The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Kim57

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Sorry about your truck. That really sucks.
55 is coming along nicely.
Kim
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim!

How's the back coming along?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 AM   #3
Nut Case

Danny

Tragic, is the only word I can think of, you hear stories about this sort of thing happening to someone else not you.

The build is looking great, it's coming right along.

Good Luck

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

Old 09-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Kim!

How's the back coming along?
A little better every day.
Hope the doctor lets me do more when I see him this week.
Kim
Old 09-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Daze57

Dan

So sorry about your truck -it looked like a big fun dependable ride -- lots of memories i am sure ! Is there anything you can get off it to use on the project ? kinda like a small rememberence momento ? may sound kinda funny but truck guys sometimes do stuff like that .
project is lookin really really good !!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
Dan

So sorry about your truck -it looked like a big fun dependable ride -- lots of memories i am sure !
So true. I loved her. She was a BIIG Biyatch. Could pull a house down, never let me down once. Rest in peace.

Quote:
Is there anything you can get off it to use on the project ? kinda like a small rememberence momento ? may sound kinda funny but truck guys sometimes do stuff like that .
Outstanding idea. Now you've got me thinking! The receiver hitch was one of those over & under double ones I used when I towed my boat on a 4ft. extension while carrying an 11-1/2ft Lance camper, so that won't work. I'm wondering if I can get the power front seats and modify them to remove the high backs? Damn, now this idea is gonna torture me. But at least you mentioned it before I talk to the insurance adjuster today, thanks!

Quote:
...project is lookin really really good !!!!
Thanks! Very excited to watch the fast progress.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-19-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

September 19, 2016
Took the inner fenders, rear leaf spring mounts, the transmission cover and the Flaming River steering column (I bought new-in-box from Craigslist 1-2 yrs ago) to the shop this afternoon.

No progress on finishing rearend mods as "Robby" called in sick. Robby looks like the big badass Indian guy in the "Fargo" movie (but is really a very nice guy) so I'm not questioning him, lol. He's supposed to be back tomorrow.

Mike & I discussed the tranny cover - it'll be cheaper to use the factory four speed cover w/hump than modify the brand new flat 3 speed cover I never installed. I also have the original but it is hacked up. To his credit he said he'd end up overcharging me for labor to modify one - again, I'm pleased. I'll pick one up from The Car & Truck Shop later this week.

He doesn't seem overly concerned about the column possibly being a bit too long. He says he'll simply pull it a little longer into the engine compartment and change the "angle-of-the-dangle."

We discussed the engine mounts. Without pics it's hard to explain but he buys flat plates already cut to shape which mount on the LS, then fabs the pieces that mount to frame. Sometime uses a tubular strut with surrounding rubber and sometimes a flat, biscuit type mount. He's not sure which will be best; stay tuned.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-19-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
47 Fasttoys

Dang Dan, I hate that your truck was wasted. Hard to imagine a simple little rat can cause that kind of destruction. I always hated the little bastards, now I hate them even more. Hopefully the insurance company will do you right and you can pick up a solid replacement.
Rob
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Dang Dan, I hate that your truck was wasted. Hard to imagine a simple little rat can cause that kind of destruction. I always hated the little bastards, now I hate them even more. Hopefully the insurance company will do you right and you can pick up a solid replacement.
Rob
Thanks Rob,
I'm seeing quite a few nice used 2500 crew cabs with relatively low miles upper 70-90k and some in low 100's. They seem to cost more with a short bed than the longbed so that may determine my final decision. Whatever it is, I won't buy it unless it's really nice. I don't polish turds!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

I hope you guys don't mind my asking an opinion about the loss of my dually? Moderators, if I shouldn't do this please delete this post.

I've searched eBay nationwide and only found ONE truck close to what mine was: A 2007.5 (when the body style changed to mine) w/20k more miles but otherwise almost identical (diff color and non-stock "simulators"). Asking is $39k+.

Kelly Blue Book estimates its value under "Private Party Value" (excellent condition) - hard to prove now but it was - at $38, 132. "Trade in Range" it says $35,278 - $39, 925.

Here's the question:
If a dealer could get a truck like mine w/so few miles(highly unlikely it seems), they got it by paying in these ranges, right? So isn't it correct to assume they would sell it for more to make a profit? So if I'm trying to replace my truck shouldn't my settlement amount be higher than these numbers (less the deductible of course)? Dealer isn't going to sell to me for NO profit. And all this doesn't address the extras, Linex bedliner, running boards, air bags, Magnum hitch, WeatherTech mats.

Opinion/experiences appreciated. - Dan

Old 10-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Dually Post Mortem

Back in post #1405 I showed that my beloved '08 Chevy Crew Dually 3500 4x4 died a tragic death by fire due to frickin rats nesting somewhere on the engine near turbo piping, I assume.

Monday, I went to the insurance auction yard to take a few things off the insurance isn't paying for. 4 brand new BFG All Terrains I put on in July survived and the stainless running boards. I didn't take the right tools to get the rear air bags or big enough tools to get the Magnum dual receiver tow bar. Oh well. Those tires are $200/ea. so I'll list them on Craigslist. They have maybe 600 miles on them tops! See if I get any bites. One of the plastic steps on the running boards melted so I'll order a replacement and polish them up. I took a front & rear "chrome" simulator to hang on the garage wall in homage to my beautiful, now gone beast. Pictures:

I'd kept two of the old tires when I put on the new ones & hadn't yet sold them. I had to leave rollers for the insurance company so I had a local shop R&R the tires and throw the old ones on. It felt like hitting a man when he's down. I'm a weirdo but it ACTUALLY bothered me to drive off and leave her. She was a great truck.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-05-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

On a happier note, this is her likely replacement:

I haven't seen it in person yet. It's 250 miles away near my stepson's house but he inspected it for me and said it's in like new condition. It's a 2014 with the same mileage; less 1200, as my dually had. But of course 6 years newer. It's a 2500 short bed, diesel Denali. I like the interior better than the black leather I had - too DAMN hot in summer. She's a little beauty queen compared to the work horse dually, but I don't need a dually anymore. Anyway, the insurance settlement is paying all but a small amount so I think I'll be pleased. Gonna try to get her this weekend. Thanks for listening to my stories, guys.

I've said before I think of you guys as "friends I haven't met yet." If we lived around the block from each other maybe we'd probably stop off to talk about each other's old trucks. At least I think we would.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-05-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's a great looking GMC, I call "shotgun"!!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
That's a great looking GMC, I call "shotgun"!!

Ha ha, you got it, JJ!

I want "shotgun" on your reborn Jimmy Cameo (or do were they called Suburbans?) if I ever see it. When you get it done maybe a looooong trip out to SoCal to the Brother's Show one summer?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #15
Kim57

When we had a car totaled in an accident (other persons fault so it was their insurance carrier) I didn't like what they offered so I found three cars like it on dealers lots and gave them those prices.
They averaged them and gave me that plus the sales tax added on top.
Kim
Old 09-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
When we had a car totaled in an accident (other persons fault so it was their insurance carrier) I didn't like what they offered so I found three cars like it on dealers lots and gave them those prices.
They averaged them and gave me that plus the sales tax added on top.
Kim
Excellent. Remember what insurance company? Mine is Mercury.

Problem for me is I don't think I CAN find three '08 crew dually LTZ's with under 50,000 miles. So then they start with their "formulas" and even though I don't want to be a cynic, that's where I suspect I may get screwed.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
Rude Dude

Dan my brother was there with his 40 Chevy
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Dan my brother was there with his 40 Chevy
His is a pretty car, Rudy. I wish I'd know, I'd have gone by and said hello.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
Kim57

Don't remember the guys company as it was a while ago.
I've had Mercury for years and found them pretty easy to deal with when needed.
But they are in it to make money so you need to fight for what ever you can get.
Kim
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

September 22, 2016

Photos of driver side motor mount fabrication. Mike explained he had to intentionally dip low to clear the steering column shaft. The frame side will get welded on today and he'll also fab the passenger side. I like that he chose to use the flat biscuit type mount. I'm a little concerned the mount looks thin. But then maybe I'm just noticing that he made it look graceful with the sweeping curved gusset plates instead of "blocky" & clunky like I would have done it. I'm sure it's plenty strong for bearing the weight of the engine but how about resisting the rotational forces of torque - it's an entirely stock LQ4 so I'm probably just being a Nervous Nellie. Opinions?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-22-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
MBrown

Dan, I am doing an LS engine in my '59 GMC, Where does your guy source those plates for bolting to the engine?

Thanks,
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
September 22, 2016

Photos of driver side motor mount fabrication. Mike explained he had to intentionally dip low to clear the steering column shaft. The frame side will get welded on today and he'll also fab the passenger side. I like that he chose to use the flat biscuit type mount. I'm a little concerned the mount looks thin. But then maybe I'm just noticing that he made it look graceful with the sweeping curved gusset plates instead of "blocky" & clunky like I would have done it. I'm sure it's plenty strong for bearing the weight of the engine but how about resisting the rotational forces of torque - it's an entirely stock LQ4 so I'm probably just being a Nervous Nellie. Opinions?

MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
MBrown

Dan,

Also curious as to what tank you used on your truck? There were a couple of different ones discussed, just wndered which one you ultimately went with? Also , is it mounted with straps or ...?
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #23
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
Dan, I am doing an LS engine in my '59 GMC, Where does your guy source those plates for bolting to the engine?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, I JUST texted Mike to ask where those plates were sourced. I suspect Summit, but I'll find out and post for sure when I get an answer. The gas tank was from Tanks, Inc.

Regarding mounting the tank, it's not finalized yet but pretty sure it'll be a direct bolt-in on the bottom flange of the frame.

Thanks for being interested in my project. I look forward to seeing/reading about yours. Best of luck with it, Dan

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-31-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #24
Kim57

Looks real nice and plenty strong.
Kim
Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim! Yours is a valued opinion with all the nice work you put into your truck.