The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #101
los-lowrider

Re: How to lower my ride? Please help a newbie.

3rd
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #102
los-lowrider

BWT, I would like to lower the rear additionally 3". Do you think I can manage this by using lowering blocks or are they no good choice. The other way would be to take a leaf out but I don't think that this will give me more than approx. 1".
Every comment is welcome!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #103
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

COOL! I imagine it does take a while to get parts shipped over.

I wouldn't advise a 3" block. I would take a leaf (or two) out first and see how much that gives you. Once you get an idea what that does, then you can consider the lowering blocks.

Keep us updated on your progress...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-17-2007 at 08:45 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #104
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Good progress, especially for the wait.

I don't know if you can go 3" more in the rear. You would probably have to shave your snubber and even then, your pumpkin would probably hit the bed floor. I agree with N2Trux, I wouldn't go with a 3" block either. Maybe try a 1" block and see what that buys you. Pulling leafs probably wouldn't help much since you've got a flip kit. Maybe it's time for a link bar setup and some rear frame/bedfloor mods.

Keep up the good progress. It's getting there.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #105
chevysnbuicks

Wow, that is sweet, I'll be studying this thread a lot. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #106
los-lowrider

Dear all thank you for your interest, I just started to think this thread isn't very interesting for you because of the little response.

I will try a 1" block and remove the lowest leaf. BTW I already have a 5" flip kit and 2" shackles.

BTW has anybody pics of a bagged rear (over leafs) with an western notch.

Attached you'll find some videos of the first tries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4pDoBCn00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onpu-PpNHaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myiTE4aCipg

At the moment it isn't really lower than before but I can cut the cups 1" more. With the speed I am quit confident because I use the air lift block with small valves!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #107
FlatBrokeRacing

WOW...
What a thread...Truck looks good...Very nice and very smooth.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #108
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

How do you make those bags fill and dump faster?
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 AM   #109
los-lowrider

@Mr79C10
larger lines and air tank
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 AM   #110
los-lowrider

Yesterday I tried it the first time with the new air tank. And now I have the next problem, I use the air lift two valves block which seems not be able to switch under pressure. So I would geuss I need an 3/2 way valve which deflates block after each switch. Is this correct and has anybody here done this because I have no idea which relais would work.

Additionally I just don't believe the pressure shown on the display is correct.
Any comment is welcome. I will see how it turns out. Maybe I should invest at this point in the new digital air lift management kit to be on the save side.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 AM   #111
los-lowrider

Has anybody experience with this:
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #112
los-lowrider

No comment? I think anybody here has this set up please share your experience with me!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #113
boxrodz

Looks like you're gonna be 'der Bahnbrecher'.
Who's makes that type of management system?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #114
bb1979

You have a sweet ride there, with those helper air bags you had installed in the front suspension did you have any problems with them or did you just remove them so you could go lower??

I ask because my truck has 3" drop spindles with 2" lowered coils, with the 30" tall tyres I currently have on it I have approx 5" clearance under the lower a-arms. My tyres buzz the fenders in big dips at the moment so I am planning to put a set of 28" tall tyres on soon.

This brings me to my question. Over here in Australia the lowest you can legally go is 4" at the lowest point even if you are totally bagged. So by changing the tyres I will be at the legal limit, now I have a 454 sitting in the shed waiting to go in, which will make the front end drop another 1" or so.

Basically I can get this setup to suit my truck here in Australia and the manufacturer says it will work but I want the opinion of someone who has used them.

I'm not that interested in going up and down because of the above mentioned point but will it allow me to raise the front should i need to & how will it affect the ride. I doubt it will need much pressure to lift the front, but I have read how rubbing the air bag causes it to fail. I won't be buying these till after the big block is in so I can check the ride height. Thanks for your answer in advance
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #115
los-lowrider

@bb1979
Well it worked but I woudn't buy them again because I had to use a higher pressure than the manufacturer recoments. I filled them min 100psi to get it high enough for a save feeling. Ride quality is ok. Maybe I could have used a little less but not a lot. the next point is that air line is connected from the underside of the lower arm so you might rub.
And in my case one of them started to leak after approx. 8 months of use which is not really a sign of quality in my opinion. But thatis just my opinion. BTW my front is lowered 6.5" but equipped with an small block so if you go with big block the difference shouldn't be so big. Additionally without air tank it took some time to raise the front.
All together:
pros They are cheap, easy to install and work.
cons Air line under lower arm, didn't last long in my case.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #116
los-lowrider

Hey guys, just one short question. I tried to contact suicidedoors several times but till now it takes very long. irst order I wrote to Jerid but then Dave Bosse told me soory but he isn't working here any mmore. Then I conversate with him. Now I wrote him an mail regarding the air lift set uo above; no response so today I wrote to Jason and got a automatic mail bail back that he won't be able to answer every mail. I would guess he is the boss and short of time but I mean I would like to spend quit a lot of money. Do you have similar experience or is it just my personal experience?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #117
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Ihre Website ist überwältigend, heir ..Die Autos sind schön

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!

Last edited by knightlife; 05-29-2007 at 02:11 PM.
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #118
los-lowrider

Hey knightlife thank you, I am not confident with my site at the moment because a lot of options don't work but in the next few weeks it's going to be uptaded and worked on it.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #119
bb1979

Thanks for the info, I've looked at fully bagging it but can't see the point with the way the law is over here. So i guess i'll pass on these for now and alter the tyre sizes and suspension to the best of my ability, I also think a new set of body mounts would do wonders for the tyres buzzing

Thanks again
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 AM   #120
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
Has anybody experience with this:
los-lowrider -

What are you looking to know?

One push of a button, and the ride height is restored from layin low or risin' high...

From the looks of it, it uses pressure sensors to restore the ride height. As long as the weight of the truck, passengers and load doesn't change too drastically, then it should do the job. Otherwise, you'll have to change the pressure at some or all of the bags to retain the ride height under load. It does seem to have some descent features and the package looks clean. Easy Street has an installation manual on-line if you're looking for more details on the install as well as the operation of the set-up. Your other option is to consider a system that uses ride height sensors rather than pressure sensors. This type of system will restore the ride height regardless of the changes in gross vehicle weight. But, you're looking a double the cost.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 AM   #121
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
Hey guys, just one short question. I tried to contact suicidedoors several times but till now it takes very long. irst order I wrote to Jerid but then Dave Bosse told me soory but he isn't working here any mmore. Then I conversate with him. Now I wrote him an mail regarding the air lift set uo above; no response so today I wrote to Jason and got a automatic mail bail back that he won't be able to answer every mail. I would guess he is the boss and short of time but I mean I would like to spend quit a lot of money. Do you have similar experience or is it just my personal experience?
I've heard positive feedback from their customer support. They do tend to get overwhelm from time to time, especially during times of personnel changes.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 AM   #122
los-lowrider

@boxrodz
I am just not sure about the quality, the components looks good and seem to be a good way to have all. And I think the 3/8 valves should be fast.
The only thing is that i don't know if I should trust air lift products anymore because as I menzioned above mine sure set doesn't work really well after one year of use.
So I just wanna to know if anybody here as some experience with this set up but it seems nobody has installed it yet.
At the moment I decided to wait for an reply by suicidedoors.

All together I believe this is a real good set up and if I compare a old school system with that the difference in pricing isn't that big and a lot less lines (gauges) are necessary. A all in one package with only data cable to the cab.

But as I said it is a lot of money so I want some more information before ordering, keep in mind I have to calculate with addidtionally 35%-45% for Shipping, customs, VAT and clearence.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #123
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Have you considered the Air Ride system? I know they are more expensive, but that's all they use at the shop where my 77 Cheyenne was bagged. They have installed automatic systems on dozens of cars and seem to be pleased with the results.

Suicide has great prices and good product, but they get a ton of calls and emails. I don't think they have the staff to handle all the customers they have.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #124
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Have you considered the Air Ride system? I know they are more expensive, but that's all they use at the shop where my 77 Cheyenne was bagged. They have installed automatic systems on dozens of cars and seem to be pleased with the results.

Suicide has great prices and good product, but they get a ton of calls and emails. I don't think they have the staff to handle all the customers they have.
I think S.Doors is great for the experienced rodder who knows exactly what he needs. Air-Ride is the better choice for the novice.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #125
los-lowrider

I like the ART stuff a lot and never heard something bad about them, great quality but also expensive. To be true they are not in my budget. I still looked for a used set but didn't found one. So I thought about air lift to get an similar set up with all these features but it seems nobody has used it yet. I remember I have seen one this air lift set up's on e-bay in a silver 78 or so. Looked great maybe somebody can remember this truck it was several times for sale.