The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1076
clemdaddy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

cool video bro... thanks for the tour.
colors are real nice.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #1077
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc View Post
soooo clean man this is and will be one of the nicest interiors i've seen!
Thank you Kro, I would like to live up to some of the interiors I have seen on this site !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Wow! Nuff said!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad you like it Don ! I bet you come up with something cool for yours too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 View Post
Great job McMurphy!!!! I like the way all the colors came together! I had a vision on how I want to do my roof and sure enough you did it. My idea has a little different twist to it. Hope my cab comes out that nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
dude I am certain that whatever you come up with is going to be top notch !!
I cannot wait to see how yours all comes together too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Sweet interior, grab a lawn chair and enjoy.
Oh yeah, I did too !!
Thinking about doing it again LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
The interior looks great! All of your mods really stand out now that it's all together.
Thank you sir, I like how some of them, like the dash trim are so subtle that you would at a glance think it was stock.
It has occured to me that I wish I could make custom, chrome trim ..... how cool would that be??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Very Nice!
My worthy video competitor or partner in crime, You is a kickin' my hind quarters. Along with the stupid firewall on Bompenstein.

Interior looks sensational
Thanks Greg, you know I tune in to your build every time you add something new!
I was just thinking of a corroboration build with you, inspired by 1Bad62Pro/Street's suicide door mods; just something a bit more al'la you and I.... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
looks and sounds great mike
Thanks Pirate, I certainly do love my music when cruising !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
thanks CRGRS, right back at ya man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Sounds awesome! I bought the same receiver for my Silverado and really like it. That blinky-light jazz gets a little annoying after about five seconds of night driving so I just picked a color combo that matched the OEM gauge colors. That is a pretty cool feature. Truck is looking good man!
Yeah I think I am going to set it to the same blue as the courtesy lights I put in once I do the final battery install some day in the (hopefully) near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
cool video bro... thanks for the tour.
colors are real nice.
Man, I soooooo want to get it outside and do the video tour so as to get the full spectrum of the colors in that cab and on the dash.
And list the mods as the video goes along.
I think someone asked about that around my 1 year post, but at the time it was too hard for me to get my head wrapped around. Now I am thinking I can really knock that out.

I picked up my steel tubing for the main and return fuel lines today, so with any luck I may have it rolling and stopping under its own power before too much longer !
I also ordered a combination flare/bubble flare kit today, should be here Monday, just in time for me to bend up those fuel lines this weekend !!

As always, thanks for checking in on me guys, your time and attention are priceless in keeping me focused and motivated and I appreciate each one of you and the builds you have of your own !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #1078
da_bears_da1

How in the heck did I miss this video for days??? Your interior looks great. All of the very cool extras really shine through. Sound system sounds good even on a video. Like the heater controls mod, coat hooks, back panel for the sound system, etc. The instrument cluster looks great as well. I hope you believe that imitation is flattery cause I will be stealing some of your ideas.

Your work is great!

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #1079
flips72

very cool, sound system is awesome, screw some self tappers through the legs on the lounge chair and lets go cruising.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1080
dbomb53

Very cool McMurphy, Mods are looking killer!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #1081
Low Elco

Looks fantastic! When are you blowin' this pop stand for warmer climes?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #1082
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post
How in the heck did I miss this video for days??? Your interior looks great. All of the very cool extras really shine through. Sound system sounds good even on a video. Like the heater controls mod, coat hooks, back panel for the sound system, etc. The instrument cluster looks great as well. I hope you believe that imitation is flattery cause I will be stealing some of your ideas.
Your work is great!
I think if you take what you see, and it works for you or you like it then that is great! If you take an idea and make it better, well that is just awesome, so steal away my friend.
The exchange of ideas and methods is part of why I enjoy this forum so well !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
very cool, sound system is awesome, screw some self tappers through the legs on the lounge chair and lets go cruising.
Almost ready for all that flips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbomb53 View Post
Very cool McMurphy, Mods are looking killer!
Thank you sir, always been a fan of your build too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks fantastic! When are you blowin' this pop stand for warmer climes?
That is up in the air at this point (still) Our biggest fear at this time is that the Army is going to tell me I have to retire from up here and just leave me here to rot....
On the other hand, I could slow down on the build if that were the case, so it would not actually be the end of the world.
But we still have hopes of getting out of here in September.

*****************************************************************************************

Not a lot to really show for progress.
Got the seat into the upholster this week, um yeah... that is going to set me back 1k. $650 of that just labor.
The people that love Fairbanks can have it
On a positive note though, it should turn out pretty complimentary to the rest of the truck, after all, it is my retirement gift to myself...how much of a cheapskate can I be?

Got the drive line hooked back up today, started on inner fenders, started puzzling thru how I am going to mod up my rear sway bar, loomed up my spark plug wires..... oh yeah, fan belts.......
So I have added the monster power steering pump to my engine for the hydroboost brakes, which made my prior fan belt too small. Wife says she is going into town, do I need anything?
Why yes dear, I hand her one of the belts I have and I says to her, I need the next size up from this please.

20 minutes later I get a call from loving wife who is at a parts store that rhymes with NAPA, and says the guy is asking if I have an air pump on the truck.
I am about to lose my mind when she puts me on the phone with him, to which I calmly confirm there is no air pump on my engine.

Now I know my wife, she wrenches along side me all the time, so I KNOW she went in there and told the guy "Hey I just need the next size up from this" and he started with the 20 questions about what size year make model and color of the vehicle it was going into.

She gets home 10 minutes later with a fan belt that is according to the numbers 130 times larger than the one I sent her with. If my power
steering pump were mounted on my driver side fender I could have used it.....

So back to the unnamed store (NAPA) she goes, and I added a 190* thermostat request to the mix at this point.
When she gets there with a phone photo of just how grossly worthless the fan belt was, and asks for the thermostat they asked her if the truck has a manual or automatic transmission.

I swear they are so lucky I did not go.

All I need now is my radiator to arrive and I can fire this bad boy up.
I hope.

Also got the E-brake cable mod done today.
The cable off the foot pedal E-brake was too long, and there was no way to adjust it with the rest of the system. So I made a bracket I could loop the cable from the pedal thru, that would have a long carriage bolt with which I could make some adjusting.
This is what it looks like:
Name:  16jun13 e-brake cable mod (3).jpg
Views: 732
Size:  41.6 KB

Then it was just a matter of looping the cable from the pedal back on itself (with the pedal in the off position in the cab, and with as much hand tension as felt comfortable) and a pair of cable clamps to hold it together:
Name:  16jun13 e-brake cable mod (2).jpg
Views: 731
Size:  47.7 KB

I still need to hook up the power steering lines, and except for 6 quarts of oil, this rig needs all fluids and a full lube job.

I am thinking about priming the fuel line before I fire the engine, anyone done this, or think it is a good/bad idea?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #1083
Ta2Don

Happy Father's Day Murph!!!

Parking Brake Mod, another mod to steal...

Generic Parts guys -
Give me the old guy who isn't afraid to get Hands-on...

Keep Rockin' Murph
You will be driving the truck very soon!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #1084
Bomp

Before you turn the key make sure the motor is primed with oil. You probable already did that with the
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62200/overview/ tool. Just my .02
Watched a buddy crank and crank and crank on a dry motor. Pulled the oil pan plug with fine metal shavings on the magnetic plug.

Did a little research on the priming the motor/carb/fuel line and came to realize I've probably been doing it wrong myself.
Here are some links that have better info than what I can tell you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6885297_prim...fuel-pump.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/c...fuel-pump.html

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684
(I know its the F@#d barn but the info might be helpful) Deepest apologizes for the F word.
Although none of this matters if the guy behind the counter asks if you have manual or electric windows.

Looking good Murph
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #1085
jlsanborn

Nice job Murph! Anxious to see the seat!

I wouldn't fret none about priming the fuel line but what Bomp is sayin is a great idea and I'd do that for sure. Even take an old sacrificial screw driver, cut the handle off and chuck it in a cordless drill. I like to crank the pump over until I see oil dribbling at the rocker arms. Make sure and DOUBLE check the pressure side of your fuel line. We don't want any fires at this point. If you can't help yourself and you pour fuel in the carby to get it fired, make SURE you have a good-crankin battery and PUT THE AIR FILTER BACK ON before you crank it. I've seen many a carb fire and the best way to snuff that out is with the starter, NOT throwing rags, sand, water, etc... all over your engine compartment. If it doesn't fire right up after you've got fuel flowing STOP and figure out why. It should crank right up and run if you've got it close to right. I'd start with just straight water in the radiator to start. That way if you have leaks or other issues it's just cheap water, not expensive poison all over the garage. The Lord can clean that mess while Murph has a beer. Once she's shook out, drain the water and add coolant. Can't wait to hear it running man! Put a start-up video together for us!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #1086
Low Elco

You can smell the closeness! Go Murph!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #1087
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Happy Father's Day Murph!!!

Parking Brake Mod, another mod to steal...

Generic Parts guys -
Give me the old guy who isn't afraid to get Hands-on...

Keep Rockin' Murph
You will be driving the truck very soon!!!
Man, I hope so !!
Will still need front glass, exhaust (though my buddy Jay who did all the mill work for me says we can do it ourselves,,,and after looking at what Coulter did, I am sorely tempted since I was quoted $900 to $1300 for a custom exhaust), and new tires before we go too far, too fast !! LOL

When I have to deal with those kids at the parts store, (who probably could not find their way to work without the GPS in their smart phones) I feel both sad for them, and indignant.
If you ever saw "My Cousin Vinny" then you will know what I mean when I feel like Marisa Tormae when she was on the stand explaining why a '55 Chevy with a 327 was a trick question....

I just want to reach across the counter, snatch the keyboard, make pointy motions to my eyes and say "Ok buddy, just look at me, and listen to what I am telling you I want, not what your computer is asking you...."

I swear we are breeding a generation that without electricity will fail to communicate and starve to death.
Yeah, literally.

But soon on the vroom, my man ...

Quote:
Before you turn the key make sure the motor is primed with oil. You probable already did that with the
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62200/overview/ tool. Just my .02
Watched a buddy crank and crank and crank on a dry motor. Pulled the oil pan plug with fine metal shavings on the magnetic plug.

Did a little research on the priming the motor/carb/fuel line and came to realize I've probably been doing it wrong myself.
Here are some links that have better info than what I can tell you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6885297_prim...fuel-pump.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/c...fuel-pump.html

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684
(I know its the F@#d barn but the info might be helpful) Deepest apologizes for the F word.
Although none of this matters if the guy behind the counter asks if you have manual or electric windows.

Looking good Murph
I dont have that tool man... plus that would mean taking out the dissy again, and I am not about all that. Since putting it back in the frame I have cranked it a few times for a dozen revolutions. Remember this is not a clean, dry rebuilt engine, just one that I rinsed off and painted. Also after it had sat for a while I shot PB Blaster in each piston chamber. Not sure if that is going to be as helpful as I am hoping, but..... I surely do appreciate the suggestions. I may get a long screw driver and cheap socket from the pawn shop and make me one of those tools.... cant be too hard, right?

Quote:
Nice job Murph! Anxious to see the seat!

I wouldn't fret none about priming the fuel line but what Bomp is sayin is a great idea and I'd do that for sure. Even take an old sacrificial screw driver, cut the handle off and chuck it in a cordless drill. I like to crank the pump over until I see oil dribbling at the rocker arms. Make sure and DOUBLE check the pressure side of your fuel line. We don't want any fires at this point. If you can't help yourself and you pour fuel in the carby to get it fired, make SURE you have a good-crankin battery and PUT THE AIR FILTER BACK ON before you crank it. I've seen many a carb fire and the best way to snuff that out is with the starter, NOT throwing rags, sand, water, etc... all over your engine compartment. If it doesn't fire right up after you've got fuel flowing STOP and figure out why. It should crank right up and run if you've got it close to right. I'd start with just straight water in the radiator to start. That way if you have leaks or other issues it's just cheap water, not expensive poison all over the garage. The Lord can clean that mess while Murph has a beer. Once she's shook out, drain the water and add coolant. Can't wait to hear it running man! Put a start-up video together for us!
I ran one piece steel lines that were 12feet long for the fuel. Fuel hose with hose clamps on each end for both as well. I cannot possibly imagine there being a fuel leak but I will be sure to look. I actually have a very large syringe and instead of pushing fuel down the lines from the pump back (like I was going to do), I will draw it up from the tank forward.
HINT: I got that idea from the links Bomp provided.... Heheheheh and he thinks I dont listen to him

Awwww brother, I cannot wait to share what this gal is doing to my bench seat!
I think I talked her into a steering wheel wrap too (though I will have to wrap it myself, but I am totally cool with that !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
You can smell the closeness! Go Murph!
I know, it is starting to smell like awesomeness !! Just like yours !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #1088
clemdaddy

Man, I soooooo want to get it outside and do the video tour so as to get the full spectrum of the colors in that cab and on the dash.
I think someone asked about that around my 1 year post, but at the time it was too hard for me to get my head wrapped around. Now I am thinking I can really knock that out. (quote)... hmmmm

we're being very patient here, kinda squirming but holding it together...

hows the weather up there? any good early morning light for filming? maybe a magical boreallis background going on in the evening sky...

being patient, very patient...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1089
flips72

nice work on the parking brake murph, hate to hear about the skeeters, that would for sure be a headache to have to deal with.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #1090
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post

I swear we are breeding a generation that without electricity will fail to communicate and starve to death.
Theoretically that generation will be taking care of us when we're old. Scary, isn't it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #1091
coulter

nice job on the ebrake cable mod!!! I always love the make it work type mods. sux about the nightmare dealing with the parts store just to get the right size belt
as far as the exhaust goes i bought a universal mandrel bend kit from summit that came with 2 45, 2 90s, 2 U bends and some straight pipes for less than 200. plus it was pretty fun to build. i recommend that route so we can see what you come up with!!! plus thats just another thing you can add to the "yeah i made that" list

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #1092
jlsanborn

I'm fortunate on the "parts-guy" thing here. Once you've relocated you'll be happy to use the Napa on north Division. Darrel has been in the buiz for more than 30 years. There's three other guys in there (Chris, is one) that all have extended experience and won't steer you wrong. What's even better is that most of them are Chevy guys!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #1093
66C06

nice!!!!
07 Hayabusa - absolute chaos
66C06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #1094
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I am still waiting patiently to see your seat dude!
Step it up a notch, will ya?
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #1095
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Dude, great things take time.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #1096
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Quote:
Yeah, Yeah.
And that is why you haven't seen crap from me lately!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #1097
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
I think someone asked about that around my 1 year post, but at the time it was too hard for me to get my head wrapped around. Now I am thinking I can really knock that out. (quote)... hmmmm

we're being very patient here, kinda squirming but holding it together...

hows the weather up there? any good early morning light for filming? maybe a magical boreallis background going on in the evening sky...

being patient, very patient...
I am getting closer to doing this Clem.
A little anticipation never hurt anyone, tho I am flattered by your pensiveness !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
nice work on the parking brake murph, hate to hear about the skeeters, that would for sure be a headache to have to deal with.
Thanks Flips, and yeah, those blood suckers are BAD this year.
I will have to show you what saved me tho.... it works INCREDIBLY well in repelling them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkn463 View Post
Theoretically that generation will be taking care of us when we're old. Scary, isn't it?
Posted via Mobile Device
There are some seriously scary connotations to that idea.... How are they going to take care of us, if they cannot keep from shooting each other up en'masse ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter View Post
nice job on the ebrake cable mod!!! I always love the make it work type mods. sux about the nightmare dealing with the parts store just to get the right size belt
as far as the exhaust goes i bought a universal mandrel bend kit from summit that came with 2 45, 2 90s, 2 U bends and some straight pipes for less than 200. plus it was pretty fun to build. i recommend that route so we can see what you come up with!!! plus thats just another thing you can add to the "yeah i made that" list
Dude you seriously got my brain bubbling about the exhaust set up.
Do you remember where you got yours?

Quote:
I'm fortunate on the "parts-guy" thing here. Once you've relocated you'll be happy to use the Napa on north Division. Darrel has been in the buiz for more than 30 years. There's three other guys in there (Chris, is one) that all have extended experience and won't steer you wrong. What's even better is that most of them are Chevy guys!!!
Well unless the Army is a LOT smarter than they usually present themselves, and they actually pick me up for my next promotion this winter, then at this point I only have 13 months left till mandatory retirement....
Could almost count the days, ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66C06 View Post
nice!!!!
Thank you, I hope you keep checking in !!

Quote:
A drum roll, please................

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, Yeah.
And that is why you haven't seen crap from me lately!
Ok, Peer Pressure me into it why dont you.... See below ya big bully !!

Ok ....... after dinner that is........ hang in there Modges !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #1098
McMurphy

Some of you that have followed this build may remember back in December 2011 my wife and I pulling a front bench seat from a wrecked Bronco.
It looked something like this:
Name:  23-26dec11 (3).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  53.6 KB

Ok it looked a lot like that.... but we were having fun, and I had a bench seat with head rests. I was not particularly fond of the stock head rests on this model, but I was willing to over look that. Then I found head rests in a Nissan passenger car and on an impulse I snagged them (from the junk yard of course, not from a random car in the neighborhood....)
Well this is what the seat looked like before.....................................................................and after I picked it up today.
Name:  23-26dec11 (5).jpg
Views: 542
Size:  41.5 KBName:  01jul13 seat upholstery done (4).jpg
Views: 537
Size:  28.6 KB

This is Kristin at Fairbanks Refinishing and Upholstery who helped me select the materiels, and who did all the work getting this seat together for me. She was fantastically generous in describing certain things to me, like why wikking (sp?) does not wear well, and what other certain trade terms meant.
All in all I think she did a bang up job of it, and I got the impression that she was as happy with the results (tho she started off sort of skeptical when she saw the colors and textures I wanted) as I was today !!
Kudos to her for the job she did, particularly in taking the time to look at my build on this site to get an idea of what I was shooting for on the interior.
So this one is for you dear, thanks for giving me permission to post it !!
Name:  01jul13 seat upholstery done (2).jpg
Views: 541
Size:  55.3 KB

I promised her I would bring the truck by once it was done and let her see the finished rig !!

**************************************************************************************************** ********************************************

So there you go Modges, that is my humble seat.
I have 24 hour duty tomorrow so it is going to be later this week (the 4th of July four day weekend starts Wednesday for us ) before I can get it mounted in the cab, but hey, more opportunity to take more photos for you guys; right ?!?!?!?!?

As always, thanks for checking in on me dudes..... YOU PUMP ME UP !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 07-02-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #1099
flips72

seat looks great murph, it will definitely be at home in the cab of your truck, just don't tell everyone its a ford seat
Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #1100
Ta2Don

A F&%d seat
Seriously though... Seat looks great, and I have to agree with Flips, it is going to be right at home in your cab!!!
Have a Happy Fourth, and here's to you and your service
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote