The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #126
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 84 GMC C2500, V12 powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayoterun View Post
More questions:

If I keep going with the '84 Clip, cab, and bed, I'll need to use at least a 2-3 inch body lift front to back. I don't see any other way to gain the room I need, soo:
How does a person deal with the gap between body and top of bumpers both front and back?
Do you leave a gap, or is there sneaky way to hide it? What has others done?

Thanks, Cayoterun
Someone I knew cu the fronte frame horns off, slid them up so it would align the bumper rigt, then welded them into place. Then he reinforced the area..

On the rear, he had another frame that he cut the rears end from it, then he cut the top side down of the original and welded the end from the spare frame on. Again he reinforced them once they were down.

Drawing is crude, but it gives you an idea what I am talking about.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 05-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #127
cayoterun

Thanks a million.

Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #128
cayoterun

This truck plan is getting more crooks in the build than a snake track. Seems like anything I try to do to get the motor stuffed in the cab, more drawbacks come up. It boils down to not enough room to make everything work and still be able to work on it without pulling the cab. Not worth it.
I think I've spun out, gonna' back up and go another direction. I've found 3 '46 chevy grain trucks that have good clean sheetmetal, so am going to try a long nose open motor deal this time. We'll see how far we get with this brain storm. I did get this green truck bought, and have good title in hand. I haven't found hardly a dent and only surface rust in it.
Thanks to Rap-em-Papy for making a midnight rough photo-chop to give an idea what it would kinda' look like. No hood or filler. Extend running boards and let it all hang out. Keep the '84 frame stock, then either shorten a 40s? steel pickup bed or build a short flat-bed.
Spin the wheel and where it stops, who knows?
Attached Images

Last edited by cayoterun; 05-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #129
spudz

Quote:
More questions:

If I keep going with the '84 Clip, cab, and bed, I'll need to use at least a 2-3 inch body lift front to back. I don't see any other way to gain the room I need, soo:
How does a person deal with the gap between body and top of bumpers both front and back?
Do you leave a gap, or is there sneaky way to hide it? What has others done?

Thanks, Cayoterun
they make relocation brackets to move the bumper up. you can make your own too I'm sure.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #130
cayoterun

When you hit a stump, back up and go around. Getting started on second try. I think I'm going to get along with the '46 sheetmetal better than I was doing with the '84. This cab is simple and don't have all the do-dads to work around. It's shorter than the other, so leaves room for a 6'4" bed of some kind. Big challenge is radiator location. Only have room in front for a surge tank. One step at a time, I guess.
Cayoterun
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #131
dammitmitchell
the pollock

you sir are a beast

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #132
bluex

As much as I liked you doing this with a square, that truck is gonna be 100x cooler now....

I dont know if you thought of it, but run the radiator in the bed and use muffler piping to run it to the engine and back. Thats how they do those off road buggies all the time. That is if your not planning on using the bed for alot of hauling

Last edited by bluex; 05-20-2011 at 01:29 AM.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #133
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Cool cayote! Keep up the good work fella!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #134
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
As much as I liked you doing this with a square, that truck is gonna be 100x cooler now....

I dont know if you thought of it, but run the radiator in the bed and use muffler piping to run it to the engine and back. Thats how they do those off road buggies all the time. That is if your not planning on using the bed for alot of hauling
Where would I look to see how others have mounted their radiator on/in the bed? I would like to hide it as much as possible, but it takes a huge radiator to cool these old motors. I'm open to any possibility. I'll have the 40+ gallon propane tank mounted back there too. I'd use a steel pickup bed if I could find one that old to match or build a steel flat bed.

The truck won't be hauling anything. These projects are a passtime for an old retired guy. It has a stout receiver hitch now that a trailer could be pulled with it for show and tell, if it's ever roadworthy.

I don't intend to have a hood. Been thinking I could have a canvas cover made to snap on like an old convertible top cover for protection when parked or if caught in a rain shower.
Thanks,
Cayoterun

Old 05-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #135
cayoterun

Need help from you artistic guys. I can mount the radiator thru the bed floor down between frame rails behind the rear axle. Some of the radiator could be above bed floor if we needed. Have the propane tank behind cab. I need ideas of how we could camoflauge it with bed sides so it wouldn't look so bad. It would need a heavy protective screen in front of the radiator below the bed to keep rocks from ruining it. Something like bed with stake sides, or pickup bed with tool boxes down the sides, maybe? Open to all ideas. The bed floor and back would need lots of room for air circulation. In that location, it would have plenty of room for big radiator and fans.
I'll post a full side overall view later. Plenty of time to think on it before we get that far.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #136
cayoterun

Looks like two options on radiator locations.
1: Behind cab and drop down thru floor, but would have to be cautious to stay clear of driveshaft travel. May also restrict airflow.
2: Behind rear axle, less interference, and more space for air circulation, and larger radiator, but not too low to drag on curbs.
Bed Floor: Use expanded metal for most of it.
Bed sides: More expanded metal/w fake doors like they use to haul hunting dogs. Would try to not go higher than rear glass and would have to check with lp inspectors for approval.

Front clip: Have front support located and brackets built. Kept trying to center fenders over the wheels, but when looked at stock truck pics., they were off set some originally, did the same thing here. The wheels are wider than on the '46, so front wheels extend past the fenders about 2" on each side. Will leave it that way, see no easy solution to that, but many trucks with oversize tires are run that way.

Our second daughter had a bump in the road this morning. A local cafe she is part owner here burned to the ground. Haven't heard any details yet.
Enough brainstorming for today.
Cayoterun
Attached Images

Last edited by cayoterun; 05-22-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Thanks, BlueX for heading me that way.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #137
bluex

Mock up looks great.

I did a Google search for rear mounted radiator and found a post on the HAMB where a guy put his in the tailgate. There's another idea for you.

I can't figure out how to copy and paste the link from my phone though.....

As for the bed, since those engines have a long ag history I think a flat bed with wood sides would fit the theme and the era of the cab your using. Just my .02 though.....
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #138
Rap'em Pappy

That looooks more eye catching. I like Bluex's idea with pipes to the
rear radiator. I am sure there has to be some well pipes around there.Here is one of my crazy thoughts for the rear box with the radiator by the tail gate.
Then lover or screen the inside of the box or use a spoiler.
How about using the frt water tank of a motor for a surge tank in the frt of the truck?
Attached Images

Rap'em Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #139
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Mock up looks great.

I did a Google search for rear mounted radiator and found a post on the HAMB where a guy put his in the tailgate. There's another idea for you.

I can't figure out how to copy and paste the link from my phone though.....

As for the bed, since those engines have a long ag history I think a flat bed with wood sides would fit the theme and the era of the cab your using. Just my .02 though.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Your and the others .02 is always appreciated. There have been many ideas of you guys or combined ideas used in these off-the-wall brainstorms. Your right about the ag theme fitting our country, which might look out of place in the more urban populated areas. Between you and pappy's last post combined hit the nail on the head of what I was trying to picture in my head.
When I was a kid and the pastures hadn't been fenced into smaller ones, a lot of guys would hunt coyotes with greyhounds. Run up close enough to the coyote so the dogs could see them, cram on the brakes, drop the dogs and watch the race. They would have old pickups rigged up very similar as where this is going. For a kid, it sure seemed like there were some wild rides take place out thru those pastures.
Pappy, I ain't got guts enough to use my wife's riding lawn mower gas tank for a surge tank like another feller I know, but the one off the motor stand looks like it might work. (grin)
Thanks,
Cayoterun

Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #140
scotto0609

When I first saw the new donor I thoght rear mount with a extended bed. Apparently I am too late!!
scotto0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #141
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto0609 View Post
When I first saw the new donor I thoght rear mount with a extended bed. Apparently I am too late!!
There will be plenty more questions on other stuff, so keep thinkin'.
Cayoterun

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #142
locomotive breath

Looking good. I think the older sheet metal suits the big V12 better myself. A good sized radiator tilted forward in the bed at a 45 degree or so angle with a big electric fan might do the job. You could always have a smaller radiator up front for a second pass before it goes back into the engine.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #143
cayoterun

Would you tilt the top of radiator forword or Back 45 degrees? I think about all the room I have in front will be for a surge tank. I've noticed that most if not all the surge tanks on the well stands have a 2" inlet from motor, but 1 1/2" outlet going to the cooling coils.
I'm keeping my eye out for the biggest radiator I can get mounted back there.
Pappy said after he added a surge tank, it sure improved his cooling.
Dumb question. What purpose does the surge tanks serve and why do they help???
All the irrigation wells have them, regardless of what motor they're using. I always wondered.

The older sheetmetal is sure working better for me so far. Trying to put the motor back in the cab of the '84 was too complicated for me. The space issue sure got to be a can of worms. I could have made it work if I had set the cab back, but then, I'm not good enough with sheetmetal to make the fender/hood extension look right.
Glad you chimed in,
Cayoterun
Still looking for a distributor.

Last edited by cayoterun; 06-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #144
cayoterun

Museum called and asked if I'd come out this weekend, crank "Balaur" up, and pull the '47 Spartan in their parade this weekend. If I do, I'll post a pic. She needs to be run some. It's been a year already.
Cayoterun

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #145
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That sounds pretty cool. If you do get to do it, enjoy it!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #146
dammitmitchell
the pollock

quick question.
why dont you extend the rear frame and keep the stock length bed.
place the radiator infront of the rear diff, behind the cab. in the floor with an expanded metal top and electric fan assy mounted on it?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #147
cayoterun

Food for thought:
Let's kick it around. Here's some questions that come to my mind as I read this.
So far and I've been looking.
Finding a bed to match the 40-46s has been scarce. I know of a steel bed off a '46 1-ton, but think it's 9'. The fenders are different to accomodate dual wheels.

I don't think the '84 bed would look right, would it?

A wood/steel bed might be better, like in the photo chop. I like the height of the sides coming just below rear cab window. We could put a skirt on it like "Balaur" to give it a lower profile appearance.

I'd need to add at least 24" to frame. Would that make it too clumsy? One hazard I have to be careful about is oil pan clearance. 8" clearance have been the best I can do on both trucks. Longer wheel base means lower drop when front wheels go down in a low spot. "Balaur" has a 239" wheelbase and it is clumsy in close quarters. In real life it had an 11' flatbed for delivering lumber and sheetrock.

I see everything as how we done it 30yrs ago, so need you guys to come up with stuff different. Having said that, The propane tank I'll use is 16"Dia x 53"L. (50 gallon) We've always mounted them behind the cab. We are restricted by laws as where they're mounted. It will pass anywhere in the bed as long as it's not enclosed.
So how could we make a neat arrangment for tank and radiator back there, & still maintain air circulation?

Side note: Have the cab and front clip mounts built. So far, I like the way they are coming out. Been looking how the suspended brake pedal and master cylinder will mount. Looks like it will fit in pretty easy.
Looking at two options on steering column. Tilt column from '84, or use the old column from the '46. Use the clamp on turn signal switch to keep it with the cab consistant with '46 era. Both look fairly easy.

Plan to go play in "Balaur's" neighborhood for the weekend. Get to help start old cars, tractors, and maybe "Balaur".
Be back next week to pick you guys brains.

I'm liking working with this older sheetmetal better than the '62. Going open motor is sure making things simpler too.
Thanks everybody. Who knows where this will wind up.
Cayoterun

Reread last few posts: I repeat myself too much, but bear with me. Strokes ain't no fun, but life is still good.

Last edited by cayoterun; 06-02-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #148
Pyrotechnic

For the bed, I believe the stepside beds were the same from the 50's all the way till 1987. The only difference is the fenders on them and maybe the steps too...not sure on the steps. Since they were made so long that increases your chances of finding a good one, then you just have to find some year/style appropriate fenders to attach.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #149
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
For the bed, I believe the stepside beds were the same from the 50's all the way till 1987. The only difference is the fenders on them and maybe the steps too...not sure on the steps. Since they were made so long that increases your chances of finding a good one, then you just have to find some year/style appropriate fenders to attach.
I'll start looking tomorrow. Would be great if that would work out. Thanks.

Posted a couple of pics of "Balaur" in the parade at Santa Fe trail days, Boise City, Ok. over on her build thread. Stuck a couple of batteries on, couple squirts of starting fluid, and she fired right up. Had lots of fun and good visiting over the weekend.
Cayoterun

Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #150
locomotive breath

I have seen several Chevy Luv V8 swaps done where they mounted the radiator at about 45 degrees with the top leaning forward up close to the cab. It draws fresh air up from the bed floor thru a section that was replaced with expanded metal for fresh air.

Yes, I would still like to find another distributor.

Quote:
Would you tilt the top of radiator forword or Back 45 degrees? I think about all the room I have in front will be for a surge tank. I've noticed that most if not all the surge tanks on the well stands have a 2" inlet from motor, but 1 1/2" outlet going to the cooling coils.
I'm keeping my eye out for the biggest radiator I can get mounted back there.
Pappy said after he added a surge tank, it sure improved his cooling.
Dumb question. What purpose does the surge tanks serve and why do they help???
All the irrigation wells have them, regardless of what motor they're using. I always wondered.

The older sheetmetal is sure working better for me so far. Trying to put the motor back in the cab of the '84 was too complicated for me. The space issue sure got to be a can of worms. I could have made it work if I had set the cab back, but then, I'm not good enough with sheetmetal to make the fender/hood extension look right.
Glad you chimed in,
Cayoterun
Still looking for a distributor.