines we're building. I had occasion to talk to a guy from one of our test labs the other day and we got on the subject of hot rods. He had a hotrod fab business that he closed because he needed a more steady gig but still does occasional side jobs and I'm discussion the possibility of him doing this work for me.

It'll depend on my budget naturally.

The two extremes are I drive the truck to him & drive it home once done - I haven't gotten a quote on anything yet but that'll be the most costly.
The other end is take the truck to him stripped from the firewall forward and pick it up after the ifs, tilt column, brake booster and all lines are run. Then reassemble everything myself. Chances are it'll be something in between because there are SO many, "while-I'm-in-there's" that can/should be done like finishing the firewall, painting the forward part of the frame, etc.

Ok, so anyway this is just a thinking out loud post.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Daze57

dan
Either way you go it sounds like a good deal - if your friend had a fabrication shop and is familiar with these set ups - heck i say go for it - providing the price meets your budget .
Maybe you can help him out - that may defer some costs .....just sayin
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Daze,

He's not a friend - yet! He's a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) employed by one of our test labs, but in talking to him he seems like all of us on this board. A nice guy with our same interests. He closed his fab shop and works out of his garage now. It came up because he gave me his email and it referred to "customs" in the address. When I asked about it he told me he'd had a hotrod fabrication business for years but there were so many things he'd do "while he was in there" he wasn't making money and he couldn't stand to NOT do these things or do the work half-assed - his words, so he closed and went back to being a CWI.

I liked that attitude. I got thinking of it overnight and called him.mhe said yeah, he sometimes still takes on side jobs but can't work as fast now that he's got a full time gig again. I've told him I'm in no rush, I wont "Bart Simpson" him with "Are we there yets?" If this happens I'll get references before I go forward and I'll see some of his work. But it looks promising.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Daze57

got it !
well i hope it all works out for ya - i know you have been thinkin about the clip thing for a while - and hopefully it;ll be great .
My 57 has been clipped for years and i never regret it although its ''rear steer '' it is still very workable and have had no problems .
Good Luck on your 57 and i think when you finally get it done - you;ll be v happy .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

It's a '55....but hey, who's counting, lol.

I can't wait for it to have that nice ride and power steering. It'll make all the difference to me. Haven't decided how I'm handling the rear. Probably a flip and C notch. I'd rather NOT have to notch but I want it to sit level or just slightly raked an inch.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
cameo

I am finally up to date on this build. It's a build to me anyhow.
I'd like to say I admire the fact that you have been able to enjoy your truck while making it yours. I bought mine as a basket case and way too many years later, it still is. And I have never driven it and most who know me think I never will.
Good luck with the MII install.
My 2 pennies would be to mess with the firewall later. That could mean more down time and less time behind the wheel
Have fun.
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Cameo. I know me and I knew if I bought a basket case or if I took mine down to the frame too fast it'd be a very long haul to get it done.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Wow Rudy, from what I can see they look really good! Is this the shop somewhere back east you told be about?

John,
Cut up my Dually to put the '55 on? Lol, nah not hardly. I've still gotta pay it off before I cut it up.....and I'm never cutting it up but I get your drift.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
Rude Dude

I ended up going to a place here in Arizona they just are very slow cause they are extremely busy shop took a 2 months longer than expected but that was fine with me cause they knocked off 20% off the price.

[QUOTE=Dan in Pasadena;6965064]Wow Rudy, from what I can see they look really good! Is this the shop somewhere back east you told be about?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #17
Gregski
Post Whore

Hello, anybody home?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I'm here.

Nothing new to report other than what I put on the "What Did You Do Lately" thread.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Dan in Pasadena

Took the day off today. I think I caught a case of "anal glaucoma" - I couldn't see my a$$ going to work today!

Decided to do a little project I've been putting off.... painting the white on some nice original side badges I bought from a guy in NY. They were rechromed at some point and I n doing it they lost a lot of the lower edge of the smaller letters in "Chevrolet" but I don't mind.

Basically, I just masked the large details as well as I could, and used Duplicolor touch up paint, both primer/filler and bright white top coat. The small brush that comes with the paint is good enough to follow the edges of the small letters; though they've lost some definition.

Anyway, here's my progress so far:

And the other end:

Here's the mateirals I'm using. No prep - didn't want to scratch the good chrome. We'll see if this turns out to be a mistake or not.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #20
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Took the day off today. I think I caught a case of "anal glaucoma" - I couldn't see my a$$ going to work today!
Danny Boy is one funny dude!
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
57chevyman

Nice! Lookee what I ordered. 10% off on ecklers.com
Attached Images

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #22
Dan in Pasadena

Nice, Frank!

I'm still working on the paint and frankly I'm not too happy with how it's coming out. I guess I pulled the masking too on and it partially pulled some of the paint off. I may have to end up wiping it all off with lacquer thinner and spraying it. There no way to mask the small letters so I guess I'd remove the paint I don't want with lacquer thinner on a Q Tip.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #23
JR25

Carefully coat the letters etc. with Vaseline or similar, mistakes with this wipes off easily. Use a q tip and alcohol on the areas for paint. When you are satisfied, spray away! When you ARE SURE the paint is dry, the Vaseline will wipe off taking the unwanted paint with it!
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #24
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
Carefully coat the letters etc. with Vaseline or similar, mistakes with this wipes off easily. Use a q tip and alcohol on the areas for paint. When you are satisfied, spray away! When you ARE SURE the paint is dry, the Vaseline will wipe off taking the unwanted paint with it!
Or try it with rubber cement.... it works good and doesnt move around like vaseline once its dried. You can also use a razor blade or x-acto knife to shape it once dried like around the letter edges.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Or try it with rubber cement.... it works good and doesnt move around like vaseline once its dried. You can also use a razor blade or x-acto knife to shape it once dried like around the letter edges.
Ah....now this idea I like! I've never used rubber cement but isn't it kinda brownish and dries...well, "rubbery"?

I have some acetone and some MEK on the shelf, I'm gonna use one of those to remove this gunky looking mess I created then start again.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.