The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #101
Mr.Hyde

Re: Mr. Hyde's Ride

Cool now the next problem is that 71-72 are either rare or going for 15k around here and nobody wants to part them out
Posted via Mobile Device

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #102
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
Cool now the next problem is that 71-72 are either rare or going for 15k around here and nobody wants to part them out
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have any idea how rare these trucks are in Canada, you may have no choice but to buy aftermarket parts for it, or find parts for sale on the board from the USA and have them shipped to Canada.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #103
Mr.Hyde

Ya chances are I will be getting the safety inspection done first and then doing more of the mechanical modifications I just want it to get on the road drive it any chance you can post some picture of your rear floor I will be making mine out of sheet metal and I need a bit of a reference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #104
Xeen

If you are talking about the rear floor of the cab you are better off buying the replacement patch panels for that since they are inexpensive.
P.S. I just read on another thread that you are a welder for a living, you should have said something, you don't need advice from me on metal work.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #105
Mr.Hyde

Haha it was more advice on the approach of which panels to do first I was looking for. I still appreciate any body work advice since I'm new to it that particular method of metal working. And I think the local shop is selling them for 50 a piece. My main concern is always am I structurally missing something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #106
Xeen

Before you start cutting out the rust on your cab measure to make sure your pillars are the same distance on both sides of the cab, measure from the top of the A-Pillar straight across to the B-Pillar and from the bottom of the A-Pillar straight across to the B-Pillar, Also measure diagonal from the A-Pillar on the RH side to the B-Pillar on the LH side, and vice versa, if the square is true then weld in some braces from pillar to pillar on each side and then across from side to side from brace to brace forward and rear so the pillars don't move while you do the repairs and when you are done it should still be square.
The cab was constructed in a specific way, there are several different layers of metal make sure you put it back together the way it came apart.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #107
Mr.Hyde

If I were to base everything off the cab mounts would that be adequate for square? If it helps I can get some pictures of the bad rust spots this weekend and that may Helprin give you a better idea of what I have structurally.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #108
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
If I were to base everything off the cab mounts would that be adequate for square? If it helps I can get some pictures of the bad rust spots this weekend and that may Helprin give you a better idea of what I have structurally.
No you have to measure from the points I indicated.
Ok I can't wait to see them.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #109
Mr.Hyde

I bought a 67-72 polyurethane body mount kit and there's a bit of an issue the radiator support mounts don't work with mine it shows in the mc catalog that the 67-68 is a series of washers now can anyone give me measurement on these washers and plates so I can just fab my own instead of waiting 3 months for them? And I decided I'm going to get a cherry picker to lift the cab I'm done breaking my back haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #110
Mr.Hyde

Ok so I think its time my thread takes a bit of a turn here, lately it has been pretty light on the entries and pictures so now that my cab is on the frame the work on the cab starts and i personally think after all the little patch panels and this and that entries it will be a nice change... i hope you guys enjoy the change of pace and feel free to comment and recommend anything.

Now lets start off where I left off. the cab floor brace are in place and essentially tacked into place i lined up all my mounts and place the cab on the frame today using a home made jig that I've seen on youtube. I don't take an credit for the idea but it worked amazingly for 10$ worth of wood. Basically it was the same idea of lifting under the rood with an engine hoist but i built the lifting jig so it would cradle the end of the hoist. heres what i mean..

After hooking up the lifting jig me and a helping hand slid the cab off the dolly and onto 4 jack stand there we were given enough height where we could lift the cab with the engine crane. I have no idea how this picture ended up upside down but you guys get the idea.

Took a total of 2 people to lift the cab this way and we managed to get it on accurately enough to seat it directly onto the cab mounts. Because im working in a single car garage i took a break from the truck to do song sorting and organize to get it to fit properly and give me enough space to work on either side. where or not i will be able to assemble the truck as a whole remains to be seen. I made the choice of using the frame to maintain square on the cab, frequently taking measurement to maintain my dimensions.

We fit the truck into the garage rather easily and I must say a very happy with having the cab on the frame whether or not it has to come off again. its a big step forward to getting this project ready for bondo and paint hopefully within this summer.

Now this is where i started to do my rocker panel. i have a tendency to look for my spot welds prior to removal of a part i have had some bad experiences with missing the odd one which end with a chisel, cutting disk or or a lot of swearing, also took a break for a cigar.

I started with the main spot welds and removing the majority of the rocker panel peeling it back and trimming it down to i can work around it.

After removing the outer rocker the inner fell off with one small cut.. not overly excited to see what else the cab has in store for me.

I in no way am advertising for colts cigars as delicious as they are, but the main thing in this picture is the cab corner floors i will have to end up making or buying some patch panels as the metal inside the rockers is rusted out as well.

Also both side have this same rust but thanks to Bruce and his "just a pick up" build thread I managed to find out how this is supposed to look and it puts me on a good path to either making a patch or installation when or if I can buy one.

That's all I have for now I'm hoping to keep going tomorrow after a run to the dump and to return the engine crane. The Girlfriend even wants to get involved with the project which I am totally ok with, she is an amazing artist and wants to do some pin striping and airbrushing on the glove box and door panels. Considering that I am going flat black I may have her design a speed shop logo to add some contrast to the whole build. Thanks for looking at my thread guys again hopefully you enjoy this new format and I still may introduce some videos.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #111
Mr.Hyde

i decided to sneak in before work today and take some pictures of whats going on with the cab and it seems like im going to need to do some work on the pillars so i went and picked up the patch panels today.

this is the drivers side foootwell panel apparently they only have the one drivers side so im going to attempt to fabricate the opposite side out of sheet metal.

this is the front pillar i believe you guys call this pillar A, this entire piece will be removed then replaced after i do the kick panels.

im thinking when i do pillar B i may trip away some of the cab corner so i can get at things easier. i will end up trimming this about 3 inches away from the edges of my cab corner patch panel then i can to my cab corners at the same time

also by doing the cab corner i can carry on with repairing the floor as you can see from this it isnt in the greatest shape. but with my outer floor/inner rocker patch it should be all that difficult.

Thats all i have for today im working 3pm-11pm so working durring the week is kind of tough, and im waiting on the kicker to come from toronto so it should be with this week so i can get to work this weekend. if you want i can walk you guys through how i make my patch panels. Now that the truck is in the garage it shoud be fairly easy to keep progress going, now i dont have to worry about weather conditions and worse comes to worse i work on the cab through the winter and hold off on pain and body work until next summer. feed back is always more then welcome thanks guys and have a good week!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #112
trac209

Just caught up on your progress,good to see your still at it. If you need any advice I'm still here. Maybe see you cruising it before too long.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #113
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice job on the rust repair. Keep up the hard work.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #114
Mr.Hyde

Hey guys I really appreciate the support I think I'm doing pretty good for a 23 year old haha. Well here's my update this week. I started working on fitting the patch panels and I'm having some fitting issues. but this week I'm on days so working 7am-3pm hopefully i will be able to get some more work in then just the weekend. But this weekend i start my week off at work and I know i will be getting a lot of work done on the truck. Also i have taken up a new hobby and we will get to that you will have to let me know what you think and keep in mind it is my first crack at it.

I started fitting up the floor and rockers everything is tacked into place and looking decent im using the door and fender as a trial fit up but im noticing some fitment issues with my rock and my door and fender but at the same time i feel it will be fine due to the fact the door is only really supported by the top hitch and the door latch so i have a feeling it will move back further and in more once the lower hinge is fit up.

I think i have also decided I will keep some nostalgic pieces aswell this Thrush sticked will stay I think its cool..

Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #115
Mr.Hyde

I Cant believe i left you guys hanging for almost a week! I have literally been working on the truck every day since I've been on holiday I have a ton of pictures to the point you might get sick of seeing them!..

First off i started fitting up the floor making sure it was straight before anything I have come to the conclusion that rivets and a hand sheet metal punch make this whole thing go incredibly faster

this is with everything riveted in place i was trying to get the door and everything perfect right off the hop. I will admit there is a tone of adjustment in the doors and fenders so i got everything fairly straight to start off then went from there.

Rock and door didnt line up at all it was about a 1/4 inch off and i wasnt having any of that but then realized the door isnt straight because the rust got so far in that it actuallly rotted away most of the bottom spot welds so it wasnt fitting right.

I prematurely cut off my cab corner.. I got a bit excited i guess or impatient and got ahead of myself i kind of regreted it at the time especially since the cab corner patch was made like crap and would not fit not to mention the body lined were half an inch off...

I saw this in my window and had to stop. I knew the previous owner had plans. i just had to go through with them i hate stickers and decals and that crap but this little guy stays.

I needed a break from body work for a day which now i kinda regret because i would have been out of gas a day ealier and could have worked right through to the weekend now im stuck with no welding gas and the place isnt open till monday..

end of the day after the cab being stripped of its interior i decided to work on my pinstriping some more. what do you guys think?

I encountered a bit of an issue i broke a hinge and could not for the life of me figure out what this pin would not come out well i figured it out when the pin hole snapped and had to go buy a passenger side hinge for my drivers side, with some modifications of course

ended of getting plenty done even though im out two days i fixed my outter door skin my inner door and it lines up with the rocker and DS fender only thing is the cab corner needs some massaging.

i still have a bit more welding left on the drivers side before i move onto the the passenger side and i have to wait till monday till i get more gas for my welder so im kinda on hold as of now.

heres more of the floor being fitted up in the rear getting ready for welding i figure im not too worried about warping because there will be carpet and a coating going on the floor and no one will know its there except me.

I ended up buying a newer 18g cab corner cause the one i got with the truck was garbage so i skipped the rought patch attempt a skipped right to doing it nice and proper

again im not too worried about the cab corner purely because it will be hidden by the bed so thought feelings advice let me know im always open and i have to admit its incredible how many people want to stop and look at what im upto people really have an appreciation for these truck long or short bed it seems like ive become the local car guy and this is only my first attempt at doing one of these projects well a 4 wheeled project the 69 honda cb750 never got this kind of attention talk about jumping in feet first ith a project. but at the same ive never felt so at peace and fufilled even the girlfriend will get her hand in on this designing the interior and that makes me even happier maybe for our next anniversary we will be cruising around in this cinderella story!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #116
trac209

Looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #117
Mr.Hyde

Thanks I'm hoping to get into the car shows and everything adventually just hanging out at our rockabilly event river city rumble seeing what's going on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #118
Mr.Hyde

hey,just got the motor home and was panning on taking plenty of pictures this weekend i was just wondering the motor and transmission mounts are they year and model specific or are they a universal thing i could get and napa or a local shop? maybe a similar model uses these mounts that are still available through generic retail stores?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #119
Mr.Hyde

Long time no see guys! Here's a quick update of whats going on sofar. I finally got my motor home and dropped in the frame for the time being, safest place i figure. and man is she pretty.

Now here comes the questions for the clutch plate and assembly i dont know what i have or if its wrong right or what! i took some pictures so you guys can see what is going on with that exactly.

Now there maybe a slight change of plans with this truck, I was going to go low down cruiser but now I was thinking of turning this into a welding truck, convert the front brake to disc, and put airbags in the rear to take up some of the load for the most part i will have around 1000 pounds of equipment on the truck and was wondering how much weight have you guys maxed out on with these trucks?

Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 10-28-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: picture size
Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #120
trac209

Well from the looks of the clutch assembly there's lots of rust that needs cleaned up. Flywheel could use a resurface to get rid of any pitting that could be there due to the rust. Looks like your making some good progress. As for the weight I would say 1000 pounds of equipment is not going to kill your truck with airbags and stuff but I'd recommend at least a 3/4 ton for that kind of work truck. That said it's not impossible to make it work for you,and it's a cool concept. Looking forward to more pictures.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #121
Mr.Hyde

Agreed this is something to keep me goin on weekend until I can afford said truck haha. And metal work is almost done then ill have to wait till spring to paint. But in the mean time there is mechanical and figuring out the bed cross members

Old 11-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #122
Mr.Hyde

i did some number crunching and it looks like id be around 1000 pounds for my equipment and thats counting for more tools then i plan on keeping on there im gonna give this a shot either way see what happens. regardless i need to finish the welding on the cab still i ran out of gas friday two weeks ago and had to wait to pay day so i will be finishing that today, and possibly get some grinding in on average its about +5 c so it seems to me its too cold for puddy and primer till spring time. So on that not i will be trying to take care of the mechanical in the colder weather, if i can afford this or not that remains to be seen.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #123
trac209

From the looks of your work area you're not in an insulated garage but with a good heater you can still spend some time in there more comfortable. Princess auto has some propane heaters that will keep you warm while doing stuff even in an older garage. I'm in a partially insulated space and I can be warm with a fan forced torpedo style heater. You still doing a disc brake front end swap?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #124
Mr.Hyde

Iunno if I can justify it drums apparently work just fine, I have more important things to do first like paint the cab comfy interior airbag system if I'm putting a big load on it. I know I don't have to worry about lowering it. So ill probably drive it before disc brakes then decide what modifications ill make

Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #125
Mr.Hyde

so I have been in the garage almost every day this winter -35 and all just doing the grunt work no one wants to do, and this point im just prepping the cab to be stripped and painted so for me that includes redoing the sealand sealing the floor finish grinding some weld and strip the paint off.

Now as it stand right now all the welding is for the most part done, motor is in and its just a matter of bolting on components. this is where it gets interesting because this is my first motor build and wouldnt mind some identification of where things go exactly, i will be refering to my service manual for lots of things but i dont know if year matter for the manifold?

So now i do have a few questions that i have used the search bar for! Im looking to do a rear gas tank instead of the in cab now this is a lwb what would fit in from a junk yard or a parts store to make life easier instead of 150 for a tank and another 150 for shipping it?

Also i found this green gear in the pile of parts and i have no idea where it is supposed to go so and help on that would be awesome aswell.

and are these the correct mounts for the rad cradle of a 68'? i thought it was a series of washers and a carriage bolt?

but other then that the winter is whats holding me up right now but until spring i will be trying to make a point to do prep on the cab and more of the mechanical. I did manage to get the fire wall and floor painted aswell aswell and the transmission and clutch installed, which leads to another question when the drive shaft is installed does anyone use the hanger bearing with the dust covers? if so how is that install taken care off? i cant seem to find any sources just about after market installs.