The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #101
ol Curt

Re: ol Curt Progress

A few more progress pics. I got the rocker raised on the passenger side. I'm getting ready to order some carpet, and am waiting(and waiting, and waiting) on my seat belts.
Steering wheel is done.
Put in patch for door hinge today. Haven't finished it off, as I want to try the door on tomorrow. I'm getting smarter...
Attached Images

Last edited by ol Curt; 09-26-2009 at 08:43 PM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #102
ol Curt

Now you see em, now you don't! I have been trying to go mostly factory and the truck did have these big honkers on it, but i decided since the factory holes were there for the smaller side mirrors, I am going to use them. Not sure if my theory is sound, but after welding the holes I put skim coat of short strand fiberglass over it to make sure any pinholes were filled and will finish off with body filler. I figured the fiberglass was nice and waterproof. I also was dying to use a tiny spatula I bought a while back!!
Attached Images

Last edited by ol Curt; 09-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #103
ol Curt

I assume I'll have to transfer the hole pattern for the smaller mirrors to the passenger side and weld nuts on the inside. It didn't have the factory holes and screws.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #104
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I use that same tiny spreader for tons of little projects. One of my favorite and handiest tools. It's also great for filling pin holes since you can see what you're working and apply only a tiny bit of filler.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #105
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Weld nuts would be nice if you can get in there to weld them. I'm just not sure you can reach up far enough with welding equipment to attach them permanently.

I simply used flange nuts. If you roll the window down an average size hand will reach up there. Just be careful not to lose your balance or you'd probably break your arm.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #106
ol Curt

Yeah I can see flange nuts working. The originals look like the hole is a little larger than it need to be on the outside of the door so it could have been welded from the outside.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #107
Byronic
The Beach Cruiser

Great thread. What color of duplicolor did you use, and did you clear coatt it after? I really like that color and am in the same process as you.
1967 Schwinn Tandem Single Speed
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #108
jason65
Registerd User

Lookin good Bob. Did your truck originaly have only a driver's mirror? Thats the way mine was. I used trick nuts to mount my passenger mirror on.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #109
ol Curt

It is their Truck and Van Arizona Beige. I didn't use a clear coat, but did buff some parts out. I found it at PepBoys, Advance, O'Reillys and NAPA. All seem to stock one can at a time. I bought two or three from different vendors the firs tday befor asking my NAPA dealer to order me 4 at one time!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #110
ol Curt

I'm looking at carpets as well. I found a supplier that makes a molded carpet for our trucks, and they prefer to send you samples...something you wouldn't get from our vendors who don't specialize. I ordered the samples tonight. They are about $10 cheaper than LMC and some of the others.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #111
SSWfleetside

Steering wheel looks good.
I like the Arizona biege too. In fact, that is what I used on my 6 lug rally wheels.
Your "Mater" mirrors look to be in really good shape. Thats what the kids call them on our truck.
They are factory mirrors, the option was called west coast jr mirror. Our truck is the same way with the standard mirror holes on the drivers door, but not the passenger side.
-Steve
SSWfleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #112
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
Lookin good Bob. Did your truck originaly have only a driver's mirror? Thats the way mine was. I used trick nuts to mount my passenger mirror on.
Well I 'd like to see your trick nuts, but that might be dangerous!I seriously don't know what they are...can you describe?

SSWfleetside, My sheet from the glove box shows the west coast mirrors, but I am wanting to spice it up a bit with some chrome, yet be stock. I intend to keep the mirrors in case I change my mind later.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #113
daverod
SSN 706

Dah

Last edited by daverod; 09-28-2009 at 10:11 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #114
daverod
SSN 706

I still haven't put my mirrior on mine. I have the one hole with a welded nut. I too would be intrested in seeing your trick nuts. Waiting in anticipation. That's a good looking puppy Curt. Why are you trying to tear his legs off?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #115
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I still haven't put my mirrior on mine. I have the one hole with a welded nut. I too would be intrested in seeing your trick nuts. Waiting in anticipation. That's a good looking puppy Curt. Why are you trying to tear his legs off?
That's Gus...he's not a baby anymore, but still yawns a lot. He does have some trick nuts though!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #116
daverod
SSN 706

Poor dog his legs dont even to work anymore. Looks happy though. My dog use to have trick nuts but now their at the dump. Going to get some mirrors on my truck today.

Last edited by daverod; 09-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #117
ol Curt

Going to get some mirrors on my truck today.

Cool!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #118
jason65
Registerd User

Here is an example.http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #119
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Those really are trick, thanks for sharing. Just like a molly bolt for sheetmetal.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #120
ol Curt

How much is the tool for installing them?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #121
jason65
Registerd User

I don't know. They got them on that website but no prices. We have one at work and I use it instead of buying one.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #122
ol Curt

Whoo hoo, I wanted to make sure both doors fit before moving on. I feel like the one on the passenger side(where I moved my rocker up) may need a little tweaking to make it fit right, but the driver side (where I broke a bolt and needed a patch pillar) fit up pretty good. I'm pretty happy with that.

Man,

I hope they get my carpet samples here soon so I can finish that part.
I'm considering ordering from these guys but am waiting on samples to decide the color. http://www.accmats.com/Products/Flooring/Material.aspx
Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #123
ol Curt

I took ol Curt for a ride around the block tonight. He said man, that felt good to get out and stretch my legs!

He might have felt good, but I was a wreck the whole time as I had no tail lights without the bed on. The PoPo here aren't very forgiving. I also felt i had a brake binding. I found it to be the drivers rear and adjusted it a bit. It spins freely now, but my parking brake doesn't work now. I looked at the service manual, but after a few minutes of that, decided I was going to ask if any if you had adjusted yours and how.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #124
ol Curt

Glad that pillar patch worked out for you. Just last week you were ready to sell that hunk of *&^% and take up knitting..

You are correct, thanks to you again! I have been remiss in breaking away from work at lunch to get a M.O. from the Post Office, but promise a 10 spot coming your way tomorrow!!

I also passed it along by giving someone else a deal on a part.
Man Law!!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #125
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
I took ol Curt for a ride around the block tonight. He said man, that felt good to get out and stretch my legs!

He might have felt good, but I was a wreck the whole time as I had no tail lights without the bed on. The PoPo here aren't very forgiving. I also felt i had a brake binding. I found it to be the drivers rear and adjusted it a bit. It spins freely now, but my parking brake doesn't work now. I looked at the service manual, but after a few minutes of that, decided I was going to ask if any if you had adjusted yours and how.
I thought I was the only one to drive around with no bed. All I had was the hand brake for about a week. I really got good at shifting with one hand and running the brake with the other. I don't know if I did much steering?