The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #101
lilpoindexter

Re: Classic Industries dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
You can also order a sewn dash cover from me. They are fairly easy to install and look good. I will be posting a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to repair your cracked dash and how to install my dash cover. I just need to finish it first. Also I can sew up your dash cover in any color vinyl you'd like and any stitching color you'd like also

They are $129 with FREE Shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch...any progress on your tutorial of installing your cover?
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #102
JAG66

What's the difference in the $189 dash pad and the $289 dash pad offered by Classic Industries? The description says the same. Are they both by Dashes Direct?
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #103
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
Stitch...any progress on your tutorial of installing your cover?
I haven't been able to finish it yet...I have all the pictures taken, I just need to finish putting the words with the pictures...I will be putting a tutorial together once I can get enough time...right now I'm still trying to catch up on all the orders I have gotten recently...thanks

Chuck.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #104
BigBlocksRule

It was asked before, but I didn't see an answer. I have an '85 with a badly cracked dash, the vinyl is curled on the edges of the cracks. What can be done to get this smoothed out before I install one of your dash covers, Stitch?

Last edited by BigBlocksRule; 03-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #105
Stitch
Account Suspended

There are a couple of different ways to do it...you'll first need to knock the curled up edges off or down the the original level of the dash or lower...then you can fill the dash with bondo, fiberglass, expanding foam, or closed cell foam...I think the expanding foam works really good...once the expanding foam has cured, take a hacksaw blade without the handle and cut the excess off flush with the dash...

once the dash holes and cracks have been filled and leveled out, you may need to put a layer or 1/8" closed cell foam on the top and block sand it to smooth it even further...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPaintsFlames View Post
.......snip, snip...
All that being said, you might as well just fix a cracked dash with a grinder. the home depot can foam and some paint.
Anyone actually tried this technique with any success?
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
There are a couple of different ways to do it...you'll first need to knock the curled up edges off or down the the original level of the dash or lower...then you can fill the dash with bondo, fiberglass, expanding foam, or closed cell foam...I think the expanding foam works really good...once the expanding foam has cured, take a hacksaw blade without the handle and cut the excess off flush with the dash...

once the dash holes and cracks have been filled and leveled out, you may need to put a layer or 1/8" closed cell foam on the top and block sand it to smooth it even further...
As soon as I get to this point, I am going to order a cover from you. It looks to be an economical way to go without sacrificing quality and appearance. I too, am awaiting your tutorial on dash repair/prep to install your cover. I have some paint and body experience, and I think this is something I could do. Other than my dash, the interior of my truck is in very good shape...The cracked dash kills it all.......

Thanks for your information and services!
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #108
Stitch
Account Suspended

No problem and thanks for the compliments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #109
ChaseDale3and8

Anybody try one of these that Cheyenne Pickup Parts sells? They are foam covered with vinyl. I was at a swap meet about 2 or 3 years back and a guy there had a really nice 87 short bed truck for sale. I started talking to him about it since he said it was an unrestored survivor truck from the Arizona desert. He told me that the only thing that he had to replace after he bought it was the dash pad since it had cracked over time like they all seem to do. I asked if he had replaced the original with a GM pad since it looked really nice and I couldn't tell at first that it had been replaced since it wasn't wavy or seem to have the problems normally associated with aftermarket pads.

He told me no, that it wasn't a GM piece, and that he had bought one of these from Cheyenne, and was very pleased with it. He told me that if I looked close at the speaker openings I would note that they were a diamond shape instead of square as original. Other than that, it looked factory. The truck was red, and the dash pad was in the original carmine color. I, like most everyone here, am willing to pay a little bit more for a better quality piece, and since these come in factory colors as well, I was just wondering if anybody here has bought and installed one of them yet? ....Joe

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000215a
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #110
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Anybody try one of these that Cheyenne Pickup Parts sells? They are foam covered with vinyl. I was at a swap meet about 2 or 3 years back and a guy there had a really nice 87 short bed truck for sale. I started talking to him about it since he said it was an unrestored survivor truck from the Arizona desert. He told me that the only thing that he had to replace after he bought it was the dash pad since it had cracked over time like they all seem to do. I asked if he had replaced the original with a GM pad since it looked really nice and I couldn't tell at first that it had been replaced since it wasn't wavy or seem to have the problems normally associated with aftermarket pads.

He told me no, that it wasn't a GM piece, and that he had bought one of these from Cheyenne, and was very pleased with it. He told me that if I looked close at the speaker openings I would note that they were a diamond shape instead of square as original. Other than that, it looked factory. The truck was red, and the dash pad was in the original carmine color. I, like most everyone here, am willing to pay a little bit more for a better quality piece, and since these come in factory colors as well, I was just wondering if anybody here has bought and installed one of them yet? ....Joe

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000215a
Just ordered one from cheyenne. Will post back with quality when I get it.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #111
TheApocalyptican

Either Cheyenne does a poor job of keeping stock, or they had a bunch of people buy dash pads recently, as they are backordered for like 2-3 weeks til they make more. Will post back then!

Last edited by TheApocalyptican; 06-12-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #112
TheApocalyptican

Just got my dash from Cheyenne Pickup Parts. It is NOT a vinyl over foam over metal dash. It is a vinyl over foam over plastic dash. While it is not as rigid as a stock metal dash, it isn't very flimsy. I took it out of the box as soon as UPS dropped it off, and due to having it riding in the UPS truck all day, I figure at worst it'll be as flimsy as when I first unboxed it, but never really worse. Definitely isn't a wet noodle like the urethane ones. I put it upside down on a recliner here in my house, and there way no sag to it.

Hasn't been installed just yet, but everything looks great. Really like how the gauge bezel fits into it without a gap like I have seen on some of the other aftermarket pads. We'll see if it stays gapless once installed tho.

Pics of the plastic underside:

This is the only thing I am not completely happy with fit wise:

I'll have more pics when installed. Lemme know if guys want any other specific pics of it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #113
Telecasterjoey

Apocalyptician have you installed the dash? I'm thinking about getting this dash depending on how it fits in your truck lol are you satisfied with it?
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #114
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecasterjoey View Post
Apocalyptician have you installed the dash? I'm thinking about getting this dash depending on how it fits in your truck lol are you satisfied with it?
Satisfied? Yes. Completely happy? No. From what I have seen of other reproduction dashes, this does seem to be the best. It is however not quite oem, and therefore not show quality.

Problems: Due to the plastic rather than metal, the dash seems to bulge slightly where the dash speakers are. The area around the passenger defrost vent isn't the same height all the way around. Most of it is correct, except for one area in the very front near the windshield is lower. The picture I posted before of how the a/c duct/trim fits is also a problem area. Speaker holes are a little rough. And last is a small area between the bezel, and the dash pad right next to the stereo and a/c controls.

Honestly, none of these problems are a deal breaker for me. I was also being extremely picky about the problem areas so that others no exactly what quality and fit they are getting with this pad.

Spot near stereo:

Speaker Holes:

Spots where dash bulges due to speakers:

Passenger Defrost Vent(not sure how well the problem can be seen in the pic):

Other pics:

Also, the two gauge bezel holes aren't drilled. Neither are the holes across the bottom where it bolts in, or the screw that goes into the passenger side of the dash. I left the passenger one out, and just screwed the others straight thru the parts of the dash where they belong.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #115
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

Those look nice but they dont have my color i need a saddle color or tan the closest is buckskin
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #116
TexasDmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris's66lwb View Post
Those look nice but they dont have my color i need a saddle color or tan the closest is buckskin
As far as I know Buckskin is tan. Saddle is the orangeish- brown color
TexasDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #117
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

ok there pic of the buck is brown i know buck skin gloves is tan
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #118
kp110477

What a dizzying array of opinions on dash pads! What have I gotten myself into? My Suburban (89) is one of those aforementioned 'Arizona Survivors' for the most part. What most of you are describing as cracked and beat up probably doesn't hold a candle to the powdery, crumbly, cracked, dried up mess that adorns my dash currently.

My question: What is the top of the line dash pad? How do you get an OEM dash pad? If you were to rank them (based on personal experience or research) how would you rank the dash pads?

Thanks
kp110477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #119
Stoney
Farm Truck

So who sells the best dash?

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #120
DesertBob

I ordered the Brothers dash July 13th. Was told it was back ordered and would ship end of July. Now they tell me it will be available Aug 12. Not the best customer communication. Only reason I purchased this one is that they stated that it used metal instead of plastic for the frame like the OEM one. If I ever get it I will post up some pictures.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #121
kp110477

Looking forward to the review!
Posted via Mobile Device
kp110477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #122
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
So who sells the best dash?
From everything that I have read, GM sells the best dash pad. Built exactly like the original, but available in only one color: black. Also it runs about $500, but I guess that is the price of OEM quality.

I'll just stick with my dyed and only slightly cracked OEM dash pad for now.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #123
JAG66

I'll tell you from experience, not what I've read on a forum.
The best fitting dash is GM. Period. It cost more at around $400-$500. Just bought one, was light gray, dyed it burgandy, installed new vents, fit is as good as can be expected. Very satisfied.
I've installed several coverlays. They are an excellent fit. I like to install mine with the dash out so I can apply clamps to it while the adhesive sets up. They snap on for a perfect fit, BUT when they get hot, always bows at the passenger side defrost vent.
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #124
Stoney
Farm Truck

That's what I kinda figured.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #125
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys