The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #101
Xeen

Re: taking two cabs to make one good cab

I see you need a parking brake assembly, contact Bob at Bobs Vintage Truck in Lenexa 913-634-1697 and see if he will ship one to you, if he doesnt answer leave a message and he will call you back promptly, his price will be reasonable I want to say he charged me $30 or less when I bought mine from him. Tell him Brian from Topeka sent you.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #102
twillie2460

xeen thanks I will give him a shout very soon as this is one of those "systems" or sub systems I would like to cross off my list as finished. My axles should be on there way back form the machines shop very soon. My brakes line are to be here this week so early next week I should be able to get the rearend finished, the frontend finshed and the brakes finished. That T-56 shifter relocation is a bit more envolved than what I first read and thought it would be. I can't find a place that is willing to take that job on so I t seems I leave the shifter where it is or I must try and do it myself.
twillie2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #103
twillie2460

Not a good shop day, one fiquring out the T-56 shifter relocation is alot more envovled than previously thought. Then I dumped about two quarts of transmiision fluid on the floor, while cleaning that up kick over a good quart of diesel I had out using to clean my axles off so I could send them to the machine shop. After I got that cleaned up I turned off the lights and walked out for the day.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #104
jmking9

Truck is looking great. I hope to see you on the road sometime. Im only 15 min from Joplin. I havent come across too many local board members, so its nice to see one.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #105
twillie2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Truck is looking great. I hope to see you on the road sometime. Im only 15 min from Joplin. I havent come across too many local board members, so its nice to see one.
I hope to see it on the road again and sometimes like to day it seems ever further away, but it will be driven by me again.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #106
twillie2460

Well I do have good news after all that has happened today and for the rest of you that likes to stay original when you can get a load of this. I have a brother that lives in the desert west "the land of no rust" but I got in touch with him a old truck guy anyway and had him look for a nice inner rightside fender. Now for the great low price of 50 US dollars I have a near perfect 68 inner fender. Some paint has peeled off and one patch less than .5 inch x 1 inch I can have a rust free inner fender.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #107
twillie2460

Got the new e-brake cable in from Rock Auto and it works great, much better than LMC and better price too. Her is a picture all installed now I have tore in back down as I want to paint the parts I pick up from the vitange salvage yard to hook up the e-brake inside the hub. I will post the painted picture when I get it done.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #108
twillie2460

Well here are the pics of the brakes with the e-brake cable on that is from
Rock Auto. Still I have find two more parts as I think the self adjuster is not right for this one on the right side and it works backwards as the way it should I believe. The wheel needs to work down to move the adjuster out and this has to move up to move out. I have to get he little plate that goes on top to help keep the shoes in place on the left side.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #109
twillie2460

The T-56 shifter relocation is going to cost mme more $$ as I found some broke teeth on the 5th 6th gear cluster. I assume it was done from the people that were suppose to put the fix for 3th 4th gear fix that these transmission need or so I read anyway. Well that gear cluster is a measly 183 bucks plus shipping. I did howerver fisnish the hydrolic brakes front to back minus a few c-clips and the boot for the mater cyl
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #110
twillie2460

I hope to get the rest of GT mat put in the cab today and my Moog steering parts painted and may installed today.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #111
twillie2460

The Gt mat is installed and the steering parts painted and maybe installed tomorrow as this mat thing was enougth for today.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #112
Xeen

That should quiet the road, exhaust and drivetrain noise considerably.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #113
twillie2460

I installed new rear KYB shocks today and tried to fiqure out a way to install the front sway bar that I got some time ago with 67 short stepside that a huge oak tree put it to its death. Well as you can see this sway bar was torched from the donor truck. Not sure what I would have to do to get it in this truck. Have not found any brackets for the front and not sure if would have to fabricate them myself or can I find them somewhere. I really don't want to weld on my POR-15 painted frame but would something I make or buy just bolt on. I know about where they go on the frame and there is no holes there already. So has anyone did this before or can you point me in the right direction?
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #114
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

You can bolt the sway bar diretly to the frame. Many of the lowered guys do it that way so it won't stick down so low..

The U-bracket for the bushings are still available from a dealer.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #115
twillie2460

Well I did not know that but it is something I will do since I already have the bar. I did however take the time today to hit it hard with a wire wheel and then got a heavy coat of paint on it for just in case I get to use it, so thanks for the advice.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #116
Xeen

CPP sells both the stock and drop version of the front sway bar bracket.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #117
twillie2460

Not sure my front end is correct as I thought I have a 72 complete disk brake with crossmember in my 68 so I bought pitman and tie rods for a 72 not sure they are any different from the 68 ones. Well anyway the inner tie rods are I believe to close to the crossmember, I cant see any light between the two at one point. I am using ther same center ling that was in the 68 and wonder if there is a diiference in a 68 and 72 center link or why my tie rods are that close to the crossmember. I don't have pics but can get them.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #118
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillie2460 View Post
Not sure my front end is correct as I thought I have a 72 complete disk brake with crossmember in my 68 so I bought pitman and tie rods for a 72 not sure they are any different from the 68 ones. Well anyway the inner tie rods are I believe to close to the crossmember, I cant see any light between the two at one point. I am using ther same center ling that was in the 68 and wonder if there is a diiference in a 68 and 72 center link or why my tie rods are that close to the crossmember. I don't have pics but can get them.
Ok heres the deal both inner and outter tie rod ends are different for disk brakes 71-72, also the Pitman Arm is different for power steering and it has nothing to do with years.
As far as the Centerlink goes I dont remember if they are different because I used the one that came with the kit I got from Bob at Bobs Vintage truck, and tossed the 68 centerlink into the scrap pile without a thought, so sorry I cant help you on that one.

Last edited by Xeen; 01-30-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #119
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Ok heres the deal both inner and outter tie rod ends are different for disk brakes 71-72, also the Pitman Arm is different for power steering and it has nothing to do with years.
As far as the Centerlink goes I dont remember if they are different because I used the one that came with the kit I got from Bob at Bobs Vintage truck, and tossed the 68 centerlink into the scrap pile without a thought, so sorry I cant help you on that one.
I just reread what you said and what I said and what I said wasn't very helpful, I might as well have told you the sky was blue.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #120
twillie2460

Well I did not think about the fact that I have not motor,trans no front clip so it should make a difference on the clearence when all that is on. I did compare the lengths on the new and old pitman and idler arm to find no difference. So before I go to far with worring about this I will wait until I get more stuff on the frontend.
Xeen it did make me compare those parts though just to make sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #121
twillie2460

My axles have not made it in yet but I know that have been shipped. I did find or buy the othe rear brake parts that I needed to complet that part of the build. The good news is I now get to buy more parts for my truck as I almost got al the other parts installed. The Weld Draglites are kind of costly but I really want to stay the same as the front so some day soon I have to lay down more cash. So I will have the shifter in the T-56 done married to the 350 and put in the truck. I will be happy to see that point finished.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #122
twillie2460

It has been a month or two since I got to do much on my truck. Most of that is due to the fact that I have two jobs farmed out to other people to get done and now I am at kind of on their time schedule. One jobs was my rear axles to be plugged, re-drilled to 5 lug. I got a really good deal on this as far as the cost but really had no idea at this price on this would cost me this much time. The same goes for my T-56 trnasmission shifter relocation, via a Keisler Engineering Kit. I had a planned to have this done by now so I can had my drive train set in place to then be able to work on putting in the Painless Wiring Harness. I did tell these two people that I was no real hurry as this was a rebuild but I had no idea how long some will take when told this.
I will soon have to get in touch with this two people to ask if I must up the money to have this process moved along faster.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #123
twillie2460

I need anyone that can tell what the lenght of seat belt would work best in my truck. I am ording new sealt belts from www.seltbeltsplus.com and the first set I ordered was not way long enought to reach from the anchor point on the floor up thru a bench seat. They ask me what lenght I needed and I am not sure as my seat is not in place. But I am sure there are some of you that already know what lenght the button or clip side needs to be. I am getting the 3 point retractable and end with the release is 18 or 22 inch I would like to know if anyone can tell me for sure which one would work best. I can get it but it requires me to drag my seat down put it in the truck make the measurment and then put the seat back up until I am ready for it, so please feel free to chime in if you can help me out.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #124
67cheby
67cheby

nice work !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #125
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress! Keep up the hard work.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote