The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Your progress is looking great! I feel ya on the dripping tranny fluid! It drives me to be a pissed bitty when it gets on my glasses and or in my eye. It was nice meeting you last week and talking with ya. I've enjoyed peeking in your projects and tinkerings. Thank ya! Did you score any pump stuff?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
back on post #936 you gave me some hitch info. I finally got that exact hitch. I was wondering if you could get me some pics of how its mounted to your frame, and maybe some hole dimensions referenced from some spot on the frame?
I'll see what I can do for ya. Shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Your progress is looking great! I feel ya on the dripping tranny fluid! It drives me to be a pissed bitty when it gets on my glasses and or in my eye. It was nice meeting you last week and talking with ya. I've enjoyed peeking in your projects and tinkerings. Thank ya! Did you score any pump stuff?
I got a mobil pump sign for my pump, and a couple other things. My favorite was this sign though (it should read "self trained")...

The rest of my stuff

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Inching ever closer to the big day. Maybe we need to name it, like a holiday, or a National Day or something. How about Faaaalinging the Gold Day, or I Never Thought This Day Would Come Day, or Bout Freakin Time Day or Paint Your Beater Day. I don't know. I'm just running on a few hours sleep and paint/thinner fumes.

Anywho, I found the wiper parts, and remembered to get the tailgate edge strip out, and sprayed color on the bed rails. I might end up re-spraying the top of the rails just so the paint edge line is not so obvious. I'll at least sand it down a bit to blend it.

Next I will either install those wiper parts and get the cowl bolted down and shimmed, or save the wiper stuff til later when I know I have all the parts and instead I'll start wiping it down with grease/wax cleaner and taping the all the edges I already painted. Still aiming at this weekend for the big day. It could end either elated or disgusted. I think I can do this though. Pretty sure.

Pics...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Bomp

Paint is lookin good man.
Everytime I get on this page I have to stop and watch that "turn it up" video

Happy Flingin Weekend
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Low Elco

I dig the signs!

Just relax and shoot. Have several beers around and just sip on one as you go, it helps with nerves. You've done this before, it's just bigger. The biggest thing is, don't forget the edges. Get that gun clear under and past the edges. between coats, take a flashlight and get way down under there to where you feel like an idiot and look, you'll be surprised what you miss. Make sure you have enough materials. Definitely clear decks for all day and into the night. The main round on Yeller was 3 base and 3 clear and took about 4-5 hours of mix and shoot time. Don't forget to sand/scuff ALL THE WAY to the edges. If you can, get an experienced guy to help tape and bag it, it's not that hard. You'll do fine. I wish I was there to help, it's fun. Good Luck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Paint is lookin good man.
Everytime I get on this page I have to stop and watch that "turn it up" video

Happy Flingin Weekend
I'll make sure to post it again when it flips to the next page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I dig the signs!

Just relax and shoot. Have several beers around and just sip on one as you go, it helps with nerves. You've done this before, it's just bigger. The biggest thing is, don't forget the edges. Get that gun clear under and past the edges. between coats, take a flashlight and get way down under there to where you feel like an idiot and look, you'll be surprised what you miss. Make sure you have enough materials. Definitely clear decks for all day and into the night. The main round on Yeller was 3 base and 3 clear and took about 4-5 hours of mix and shoot time. Don't forget to sand/scuff ALL THE WAY to the edges. If you can, get an experienced guy to help tape and bag it, it's not that hard. You'll do fine. I wish I was there to help, it's fun. Good Luck!
Thanks for the tips. I wish you were here to help too. The main reason I have nerves on this is my paint choice. Its about the worst possible option for a beginning painter. Lots of pearl, light color, tons of flake. It could turn out good, but I'm worried its going to be blotchy. I figured I would spray 3 coats minimum as long as I have enough paint, which based on what I've done so far should be ok. I can see some blotchiness on my inner doors now in the sun. Not terrible, but noticable. But my tailgate looked alright, so I have some confidence.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Low Elco

The trick is, it's a lot like clearing. Turn your air pressure up a bit (you have a gun mounted regulator, right?), turn your fan as big as it'll go, and stay a bit farther off. Your first round should barely cover and be blotchy. Id go 3-4 rounds, and alternate directions between them. go <> then up-down, esp. on the hood. Id go straight, then 45 deg on the sides. Uniformity is important, mind your overlaps. Most importantly, DON"T STOP. It's like clear, if you pause you get a run or blob or sag, if you do it with this, you get a blotch. Even if you know you messed up, don't stop, you can always fix it on the next round. But mostly relax. Keep telling yourself, it's just paint. Not even expensive paint. It's just paint. Relax and enjoy the process. get out the lights and make sure its good before you clear it. It'll be fine.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Dale99

For blotchy, do as mentioned. But also keep the most constant speed you can.

Agree about the looking under fenders. Missed a spot on my last primer job, DOH!!
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
The trick is, it's a lot like clearing. Turn your air pressure up a bit (you have a gun mounted regulator, right?), turn your fan as big as it'll go, and stay a bit farther off. Your first round should barely cover and be blotchy. Id go 3-4 rounds, and alternate directions between them. go <> then up-down, esp. on the hood. Id go straight, then 45 deg on the sides. Uniformity is important, mind your overlaps. Most importantly, DON"T STOP. It's like clear, if you pause you get a run or blob or sag, if you do it with this, you get a blotch. Even if you know you messed up, don't stop, you can always fix it on the next round. But mostly relax. Keep telling yourself, it's just paint. Not even expensive paint. It's just paint. Relax and enjoy the process. get out the lights and make sure its good before you clear it. It'll be fine.
Thanks again. I have a habit of laying it too heavy so I will be sure to turn the flow down and spread the fan. Maybe this technique will reduce the orange peel I've been getting too. I've found that spraying the clear I have better results with heavy coats and more orange peel if its light, but I risk runs. That doesn't bother me too much on the clear though cause I can cut it down, sand it out and polish it.

Quote:
For blotchy, do as mentioned. But also keep the most constant speed you can.

Agree about the looking under fenders. Missed a spot on my last primer job, DOH!!
I hear ya. I noticed that when I was spraying primer and getting the bottom edge of the rockers, bed sides and fenders. Was always lighter there. But it's easier to get those on the Jimmy cause its a bit higher than my C-10, where I had the hose rubbing the floor as I moved along.

I took vacation for tomorrow, so I have from tonight until next Monday to mess with it. Then I have to leave for Omaha for work on Tuesday. Time to do more cleaning and taping.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Its time to spray.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Bomp

Paint Flingers Unite!!
Its On Like Donkey Kong!!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Teaser shot. Color on. Clear next.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Bomp

Gold Member.

Looks Great Man
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

For Bomp...

Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

And 1 for me, most songs hook you with a guitar riff, this one hooked me with the drums....

Last edited by hgs_notes; 08-08-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Low Elco

Let 'er rip, Tater Chip!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Might not be getting sprayed this weekend now. Their dad is going to use the booth this weekend and they said I might be able to get it in next week, during the day if they don't have to use it. Dammit!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Bomp

Sorry to hear about the set back.
Killer vids though man!
Gotta look on the bright side, More time to look for another project.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Gotta look on the bright side, More time to look for another project.
Riiiiiight. Another project.

Like this one?

With a bed like this maybe...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 08-09-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Dale99

I was thinking time to check again to make sure all the body work is done.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I was thinking time to check again to make sure all the body work is done.
Man, that's just mean.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Dale99

no, its just easy to forget stuff when your on a project that long
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
He's moving faster than 90% of the people on this board.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I knew what you meant, but it was a good set up for me. And I can't remember what I did with the drive arm for the wipers. Sheesh. I've been over this thing so many times that the flaws are known and acceptable to me or will be fixed during the spraying.

Quote:
Maybe, but feels like a snails pace to me getting the body and paint done.

Friend from the body shop came by so I could see if I was taping it up right. I wasn't. Had to pull off about half of what I had done because I was too close to the edges. He said to stay away from the edges or it can peel the paint off with the tape in an area that will require a repaint. I looked at how they taped my truck ( Why the hell didn't I think of that before) and now I know better. Most of that is fixed, just need to correct the driver side door area. He said I should try to cover the underside of the hood too, which is gonna be a bit of a PITA. But overall he said it was ok and gave me tips for the rest of it.

Since I'm not painting I think I'm gonna get in some fishing this weekend. The boat is running good now and I don't have many days before the weather gets uncooperative to be out on the water. I went last weekend just to check out the motor and get some worms wet. I caught about 10 fish, all to small to bother cleaning. My youngest likes to fish and we need some fresh stuff to fry up.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
jaros44sr

Quote:
How about 99.9% , he!! of alot of progress going on, and quality work to boot. Well done on the work....hope things get better with the wifey, prayers go out

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote