The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's upper door seal idea!

Ok so we all have out pet peeves and one of mine is wind noise when I am driving my truck. So for some time now I have been looking into ways to quiet things down and I have found (like a lot of you have I'm sure) that with our truck doors set so they line up with the body correct they still don't seal the best. Most people say well it's just an old truck what do you expect! Well what I expect is to find a better way that works and is an easy fix. In the past I have gone in and re-worked the inner jambs of the doors to allow a better fit but it is still a gamble to get it just right by adding metal to the steps in the jam to put just enough psi in the right areas but not too much so it causes the doors to shut hard or the alignment to be pushed out. I have also tried different door seals from different years and models with some success but I think I finally got it!

I have been dealing with different rubber company's over the years for different builds and finally found some profiles that worked real well and are self adhered so install is a 10 minute job. So now the only wind noise I have is the slight sound as the wind travels over the vent windows.

So basically what I noticed is the main wind noise is coming from the wind hitting the front edge of the window jamb and the rear edge where the drip rail comes down. The wind hits these areas and is forced into the jamb were it blows past or into the door seal. I have also noticed on all the newer cars on the market they all have a double door seal. The main one goes all the way around the door like our trucks have but the second one is just around the window jamb area. So this got me looking into different ways to deal with this and here it is.

With just the right profile of seals I have installed one on the door and a different profile on the jamb so they seal up the gaps and add a second line of defense to help minimize or eliminate the wind noise in this area.

So my question to all of you is this something you would like to see in a simple kit with the right profiles and pre cut to do both doors? For the profiles and density of the seals I bought it was around $85 because when you buy it is small quantities the price is much more per foot. So what I am thinking about doing is contacting the manufacturer of this certain brand of seal and see if I can buy in bulk through my business license. I would hope to be able to get it down to about $65 per kit (enough for two doors) shipped.

I personally think it has a nice factory newer car look and at 75 mph it sure made things quiet and I have a lot of money in sound mat and zero rattles in my truck so it easy to hear the difference!

PayPal is set up and ready for ordering just click here or the link in my sig! Shipping is roughly 3 weeks from 11-18-09 for this batch of orders. $65 delivered for 2 truck doors.

Suburban link is in the bottom of my Sig.
$90 for burbs delivered and this will do both front doors and the 3rd door. Everything is pre-cut for each door.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 11-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote