The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #126
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: Project Pancho Villa - 1978 SWB

Thanks everyone. I plan to pick back up next month (September) as it will start to cool down here. I'm still updating products and building a new website for my online business. It needs to be done and would rather do it when it's hot, so I can refocus on the build when things start to cool down a bit.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #127
JohnC

Hey glad to see you could take a break and at least pop in and say hi. Just giving you a hard time man. Can't wait for updates.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #128
bigbadjohn84

oh yea. that's what I am waiting on too. oh yea, that and money. lol keep on keepin on!
bigbadjohn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #129
menace121978

hey Bruthaman! how things going?? i wanted to get some feedback on the painless kit you got and see how your doing? i'm starting my cab now

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #130
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

All i can say is wow!!!! i just read this build thread and you are doin an amazing job on this truck!!! and 4 a great cause as well. this truck is going 2 b brand new when u are done wit it. I can't wait 2 c more pics and progress soon. Keep up tha good work and please more pics.....

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #131
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Woohoo, I'm back, in black (literally!). Thanks for all the great comments guys, really appreciate the great company here!

Dennis, we're doing the painless wiring right now. Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Taking everything real slow. What we're doing is, we'll wire up one thing at a time and check it. I'm using a battery charger (as instructed in the painless instructions) and hooking up the alternator wire to the positive. We've grounded the negative terminal to the engine and I have the negative of the battery charger hooked up to that.

The thing that threw us off initially, was the motor to body ground. Forgot about that one and nothing was working at first. Once we hooked that up, got it working!

So far, wipers are working and the horns are working. I wired up the stereo system today and plan to test it out tomorrow.

Man, so many things since my last post. Here's some pics of all that's going on:

Took the rod doors panels into a guy that I've used for upholstery in the past. This guy is awesome! I picked out some black "faux" leather material from the fabric shop. Looks/feels just like leather.

When I took them to him, he showed me some grey ostrich skin (faux) material he had and said it would look really good for contrast. We matched it up and wow, it's awesome! Have the door panels back now, with the base in the black faux leather and the trim pieces in the ostrich skin grey. A nice "Texas" look!

Here's a preview (not put together yet). Had the visors covered in same material:

Took the wheels off and had them powder coated. Had originally painted them the correct silver, but had a guy doing some powder coating for me and made me a deal on doing the wheels. Also powder coated the driver shaft (silver), the speaker mounts that BigBlock73 sells and a lot of other small parts...the brake pedal assembly, the gas pedal assembly, parking break assembly.

No pics on these yet, was supposed to have them today, last saturday, last friday, last wednesday, last saturday and, well, you get the idea. This has been going on for almost two months now, sigh.

New stainless brake lines from LMC in today. We'll be adding those in tomorrow, then bleeding the system.

Took rear calipers off and painted them. Duh! Thought they were painted when I received them and didn't take long for surface rust and I wasn't having that!

Glove box installed today. Picked up a chrome glove box door from a member here and it looks bad-to-the-bone in the black interior. It's shiny and reflective. Told Kent would be good for when (like that would ever happen) a hot chick in a mini-skirt was riding with me. Just look over and get a sneak peak! Yeah, perve, I know

Here's the ash tray. Don't smoke, but couldn't leave her lonely!

Steering column is in. Bought a new rebuilt one from gm tilt columns. Definitely a good buy! Billet specialties shifter and brushed aluminum turn signal/tilt/flasher knobs. Took the piece off where the ignition goes in and had it powder coated silver. Has a nice contrast. The steering wheel is a flamed billet with mahagony from Ebay. Really like the wheel!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #132
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

A few more...

New brake booster. Took it apart and had it powdercoated silver. Was a bear to get back together! Master cylinder is chromed, from Performance Online.

New Tach Dash, reset to 000000. Bought a new clear cover from LMC. Changed it out for an Overdrive parking indicator, since she has a 700r4 in her. She's ready to go in!

Batter charger we're using while testing the electrical. So far, everything has gone very smooth with the painless kit.

Doors are back. They need to be wet sanded. A little dusty, been sitting for about two months now. Should have the bed back shortly!

New gauge bezel, just waiting to cover up those gauges!

And finally, the "beast!" Had to get a shot of her. She's been lonely the past few months. We have ignition/key in and hooked up. Plan to start her back up this week while installing the wiring kit. Can't wait to hear her scream again!

If everything goes as planned, may have the carpet and buckets in later this week! It's getting closer!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #133
menace121978

wow! you saved the day since Bob just finished his gen III install. i need something to get me up in the mornings!! Your progress is amazing and everything looks great man.

just keep it up and dont forget the manditory evening updates!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #134
Mr.Chevy4x4

Really cool build thread! I look forward to following along!

I noticed you changed out the shift indicator in the new gauge cluster. Does the new steering column have the right shift detent plate for the 700r4? If not, it won't shift right. I learned this one the hard way.

Keep up the good work!

Mike
Mr.Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #135
OLDIRON69

Love the door panels and visors! Looks like a hell of a good job your doing!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #136
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Wow! That thing is looking good! Nice work.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #137
JohnC

Looks awesome man. Glad to finally see some updates. Keep them coming!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #138
menace121978

Brutha, i hope i didnt just forget but what a/c set up are you going with? and do you have any pics of the fire wall with the painless kit installed?

i'm smoothing my wall and wanted to see yours done and where your harness is coming out at. i'm still on the fence and trying to decide weather or not to get a vintage air kit or keep the stock box.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #139
JohnC

not to get off topic, but Dennis if you are wanting to shave the firewall go with a hidden a/c unit. If you are just wanting to make it clean and detailed like you have done with the frame, then I could see you doing some cool stuff with it still there.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #140
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Thanks Mike, Travis, OldIron and John! Good to be back in action and seeing all my old friends!

Dennis, I plan to use a Sanden 508 r134a unit with the stock system. Their pretty cheap on Ebay. I didn't want to go the shaved route because I knew it would necessitate a custom AC install. AC is an absolute must here in the nipple of Texas.

Their pretty cheap on Ebay. That's one of the things on my short list. Lots of things coming together real quick, so setting priorities for purchases right now till next month. I've yet to decide on the bracket I'm going to use. Most likely one from Billet Specialties if I don't find another.

What's weird is, I found all my other brackets in aluminum on Ebay with no problem. AC brackets seem to be more of a beast than the others and definitely more expensive!

Here's a pic of the Painless coming out of the firewall:

You do have to re-use your heater/ac harness from your original wiring harness with the painless. It doesn't come with the AC/Heater harness. We stripped out the old one. I cleaned it up today and rewrapped it (electrical tap) as it came from the factory.

I remember seeing a pic (probably here) of one, where an aluminum box was constructed to cover the wiring harness box. Had a real clean look to it. I'd definitely like to find something like that. I have some chrome wire look I plan to conceal any wiring I can't otherwise hide.

#########################

Guys, I need your help!

I need a 78-80 aluminum dash insert that's in good condition. See my thread here. If you have an extra one, know of someone that does (in good condition), or (gasp!) know of an NOS one, PLEASE let me know. Don't make me put an old crusty one back in. Having a hell of a time finding a good one!

#########################

Today's Update:

1) Stereo works! We spent days, a few months ago, wiring in the amp, the enclosed subwoofer, rear speakers, etc. I plugged everything up to the RetroSound deck today and connected the power wires, and she came to life instantly! Incredible sound! Still need to get the front speakers installed (JL Audio) once we get the carpet in, and mount them in the kick panels.

2) New brake lines from LMC came in last night. Bought the complete stainless kit. Everything hooked right up! Kind of hard to take picks under the truck, but here's the lines coming off the master cylinder:

Here's the chrome proportioning valve, from performance online:

3) Wheels are back from powder coating. They are currently adding manly ambient to our living room!

Should be able to get the tires mounted tomorrow.

4) Here's a pic of the steering column shaft. I took this apart and had it powder coated as well.

5) Windshield wiper arms are mounted and the delay wiper unit is working beautifully! Really glad I picked one of those up. No pic on this one, as it's really hard to see.

That's it for today. Will have more updates tomorrow. Things are moving fast now that my bud, Kent, is back giving me a hand.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #141
JohnC

Looking good man. The aluminum box you are talking about that covers the wire block on the firewall is on Jeff's, bigblock73, yellow 73 truck. He did some nice metal work on his firewall. Can't wait to see more updates man. It's coming along great.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #142
menace121978

thank you for the pics and response buddy!!

and thanks for your thoughts also John! i think i'll fill all the holes except the a/c and heater box ones and go from there.

its looking amazing bruthaman!! good luck finding the insert man... mines seen better days also.

Last edited by menace121978; 09-30-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #143
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Wade, you might be able to source an earlier one, sand the paint off, and polish it up. That would be a lot easier to find.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #144
silvereagle07

Nice progress. The truck is looking awesome!

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #145
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Looks awesome man, those are the style valve covers I want, but I haven't seen that air cleaner before where did you get it? Thanks
Tony
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #146
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Thanks everyone!

Waiting for the bed to come in right now. Painter finished up and should be here in the next hour or so.

JonBoy, thanks for the tip, had no considered that!

The air cleaner is from a vendor on Ebay (cowboyparts). Here's a direct link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLIS...=p4506.c0.m245

He may be the only one selling this particular version. There are others there, but most only have a few fins.

I'll have pics later today. Wow, can't believe this is all coming together!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #147
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

Looks great, I like the gauges they look brand new.great attention to detail.
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #148
begining87

what year is the instrument cluster? Where did you find the new Tach and Fuel gauge. i have seen the other gauges out here but not them. Great looking project. Attention to detail is the best.
begining87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #149
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Eric, good to see you bud! Hope you are doing well.

B87, the instrument cluster is from a 78 truck. It's not new, but we cleaned it up good and put a new lens on it. I picked up the fuel gauge maybe six months ago on Ebay. Was NOS in the box.

I had/have a 77 tach cluster, but I was apprehensive about the mechanical oil gauge and read there were electrical differences between 77 and below and 78 and up, so just stuck with the 78.

-----------------------------

What a day! I wanted to get the back of the cab cleaned up and a few coats of Zaino on it before the painter dropped off the bed this morning. Knew he was coming, so got up early. Re-buffed the back of the cab, then three coats of Zaino show car polish on it to protect it.

Bed came in around 11am. Rolled it off the trailer, four of us on each side, and lifted it onto the cab. We're all excited. Alas, a problem. Isn't there always *something* unexpected?

I have a four inch lowering kit (shackle/hanger) on the rear and the rear bed support rail (runs from one side of the bed to the other, at the back) would not clear the shackles. Oh yeah, that was a big WTF moment!

It wasn't the frame, but that rear cross member under the bed. Then, we realized we used the lower hole on the shackles, which was for a three inch drop and the top for a four inch drop. I wanted four inches (don't think I've ever heard any many say that before ).

So off with the bed again. We marked out the lines to cnotch the rear bed support member and my son (a proud Dad moment!) broke out the plasma cutter and cut them out.

Next we swapped out the shackle bolts to the top position.

Voila! Bed mounts!

Fresh new bed bolts hold the bed in place:

A pic from the side with the left rear tail light installed using the painless wiring kit. Haven't put the beauty rings on the wheels yet:

Windshield wipers are installed. These are the original ones off the truck. Was contemplating a set from Billet Specialties, but decided to polish these up for now. Work great, complete with delay wiper switch!

Gauge cluster installed today!

And finally, we got it wired up, so that we can start from the ignition switch. Key in, turn, crank, vrrrrmmmm! She fired right up after sitting for several months.

We had to do some troubleshooting on the the painless module because initially we had no power to the purple wire that goes to the starter. Kent ran some electrical checks and for whatever reason, the wire on the inside of the cab from the ignition pigtail to the main harness module was bad. He replaced it and everything worked fine after that.

In between the 2-5 trips to O'Reilly's Auto Parts every day for the little misc stuff, we're making some good progress!

More tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your support, tips and advice! The light at the end of the tunnel gets bigger every day!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #150
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

looking really good
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote