The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #126
ixnay

Re: My Oldest Sons Frankentruck Project

Extra eyes on the thing? You mean there's someone in your neighborhood that is not yet drooling over the rig?

Beautiful craftsmanship, just beautiful.

Meanwhile, back to work for me.

Mark
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #127
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
Extra eyes on the thing? You mean there's someone in your neighborhood that is not yet drooling over the rig?

Beautiful craftsmanship, just beautiful.

Meanwhile, back to work for me.

Mark
ixnay,
I just plugged the battery in and here starts the electrical problems. The right hand turn signal is working but the left isnt. All the running lites are working and even the flashers are all working but the left hand turn signal isnt working. Im guessing a problem with either the turn signal mechanism or maybe even the lite switch. If you giggle the lite switch when the lites are on the will turn off and then come one intermittently. So when we finish lunch we are going to go replace the lite switch and see if that makes any difference.
JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #128
Redneck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
ixnay,
I just plugged the battery in and here starts the electrical problems. The right hand turn signal is working but the left isnt. All the running lites are working and even the flashers are all working but the left hand turn signal isnt working. Im guessing a problem with either the turn signal mechanism or maybe even the lite switch. If you giggle the lite switch when the lites are on the will turn off and then come one intermittently. So when we finish lunch we are going to go replace the lite switch and see if that makes any difference.
JRBECK64
Don't rule out a bad bulb. Even if it is brand new. Fix the switch for sure something isn't quite right there. Not to sound rude but did you try switching bulbs from the right side signal to see if it works in the left. No sense in beating your head against the wall if it turns out to be the bulb. I recently was having issues with the brake lights on my 79Suzuki Motorcycle. Found out I had two bad bulbs before I got it working.
Redneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #129
VA72C10
VA72C10

also check to make sure the grounds are good and not covered in paint. A bad or questionable ground might cause those issues....bulbs first and then grounds are where I'd check...and then the switch as you mentioned. Hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #130
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
also check to make sure the grounds are good and not covered in paint. A bad or questionable ground might cause those issues....bulbs first and then grounds are where I'd check...and then the switch as you mentioned. Hope you get it figured out soon.
VA72C10,
You hit the nail on the head. It was a bad ground on the front right Turn Signal that was causing all the problems. I grounded the Lite Assembly and everything is working 100%.

JRBECK64
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #131
JRBECK64

Well She is broken in Started and Running Great. Sorry for the poor Sound quality. Here is a few clips.

We figured out soon after the backfires we needed to advance the timing to get it running right. It ran like a clock as soon as we advanced it. This thing sounds like an airplane in the Videos but I will try to get better video sound quality.

JRBECK64

Cant seem to get the YouTube videos to upload so here is how to search for the videos. Go to You Tube and under the search type in "Becking Boys 1969 Chevy Pick-Up" and there you should be able to watch the videos.

Last edited by JRBECK64; 08-05-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #132
VA72C10
VA72C10

Congrats!!!!

gotta put [/URL] (the link button) instead of the img button for those videos to work

Last edited by VA72C10; 08-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #133
VA72C10
VA72C10

the other two...in proper order now I think

Last edited by VA72C10; 08-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #134
JRBECK64

VA72C10,
Thanks for posting the Clips for me. I told someone else in here I am technically Challenged. This thing is running great its pretty loud with the single muffler with the Y Pipe setup. Now all I have to do is get my Wife to Buy into spending another $500 on a new Exhaust System. I am going to fine tune the Timing Tomorrow and do the initial Brake In Oil change. I have a couple of leakes I need to figure out. Looks like its leaking from the front of the Oil Pan. I probably should have had the guy use one of those one piece oil pan gaskets. Anyway its all about fine tuning now. Thanks again for posting the Videos.

JRBECK64
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #135
JRBECK64

Here Is another one to add to it.

Last edited by JRBECK64; 08-05-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #136
Redneck72

Man that is so awesome. The boys looked like they were stoked. It sounds great. That was cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #137
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck72 View Post
Man that is so awesome. The boys looked like they were stoked. It sounds great. That was cool. Thanks for sharing.
Redneck72,
Your Welcome. Now we are having to take off the Heater Core because its raining Anti Freeze under the truck. You know I told myself to buy a new one because it was worth the $80 not to have to pull the old one off if it leaked. Well Its leaking and now we are going to have to pull the Heater Box off and replace it with a new one. Im going to chalk this one up to experience and not make that mistake again.

JRBECK64
Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #138
VA72C10
VA72C10

sorry to hear that. but I've heard of people putting new ones in that were faulty too so don't kick yourself

Check your floor pans inside....Depends on how it failed...I don't think it does it in these trucks but in my 80Z28 when it failed it got the passenger floor pan SOAKED....so I had to use a wet vac to pull it out of the padding. Figure better be safe than sorry...
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #139
JRBECK64

Quote:
sorry to hear that. but I've heard of people putting new ones in that were faulty too so don't kick yourself

Check your floor pans inside....Depends on how it failed...I don't think it does it in these trucks but in my 80Z28 when it failed it got the passenger floor pan SOAKED....so I had to use a wet vac to pull it out of the padding. Figure better be safe than sorry...
VA72C10,
I told my Son that very thing, I checked it already (ALL EXTERIOR LEAK) but thanks for the heads up. A friend of mine had his 65 GTO hardtop on the Dyno at about 5000 RPM when his Heater Core poped and its just like you said it soaked the entire passenger side floor pan carpet and Jute Padding. He opted for a new carpet kit. Did you get the smell of AntiFreeze out of the carpet even after you wet vac'ed it?

Last edited by JRBECK64; 08-06-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #140
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glad it was all outside. Yes, the smell eventually wore off with a lot of air fresheners
Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #141
JRBECK64

Quote:
Glad it was all outside. Yes, the smell eventually wore off with a lot of air fresheners
Did you have a Pine Forest hanging from your Rear View Mirror???LOL

JRBECK64
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #142
memo67

Looks like it coming together beautifully
memo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #143
Redneck72

Total bummer Man.... Glad to hear it is all outside. I had the same thing happen on a 86 Silverado...but it was inside....thank goodness I had no carpet installed but it still made quite a mess. Not to mention it was a PITA to remove from the 86. I think I am going to move to Oregon and have JR adopt me...lol.

Last edited by Redneck72; 08-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #144
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck72 View Post
Total bummer Man.... Glad to hear it is all outside. I had the same thing happen on a 86 Silverado...but it was inside....thank goodness I had no carpet installed but it still made quite a mess. Not to mention it was a PITA to remove from the 86. I think I am going to move to Oregon and have JR adopt me...lol.
I CANT AFFORD MORE KIDS!!!!lol My Wife asked me what I will do if one of my Grand Kids wants a old car or truck restored. It got real quiet. If they invest their time and effort I would do one for them. Glad my oldest Grand Daughter is only 2 years old. That gives me time to recover from these.

JRBECK64
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #145
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo67 View Post
Looks like it coming together beautifully
Thanks,
Looks like your right next door. Do you have one of these old trucks?
JRBECK64
Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #146
ixnay

Smile Re: My Oldest Sons Frankentruck Project

Quote:
VA72C10,
Now all I have to do is get my Wife to Buy into spending another $500 on a new Exhaust System.

JRBECK64
Here's your reason: Or. Rev. Stat. 815.025 Causing unreasonable noise with vehicle; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of causing unreasonable noise with a vehicle if the person operates upon any highway any motor vehicle so as to cause any greater noise or sound than is reasonably necessary for the proper operation
of the vehicle.

(2) The offense described in this section, causing unreasonable noise with a vehicle, is a Class D traffic violation.

The fine is $89 before court costs, unitary assessments, etc.

How many times does your wife want to pay the fine before she says "honey, time for that new exhaust"?

Mark, your neighborhood C10-driving attorney

Last edited by ixnay; 08-06-2010 at 01:15 AM.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #147
RossRinSD

Quote:
What a great afternoon to spend with the boys. I heard the wife and dog in there, too. After you guys do a couple burnouts around the block, I've got the first round of beers for a job well done. As long as you drink cheap beer, anyways.
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #148
RossRinSD

Quote:
VA72C10,
Thanks for posting the Clips for me. I told someone else in here I am technically Challenged. This thing is running great its pretty loud with the single muffler with the Y Pipe setup. Now all I have to do is get my Wife to Buy into spending another $500 on a new Exhaust System. I am going to fine tune the Timing Tomorrow and do the initial Brake In Oil change. I have a couple of leakes I need to figure out. Looks like its leaking from the front of the Oil Pan. I probably should have had the guy use one of those one piece oil pan gaskets. Anyway its all about fine tuning now. Thanks again for posting the Videos.

JRBECK64
Didn't you just put together a sweet ass truck? Technology sure is changing, isn't it?
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #149
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossRinSD View Post
What a great afternoon to spend with the boys. I heard the wife and dog in there, too. After you guys do a couple burnouts around the block, I've got the first round of beers for a job well done. As long as you drink cheap beer, anyways.
RossRinSD,
As long as its cold it all tastes the same to me. I took it out for a spin around the block today and it shifts really nice and rides great. The Front Brakes are a little spoungy if thats a word, it seems like I cant get the Drivers Side Front to bleed properly but the Passenger Side seems ok. Im beginning to wonder if I need to bench bleed the Master Cylinder again or if I might have a bad Wheel Cylinder. I put everything new on it including the Master Cylinder and the Wheel Cylinders but I guess that doesn't mean I didn't get a bad one. After all this work I sure dont want to end up in a ditch or rapped around a telephone pole. By the way thanks for the Job Well Done, Me and My Sons Appreciate it.

JRBECK64
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #150
JRBECK64

I Learned something new in the last week about Drum Brakes. You have to adjust them out to a snug fit of the drum before you try to bleed them. I also learned that if a line is leaking you will never get them to bleed (LOL). Well we are past the Brake issues and I put a Temp Guage under the dash and its not over heating. Now I am waiting for CPP to send me a mailing label so I can return their leaking power steering pump. One more thing holding me back from getting this truck on the road where it belongs. I guess this is where I am supposed to learn Patients. Another Subject, My Wife and I are leaving on a cruise this coming up Sunday So I wont be posting anything for probably a week to all of you that have been following the progress. I hope to have the hood on this weekend so I might post pictures of that before I leave.

JRBECK64