The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
murd969

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Your build is looking good.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the kind words. It's hardly "my" build anymore. All I'm doing is calling the directions and dropping off cash!

I feel kinda sheepish with all the super talented fabricators on the forum. I THOUGHT I would do the same. But with mom going into hospice care and then passing in July I couldn't even mow my own lawn much less work on my truck. And I'd already broken it down. So it was spend the money or abandon the truck as a failed project.

Dropped off my 225/75x15 tires & Torq Thrusts for use as rollers. Also dropped off a new-in-box CPP frame mount non-power dual master cylinder kit I bought from Craigslist a couple years ago. Mike said the bracket will work. The MC is a "maybe" depending on bore size. It has a brand new CPP adjustable proportioning valve which means it was an MC for a disc/drum setup and that's not what I'm running. Mike ordered the Borgeson steering joints today. Hoping to finalize the steering by end of the week.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Kim57

Glad you didn't abandon it.
There's nothing wrong with having someone else doing the work for you.
Wish I could afford to have someone do my bodywork as I spend way too much time redoing things a pro could get done in a lot less time.
Kim
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Definitely not a carb.

I want the driveability, reliability and mileage fuel injection provides. Holley has an intake that mimics a conventional carb intake and that (I assume, would require me to use a throttle body) but I'd prefer individual injectors which is leading me toward Holley's mid rise sorta "snout" looking intake. I'm considering if I want to spend for having it polished? Somebody must have done that already but I've not seen a photo of one yet.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Definitely not a carb.

I want the driveability, reliability and mileage fuel injection provides. Holley has an intake that mimics a conventional carb intake and that (I assume, would require me to use a throttle body) but I'd prefer individual injectors which is leading me toward Holley's mid rise sorta "snout" looking intake. I'm considering if I want to spend for having it polished? Somebody must have done that already but I've not seen a photo of one yet.
Sounds good. I went with an EFI throttle body on a carb intake on an LS motor myself and I think it can be a good combo. I used the Edelbrock dual plane intake that you mentioned earlier and it has been running fine. However, wanted to make you aware that since then I have read in a couple places that the EFI throttle bodies actually perform better with a single plane intake.

For example: http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...e-plane.25871/

Now, this certainly isn't hard science and my dual plane intake has been running great! Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this opinion floating around out there before you make your choice.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Dan, it's still your truck with your vision!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Sounds good. I went with an EFI throttle body on a carb intake on an LS motor myself and I think it can be a good combo. I used the Edelbrock dual plane intake that you mentioned earlier and it has been running fine. However, wanted to make you aware that since then I have read in a couple places that the EFI throttle bodies actually perform better with a single plane intake.

For example: http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...e-plane.25871/

Now, this certainly isn't hard science and my dual plane intake has been running great! Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this opinion floating around out there before you make your choice.
Excellent information, thanks. Whew, it's a lot of reading. I've started but wasn't aware there was this opinon out there. I too have always heard dual plane was more appropriate for a street driven mild (in my case - stock) engines.

JJ, Thanks. I really do feel a bit sheepish about not doing the work myself but on the other hand I'm directing every bit of the work. It will be my vision, just not my labor - directly - that goes into it. A ma also surprised I EVER got to the place where I can afford to do this. Earlier in my life it would have been laughable for me to think of having someone else do this much work.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #8
Nut Case

Dan

You have paid your dues man, to be in a place where you can pay someone else to complete your dream.

Do it and do it your way. Stop and smell the roses man, your roses!!

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

:clap
Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Dan

You have paid your dues man, to be in a place where you can pay someone else to complete your dream.

Do it and do it your way. Stop and smell the roses man, your roses!!

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

:clap
VERY nice of you to say this. But then again, you're a self admitted "nutcase" I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
oldman3

So sad, hope you find another one soon...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Advanced Design

Hey Dan, the pics of your old truck are sad...and he potential new one looks really good.

Yeah, if we lived closer I think we all would be stopping by to check out the new ride.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Kim57

New truck looks like a great replacement.
Kim
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #13
Nut Case

Danny Boy

The truck replacement that you're getting looks fandamtastic.

Good on ya!!!!

I'm on the razors edge, sane or not? That is the question!

So I error on the side that leaves little doubt.

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #14
ptc

Dan - the new truck is a BEAUT!!!! --- I think you'll be much happier with that if you dont have a need for the brute truck anymore.

Hope to meet you sometime at the Brothers show or whenever, we are almost neighbors ... (as the crow flys!)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Stopped by this morning just because I was gonna pass the shop on my way to Orange County running an errand.

Suspension
The rear end is totally mocked up including my old Torq Thrust knockoffs mounted on it. You can see the lowering blocks but the C notch hasn't been installed yet. Also, the rear shock mounts may get a little work to better align the shocks and make them a bit more vertical. I'll see it again tomorrow and will post.

Steering
The Flaming River column I got cheap off Craigslist a couple years ago because it was damaged in shipping is installed. I called Flaming River and they sent out a new signal head surround for free!
The factory floor mount hole has been welded shut and the new polished stainless mount, well....mounted!
I like it, I like the column drop too. The clutch arm hole will be weld shut too. In the engine compartment, the Borgeson universal joint is mount on column shaft but rest of it will be completed possibly tomorrow. Mike will make a small mount that will weld to the frame boxing plate for the static universal. The U joint at the rack hasn't come in yet.

Exhaust Manifolds

The truck exhaust manifolds won't work with the steering but Mike has a Z06 Corvette in his shop he's putting an LS7 (427) in so the engine gave up its exhaust manifolds for my truck. Cool, cause they're not costing me. We discussed to what degree we should grind off the weld reinforcement? I'm gonna do it with a little die grinder. If I make them smooth, I run the risk of removing too much and they'll crack with heat cycling eventually - they're two ply, by the way. We decided I'll just grind off where the factory machines left "blobs" and then have them Jet Hot coated. They'll flow plenty well as the Z06 made 405hp and my motor won't.

PS
The steering column IS welded but it's just a mock up bar. He's got a box of them he uses then custom orders the right length. The exhaust manifold DOESNT touch the suspension but it looks like it in the photo. The driver side bottom shock mount is on backward. He knows.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Looking good Dan!!

Are you going to weld up the e-brake rod hole in the firewall?

FYI, I see you moved the rear frame cross-member to the back of the frame, by doing this you can use the tank for the 67-72 C-10s. CPP has a nice one that I'm thinking of using on my new frame.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
BIGglaSS

Replacement truck looks great! Nothing looks better than black.... Though I keep saying I'll never buy another black one.

Your 55 is coming along nicely. An alternative exhaust manifold that tucks nicely is the 2010+ Camaro manifolds if you run across a set. Versus smoothing out the ones that you have.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Replacement truck looks great! Nothing looks better than black.... Though I keep saying I'll never buy another black one.

Your 55 is coming along nicely. An alternative exhaust manifold that tucks nicely is the 2010+ Camaro manifolds if you run across a set. Versus smoothing out the ones that you have.
Thanks! Yes, black looks great and I also swore I'd never have another. You can almost SEE the dust settling on it as you're drying off the rinse water!

Nope, not looking for other manifolds cause they'll cost me. These will be fine. Are the Camaro manifolds NOT 2 ply like the Corvettes? I can't imagine they're that much different. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Mike has a something-or-other factory high performance option late model Camaro and of course he's supercharged it. Runs like a blue-assed ape! I'll ask him about his manifolds.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Kim57

They're making good progress.
Looks good.
Kim
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

October. 7, 2016

The Z06 exhaust manifolds modified for V band clamps. Mike says they're bulletproof and won't ever leak. Once they're ground smoother and Jet Hot coated they'll look better. I think they look like poor man's headers but I'm fine with them.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #21
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Wow, those fit nice! Can you remove the EGR tube??

Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Dan in Pasadena

Yes, is coming off. He just didnt get around to it today.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #23
Kim57

Fit real nice and don't look bad.
Kim
Old 10-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
BIGglaSS

Manifolds look great. You're right, at this point, I'd use what you got.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
Rude Dude

Everything is looking outstanding Dan, the fab guy really doing a good job. I really like the replacement truck too, looks like it can handle the camping needs just fine.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote