The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #101
64C10Fleet

Re: Building My Grandfather's 64 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Thanks!

Your interior looks killer!
Thanks bro! Might need to do another coat on the dash before calling it done, got a few scratches from the jack-leg glass man that came by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Hope you get a bunch of drive time before you leave and thanks for your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl08 View Post
Exactly what Jeff says, good luck be safe!!!!
Thanks guys!! Sounds like it will all be a last minute thing now.

As usual, I picked the worst time to order parts... The Shades of the Past show in Pigeon Forge is holding me up now. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm gonna head home tomorrow morning and start prepping the garage to begin working on the truck Thursday morning. I'll bang out as much as I can between now and Sunday and then hope to take a trip up to Charlotte, NC Monday morning to pick up the rest of my parts.

Ordered more parts last night... A bunch of little stuff I forgot about; fasteners and gaskets. Got a little nervous about the hood hinges after reading a post here in the forum last night, so I ordered a new set (the hood is raising unevenly and doesn't seem to close as it should since bead blasting and painting). Also picked up one of those keyed stainless fuel fillers to mount in the bed floor.

Trying to finish up a few other projects before I head out, so looks like I'll have to put my oldest daughter on the AR build. I'm so glad she has taken an interest in firearms over the last year. When she's done with the AR, I'm gonna surprise her with the new stock I picked up for her Ruger 10/22.
64C10Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #102
64C10Fleet

B*tch session...

The caps I bought from Wheel Vintiques do not stay on the wheels and two are already scratched from mysteriously popping off while sitting in the driveway. I contacted Summit and was told there is no manufacturer's warranty and that Summit only warranties their products for 90 days after original sale. I was told to contact the manufacturer. This should be interesting, just sent the first email to Wheel Vintiques. Will post updates as received.

I'm already searching for original wheels and hubcaps, just found some reasonably priced in Charlotte, NC.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #103
64C10Fleet

Talked with Wheel Vintiques and they promised to make it right and replace the faulty hubcaps. I'll have my wife send them back this week.

A little update since my last post...

I finished up just about everything on the truck over the last few weeks. I still have a few minor issues to work out, but I did enough to take the truck out for a date with my old lady on Friday night and then a final cruise session on Saturday afternoon before leaving for Afghanistan.

We sprayed the bedliner and assembled the bed late last week. Here's a shot during assembly...

Name:  IMG_1163.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  52.5 KB

The bed came out really great, wish I had the chance to snap a shot of the final product!

I took a final ride around the neighborhood late Saturday afternoon after giving it a bath and took a few pics...

Name:  IMG_1166.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1167.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1169.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  65.0 KB

As we were bolting the trim on last week, we noticed one of the narrow pieces for the bed was broken at some point and about an inch short. I called up Tommy at Tommy's Pickup Parts in Shelby, NC as I was taking a ride up to grab the rest of my parts and he told me he had exactly what I needed. When I got there, he had a brand new, still in the package, GM original trim piece waiting for me.

My wife and I had dinner Friday night and finished up earlier than expected. We had a babysitter for the night and didn't want to go home, so we decided to take a little ride. She's addicted, didn't want to stop riding! Beautiful weather that night, so we rolled the windows down and drove down the back roads to Park Circle in North Charleston. When we got there, she wanted to keep going and we drove to downtown Charleston. After riding around downtown for a while, I managed to get the nerve to try our luck on the Interstate. We drove back from Charleston on I-26 for about 20 miles hitting 75mph and passing cars with the Powerglide pulling strong.

SOOOoooo... Here goes nothing. I think I'm gonna pick up a Weiand 144 series supercharger. I like the idea of keeping everything under the hood and I think I'll be happy with about 450hp. My block should hold up well the way it is, just need to swap the heads out. Thoughts!?

I'm definitely going to swap out the front drums for discs and install front and rear sway bars as soon as I return from overseas. Almost pulled the trigger and bought the stuff today.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #104
jcramsey

Glad to hear you had a successful date night out in the truck, thats awesome! Also good news that Wheel Vintiques is gonna take care of you, too. Great to hear what kind of company they are!

I took mine downtown last night to meet a couple friends for burgers before our Bible study. I love driving this thing!

My thoughts on a supercharger......do it! I'd love to put a little turbo on my 250 one of these days.

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #105
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Glad to hear you had a successful date night out in the truck, thats awesome! Also good news that Wheel Vintiques is gonna take care of you, too. Great to hear what kind of company they are!

I took mine downtown last night to meet a couple friends for burgers before our Bible study. I love driving this thing!

My thoughts on a supercharger......do it! I'd love to put a little turbo on my 250 one of these days.
I'm just trying to decide which super charger to buy now. Not sure if I'll go with the Weiand mini and just swap out my heads, or if I'll build another engine to handle the Procharger.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about front disc setup, too. I want to convert the front and keep the 6 lug. Don't really want to swap out control arms or lower it. Gonna do front and rear sway bars, too.
Posted via Mobile Device