The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #126
sumran

Re: Gator Squared

Finally got around to a compression test on the engine that will be going into the project. Tested on the stand, cold with carb and headers removed. All but one cylinder tested between 162 and 170. The one that tested at 155 was the last one checked and the battery was losing steam. I will check that one again after a charge. Even if the results are the same, That should be OK. I was planning to have the heads done before the install but perhaps I will run it as is.

I also removed the Torker II intake manifold. I will be using a performer instead. The alternator bracket that I am mounting needs another bolt, which will definately get into the water passage at the front of the head. Sealant should make that acceptable.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #127
sumran

Went by the body shop. The body work is almost complete on the front clip. Lots to do yet but they are making progress. There were two guys working on it when I left. If that holds up when I'm not there it should move along quickly.

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #128
sumran

Pulled the harmonic balancer and the timing cover this weekend. I was hoping to get identification marks off of the cam and I wanted to check the timing chain. There were no marks on the cam (probably on the rear of the cam), so I will have check it with a dial gauge or pull the cam. I may just look for the cam that I want (???) and install it. Chain had quite a bit of slack, so I will be replacing that before the engine goes in.

The cam and crank were not properly aligned. It was one tooth off, so it did run, but it would have worked against the cam timing.

I decided to pull the heads because some of the work on the motor was sloppy or not right. The heads actually looked good, although the torque required to remove bolts was very uneven. Hard to tell how much of that was due to improper installation. They are off now, so I will get them checked and have my additional accessory hole drilled and tapped.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the disassembly phase and into the assembly portion of the project.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #129
justinburnett

What is the compression supposed to run (within tolerance)? I compression tested my engine before putting it in and was between 213 and 220 psi on all cylinders. I was thinking yours sounded low, but maybe mine's just pretty high. Sure does run great!
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #130
sumran

According to the factory service manual, 150 or better is good. There are plenty on the road with far less than 150. I don't know enough to comment on the high end of the range. Sounds like yours is in great shape. Your readings are consitent and it drives well. That is the result I am hoping for.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #131
justinburnett

Well mine's new, so like I said, I don't know if it's TOO good, but it's damned nice. Smooth running, and tons of power. I drive with a really light foot, but one time I got a little excitable or something and pushed the pedal down about halfway tore the tires loose with no problem. I don't make a habit of that cause I can't afford the gas, but it's nice to know I have that power there if I need it. I built it myself without a clue what I was doing when i started. Learned a lot (spent too much money), but I'm so happy with it now. Almost wish I'd done the transmission myself too, so that I would know what exactly was done with it and if something was wrong I could figure out what it was. Had some other guys do it and I'm kinda skeptical as to whether or not it's going to last long, considering the experience I had with them.

Not trying to tell you how to run your life or anything, but you should seriously get some pictures of the progress on the body.

Last edited by justinburnett; 05-09-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #132
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinburnett View Post
Not trying to tell you how to run your life or anything, but you should seriously get some pictures of the progress on the body.
I try to get some updated pics later this week. The shop is on the opposite end of town, so I only get there once a week.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #133
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumran View Post
The shop is on the opposite end of town

I'd be willing to bet that's like a 45 min. drive across town too huh ?

Couldn't pay me enough to move back into a BIG city !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 05-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #134
justinburnett

I'm right with you on that. Grew up in a city where the drive to work took more than an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #135
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I'd be willing to bet that's like a 45 min. drive across town too huh ?

Couldn't pay me enough to move back into a BIG city !
It may not be a big city, but at least its a city. It only takes 20 minutes but that is each way. I have to SKIP LUNCH on those days (now we will find out if Restorob has a mean streak! ).

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #136
sumran

I going to visit the truck in paint prison today. I'l get some additional pics while I'm there. I may have stumbled into trouble last night when I dropped off the heads.

I was looking for a place to get my heads cleaned up, ported a bit, and drilled and tapped for the serp system. A friend new a guy down the road he said could do it for me. He mentioned that the guy built dragsters. I did not know it was such a serious enterprise. A big place full of Nitro and Profuel dragsters.

He is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and was eager to talk to me about my Square Body hot rod project. He asked different questions than most. He asked about a few gasket and piston combinations and what fuel I expected to run. He was trying to detemine where I wanted to end up as far as compression.

I post more details later. I was just surprised to find someone at his level a couple of miles from my house, that was willing to work on my boring little project. Most car guys are down-to-earth people. That is a big part of what makes it enjoyable.

Last edited by sumran; 05-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #137
Pop's C-10

What kind of fuel...you going to burn some nitro...lol
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #138
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
What kind of fuel...you going to burn some nitro...lol
I think I'll pass on the nitro. He was asking about octane because he was thinking compression. He did tell me that a 20:1 ratio of gasoline to kerosene would greatly improve performance, increase mileage and keep the fuel system cleaner.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #139
sumran

Some updated pics from the body shop.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #140
sumran

He is hoping to have the paint and body work complete by the end of the month.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #141
sumran

I think I have settled the engine plan. Found a place that sells cam, lifters, 3-piece timing set, flat-top pistons, all bearings, rings, break in additive, oil pump, freeze plugs and a full Fel-Pro gasket set for $330. I need to pick up a set of valve springs and pushrods and it will be better than new.

Didn't really plan to get that far into it but "as long as I am there" lead me astray.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #142
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Didn't really plan to get that far into it but "as long as I am there" lead me astray.

Easy to happen huh Randy !!!

My 74 started with a blown trans swap but found the engine rear main seal seeping a little, While I had the pan off I dropped a main and rod cap and didn't like what I seen. Rebuilt the engine (no where stock), With all the new paint and chrome it looked out of place in it's bay. That's when the whole body came off and the fun began.

Been collecting NOS, New aftermarket and good used parts for eight years now......

One day......Just maybe one day, I'll get all these new parts out of my house.....
97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #143
sumran

Pulled down the rest of the engine. Cam, pistons and crank. I was trying to get so measurements to determine what pistons and bearings to order. The bearing journals are slightly out of spec. Crank pins were fine. This engine was supposedly rebuilt. If it was, they just slapped some new rings in and called it a day. It had the original stock cam and none of the bearings had been changed.

I will probably take it to a local machine shop and get the cylinders honed or bored and have the check the crank and direct me on what bearings and pistons I need to order.

I am really looking forward to assembly. The discovery and disassembly phase takes more than it gives.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #144
justinburnett

In my experience, it seems that people don't like changing cam bearings. Takes a special tool to knock them out and most people don't want to spend that extra money on something if they're not going to use it all the time. It's kind of a pain, but worth it, I would think, as you can buy a cam and bearings as a set so they match perfectly.

Looks like they're finally making some good progress on the body. You can hardly tell they replaced the rocker and corner. I need to do that on my driver's side one of these days. They're both rusted through.

Looking forward to the final picture when it's ALL done! Good luck with your engine build!

Last edited by justinburnett; 05-16-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: saw pictures above
Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #145
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinburnett View Post
In my experience, it seems that people don't like changing cam bearings. Takes a special tool to knock them out and most people don't want to spend that extra money on something if they're not going to use it all the time. It's kind of a pain, but worth it, I would think, as you can buy a cam and bearings as a set so they match perfectly.

Looks like they're finally making some good progress on the body. You can hardly tell they replaced the rocker and corner. I need to do that on my driver's side one of these days. They're both rusted through.

Looking forward to the final picture when it's ALL done! Good luck with your engine build!
Thanks for the encouraging words. Cam bearings will definately be changed this time. They didn't even change the mains or the rod bearings.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #146
justinburnett

Oh now that's just plain laziness!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #147
sumran

I don't have any room to complain, since I didn't pay anyone to rebuild it. The engine came from a parts truck and I made more on the scrap and the parts than I paid for it, so it didn't owe me anything.

I just got off the phone with a local machine shop. I going to take it in tomorrow and get him to mic the crank and bores. That will allow me to order the pistons and bearings. Once those come in I will take the to him so he can get all the assemblies at the same weight. I'll probably have him install the cam bearings while he has it. I imagine he also has a tank to clean the block. I could do it, but I won't feel like I've missed anything if it comes back nice and clean. My oil pan might even be in the truck when I drop off the block.

The detour on the engine is aggravating at the moment but, in the end, it will make the truck more enjoyable. I will know exactly what I have and it should be good for 200K of pleasurable driving.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #148
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
in the end, it will make the truck more enjoyable. I will know exactly what I have and it should be good for 200K of pleasurable driving.

That's the key right there, We'd hate to hear ya broke down on the way to one of our shows !
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #149
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
That's the key right there, We'd hate to hear ya broke down on the way to one of our shows !
Shows!? You're talking shows? My block, crank and pistons are in garbage bags, in the back of my Dodge pickup. Today I will hand those over to a machine shop. My window and glass are at another place. The seats are in an upholstry shop that is only open 4 hours a day and has a Yorkshire guard dog. The body and chassis are in paint prison. The heads and transmission are at a different machine shop. The poor truck has been dismembered and spread all over the city. I have fasteners and small parts stashed throughout the garage (you know, he should have bagged and tagged those), most of which I don't even recognize anymore. When I go to get parts for Frankentruck, even the simple questions are laughable. Parts person: "What year is the vehicle?" Me: "You have to be more specific. Which part?" The only show it qualifies for currently is a horror show. I don't know if the end result will be art, but it has long since stopped being science.

All that I have left is some tires and wheels and a pile of parts that will supposedly be installed one of these days. All because I decided I wanted a nice looking simple truck.

Simple? Simple is a new truck with no soul and an extended warranty plan. One that performs reasonably well and gets 20+ mpg. But think of all the fun I would be missing if I went that way.

Last edited by sumran; 05-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #150
sumran

Dropped off the goods at the machine shop. He verified that the main journals were out of spec and the crankpins were good. He is going to polish and mic the journals and provide a bearing spec for me. The cylinders had too much of a ridge.They could be reamed and honed, but we are going to bore it .020 over since I am getting new pistons anyway. He is also going to get the rods in top shape, clean the block, remove and install the new cam bearings, remove and install pistons...

By the time I'm done with parts and labor I am going to have over $1,000 in my free engine. Cheaper than a crate motor, but still more than I thought I was going to spend. He is going to clean my oil pan at no charge.