The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #101
In The Ten Ring

Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky_smith View Post
I love the Pontiac!

I once tried to buy a '76 Catalina (it had a salvage title) but the owner was always gone when he and I had my an appointment to do the deal! He was driving it daily and the price was $200.00. This was in 1998 when I was an exterminator and living in an apartment. $200.00 seemed like a lot of money to me then.

In 2004 I drove my 1975 Pontiac Bonneville from WV to Niles, MI to see this girl. Then I stayed at the Holiday Express for a week, dating her, and running around in the '75. It was a lot of fun.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #102
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mongus View Post
I bought a '69 in Mississippi in the mid 90's. I drove it to Nebraska when I was stationed up there. The trip was great. I had to have the tranny rebuilt once I got it home because second gear had gone out during the trip.

Of course gas was half the price it is today, but I still think you should just jump in and go. That's what roadside assistance is for. If you don't have that, you can probably get it through your cell phone carrier. I have it through AT&T for about $2 per month. I call them and they coordinate a tow and everything.

Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt!
I have a friend that has roadside service through his cell carrier. But he's also the kind of guy that wouldn't know how to change a tire. I am not exaggerating.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #103
catch2otwo

Cool thread! I live in San Francisco. If you and your wife decide to do this trip, consider driving a few hours out here to the coast and go south from here.

If you do come this way, you and your wife are more then welcome to stay here for as long as you'd like free of charge. I have a garage with tools and a little know how if you end up needing a little fix up time. pm me if you want and I can shoot you my contact info.

We come across this type of thread alot in the motorcycling community. Theres no better way to get familiar with your machine then to drive it. We've met so many people from all across the country taking trips like this on old bikes, I only hope to get the opportunity some day. PM me! We'd love to have ya
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #104
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
Cool thread! I live in San Francisco. If you and your wife decide to do this trip, consider driving a few hours out here to the coast and go south from here.

If you do come this way, you and your wife are more then welcome to stay here for as long as you'd like free of charge. I have a garage with tools and a little know how if you end up needing a little fix up time. pm me if you want and I can shoot you my contact info.

We come across this type of thread alot in the motorcycling community. Theres no better way to get familiar with your machine then to drive it. We've met so many people from all across the country taking trips like this on old bikes, I only hope to get the opportunity some day. PM me! We'd love to have ya
thanks very much. appreciate the generosity! we are just working on our it itin this week.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #105
Average Joe

700r4 starts at 1300 at Summit. This will work well with 4.11's or 3.73's. A 3.07 ratio usually works better (behind a small block anyway) with a non overdrive tranny like a TH350 or TH400. If you decide to go either of these routes perhaps a Summit sales rep at the Sparks location could steer you toward a reputable shop for the install.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #106
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
700r4 starts at 1300 at Summit. This will work well with 4.11's or 3.73's. A 3.07 ratio usually works better (behind a small block anyway) with a non overdrive tranny like a TH350 or TH400. If you decide to go either of these routes perhaps a Summit sales rep at the Sparks location could steer you toward a reputable shop for the install.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU
i appreciate the info, not really knowing how all the gears would run, thats good info. i still dont know what tranny it has, but pretty sure its not a 700r4. i have contacted summit in reno. they asked what rear end was in it…i believe its a 12 bolt

soooo, without getting into a tranny swap for 2k the 307 might be the way to go. would those be luggy at all in that truck? i am assuming 3.73 would not make a huge difference from 4.11. anything in between 3.73 and 3.07 that might be ideal. gas isn't going to break the bank, its more the high revving for long periods. i wouldn't mind keeping it at or under 2500 at say 70mph. i will also likely put a bigger wheel on it (32"?) to fill out the wheel wells and raise it a touch. i believe it was dropped with 2.5 drop spindles etc.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #107
imjeff

Maybe run it as is, figure out what's good, what's bad, and decide after you get to know your new truck. I have 3:73s and don't mind them on the highway, but I'm not on the highway much. You may find after your trip that one component needs work. It would suck to put a new rear gear in it only to find out the tranny is shot after you get home. Just have fun and enjoy the trip!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #108
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Maybe run it as is, figure out what's good, what's bad, and decide after you get to know your new truck. I have 3:73s and don't mind them on the highway, but I'm not on the highway much. You may find after your trip that one component needs work. It would suck to put a new rear gear in it only to find out the tranny is shot after you get home. Just have fun and enjoy the trip!
you're right. too much thinking. guess I'm just excited to see it.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #109
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezmcnally View Post
i appreciate the info, not really knowing how all the gears would run, thats good info. i still dont know what tranny it has, but pretty sure its not a 700r4. i have contacted summit in reno. they asked what rear end was in it…i believe its a 12 bolt

soooo, without getting into a tranny swap for 2k the 307 might be the way to go. would those be luggy at all in that truck? i am assuming 3.73 would not make a huge difference from 4.11. anything in between 3.73 and 3.07 that might be ideal. gas isn't going to break the bank, its more the high revving for long periods. i wouldn't mind keeping it at or under 2500 at say 70mph. i will also likely put a bigger wheel on it (32"?) to fill out the wheel wells and raise it a touch. i believe it was dropped with 2.5 drop spindles etc.
I had a 71 gmc with a 250 6 cylinder, originally had 3.73's, swapped the rear to one with 3.07's. I originally had the same concern, since it was a 3ott that I would have to ride the cultch to get going. Turns out that it was not a problem at all..
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #110
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
I would drive it. I once took train to Ohio to pick up 63 impala with wife. 20k mile original she wanted to drive it . "Okay" I said. First toll booth she screams, brake pedal slapping to floor. I say go through! There were no cars. I run back to booth and pay. Now shes done driving. I go down to side street to find brake fluid. Off turnpike I run 7 miles to find a gas station. Talk them into selling me some. I run back 7 miles. (Thank god I am ironman triathlete, because that was 14 mile round trip.) I get back and fill up the master cylinder. It was good for 2 stops between fill ups. Two in the morning a very big deer takes us out and totals the car. Now my wife wont let drive one back so I ship from now on. We tell that story all the time

Sorry to be an ass, but I was not able to comprehend any of that as written.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #111
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezmcnally View Post
would you make the 1800 mile drive in a 68 c10?
By all means drive it. I drove my '54 about that far and swept a foot of snow off before I started it up.

I did that trip without the benefit of even one gauge working. Needless to say I stopped often to check oil and overheating but I had no problem. I kept the speed around 45-50 but I had no speedometer. I used my iPhone for time and the mile markers along the way to check how fast (or slow) I was going.

Fuel system is the weak link. Either take a few tools or buy some cheap ones along the way. Before you leave Reno I would check the fuel filter at the carburetor. If you don't have a new one just toss the old one before if stops you cold.

Then the flex line between the tank behind the seat and the steel line under the truck will collapse due to ethanol. If the truck is in use now that may have been replaced. Take a look under the truck and you'll see the flex line and the joint to the steel line. If the flex line makes a nice lazy bend it will be OK. But chances are it will have a collapsed spot at the midpoint of the bend.

A NAPA store will probably have a new flex line or you can use a small tubing cutter, a piece of hose, and a couple of clamps.

Another winter and a '67 truck but similar trip about 1200 miles. One tire had no tread whatsoever but I figured I could address that when it became an issue. About 800 miles into that trip a vibration got worse so I slowed a little more. After about 40 miles something left the truck and the vibration smoothed out. It was dark and cold so I kept going until a decent motel popped up.

The next morning I crawled under the truck an the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft was gone. I don't mean it was shot; it was gone so that's what I heard leave the the truck the night before. I assessed the situation and the smooth solid part of the shaft was spinning on the crossmember so there was no chance of shaft or crossmember wearing thin. The driveshaft was trapped by the U-shaped bearing housing so I drove it on home without incident.

Every time I needed to start from a dead stop the driveshaft hopped around for a bit but then settled in for an easy ride at 45 mph.

My wife considers these trips "Gale's adventures" so I go alone.

BTW I choose not to carry tools because you will usually need what you didn't bring. I just buy cheap stuff along the way and toss them when I get back to my garage.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #112
gale

I posted this before reading all the preceding posts.

I would not spend a lot of stuff such as gearing changes, etc. until you get your truck home and have a chance to look it over carefully. What little you save in gasoline will be forgotten a week later.

Spending a lot, carrying a bunch of tools, etc. is something like paying interest on trouble that may not come.

I've done numerous long trips in old trucks or on old motorcycles and I have my laptop, cell phone, and debit card. Armed with those three I can get towed from anywhere if I need to.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #113
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I won't tell you not to do it, i love road trips. Me and the wife drove out to LA last summer from TN. I highly recommend taking route 66, get on in Arizona and to OKC depends on what part of Arkansas you headed, (you need to get a guide book) the EZ66 Guide by Jerry McClanahan was the one we used for the whole Chicago to Los Angles trip. So much life off the interstates. Be proud of your wife i have one like that to she has a 67 project and not high maintenance and loves off the interstates trips. Enjoy the trip!

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #114
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
By all means drive it. I drove my '54 about that far and swept a foot of snow off before I started it up.

I did that trip without the benefit of even one gauge working. Needless to say I stopped often to check oil and overheating but I had no problem. I kept the speed around 45-50 but I had no speedometer. I used my iPhone for time and the mile markers along the way to check how fast (or slow) I was going.

Fuel system is the weak link. Either take a few tools or buy some cheap ones along the way. Before you leave Reno I would check the fuel filter at the carburetor. If you don't have a new one just toss the old one before if stops you cold.

Then the flex line between the tank behind the seat and the steel line under the truck will collapse due to ethanol. If the truck is in use now that may have been replaced. Take a look under the truck and you'll see the flex line and the joint to the steel line. If the flex line makes a nice lazy bend it will be OK. But chances are it will have a collapsed spot at the midpoint of the bend.

A NAPA store will probably have a new flex line or you can use a small tubing cutter, a piece of hose, and a couple of clamps.

Another winter and a '67 truck but similar trip about 1200 miles. One tire had no tread whatsoever but I figured I could address that when it became an issue. About 800 miles into that trip a vibration got worse so I slowed a little more. After about 40 miles something left the truck and the vibration smoothed out. It was dark and cold so I kept going until a decent motel popped up.

The next morning I crawled under the truck an the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft was gone. I don't mean it was shot; it was gone so that's what I heard leave the the truck the night before. I assessed the situation and the smooth solid part of the shaft was spinning on the crossmember so there was no chance of shaft or crossmember wearing thin. The driveshaft was trapped by the U-shaped bearing housing so I drove it on home without incident.

Every time I needed to start from a dead stop the driveshaft hopped around for a bit but then settled in for an easy ride at 45 mph.

My wife considers these trips "Gale's adventures" so I go alone.

BTW I choose not to carry tools because you will usually need what you didn't bring. I just buy cheap stuff along the way and toss them when I get back to my garage.
really great info on fuel line etc. thx!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #115
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I posted this before reading all the preceding posts.

I would not spend a lot of stuff such as gearing changes, etc. until you get your truck home and have a chance to look it over carefully. What little you save in gasoline will be forgotten a week later.

Spending a lot, carrying a bunch of tools, etc. is something like paying interest on trouble that may not come.

I've done numerous long trips in old trucks or on old motorcycles and I have my laptop, cell phone, and debit card. Armed with those three I can get towed from anywhere if I need to.
good points. I might revise the check list a little. I was thinking same. although I think gas cans, new gas filter water and duck tape are a must.
ordering aaa tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #116
gale

I forgot about the gas can. That was my first purchase when I saw I didn't have a gas gauge on the '54 truck.

I ran the truck dry and put my 2 gallons in the tank to get to a station. The plan was to figure out how many miles or hours I could go between stops.

When the flexible gas line started collapsing that changed because there wasn't enough pressure from weight of gasoline or suction from fuel pump to get past the crimped spot. My first temporary fix was to wrap the collapsed place with electrical tape to hold it to a round shape. I also kept the tank full to increase the weight of gasoline pushing through the hose. That got me by until Monday morning and a NAPA store popped up.

When I went to Indiana for the '67 C20 I took a Garmin GPS with me with the idea I could use it to locate the nearest NAPA, etc. It was in a backpack and I broke the display before I could use it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #117
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

April 14th is fast approaching and I'm looking forward to you blogging your trip. Are you gonna post on this thread or start a new one?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #118
thefraze_1020

Here's my $.02:

I'm a big fan of the back roads, and it kills me that I don't have the time to go on long road trips and see the back roads, and the small towns with the hardware stores with the wooden plank flooring, and the billboards that advertise the combine derby in August, and the trains in the distance and the old bridges and highways, old cars, trucks, tractors, etc.... (You get the point).

Long story short, only once in a rare moment do the stars align, and you have the money, the time, the desire, and the approval from your wife to do something like this. Embrace the opportunity and enjoy every second of it.

Also, I agree with the earlier comment about getting AAA, that will do you a lot of good. Besides roadside service, they send you maps and tourbooks for free and help plan your route. I also say, find yourself some old maps, look at the old roads, and compare them to now. Try to find the old roads because chances are they will go through the land time forgot, and in my opinion, that's fascinating. (Of course I'm biased, because I collect vintage maps).

Good luck!

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #119
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm waiting for this blog as well. I just wish that Sacramento area was on your route.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #120
jc06vmax

I'm in for the ride! Wear it out! I'll be following along.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #121
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
April 14th is fast approaching and I'm looking forward to you blogging your trip. Are you gonna post on this thread or start a new one?
thanks! what's best? it seems like I should start a new thread but keep title similar. that way no one has to scroll through 5 pages of the prep stuff. open to opinions
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #122
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefraze_1020 View Post
Here's my $.02:

I'm a big fan of the back roads, and it kills me that I don't have the time to go on long road trips and see the back roads, and the small towns with the hardware stores with the wooden plank flooring, and the billboards that advertise the combine derby in August, and the trains in the distance and the old bridges and highways, old cars, trucks, tractors, etc.... (You get the point).

Long story short, only once in a rare moment do the stars align, and you have the money, the time, the desire, and the approval from your wife to do something like this. Embrace the opportunity and enjoy every second of it.

Also, I agree with the earlier comment about getting AAA, that will do you a lot of good. Besides roadside service, they send you maps and tourbooks for free and help plan your route. I also say, find yourself some old maps, look at the old roads, and compare them to now. Try to find the old roads because chances are they will go through the land time forgot, and in my opinion, that's fascinating. (Of course I'm biased, because I collect vintage maps).

Good luck!
I actually got some stuff from my father in law who loves this kind of thing, is a history buff and gave me these. he grew up there so is quite the 'cliff claven' of Arizona. first one is from 1999 then 2006, and finally 2014
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #123
freezmcnally

thanks will do my best to blog on the way guys!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #124
davischevy

New thread title

Cross country…or Bust? "THE" trip.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #125
67 cst swb

Cross country…or Bust? THE trip.

I like it!
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote