The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I got an early birthday present!
I bought the cd drive. it helped a lot. with it was better organized but its awesome
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
MARTINSR

Just remember the basics, I have this up on my wall so I don't forget.

No, honestly, that manual can be VERY valuable. You have to hear a story, sorry.

I never even looked at one for years and years, decades. I always thought those were for dummies who didn't have all the car knowledge I did, those were for people who didn't know what they were doing and had to be told like a child. I honestly thought this, I never conscientiously thought it, but in me that is what I was thinking, and I simply never touched one. Those books were for mechanical stuff to look up engine timing and head bolt torque, that was about it, NOT for anything to do with body, geeez.

Then I got my Rambler, and my brother moved out of the area (my mechanic.) I knew NOTHING about this car, first one in my life that I didn't know how many years they used that motor, or what other models used those brakes, that sort of stuff, I didn't even know how many years the body parts exchanged with, I knew nothing. This was VERY unlike anything I had ever owned.

So I got manuals for it, OMG this solved a lot of problems working with the doors, stuff was just goofy different and OMG now I found I was pulling out the manuals on my Gran Sport too, my brother bought me these, I sure wouldn't have. One day I was having a hell of a time putting the door glass in, I pulled the manual and wham done deal!

No, I was a moron, they CAN be very valuable, and actually kinda fun as they put you there in the factory or in the repair shop in 1950. I enjoy being in that repair shop in 1950.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
mikebte

Wired up the ignition and installed. That about wraps up this evening.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
MARTINSR

I thought I was done with all the welding and metal work on the cab.

I was starting the cleaning up under the dash and all to get the primer shot and I saw this, crap, I will get it fixed tomorrow.

Tell me guys, on this AD you can see that there are three holes in the gas pedal bracket, what the hell are those holes there for? The bracket is welded to the floor, why would those holes be there?

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
mikebte

Sander, prepped and sealed the floor board. Tomorrow comes sound/heat material and carpet.

Man, old trucks sure now how to waist a weekend. For some reason we still keep at it.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #6
MARTINSR

I spent 5 hours driving to get my seat does that count for working on my truck? My wife went with me as it was my wedding anniversary present.

Anyway, thank you so much iowaboynca for the opportunity to get this seat, it's just what I needed to move another step forward. And seeing your truck was cool, thanks again.

I got the seat in the cab for the first time and see that I need some serious mods, I knew I would but was hoping I wouldn't. But it's all good, I will section the back of the seat down out of the window view, make foam pads instead of the springs and it will be perfect.

I also got the hole welded into the firewall for the brake pedal and tomorrow will weld the top piece in finishing that.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
evilokc

picked up my parts truck yesterday. it was a long 9 hours round trip the truck has a lot of usable parts. none of them perfect. I was surprised that the motor looks complete minus oil bath breather.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
robertsjm711

Super cool parts rig. I'd get it just for the bumper brackets, then place it in the front yard as a piece of art.

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsjm711 View Post
Super cool parts rig. I'd get it just for the bumper brackets, then place it in the front yard as a piece of art.
my neighborhood wouldn't appreciate yard art at all. im going to take what I need off of it which is mostly brackets and then im going to sell it all off.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
svr

Getting doors ready for epoxy primer sealer, trying to get insides cleaned out and rust restorer on anything inside with some rust on it. Major pita gettingall the dirt, chicken feed, and what ever else found its way in there over the years includeing a 7/16 craftsman end wrench. Wiped ,sanded, vacumed and blew until i think i got everything out.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
MARTINSR

I am in having a beer watching the Giants play after beating my butt out in the heat today. But damn oh damn did I get something done. I welded in the piece on the floor at the brake pedal.
I then got the seat tracks modified lowering the back an inch or so. I got the seat skirts trimmed off, I got the seat frame area lowered. WHOO HOOO! The seat mods are done.

I don't mind telling you, I got a little verklemped when I sat on the seat and slid it back and forth on the tracks! OMG this is the first part working on this truck, that was it, the very first thing to WORK on this project.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #12
MiraclePieCo

Rattle-canned my inner fenders today. Nothing to do while waiting for paint to dry, so I installed the side hood emblems too.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-04-2018 at 05:14 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
MARTINSR

I am heading off right now for a full forth of July day, parade, fireworks the whole bit. So I HAD to get out there for my five minutes this morning. Got my radio hole angled edge removed, cleaned up back and front and a patch made. Though that patch still needs some fine tuning to get it butted in there but didn't want to be grinding out there being the neighbors have already started their 4th festivities out back. Anyway, off to the celebrations! And I will be celebrating another step on the truck on it's way.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
robertsjm711

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am heading off right now for a full forth of July day, parade, fireworks the whole bit. So I HAD to get out there for my five minutes this morning. Got my radio hole angled edge removed, cleaned up back and front and a patch made. Though that patch still needs some fine tuning to get it butted in there but didn't want to be grinding out there being the neighbors have already started their 4th festivities out back. Anyway, off to the celebrations! And I will be celebrating another step on the truck on it's way.

Brian
How did you get that radio delete piece bent at the same angle as the dash? I have tried to make smooth bends like that and have failed miserably.

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsjm711 View Post
How did you get that radio delete piece bent at the same angle as the dash? I have tried to make smooth bends like that and have failed miserably.
I went walking around looking for something that was round in the right size and ended up on an engine stand in the back yard. LOL I used an auto body spoon to bend it into shape over that pipe on the engine stand.

Brian

Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
mikebte

POR15, sounds/heat matting, carpet. Done for the weekend, to hot out....
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #17
Black_Sheep

I got the door jambs painted, when I get the doors hung the truck will go to the painter. Hopefully by Thursday...
Attached Images

Last edited by Black_Sheep; 07-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #18
1project2many

After two years of higher priority projects, I finally took the time to remove the balancer. I might even have the new one back on before the week ends!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #19
idbeast

Got the upper hangers for the shoulder belts done and installed... Yes I stole someone else's idea!!! Thanks Dan in Pasadena! it was Tig welded!

Jim
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Got the upper hangers for the shoulder belts done and installed... Yes I stole someone else's idea!!! Thanks Dan in Pasadena! it was Tig welded!

Jim
Ha, I JUST saw this. I guess I should check this thread more often than two weeks.

You're very welcome. I'm glad someone else was able to use something I posted.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #21
MARTINSR

Damn, now you have me thinking again, crap. I was going to put one in like that in my cab and decided against it, I may just do it still, crap.

Brian

Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Damn, now you have me thinking again, crap. I was going to put one in like that in my cab and decided against it, I may just do it still, crap.

Brian
Brian, sorry about that!!! It was actually easier and quicker then I thought!

mikebte Thanks!

Jim
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #23
Black_Sheep

got my driver side door hung...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #24
MARTINSR

After working on my daughters and sons cars I got out to the garage. All I was going to do is find my center windshield moulding that had the metal it attaches to so I could weld it in the coming days. Then the poopoo hit the fan when I couldn't find it. Through the shed, the cupboard full of boxes of parts, all labeled by the way. Was very disappointed and giving up. My memory isn't so good anymore and it's kinda scary, I mean I KNOW I had this moulding with the screws going through the inner moulding and the metal support. I KNOW I had it, but then started second guessing that, geeez.

I went back to the boxes I had already checked and WHAM, there they were, geeez. Not only was this thing I was looking for but a bunch of others that I forgot I had, again, that memory is kinda scary being I just boxed these up a few months ago.

Anyway, I removed the little pieces of the old one on the top that I had simply cut away and was able to slip the "new" on right in there. It's ready to weld in tomorrow.

It's so funny how when I chopped this truck the first time I simply cut the pieces and welded them together. Butt welded it right in the middle. Now after working in the collision industry I simply drilled the welds out and put the piece in just like the factory did. So funny how different it is this time.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #25
mikebte

Nice job on the belt mounting. Looks nice and clean.

Last edited by mikebte; 07-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.