The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #101
scotts62
One day...

Re: Where are the stockers?

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #102
joe231

run Forrest....run
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #103
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
and the dream shots:
Hey factorystock, when can we expext delivery of these?
Still working on the time machine. I think this discussion is long overdue on what constitutes stock. Sure everybody has the freedom and to do with there vehicles what they want to do. Since this thread was about stockers, we have an obligation to try to get it right for historical purposes and for people new to the hobby to learn about how the trucks were really put togther the first time.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #104
LILRED66
Account Suspended

These are not mine...I hijacked them from eBay, but they are good examples of stockers.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #105
tractor1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern 85 View Post
LOVE the slots!!!!Thats my favorite old school wheel.Nice looking truck!I grew up with a black 63 long bed,a detuned LT-1,3 speed on the column,with widen steel wheels,we used it on the farm.

Last edited by tractor1963; 12-07-2008 at 10:17 PM.
tractor1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #106
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Still working on the time machine. I think this discussion is long overdue on what constitutes stock. Sure everybody has the freedom and to do with there vehicles what they want to do. Since this thread was about stockers, we have an obligation to try to get it right for historical purposes and for people new to the hobby to learn about how the trucks were really put togther the first time.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #107
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

lilred the white one, 3/4 ton? and is the black line around the grille support and fenders correct, or should it be like the others, white with black behind the grille on a white truck?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #108
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

The last pic above...the one with the shell...that's the type of shell I've been looking for ever....found one liek that off of a 61 Ford, but it was too narrow.

I thing an old-school aluminum shell....with some custom wife made RED curtains would be cool on my truck.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #109
factorystock

Because I dont like to critique trucks on the site, I would like to comment on the 4 previous ebay trucks shown (the blue, yellow, white and turquoise) which were "restored to all original" and offered for sale.It would be a good opportunity to state what is correct and not correct. I would say the turquoise is one of the closest "original authentic" restoration I have ever seen.The period shell and aux gas tanks doors were common add ons in the day.The blue and yellow trucks should have black wheels and painted hubcaps .Only tu-toned trucks had wheels painted body color. The blue and yellow trucks should have the area behind grill painted black. The white truck should not have a black stripe around grill.This stripe was always painted off-white regardless of body color. Mirrors were never chrome.The small standard mirror heads were painted black with the bracket stands body color. Large western mirrors are correct all white.Other than that, the are very good representations of stock 64-66 trucks.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #110
LILRED66
Account Suspended

factorystock:

I have referred to several factory/dealer issued reference pieces that do not agree with your assertion that only the tu-tone painted trucks had wheels painted the body color, in fact, they state that the wheels were painted the body color, in most cases, however they were painted black in some instances.

Additionally, the Jr. West Coast mirror, in chrome, are referenced in several of the historical pieces that I have and these mirrors where available in polished stainless steel...appeared to be chrome to the casual observer.

I agree, there are a number of exceptions to "true original/number 1 restorations with regards to the trucks posted, namely seat belts, paint-breaks, color combinations, etc, as you have pointed out above. Although there is not a demand or market for true Number 1 quality restorations of these trucks, I have co-op'd with a few restoration shops, in order to meet or exceed the factory/dealer specifications in quality, fit and finish and I have yet to see any truck that "points-out" at this level, either in person or online.

Thanks for your insight and I appreciate your input.

Last edited by LILRED66; 12-13-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #111
ol Curt

I'll have to say I really like all the ebay trucks shown and wouldn't kick any of them out of bed for eating crackers!
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #112
factorystock

Here is my documentation on wheel color from Chevrolet (63 shown) but same for 60-66. I would love to see your documentation LILRED66? Remember, we are talking about Chevrolet, not GMC. You might be confusing the cousin trucks which had different wheel colors and mirror options.(Ignor R 10 ) this was the corvair van.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #113
ol Curt

Factorystock,

I show the same in my restoration packet from GM, but I still like the trucks that were shown and would personally consider them as stock. 100% showroom restored...no, but all pretty darn nice! Each person has their own individual taste.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #114
ol Curt

I might also add while I don't have the propensity to build one factory stock I have an uncle who is inclined that way. He is a Mopar guy and has a great 69 Roadrunner. Any of you guys out there that have that special knack for doing them 100% stock, keep sharing those pics with us!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #115
LorenzoAIr

Hello All
Just found the site, great source of info. Here is pics of my new 60. I got it last summer at an auction, restoration was started and couldn't be finished (due to $$$). Bought it with fenders, grill, some other sheet metal, all the wood in bed and seat removed. All parts were in the bed (except the rotten wood,and rusted out bed rails) along with a new aftermarket fender, rocker panel, and fender extension. I patched up the old parts (crudely without bondo) hammered some dents, spotted with some flat black paint, and put back together with a new sheet of 3/4 plywood for the bed. Added the chrome rims and tires (garage sale specials!) and a new tie rod end and off she went.
Just recently I bought a 62 parts truck and salvaged the fuel tank sender, heater blower motor, emergency brake cable, back cab glass and a seat that was much better than the one I had. So all totaled up I have about $500 in this rig, I call her "Fairly Reliable" because she is and the door signs.
Today was the first day the temp here was above the minus range, but she fired right up so I drove it to work today (the jetski in back helps with traction, but not much) I still have a lot of little things to fix, but for right now it is all good.
Attached Images

LorenzoAIr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #116
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

nice looking truck! my 65 was a great falls native before I got it.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #117
ol Curt

Great looking truck. Welcome to the site. I wonder if I could convince my wife that if I bought a jetski to go int he back of my 2wd Silverado it would do better in the snow?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #118
71'tahoe

Heres my 65' 1 ton

Its all stock for now. I do want to upgrade to disc brakes front and rear. I want to swap in a 12v cummins and a 5 spd. I want to do the engine swap just to make it more driveable. It has the ole' 3 spd and with 5:12 gears in the rear,its just not driveable. I plan on swapping in a dana 60 out of a 68' GMC truck and run 4:10 gears. I want to put 19.5 steel wheels on it. I have thought about the aluminum wheels but Im afraid it will ruin the look im after. Hope you all like it.

Last edited by 71'tahoe; 12-21-2008 at 11:51 AM.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #119
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Here is my documentation on wheel color from Chevrolet (63 shown) but same for 60-66. I would love to see your documentation LILRED66? Remember, we are talking about Chevrolet, not GMC. You might be confusing the cousin trucks which had different wheel colors and mirror options.(Ignor R 10 ) this was the corvair van.
My interpretation of body colored wheels, is on the tu-tone paint jobs. I understand the solid color trucks had black wheels. In any case, I have seen so many trucks that have variations, I am not sure if there were any hard, fast rules.

Thanks for sharing this information...I had the same stuff you referenced.

With regards to the mirrors being chrome/stainless steel, I understand the Jr. West Coast mirrors, that were available as an R.P.O. had stainless frames and mirror heads, but the small oval mirror arms were painted body color and the round mirror heads were painted black, according to the literature I have.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #120
factorystock

I believe the problem is you are looking at non original vehicles. I too have seen many varations, but these were altered by the owners or dealers trying to please a finicky customer. I stand by all may statements. As to junior west coast 6x11 mirrors, they were always painted white on 60-66 pickups,(just like in the photos of the white and blue pickups above) never stainless and agian I would like to see any documention you say you have. Many aftermarket mirrors were added during this era and may be part your confusion. The 66 Chevy van and 67 Chevy pickups did have stainless 6x11 mirrors and brackets swing lock type ( different mounting arm brackets ), but never 60-66 pickups.These agian would be a later add on if seen on a 60-66 pickup. I would also add, these comments do not apply to GMC pickups, GMC pickups had different paint schemes and mirror options and can be addressed in a later thread.I offer all this information in this thread for the few who are interested in a period correct authentic factory restoration.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #121
LILRED66
Account Suspended

In the massive amount of information I have collected, specific to '60-'66 Chevy trucks, enough to fill five banker's boxes, I have seen numerous references to the mirror options available, most noteably The Silver Books and Chevrolet Truck Encyclopedia. I have a great deal of this literature on loan to a fellow doing a true "points" restoration of a '65 Chevy swb fleetside, well optioned truck. He is a Corvette restoration business that had a love for his '65.

In any case, I avoid locking horns with members, when it comes to what was factory and what was not...what was dealer option and what was not...what was an R.P.O. (Regular Production Option) and L.P.O. (Limited Production Option). As I previously stated, there were many R.P.O.'s installed at the dealer level, so it is rather difficult to determine exactly what was stock and what was not. One measuring stick I frequently use is, if I have ten 4-5-6 Chevy trucks in my lot and two or more of them have the same item (model, fit & finish), I consider that to be a pretty good indicator of what was available.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom about these trucks. I am on an ongoing/never-ending mission, to garner/gather as much information/literature, as possible about '60-'66 Chevy trucks.

PS-when posting, I never speak to the '60-'66 GMC's because I am not knowledgeable or experienced with them.

Last edited by LILRED66; 01-01-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 AM   #122
originalJD
James

She's not real pretty yet but she is all stock.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
originalJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #123
soasas

Hi Folks!

Thia is my first post here, and boy am I glad to have found you. I knew there was a cool forum out there for me and my 1963 C10, and I have finally found it. Woohoo!

I bought "Gomer" in march of this year. He is as straight as can be, and wonderfully original. I aint gonna say what I paid for him cause it was full price, and with the economy going sour, I am probably way upside down. But, I dont care. My best friend and I are partners on this project, and it is so much fun.

He is Gomer because I remember Gomer Pyle USMC from that era, and the brown color reminds me of Gomer;s dress uniform.

I will try to post a photo. That may beyond my technical ability,..

I have a couple of pressing questions.

1. This is to anyone but especially "Ol Curt". I see early in this thread your "before and after" photos of your engine bay. Please tell me where you got the correct green engine paint! I have my oil pan off now ,and would love to get the right color on it before re-installing.

2. The reason I have the pan off is that my 230 6 banger has a leaky rear main. I have the back bearing cap off, and would appreciate ANY insight on forcing that upper seal out.

Thanks fellows! Be talking to you down the road!
soasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #124
soasas

Meet Gomer (I hope)
Attached Images

soasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #125
TwoFiftyShifter

Short bed step? Rally's? I like Gomer!