The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Got tired of welding pipe and laying under the truck. Decided to work on the seats and speaker brackets instead.

On the speaker bracket I decided to go with riv-nuts to bolt them in. But I don't have riv-nuts or the tool to install them, so I picked that stuff up tonight. Tomorrow I will be able to get them mocked up and maybe even painted up to look OK. The speakers and stereo head unit were delivered today also. The speakers take a real narrow spade terminal end which I don't have and neither do the local stores, so it looks like I will have to go to Mankato to find that.

I pulled the seat out of the cab, then set the new one in place. Not thrilled with how far forward the mount brackets are, but I can work with it. One complaint I had with the old seat was that it was too high and I was looking through the tinted part of the windshield all of the time, and having to duck and weave to see around the mirror. The new seat was pretty much at the same level, so I chose to lower it 1". With this style of bracket it's not too difficult. The driver side is welded back up. The passenger side has the front parts cut. Will finish that up tomorrow too I think.

Just sitting in place, unbolted.

The bracket mounts...

The bottom will fold forward under the tilt wheel. I don't know if it would without the tilt.

I want to get all this stuff (exhaust, seats, stereo) done by Sunday night. I want a day or 2 of driving again before I take it on the road trip.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Bomp

Liked the videos....especially cherpin' the tires.

Exhaust sounds good
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Liked the videos....especially cherpin' the tires.

Exhaust sounds good
Thanks. My video editing skillz aren't up to your level. Best I can do is trim the time off so it's not several seconds of not much at all for the beginning and end.

Today I continued with the seats and radio stuff. I got the speaker brackets installed. I love the riv-nut tool. I used it for the speaker mount screws, and for my radio mount I made. Kinda wishing I had this tool a long time ago. Will be ordering speaker grills later.

Anyway, speakers mounted...

And I built a panel to fit under the front of the seat for the stereo to mount into. I cut out a piece of aluminum from some scrap I had, then bent a 90* angle along the top edge for added stiffness. I don't have a bender, except my hammers and vise and hands, so it took awhile. I notched the corners to fit the seat mounts and drilled some holes for screws to hold it with riv-nuts in the seat mount.

Then I cut a hole for the radio, cleaned it up with a file to get a good fit. I just used a DA sander to clean up the surface and make it look OK. You can see from the pic of the back view how rough that aluminum was.

And here it is mounted up. As the seat folds forward it actually lifts a bit so that plate doesn't hit into the carpet. I will do more cleaning up and prettying things after the trip when the interior is getting completely redone.

The passenger seat mount is shortened and welded back together. Just need to drill some holes to bolt them in. Then wire the stereo up. Finish the exhaust tailpipes and get it back on the road.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good! Clean install.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks good! Clean install.
Thanks VA. I'm happy with it.

So it's been 2 weeks with my truck up on jack stands. Today I went for a cruise.

The day started out poorly on the personal side, and when I went out to the garage I struggled badly to get going. I pulled off the rear tire to look at how I was going to run my tailpipe and was very discouraged. The pieces I had to work with were not going to cooperate. So I went with plan B.

I'm actually really happy with the sound. These downturns cost $10 each at O'Rielys. The first test drive sounded good except that it had a cackling noise on acceleration. Then I remembered the hole for the O2 sensor. So I got that installed and the closed loop is hooked up for the EFI.

The next test drive was pure joy. It was running better, smoother, less rich and the sound was just what I was hoping for. No more buzzing from the windows, no more drone. Going down the highway it was just a nice humming. Well worth the effort and cost.

The seats are in. It was a bigger chore than I anticipated.

Getting the front bolted down was easy enough. I just drilled holes through the brackets to match up with the existing seat holes.

But that weird shape of the back end was baffling me. They were designed to rest on the front edge of the rear bed floor in a tahoe. Well my cab aint got no raised floor to perch on, so I made one from a 2x8. Well 2 actually. One for each seat.

I matched the contours of the back mount, and matched the floor too for the driver side where it goes over the center hump. It works great and I should be able to hide it later when the upholstory gets done.

I thought I was done then, but saw the seatbelts I took out to remove the old seat and had to put those in. But I couldn't because there was no hole through the new seat for the belts to go through. So I had to take the damn thing out to cut a hole in it.

I had some left over door edge guard to use on the edges of the new hole so it doesn't saw through my nice new belts.

And to finish for the day I put in my cheapo floor mats. The center is supposed to be for a car backseat, but I think it works good on the hump.

All thats left to prep it for the trip is to wire up the radio, wash it, maybe change the oil, fill up the gas tank and load her up. Time for a road trip and omg do I freaking need the break.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Low Elco

Looks great! Enjoy your trip, I hope it goes well. Take lotsa pics!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks great! Enjoy your trip, I hope it goes well. Take lotsa pics!
Thanks! It will be fun. I'm sure some pics will get loaded too. And to make that trip better I got the stereo working...
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Bomp

Comfy seat..check
tunes.........check
gas............check
exhaust......check
oil..............check
big gulp......?????
Ready to get rollin'
Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Comfy seat..check
tunes.........check
gas............check
exhaust......check
oil..............check
big gulp......?????
Ready to get rollin'
Got the vintage (style) cooler

Got it washed and waxed. Rain-X on the glass. Tool bag packed (won't need it ). Multi-port charger thingy with a usb charger included, cause nobody goes anywhere without a phone anymore. Maps in the glove box, with fuses, flashlight, owners manual (might have to look something up), up to date insurance card, bug spray, etc. Couple of lawn chairs in back.

Looks like the weather will mostly cooperate, except for some flooding trouble along the Mississippi.

It'll be my sons first chance to drive my truck. He's 17 now and I think he's excited to spend some road time with me. And if you have or had teenagers, you know what I'm talking about.

Leaving in the morning. May even post some pics from the road. While I'm driving, and texting and eating a big sloppy burger.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Bomp

Have fun man..
When I was in high school I traveled to Minnesota with my dad to get his '57 convert which we hauled back using a towbar.
Back of the truck loaded to the hilt with car parts as the '57 filled to the brim.
On the way back I had to sleep on the floor of his truck while he slept on the seat. His '69 pickup.
He still to this day doesn't spend money on a motel.
I have not traveled with him since but was glad I went on that ONE trip with him. memories.

Have Fun Man.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

We improved the scenery at this scenic overlook in Preston, Mn. And a pick of donovan a couple minutes into his first ever drive of my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went to the New Ulm Autofest today and had a good time. There were 4 other 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks there. I think mine was the nicest . One guy came from Jordan with a C-30 CST longhorn that was his farm truck for several years. Here's a few pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Dachdu69C10

Your truck looks sweet! The bodywork turned out Awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 C10 custom 1/2ton "Project"
2004 Volkswagen Jetta DD

"On the internet Men are Men, Women are Men, and little Girls are FBI Agents"
Dachdu69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachdu69C10 View Post
Your truck looks sweet! The bodywork turned out Awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Got another distraction this weekend. Another one of my dads old vehicles. This one floats. 2002 14' lund rebel with a 25 hp honda outboard. My youngest loves fishing and we just haven't done enough of it. Need to get a hitch now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Don't forget that trucks need to haul more than ass. A little work is good for them once in a while.

I took this mostly to bother my friend at the body shop. It drives him nuts that I use it for everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last but not least, I finally sold the 1972 2wd blazer chassis I had sitting behind the garage and a couple other things. Da-burb got it and has some plans. It was a cash and trade deal because da-burb is a parts dealer and one of his things is with ACC. He's gonna get me some floor mats that match my carpet and will fit the floor better than my walmart specials. Also getting some e-brake cables to fix another nagging issue. Contact him for any of your truck part needs. https://www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Bomp

So nice to see a truck getting used as a truck.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Low Elco

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and enjoy the time away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Lookin ready for the cruise!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool! Hope you both enjoy the time together!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
Low Elco

He looks stoked!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Bill's Gallery
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday we drove into St Louis and went up into the arch. Had lunch down town and then hit the freeway and made it to my friends place. There are some friendships that stand the test of time and this is one of them. We have not seen each other in about 19 years but we could start our conversation as if it had only been a few days.

We got the tour and went to the garage where Damon stores his 79 camaro he bought after boot camp in 1986. He hadn't fired it up in about 7 months but eventually the carb bowls filled with gas and it started. We built that small block 400 together back in 89 or 90 and it sounded great. But we won't be getting to cruise together cause 1 of his tires blew up during the winter and he didn't know it til then. Kinda sad about that.

As for my truck, it was awesome. The only problem we had was a leaky windshield when it rained and the wipers chatter pretty bad. It ran and drove great. First tank of gas only got 12.7 mpg. I was disappointed and a bit surprised. The next tank came out at 18.5 mpg. Not disappointed and very surprised. Next gas stop was only 90 miles but was 15.5 mpg which is right where I was hoping. I think it just took a while for the O2 senser to get the self tuning adjusted but it has been purring along as good as it ever has.

Been a great trip so far. Gonna do some shooting later. Damon is a gun nut. And ride some atv and dirt bike. Maybe go back into St Louis and explore some more. Take the brewery tour. Have to see what Donovan wants to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad the trip is working out good. Looking forward to seeing pics of the run.

Bill's Gallery
Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Heading home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images