The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #126
70 Suburban
Rods

Re: 65 Old School Build on a Budget

hook up the rears

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #127
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
hook up the rears

Ummm yes hook them up....did you just leave the rear line open?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #128
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

There is a block in the rear line just before the rear t, waiting for parts to be here... So I was thinking its blocked... Would the rears affect the fronts, I thought that I would have plenty of braking even without rears...

i pulled the pads and they looked to be glazed over and the rotors were very shinnny...... I rubbed the pads with sandpaper and got a new surface and scuffed up the rotors a little...

I'm just confused because when I had just one front drum working, if I stood on it hard enough it would lock up..... I was wondering if the proportioning valve is getting in the way and I need to just bypass it, Keep the rears running through it.... ( as you can tell I am a novice so help would be great)

Also the master is from the el camino is a disc/drum.... wouild it not be strong enough without booster? Do I need to go with a 73-87 disc/drum no booster? Don't want a booster if I dont have to... Ma$be down the road.... Thanks again

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable

Last edited by Old School Kid; 05-11-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #129
MikeN

Taylor, I put front disc brakes on a 71 Nova years ago with no booster, and honestly I hated it. The car would stop, but you had to stand on the pedal with both feet.

I have heard that if you want non-power discs, the only good way to do it is with a master cylinder made for a non-boosted application, which would be pretty rare. I read somewhere that 66-67 Corvettes are a possible application for non-power-assisted disc brake master cyclinder, but the price on something like that might make it cheaper to use what you have and get a booster somewhere.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #130
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I concur with MikeN....my manual system works but you must stand on the pedal pretty hard.At the time I did it I didnt opt for power as I was buying a bunch of parts and the bill was adding up quickly.
I would wait 'til the rears are hooked up before messing with anything else.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #131
Old School Kid

Well I know all of you have been holding your breath waiting for the update/progress.

Brakes: Well after replacing both rear wheel cylinders and determining that there wasn’t enough play in the shortened brake push rod (had to trim 1/3” off). The brakes bleed great and she now stops. The brake wasn’t retracting far enough to get a full whack on the master cylinder. (Finding this out after hours of fighting with it and a new master). I was reading a post somewhere on the forum and the word free play jumped out at me… Bingo problem solved! She stops pretty well, someday it will have a booster!!!

Motor: Well, when assembling the motor, I insisted on using a noisy gear drive…. Wow noisy is spot on! After driving it a little and many people telling me, “UM, I think something’s wrong”. I pulled the non Pete Jackson cheapo gear drive out and put a chain style timing set back in. Wow! What a difference, it’s night and day… The motor runs great now.. I’m thinking that the gear drive was set up a little “tight” and might have been a tooth off. That would explain the minor performance issues..

Fuel Delivery: I started driving it on short trips, ran great for about 2 gallons or so, then it would act as though it would run out of gas… Top her off again and I was gone… After about the third time I said enough!! Pulled the sending unit in the original tank, full of rust and the pick-up had no screen and was clogged with rust chunks… I since have had the tank creamed and no problems since. (Anyone out there should cream or get a new tank, saves a lot of energy in the long run)

The first long trip was up to Ball Ground GA to visit our famous member Alan’s Classics.. Guys! The pictures don’t do it justice! His truck looks great, and he is an awesome guy in person too! While there I was able to watch he and Sdaily (69 c-10 4x4 frame off) install motor, trans and transfer case. (It’s going to be awesome Shannon!)Two great guys!! The trip when great old “bondo bob” ran fantastic! 195 degrees turning a little over 3 grand all the way there and back…

Now it’s time to start beating on it and fixing what breaks next!!!!
(Why else do I have it?)

Attached Images

My 65 (SOLD)
My 51 (SOLD)
Racetruck III (SOLD)

Last edited by Old School Kid; 06-17-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #132
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Congrats on the progress and I'm glad you made it home OK. You talked like you watched us (me and Shannon) you were a big help as well setting his motor thanks for the helping hand. Your truck looks really cool.

BTW thanks for the comments. I don't know so much about famous tho.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #133
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Taylor I think you're being a little modest about helping install my motor, tranny & x-case. I distinctly remember you jumping in and turning some wrenches as well. Remember, I have pictures.

Fellows this is just another reason why I love this board and its members. This was only the second time that I met Old School and he jumped right in helping with my install. I can't thank him or Alan's Classic enough for helping me get to this milestone with my build.

Poser shot of the finished install. (sorry for the hijack)

I'm glad to hear that you got the bugs worked out of "Bondo Bob". It sounded real good when you left out the other day as well. We'll have to get together again sometime soon. The PoBoys Car show, in Canton, is this Saturday by the way.

Last edited by sdailey; 06-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.
sdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #134
SeanPaintsFlames

I just read your build. Very nice. It's pretty much what I'm doing with my GMC, except for the v8. I'm stickin' to the old 230 and hot rodding it. Hey- what did you end up doing with the fleetside bed you had?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #135
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
Taylor I think you're being a little modest about helping install my motor, tranny & x-case. I distinctly remember you jumping in and turning some wrenches as well. Remember, I have pictures.

Fellows this is just another reason why I love this board and its members. This was only the second time that I met Old School and he jumped right in helping with my install. I can't thank him or Alan's Classic enough for helping me get to this milestone with my build.

Poser shot of the finished install. (sorry for the hijack)

I'm glad to hear that you got the bugs worked out of "Bondo Bob". It sounded real good when you left out the other day as well. We'll have to get together again sometime soon. The PoBoys Car show, in Canton, is this Saturday by the way.
Could you share some info on the clutch slave cylinder and bracket sdailey? Lookin' good btw....I have a '68 K20 I'm going to be putting together soon for a DD.

Sorry for the hijack Old School.....
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #136
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

PM sent CaptainFab.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #137
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Great pictures of 'Class-A' work! Wow.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #138
dreamtruckproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Could you share some info on the clutch slave cylinder and bracket sdailey? Lookin' good btw....I have a '68 K20 I'm going to be putting together soon for a DD.

Sorry for the hijack Old School.....
I was wondering the same thing. Is that the Novak conversion or something else. And are you using the SM420 or 465?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #139
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtruckproject View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Is that the Novak conversion or something else. And are you using the SM420 or 465?

It's the Novak kit and I'm running a sm465. FYI the cast bell housing will have to be machined a little. Below is a link for their kit and a link to my build showing the install. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_hcrc.htm

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=249287&page=7
Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #140
dreamtruckproject

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #141
dreamtruckproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Kid View Post
Well I know all of you have been holding your breath waiting for the update/progress.

Brakes: Well after replacing both rear wheel cylinders and determining that there wasn’t enough play in the shortened brake push rod (had to trim 1/3” off). The brakes bleed great and she now stops. The brake wasn’t retracting far enough to get a full whack on the master cylinder. (Finding this out after hours of fighting with it and a new master). I was reading a post somewhere on the forum and the word free play jumped out at me… Bingo problem solved! She stops pretty well, someday it will have a booster!!!

Motor: Well, when assembling the motor, I insisted on using a noisy gear drive…. Wow noisy is spot on! After driving it a little and many people telling me, “UM, I think something’s wrong”. I pulled the non Pete Jackson cheapo gear drive out and put a chain style timing set back in. Wow! What a difference, it’s night and day… The motor runs great now.. I’m thinking that the gear drive was set up a little “tight” and might have been a tooth off. That would explain the minor performance issues..

Fuel Delivery: I started driving it on short trips, ran great for about 2 gallons or so, then it would act as though it would run out of gas… Top her off again and I was gone… After about the third time I said enough!! Pulled the sending unit in the original tank, full of rust and the pick-up had no screen and was clogged with rust chunks… I since have had the tank creamed and no problems since. (Anyone out there should cream or get a new tank, saves a lot of energy in the long run)

The first long trip was up to Ball Ground GA to visit our famous member Alan’s Classics.. Guys! The pictures don’t do it justice! His truck looks great, and he is an awesome guy in person too! While there I was able to watch he and Sdaily (69 c-10 4x4 frame off) install motor, trans and transfer case. (It’s going to be awesome Shannon!)Two great guys!! The trip when great old “bondo bob” ran fantastic! 195 degrees turning a little over 3 grand all the way there and back…

Now it’s time to start beating on it and fixing what breaks next!!!!
(Why else do I have it?)

YouTube - 1965 Chevy Truck (old school kid)

I love the way the fleetside tailights look in the step fenders. Do you have any measurements on how you placed them and or pics of how they are mounted, I would love to do that with mine.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #142
stevedh76
Shlongbed #20

Welcome from Artesia, NM. Hope you enjoy the board as much as i do. Yes it is addicting!
-------------------------------------------
1999 Acura Integra LS
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
stevedh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #143
stevedh76
Shlongbed #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Taylor, there's a place over on South Cobb Drive called Metro Wheels that may be able to help. I bought some 15 X 7 and 15 X 8 reproduction Rally wheels from them for my Chevelle (see photo) and the prices were reasonable, like $57 per wheel. They can tell you if what you are looking for is available. They are on South Cobb between Atlanta Rd. and Austell Rd.

There's also a place about a 1/2 mile down South Cobb Drive from Metro Wheels that has a huge inventory of used wheels. The place is called Hubcap Annie. I have bought from them before as well.
Sweet Chevelle - actually my favorite car! Very nice!
-------------------------------------------
1999 Acura Integra LS
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
stevedh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #144
Old School Kid

Regarding the tailights, I saw another truck on here and copied the idea. Played around with placement then traced them and cut. I through bolted a some brackets on them to hold them in place, nothing to fancy.

I would much rather have the fleetside bed on, but its not as nice as the step. I have it in storage hoping someday it will go back on.. Sugar hill huh! just up there the other day... howdy neighbor!!!

My 65 (SOLD)
My 51 (SOLD)
Racetruck III (SOLD)

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #145
SeanPaintsFlames

Hey hey. I grew up in East Cobb, so right back atcha!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #146
MikeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedh76 View Post
Sweet Chevelle - actually my favorite car! Very nice!
Thanks for the kind words. I've owned it 11 years and have really enjoyed it.

Taylor, you truck is looking awesome. Nice work.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #147
Old School Kid

What was I thinking...... Sellers remorse has set in..

Put her on Craigslist and boom.... More money for the 51 kitty. Thank you for all your help. I will continue to watch, this is such a great place..... Thanks again.

My 65 (SOLD)
My 51 (SOLD)
Racetruck III (SOLD)

Old 12-13-2009, 02:31 AM   #148
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

awesome build
do you still have the gear drive
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #149
packrat42

Anymore updates on this?

...............................____
.................________-|___\____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|
Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #150
MikeN

See post #147...pretty sure Taylor sold this truck last year...