The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #126
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: My Truck

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #127
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

On second thought though I would love to snag that blue/white Custom C10 if it's in pretty good condition and running just to drive and use as a simple truck that I can take to some shows also. Do some juicing on the engine, small custom touches, etc.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #128
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Okay now, those drums look hideous. They almost make those wheels look bad! Get on painting those things!

Wheels look wicked though, when's the truck going to be lowered and how much?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #129
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dylan View Post
Okay now, those drums look hideous. They almost make those wheels look bad! Get on painting those things!

Wheels look wicked though, when's the truck going to be lowered and how much?
The wheels are just stacked in my studio right now. But I'm not going to worry about painting the drums until I put the wheels on permanently which will be after the truck is painted. But if I lower it anytime soon I'll just pull one or two leafs off the back and get some shorter springs for the front. I won't be going air bags or drop spindles. Nothing excessive just make the fenders sit a little past the top of the tire. But I probably won't lower it anytime soon.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-01-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #130
TwiggyTheDrummer

Parts and Updates!

I'll be ordering a brand new Holley 500 cfm Street carb by the end of this week for my 305 along with picking up the adapter from Napa. I primed the inside of the bed panels today so that they're ready to be taken and coated in the bed liner once we can get it into the booth. I've also finished the front fenders so that I can spray the jambs and put the front sheet metal on.

Also, it appears that my hood was at some point dropped while it sat at US Body's factory so that is quite depressing. I am honestly very unsatisfied so far especially since there was still wet puddy slapped around in various spots of the hood and a very crappy molding job. Hopefully they'll give me an $800 hood (or a refund) instead of this $100 defect that they've handed me.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #131
joe231

$800

that sucks!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #132
TwiggyTheDrummer

Exactly. They didn't even cut the rear of the hood where it butts up to the cowl correctly. It went back and forth in a wavering line which in total had about an inch from extreme to extreme.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #133
joe231

post up some pics
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #134
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thumbs down Hood Problems

Here's some pics of the damage, wet putty, and the crappy cut with a piece of tape lined down in a straight line showing how bad it is.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #135
Strodder
Daring to be Different

It's going to be a nice truck. That's too bad about the hood. I never trust fiberglass body parts. I made a lot of Baja Bugs, and they all fit sh*ty.. Will they give you back some money to make it right?
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #136
kyle4381

I have about 2000 dollars of body work in one of those $1000 hoods and it is still far from perfect. Fiberglass is not fun. Project looks good.
kyle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #137
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Wow that hood is really a POS. I've heard (mostly on here) that US Body doesn't make very good products, but that is rediculous! Especially for the price they charge. I'd really like a cowl hood someday, but it won't be from US Body!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #138
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
It's going to be a nice truck. That's too bad about the hood. I never trust fiberglass body parts. I made a lot of Baja Bugs, and they all fit sh*ty.. Will they give you back some money to make it right?
Thanks man. And I'm not sure yet. They better do something though, preferably just give me a new one. I just don't understand why you would put yourself and your company in line for such crappy products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4381 View Post
I have about 2000 dollars of body work in one of those $1000 hoods and it is still far from perfect. Fiberglass is not fun. Project looks good.
Thanks man. I'd have as much body work in a stock steel hood as I would have to put into this thing to make it even come close to being unnoticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Wow that hood is really a POS. I've heard (mostly on here) that US Body doesn't make very good products, but that is rediculous! Especially for the price they charge. I'd really like a cowl hood someday, but it won't be from US Body!
Definitely don't order one from them. Their services suck (obviously) and it took them six weeks to make it (and fix what they f'ed up) when they claimed it would be done in two weeks. I don't ever plan on buying from them again.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #139
TwiggyTheDrummer

Got in touch with U.S. Body.

I called in and talked to a tech at US Body today regarding the hood. His explanation on the matting and filler is that the mold comes in two pieces and that that is the only way that they have found that it works. I'm just going to have to have my buddy take it and make it look good. He also said that the mold is an older design and since there was no quality control originally in the factory, it's even more difficult to match the shape.

Basically, I will now be making this hood look as good as it possibly can through a good week of adding and subtracting and extreme fiberglass work. So that will put a nice hold on completing it early.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #140
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

man that sucks has anyone ever used up22
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #141
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
man that sucks has anyone ever used up22
That's the other company that I was looking at using. Since I could just drive, pick it up, and have it home in 4 hours; I just stuck with US Body.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #142
Chevyrod

Sorry to hear about the Hood!!!!! I've heard both good and bad about US BODY over the years . Sounds like they have a real QUALITY issue and are real $$$$$$. Thanks for the info, I will not buy any parts from them either. I was considering buying rear doors for my panel from them NOT NOW!!!!.
Chevyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #143
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

have you made any progress on the hood??
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #144
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
have you made any progress on the hood??
Not yet. I'm a high school student so I spend most of my day at school and don't get much time to do work but the weekends. I just picked up a gallon of fiberglass and hardener so I should start on it tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #145
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

yeah me too im a freshman
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #146
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thumbs down Re: My Truck

Quote:
yeah me too im a freshman
Man that sucks. Luckily I'm a senior but that just makes things difficult. You can't afford to be lazy and not get credits. I've never done as much school work in my life.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #147
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

yep four more years then off to college
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #148
TwiggyTheDrummer

Yeah I know the feeling. Less than 3 more months and I'll be filling out the paperwork and having to actually pay for school.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #149
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

where are you trying to get into
Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #150
TwiggyTheDrummer

I've got the Florida Pre-Paid College Program which requires two years at a community and 4 years at a Florida university. I'll go to a local community college for two years and probably transfer to FSU to finish up.