The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #126
ksshane

Re: What I can afford, when I can afford it... 70 Chevy LWB

Looking good. If you need another pair of hands some weekend give me a shout. Good reason for a road trip. Keep up the good work
Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #127
Low Elco

Stoked for ya! Hope it all goes well, My first nephew is coming about then.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #128
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksshane View Post
Looking good. If you need another pair of hands some weekend give me a shout. Good reason for a road trip. Keep up the good work
I appreciate the offer for help, I'll keep it in mind if I need some extra help, I usually keep some frosty cold one's on hand for just those types of situations...

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #129
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Stoked for ya! Hope it all goes well, My first nephew is coming about then.
Thanks so far so good! and congrats to you!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #130
KSWes

Trick or Treat!
Finally got a little color on the engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #131
KSWes

Some progress over the weekend. Doors back on, really glad we took the time to fit the doors on the cab and drilled holes in the hinges to mark the location before we shot paint. Was a quick job hanging them back on.

The engine paint set up beautifully, super glossy and hard as a rock. Used Eastwood ceramic engine paint, with optional hardener. Shot nicely out of a cheap harbor freight siphon paint gun. It's not in the truck yet and I can't speak to how well it will stand up over time, but ten times better than what I think I could have done with a rattle can. With hardener in it, it should be pretty durable.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #132
~Whitey~

man that looks fantastic. Been awhile since I checked out what you've been doing. Everything looks great and that engine is beautiful!!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #133
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post
man that looks fantastic. Been awhile since I checked out what you've been doing. Everything looks great and that engine is beautiful!!
Thanks Whitey! little by little I'll keep this project moving, weather getting cooler, getting darker earlier, and busy times at work is making me lazy. Gotta keep fighting the good fight. I'm shocked how well the engine came out. looks like it was dipped.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #134
Low Elco

Engine looks great!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #135
KSWes

Quote:
Engine looks great!
Thanks! Ready to see it setting in the frame.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #136
KSWes

Shifted gears this weekend and worked on getting the door guts switched out. I wanted to work on something that wasn't dirty and or greasy.

It was challenging, but I got the wing window rebuilt and the drivers side put back together and the latch installed. Still probably needs a little adjustment on the door catch but it's pretty cool to be able to close the door and latch it, and lock it...

Hoping the passenger door goes a little more quickly now that I have one under my belt.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #137
KSWes

Some parts painted over the weekend, been feeling pretty crappy lately so it's been eating into my motorvation. I've decided Black is going to be the inside accent color instead of the dark green that it was originally. New metal door panels from LMC.

Surpentine drive brackets, transmission crossmember, and brake booster brackets got a coat of black too.

And something for the wife. Old sewing machine stand going to be an end table or something eventually.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #138
Low Elco

Progress! Looks good!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #139
KSWes

Quote:
Progress! Looks good!
Thanks! Been a little distracted from the project lately. House stuff has crept back to the top of my priority list, thought I was done with it until the truck was done but somehow not the case. We needed a new roof before winter (luckily we were able to hire that because I'm no good with heights) and the house and garage needs painting and several other projects that can't be done when it's freezing outside. The good news my garage is heated so I can work on the truck once it's freezing.

The only progress to speak of is realizing that I had put a short water pump on before I painted the engine, and finding out that won't work with the serpentine set up I'm putting on. So had to go get me another pump, not the end of the world. I'm painting the house and garage this weekend, I'll post pictures of that, it'll be actual progress on a project, just not the truck...

Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #140
Low Elco

As long as somethin's gettin' done!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #141
KSWes

Over 3000 Sq. ft. 6 hours and 10 gallons of paint. Still have most of the trim to knock out. It's not the truck unfortunately. But I did get a lot of practice with gun technique.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #142
Low Elco

You're officially a better man than me-I HATE painting houses. Most important- is the Pregnant Lady happy?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #143
KSWes

Quote:
You're officially a better man than me-I HATE painting houses. Most important- is the Pregnant Lady happy?
"Check" Pregnant lady happy... And new gutters going up today, before the deluge of rain we have headed our way this week.

I had never painted a house before, rented a professional airless sprayer from home depot. It's the only way to fly.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #144
KSWes

I'm not sure I remember where I left off here. But I'll try to pick it back up, had a lot of house stuff I had to get taken care of and then the holidays and plus still on baby watch, The due date was Tuesday but she's still holding out, but anytime now. Thought I'd put up a few pictures to get my progress up to date.

Doors and windows reassembled, had some issues with the Window felts and such. I had some from GMC Pauls which were mfd. by precision they were good although I didn't do as good of job trimming them before installing them as I should of for a good fit. So I had to take them off and really there is no good way to take them off carefully with the windows in place so they got bent up. So since I had to reorder I did a little research on the forum looking for an even better fit and I found Steel Rubber's website and decided to order some felts/anti-rattle strips from them. And wow what a difference. Night and day they were pricey about 80 shipped but I think I'm going to be much happier with them in the long run. And made in the USA, they don't bind the windows up as much as the precision one's did. My truck has precision seals on everything else, so not trying to bash them because I'm happy with the rest, but the steel rubber felts are better.

Used the zink electroplating kit from Eastwood and got good results, but definitely use distilled water for rinsing, otherwise you'll get some discoloration and maybe even some rust.

Brake Booster and new steering column installed also new steering gear. Ended up going with the CPP direct fit steering column for our trucks, I know there are some mixed reviews, but I don't have 700 to invest in an iditit at the moment maybe if I don't like this one I can look at a better one in a few years when the majority of my funds aren't wrapped up in just trying to finish the build.

And last thing I'll post one of the projects that I completed in my break from the truck. Fenced in the back yard, it turned out awesome, and in the process I discovered some dirt bag had stolen our fire pit out of our yard, so I guess it was a good time for a fence.

If the baby comes this weekend the truck will be back on hold, but if not I'll have a couple more days to make progress, getting to more of the fun parts on the build. I have core support and bed cross braces at the powdercoater and bedsides and tailgate in the body shop. Engine an transmission about 80% ready to drop back in. Interior is moving slow too. Don't think I'm going to be done in time to take it to World Of Wheels unfortunately.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #145
KSWes

One step forward and a step back to take another step forward, E brake is back in and functioning. The cab I am using is a 68 so the pedal E brake is not a bolt in. With the firewall smooth and painted I had to do a little fabricating to make the pedal work and not crack up the filler in the firewall. I made this plate to reinforce and strengthen where the pedal assembly bolts up.

A couple of mods I had to do to the E brake assembly to get it to fit.

I had to trim the metal off the end of where the assembly bolts to the dash. And also use a carbide rasp bit to lengthen the slot the bolt goes through, not a terrible chore to switch it over though.

However, as I was bolting the assembly back in after I had done the mods and fab'd the reinforcement plate I twisted a bolt off so I had to drill out the bolts welded to the assembly and replace those with new. I am glad it broke on me during installation not while the truck was in use down the road.

After I got it all bolted in. I hit a snag getting the cable to pull out enough to reattach it to the pedal, but a couple of zip ties through the cable connector and one to the pedal and the ties actually were strong enough for me to pull out enough cable and get a set of vice grips on it to hold it so I could get the clevis pin back into it's home.

"All" the brakes work again.

Had a little more time left before I was ready to call it a night so I got the new sun visors bolted in.

Got the ignition switch, ash tray, and cigarette lighter put back in also.

If the baby still isn't here tomorrow I'm going to load my transmission up and head to the car wash to get it pressure washed so I can get it ready to paint and bolted back to the engine to prepare to drop it back in soon. Also need to drill holes in the doors and A pillars to install the wiring looms for between the cab and doors. and pull the wires in for the power locks. Then I'm ready for the wiring harness. I had been looking all over for a good one and after a lot of searching I've settled on one from American Autowire Power Plus 20 Kit comes with really good instructions and some of the switches. Getting it through Summit shaves some off the price and includes free shipping, ordering that this week.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #146
jmking9

Your truck is looking great! I LOVE that color combo, one of my favorites on these trucks.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #147
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Your truck is looking great! I LOVE that color combo, one of my favorites on these trucks.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I searched around a lot for colors before I settled on the stock paint code. I was really looking for something non-metallic in a similar green, but I couldn't find anything that I liked better than the medium olive poly the factory put on. I guess GM knew what they were doing with their color schemes. I like these trucks with more modern colors, but not as much as the original colors.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #148
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWes View Post
Thanks! I appreciate it. I searched around a lot for colors before I settled on the stock paint code. I was really looking for something non-metallic in a similar green, but I couldn't find anything that I liked better than the medium olive poly the factory put on. I guess GM knew what they were doing with their color schemes. I like these trucks with more modern colors, but not as much as the original colors.

You're exactly right. People thought I was crazy when I would tell them what color I was gonna paint mine. (Medium Gold Poly) I'd say most of those people who have seen it in person since I finished, don't think I'm crazy anymore.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #149
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
You're exactly right. People thought I was crazy when I would tell them what color I was gonna paint mine. (Medium Gold Poly) I'd say most of those people who have seen it in person since I finished, don't think I'm crazy anymore.
What I really like also are the true original paint trucks that are only found in CA, AZ and TX, like the Nacho Truck Delmo did and Crushing Gumby he's been working on. I so would have loved to have kept the original patina that mine had but there was really no way with all the rust. And if I'm going to go to the trouble to get rid of the rust and paint it, I want it to be shiny.

I really didn't even know what the true color would be until it got mixed at the paint store because every inch of the truck before I started painting was faded, rusted or discolored. I'm pleased it'll be looking mostly like it did when it was new back in 1970 when I'm done with it, with a hand full of modern updates o'coures. Today was the first day I've seen the truck in the sun with the new cab on this frame. (Really happy I went with metallic after seeing it in the sun) It makes the garage seem so much bigger with it out of there. Now I can get inner fenders and the transmission painted without worrying about over spray. Going to pick up a truck cover at LMC tomorrow don't really need anything happening to it before I get the engine and transmission ready to drop in. Then it'll be inside to stay until I finish wiring, interior and fuel tank, until I'm ready to paint fenders, tailgate, bedsides and hood, Hopefully by then It'll be moving around on it's own power again.

No baby today, Dr. visit tomorrow to likely figure out which day the doc wants to induce. Said he wouldn't let it go two weeks past the due date and we're a week over now. Hope all the KS, MO, and OK people were able to enjoy the nice weather this weekend I sure did!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #150
Low Elco

Glad you're still with us, Wes! Truck's lookin' good. Good luck with the birth, we will expect pics. (Awwwwww... Baby!) Both of mine were induced due to lateness, it'll be cool. Stoked for ya!