The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #101
swamp rat

Re: "Wrongside" - 1967 Right-hand Drive C10

Wow! lots of pic's on the floor work.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #102
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome progress Russ! You are tackling the rust head on, that is truly a monumental task. I've been there done that, I know how much time and effort it takes. It will be worth it when you're cruising down the road on the "wrong side". Keep the pictures coming
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #103
Russ.W.

Bit more progress. Unfortunately, due to the poor floor "work" from the previous owner, replacing metal is hard as there's no original pieces to follow. Fair bit of guess work in trying to figure what's correct.

Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #104
67chevy1series

Been following the build.. Doing awesome work! Major props to you trying to fix what Mother Nature and the PO did to the truck!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #105
swamp rat

Agreed with 67, keep at it!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #106
knomadd

Nice progress on the rust repair. Keep it up!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #107
Russ.W.

Bit of an update.

Excuse the crappy iPhone pics. Every time I stopped by the body-shop, I forgot to take my proper camera.

New cab floor is in. It fit surprisingly well, however, there were a few adjustments needed where it met the bottom of the firewall. That might be a reproduction thing, however, being my truck has a factory RHD firewall, maybe there were a few discrepancies compared to a factory LHD truck. The fitment issues were minor.

The rockers went in nice & clean. Though after fitting the doors, there is a glaring fitment issue. The doors have been hacked and (poorly) repaired at the bottom. With the new outer rockers, this is how the left door sits. Right side door is much better.

Footwell inserts fit perfectly.

Same can not be said for the rear cab corners. Good God are they not a perfect fit. These need to be cut, chopped and insert-filled half a dozen different ways to get the lines right. The back was OK, but the body-line to match the door was over an inch out.

For the knowledge-base, all these pieces were from LMC. Not sure if these pieces are made by multiple manufacturers or not.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #108
BigDaddyV

Keep kickin bud, your doing a great job and I'm sure it will be one sweet truck when you get done! And Merry Christmas!
1972 Chevy C10, Project "Chevro~Layed out" Nether Storm
Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post6007523
BigDaddyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #109
Russ.W.

Things are moving along nicely. The major cab repairs are in the last stages. Only a few smaller things remain.

From this:

To this:

Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #110
swamp rat

Nice work on that cowl section!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #111
88fordf150

Impressed. Nice metal work.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #112
JHT67

Nice job saving this truck, I'd say it was lucky to be RHD, and end up with you, otherwise it probably would've been left out to pasture.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #113
Aus69c20

It's been a while since you updated but I just had to subscribe. Saw your post on 'what did you do on your truck today' and found this thread. Good luck from a fellow Aussie
Posted via Mobile Device
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #114
Sicksty8

Sure is a unique build. Is awesome that you're saving such a cool truck. If like to ask where you ordered the floor pan from and what do you think of the quality of the product?
Sicksty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #115
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicksty8 View Post
Sure is a unique build. Is awesome that you're saving such a cool truck. If like to ask where you ordered the floor pan from and what do you think of the quality of the product?
Sorry mate. Only just say this.

The floor pan was from LMC Truck. Quality was ok, but it didn't line up with the bottom of the firewall to be spot-welded without needing to be welded to it first.

Don't have a decent photo, but you can see what I mean in this photo.

Haven't done much work on the truck lately but got out there today.

Bump stops in control arms.

Spent an hour the other week and failed. Tried today with a touch of Vaseline, took me 5 minutes.

Also got to use my new garage seat for the first time.

Have slightly changed direction with this build. I will no longer be rebuilding the 250, and instead will go the LS route.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #116
Possmguts

I'm not sure if anyone has told you this yet.. But your steering wheels is on the wrong side... hate to be the one to break that news to you...

You sure have your hands full on this build, but I'm glad you are willing to save such a unique truck.. I'm in for the ride... Now get busy!

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #117
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
You sure have your hands full on this build, but I'm glad you are willing to save such a unique truck.. I'm in for the ride... Now get busy!
Haha, thanks for checking the thread.

I'm trying. Being on the other side of the world to where all the spare parts are is a killer.

Waiting on repro doors to be shipped over. They've been sitting at the warehouse for nearly a month, and once they do get put into a container, it'll be 2 months after then before I see them.

I can't get the cab painted until the doors show up, as I want to ensure they fit and are gapped properly before committing to paint work.

I also need to replace the diff. I got mine pulled out and apart, and whilst the interior pieces were fine, the housing was toast. Much like everything that was under this truck, the leaf spring mounts/brackets were so rusted, they rusted into the housing and actually took some metal with it once removed. The walls are too thin and would snap on the first bit of enthusiastic driving.

So that's another thing I need to source from the US. Can buy new, but something that size still needs to come via water. Again, that's a few months waiting.

It'll happen, but at the moment, it's slow happenings. Also, the Australian dollar sucks right now so things are a might more expensive than a couple years back. I'm only spending money an necessities at the moment until that situation improves.

Here's the diff ...

Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #118
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the rust repair. Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I did mine. There were a few times when I had to just walk away from my shop......
Keep up the good work.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #119
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Haha, thanks for checking the thread

It'll happen, but at the moment, it's slow happenings. Also, the Australian dollar sucks right now so things are a might more expensive than a couple years back. I'm only spending money an necessities at the moment until that situation improves.

Here's the diff ...
Oh wow... that is bad... I guess in your case "The waiting is the hardest part"

She was pretty bad off... I really hope those repop doors are able to go on with minimal work, I know the repop doors often are more trouble than they're worth. I just replaced the bottom in one of my doors just to not have to go through the hassle of finding a good replacement.

I have a few friends that live over the pond. I watch vids of you guys doing burnouts in your massive power cars and trucks over there... you guys are crazy lol..... Just keep at it and someday it will be done.

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #120
TexasLS1

This build is awesome, love that you're saving this one. Your pics themselves are art - I can't look away, even when the photo is just a rusty,crusty bolt. Nice job all around.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #121
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work on the rust repair. Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I did mine. There were a few times when I had to just walk away from my shop......
Keep up the good work.
Cheers. It can definitely get to you. Though credit where credit is due, I'm only the guy paying the guy that's doing the rust repair. Still, with all the nasty surprises it keeps throwing at him (and my bank account), I wish I had a shop just so I could walk out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
Oh wow... that is bad... I guess in your case "The waiting is the hardest part"

She was pretty bad off... I really hope those repop doors are able to go on with minimal work, I know the repop doors often are more trouble than they're worth. I just replaced the bottom in one of my doors just to not have to go through the hassle of finding a good replacement.

I have a few friends that live over the pond. I watch vids of you guys doing burnouts in your massive power cars and trucks over there... you guys are crazy lol..... Just keep at it and someday it will be done.
The doors are manufactured by APEX, and marketed by Key-Parts, and are supposed to be the better of the bunch. I believe Tri-Plus doors are the ones with serious fitment issues.

I searched this forum for a while trying to get some info, and it lead me to GMC Paul. He did his research and will only sell the quality APEX doors. Unfortunately, Paul no longer takes non-US orders, however he was gracious enough to point me in the direction of Wes at Classic Heartbeat who also sold the same doors ... and he hooked me up.

Also, we do love burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
This build is awesome, love that you're saving this one. Your pics themselves are art - I can't look away, even when the photo is just a rusty,crusty bolt. Nice job all around.
Thank you. Especially the comment on the photos. I love taking them.

If only I could monetize taking photo's of rusty, crusty bolts.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #122
Aus69c20

Wow that diff looks as though its spent a few years in sea water. What are you planning to replace it with?
I hear you on the aussie dollar. There are a few things on my wish list that will have to wait until it improves.
Best of luck

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #123
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus69c20 View Post
Wow that diff looks as though its spent a few years in sea water. What are you planning to replace it with?
I hear you on the aussie dollar. There are a few things on my wish list that will have to wait until it improves.
Best of luck
I'll be getting another 12 bolt for it. I was thinking about getting a 9" made up locally, but I'd prefer to keep it GM. Local 12 bolts from HK/HG Holden's are available, but a different width, and I think narrower.

I'm trying to source a used housing somewhere from the US to keep it as cheap as I can, but even then, trying to find someone willing to help freight something of that size isn't that easy. They're big heavy awkward things.

I'll give it a couple weeks, and if nothing comes of it, I'll just bite the bullet and order a new one from Moser. Unfortunately I'm looking at $3k US, and that's without shipping, import taxes etc.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 AM   #124
'68 Newtricks

Are there any companies near me that would crate it and handle the shipping? If so, find something from CList local to me I'll grab it and drop it off at the shipper. There's got to be someone local to the docks that will handle shipping. Long Beach CA? Are you looking for a trailing arm axle, leaf axle, 6 lug or 5 lug axle?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #125
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Are there any companies near me that would crate it and handle the shipping? If so, find something from CList local to me I'll grab it and drop it off at the shipper. There's got to be someone local to the docks that will handle shipping. Long Beach CA? Are you looking for a trailing arm axle, leaf axle, 6 lug or 5 lug axle?

Truly appreciate that offer, however my importer ships from Kelso, Washington.

Bit of a hike from LA