The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #101
Neatbeard

Re: 66 SB Step Side- Ex Air Force Base Truck

I debated whether to start a new thread but I thought that it would be nice to keep this one alive for as long as I have the truck as (in my opinion) it is about the truck and not myself.

I think its great to see how the life of this truck evolves.........

Yesterday I fitted the front n rear number plates and unbolted the bench seat ready for the mother in law to recover it tomorrow with the mexi (serpe) blankets that ive already got.

Started the motor up too as its been sitting unused for a couple of weeks, took a few pumps of the accelerator pedal as well as the choke to fire it up and she purred away nicely.

Went to restart it again a couple of hours later and DEAD nothing there....?? The battery seems to be OK (haven't properly checked yet) but when I turn the key the ignition lights come on and then nothing............no click from the starter solenoid or anything? The whole ignition unit seems abit loose in the dash so I tightened that up and tried again but still nothing....... its weird as all i did was spray some WD40 around the engine bay to protect the electrics from out damp climate.... maybe its seeped in somewhere it shouldn't. Will try to investigate tomorrow when I have time.
Neatbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #102
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatbeard View Post
I debated whether to start a new thread but I thought that it would be nice to keep this one alive for as long as I have the truck as (in my opinion) it is about the truck and not myself.

I think its great to see how the life of this truck evolves.........
I have always looked at these threads as documenting what we as builders, from beginners to the pro's, do to the ride to put our signature on the vehicle...

My trucks and their evolution are a testament of the decisions I have made with them... hence.. my build threads..

One man's opinion...

However, like the hot rodding culture, it is all a matter of personal expression both with the trucks and here on the forum..

Your truck is way cool... no matter what path you take..

I would love to see an angry motor in her to scare the locals with..

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #103
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I have to disagree, I think it is cool for the thread to follow the truck, not necessarily the builder.
Just my 2 cents, of course!
This is the thread on my wife's car we just sold on two weeks ago.....

http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...y&thread=60718

The new owner Dan, is 13 years old, he has chosen to keep her name as before, being Myrtle and also posted his first progress report today.

I think an own ego is good, but these vehicles can have a soul of their own.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #104
jesseo

I was reading your other thread and didn't put it together until now that this was the same guy looking for a truck. Please keep this thread for your build. It is cool that it shows the history of the truck. I was following the POs thread before it was sold since he lives a couple hours south of me.

Dig the cars you have access too also. Maybe someday I can get an old school Mini shipped to the US.

Last edited by jesseo; 04-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #105
Neatbeard

Right got a bit more done today, cleaned all the old tarboards off the cab floor as I wanted to see how bad they were. I'm really pleased to say that the floor is totally solid and original, untouched factory steel! Not a hole or patch repair panel anywhere!

While I was doing that the mother in law upholstered the original bench seat for us.

Slowly getting there. Next step is to properly clean, degrease and prime all the interior metal work ready for top coat.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #106
McMurphy

Firstly, did you chase down your ignition issue, and what did it turn out to be?

Secondly, I must say that I have been on this site daily for 18 months and the perspective of threads following the build or the builder is a new one that I have not seen explored before.

I certainly appreicate both points of view though, as I got to thinking of it from 66-PMD's point of the professional.
For me, being a classic Pontiac owner and being used to the Pontiac Historical Services (PHS) where they track down all existing documentation on your car for you, it lends towards what Grizz said about them taking on a soul of their own too.

I think this would be an awesome topic for community poll, to see what the majority mind set is.
(Not that I am a "think inside the herd" sort of fellow mind you....)

Just curious.

Congrats on your rust free cab. That is definately not common !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #107
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Right got a bit more done today, cleaned all the old tarboards off the cab floor as I wanted to see how bad they were. I'm really pleased to say that the floor is totally solid and original, untouched factory steel! Not a hole or patch repair panel anywhere!

While I was doing that the mother in law upholstered the original bench seat for us.

Slowly getting there. Next step is to properly clean, degrease and prime all the interior metal work ready for top coat.

WOW! that is a clean floor!

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #108
Neatbeard

While I was at work today my better half etch primed the bare steel on the floor and she even ordered me/us/the truck a box of Dynomat!! I was gona use the stick back roof flashing lead but she said no lets do it once and do it properly! She also bought some red paint to do the interior and has got me to take the door trim panels off so that she can clean them tomorrow while im at work and get them ready to trim in matching mexi blanket material!

She's a keeper!

Oh and I sorted out why the truck wouldn't start as well, its a stick starter solenoid, did the old 'screwdriver over the terminals' trick and on the second attempt it kicked into life. Got inside, pumper the pedal a few times and it fired right up!

That has all put a big smile on my face after a crappy, full-on day at work.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #109
Neatbeard

Got some more done this weekend, seeing as the weather has turned warmer and more spring-like now.

Sanded down all the interior metal work (doors, floor, rear of cab, roof, dash...etc) and laid down some primer on the door inners and then some nice bright red topcoat to see what it would look like with the mexi blanket trim, etc.

I think its gona work....

Slowly getting there...

Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #110
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Got some more done this weekend, seeing as the weather has turned warmer and more spring-like now.

Sanded down all the interior metal work (doors, floor, rear of cab, roof, dash...etc) and laid down some primer on the door inners and then some nice bright red topcoat to see what it would look like with the mexi blanket trim, etc.

I think its gona work....

Slowly getting there...

WAY COOL!!!

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #111
McMurphy

Yep, looks like that is going to work just fine !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #112
Neatbeard

My better half treated me to a box of Dynamat so I put that to good use on the cab floor and bulkhead with enough left over to do the back of the interior door panels too.

Then using a big roll of proper automotive carpet left over from doing my old camper project she carpeted all the floor for me, I was the 'hired help' holding pieces in place and telling her to "..mind the cables....' as she weilded the scissors and knife about!

Just waiting on new door handles and door rubbers to be delivered and I can finish off the interior and then enjoy driving this thing....

Tattooed pinstriper and graphic designer with an awesome award winning beard! Check me out at http://www.vontash.co.uk
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #113
UK62LW

Nice job !!
Posted via Mobile Device

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
UK62LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #114
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

That will be an improvemnt for sure...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #115
jesseo

Lookin good and now should be nice and quite. Well quite ish.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #116
Neatbeard

Getting close to completing the interior now, I think it looks better than the old matt pink that it was before......

Tried to fit the new steering wheel today as well but need a boss kit. So just that, door rubbers, micro USB to Apple adaptor so I can use my phone for the stereo, new red seat belts and the interior will be pretty much sorted.

Still debating whether to sticker bomb the roof area with old school tattoo studio, hot rod and retro related stickers.....

Tattooed pinstriper and graphic designer with an awesome award winning beard! Check me out at http://www.vontash.co.uk
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #117
Ta2Don

Quote:
Still debating whether to sticker bomb the roof area with old school tattoo studio, hot rod and retro related stickers.....
Great Idea!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #118
chad64chevy

i agree that would be cool
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #119
Neatbeard

Fitted my new walnut rimmed Grant steering wheel this evening, pretty much finished inside now other than adding some pinstriping and stickers....

Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #120
Jmorales3181

Truck is looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #121
Neatbeard

Spent the long bank holiday weekend getting ready to put new wood in the rear of the truck. Cleaned up the chassis rails and wood supports, etch primed them all and then sprayed them satin black (after masking up to protect the patina!).

Pity it's all gona be covered up, at least I know its all good under there though.

Next job is to cut the wood to size, stain and varnish it with plenty of coats to survive our crappy weather. Clean, prime and top coat the reinforcing/rubbing strips and then bolt it all down with new bolts.

Stay tuned.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #122
Neatbeard

Still haven't got round to doing the bed wood yet. But I did glue in my new door rubbers that went better than I thought it would. We have had a week of heavy rain here and the cab is still bone dry so thats all good. Only thing now is that I have to wind the windows down and/or slam the doors really hard..... I hope the rubber bed in before I smash the door glass!!!!

Not much more to report as im driving it about now more than working on it!

Next job bed wood in the rear and make my sticker bombed headlining panel for the cab.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #123
McMurphy

You are making great progress!
I am in the process of smoothing carpet in now, door seals, steering wheel, stereo final install are next on list for me!

I like how yours is turning out. Would like to see how your sticker bombed ceiling would turn out.
Saw a build once where the owner did the hood in comic book pages he had clipped, was pretty cool as a collage.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #124
Neatbeard

Thanks Michael. Its coming on slowly. I'm still getting used to driving it and having fun with it. I almost got wedged in the petrol station last weekend! Gotta love our small little island and its little roads!!!

I will update with pix when I have progress to show.

I am trying to collect enough stickers to do the roof lining panel. I am probably going to use a piece of foamex board that we use here at work for signage. I'm not sure how to mount it yet as I don't want to drill holes or make it too permanent incase I don't like it. But at the same time I don't want it to fall down when i'm driving! I will probably use some kind of industrial velcro to attach it......

Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #125
McMurphy

Hot glue gun would probably work real good.
That way if you dont like it, you can just pull it off, and peel off any of the remaining adhesive without any damage to your cab or paint.

Since it is on the ceiling, it may only last a few years before getting too cooked by the heat (assuming it gets hot there in the summers) but it would not be too big a pain the butt to redo at that time....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest