The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #126
Vincenthdfan

Re: 65 Short Fleet Small Window Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhr3 View Post
I spent the day pulling the 700R4 transmission back so I could change the flexplate. Last week we discovered the good deal flexplate we had installed was for an externally balanced engine (400) and not a 350. Since installing the crate motor we have had a not bad but noticeable vibration at 1000-1200 RPM. The plate we installed originally had a balance weight that we did not notice before installation. Bought a new plate from Summit with no weight.
Oh man, that sucks that you had to pull it back apart for that...ugh!
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #127
nhr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
Oh man, that sucks that you had to pull it back apart for that...ugh!
Not a huge deal. A few hours of work and all was right. It is great to have it running without the vibration and it only taking a bit of labor and a $30 Flexplate.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #128
nhr3

Well yesterday the seat belts finally arrived. Ordered from Seat Belt Planet expecting them to be shipped within 3-4 days as per the info on web site. With no explanation it took them 14 days to ship. I am glad I was not in a hurry. Teh belts and hardware do seem to be of quality and installation went smoothly. I basically did what this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=seat+belt recommends. I did not want to weld the shoulder attach point in because I have already painted the cab so instead I bolted the plate sold by Seat Belt planet. This required tapping 1/4 20 threads into the plate and fishing it up through the B post. Effort worked like a champ and I only have one of the two bolts visible.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #129
dwcardfan

Seat belts look nice!!!!
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #130
nhr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan View Post
Seat belts look nice!!!!
Thanks, at this point in the project, all the big fun stuff is done, it is sometimes difficult to get motivated. The weather has turned and I really do not want to insure, register and drive it until next spring. I still have carpet and paint rework (paint will go on for a long time), but the list gets smaller. Maybe it is time to extend the shop so I can drag more stuff in and play.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #131
Bomp

Truck looks great
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #132
nhr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Truck looks great
Thanks for the encouragement. Right now we have been on the road fixing go fast airplanes for three weeks. Looking forward to getting home and back into the shop. I have a lot I really want to do, the first being getting it registered so I can drive it again. This winter I hope to get carpet done, exhaust done, sound system done and a ton of little stuff.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #133
nhr3

Starting into my winter list. Ordered the headers yesterday. After much research decided to give Hedman #69890 a shot. I have always run Hedmans just not this configuration. I also like the fact that the flange is 3/8 and the pipe material 14 gauge. I am expecting a bit of rework on the ignition wires but if everything just fit the first time where would the fun be.

My neighbor has ordered two Flowmaster 40 delta flow mufflers. He has a bender and a business of installing custom exhaust. This truck has always had pipes coming out in front of the rear wheels in the past. This time we are taking them to the back. We will have 3 inch stainless, slant cut tips sticking out under the back bumper.

Also going to work the insurance and registration thing this week. The Grundy quote looked good but my regular insurer Erie said they could match and do agreed upon value. I have a special edition Mercedes that I have not been pleased with the coverage so I am having an Erie appraiser come out and value both the Truck and the Mercedes.

When we get the insurance thing nailed down we will go fight the state. As of October Maryland allows a single plate on vehicles over 50 years old. I will also register a vintage 1965 plate that will be on the back of the truck. The law says I have to carry a current plate inside the truck so we are going to velcro it to the back of the seat.

Things are starting to wind up on this project so we are starting to look at the next one. Don't know if it will be another truck, GTO, vintage Nova or what.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #134
nhr3

Well the Hedman 69890 headers came and it was time to install. The neighbor should have the Flowmaster Delta 40's so we can complete exhaust this weekend. Going to register tomorrow.

Over the years I have put 4-5 sets of headers on the truck always Hedmans. It has been 20 years since the last set and I have moved the engine 1 1/4 inches forward during this mod and installed flat sheet CPP motor mounts. I put the old headers on the new engine but they were getting a bit thin so it was time.

All the mods had closed the clearances up so I wanted to be sure when I ordered that I was getting something that worked. I read all I could on this Forum, Checked other sources and even PM'd Captain Fab. Long story short I settled on the 69890's.

These are long tube, coated, 14 gauge headers with a 3/8 flange. Definately heavier than anything I had installed in the past. The headers do stick somewhat below the frame so anyone lowering their trucks probably would not consider this option. for me they stick about as far down as everything in the past so it is not an issue.

The headers installed easy enough and gave great clearance where there had been little. It was necessary to jack the front end to allow instalation from below. No need to jack engine or remove starter. The only real problems involved plug wires and the only real issue was #5 cylinder.

We have worked the issue and come up with a solution that uses stainless steel safety wire with shrink wrap to create a harness that holds the wire where it should not get heat damage. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #135
dwcardfan

Very nice!
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #136
nhr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan View Post
Very nice!
thanks. The plan for the exhaust is much like yours. The Delta 40's will be under the bed with duel tips out the back. The 3 1/2 tips were suggested but I am going to go with 3 inch. Yours look like 3 inch also.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #137
nhr3

We spent Sunday with the neighbor (and friend), in his shop, while he bent up and welded in the exhaust system. We have 2 1/2 inch coming off the headers. The pipes curve up under the bed just aft of the trailing arm cross member, into a pair of Flowmaster Delta 40's, out the 40's still with 2 1/2 pipe, they bend out behind the differential and go around the gas tank into 3 inch stainless tips sticking just below the bumper on each side. I think they look great and sound great.

Next project is wheels, tires and front end alignment. Took some short test hops and it is really touchy, could use a bit more caster. Camber and toe look to be good but I really want to get it on a machine and know the numbers before I go much further
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #138
nhr3

My state of residence, Maryland, is a two tag (front and rear) state. As of October 1, 2015 Maryland will give owners of vehicles 50+ years old, registered Historic or Hot Rod, the option, at no extra cost, of a single tag (rear)(notes 50 year historic). This option allows me to display my custom plate with my initials on the front bumper. This is significant as this is how I tagged the truck in Georgia in the 80's.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #139
nhr3

I have been looking for a "key chain" solution that is not metal so the paint on the instrument panel and Dash would not get damaged. I found a "chain" my brother had made, years ago, that is basically a "monkey fist", fashioned around a wine bottle cork, with a braided leader. I am very happy with this solution as it solves the problem and reminds me of my brother every time I turn the key.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #140
nhr3

Back in the 1980's, when I last reconditioned my truck, I purchased and installed a stainless steel cap for the top of the tailgate. This piece served as a piece of "bling" but also protected the top of the tailgate from scratches etc. Over the years the cap had sustained some "scratch and wear" damage so I thought I would replace it during this refurb. LMC was the only vendor I could find and the price was about $65. I ordered it in September and received it yesterday. To say I am NOT impressed is an understatement. Instead of forming the curve with a roll or a press, it looks like they three staged it with a pan brake. The legs on the old unit reach down to the first style line on the inside of the tailgate and down near to the chain bar on the outside. The new one does not reach half as far in either direction. Looks like I am probably going to sand and polish the old one up. My recommendation to anyone looking to cap their fleetside tailgate is try to find something other than the LMC product.

Pictures show the new cap installed and the old cap sitting on top not installed
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #141
nhr3

We spent a considerable amount of time yesterday installing a Retrosound system and arm rests. When I did the rework of the cab I blanked out the radio holes so I could start fresh. Lots of time measuring and cutting with Ziz wheel, files and drill bits produced acceptable results for fit.

The sound system works great with blue tooth AM, FM and USB. I only have the in dash 2 speaker system right now but will next purchase the kick panel speakers with maybe a bass under the seats in the future (after carpet).

Locating the arm rests was an exercise in measuring. I had installed new doors (from LMC) and reclaimed trim panels with no holes for arm rests. Ace Hardware had the clip nuts that fit the doors so that part was very easy. A lot of measuring and 4 holes later everything fit.

We have been working on the truck about 5 years now and are finally driving it to evaluate and tweak systems. Next on the agenda, hopefully, is suspension, sway bar, shocks, Wheels and tires.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #142
nhr3

Things have been a bit slow lately. Had to spend three weeks onsite doing inspections on special mission aircraft. Upon return we installed a 1 1/2 CPP front sway bar and new shocks. Because of the 30 year old, rock hard, out of balance tires I cannot say that it drives any better with the bar but with the power steering and new front end parts it does steer and drive much better than it ever did. New front wheels showed up yesterday (15x8) Rear wheels are back ordered (15x10) hopefully we will receive them next week and start thinking seriously about tires and allignment.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #143
mjh1965

Very nice I would be interested in what tyre size you go for , as I just got a wider set of rear slot mags for mine . 15x10 for the rear and I still have 15x8 on the front

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #144
nhr3

I am working on a tire (tyre) decision for the 10 inchers. Currently the ones I have on the back are 30 year old, bias ply, 31x10.5x15 I am looking at 285x70x15 or 295x50x15. I want probably an All Terrain vs street tire but am not totally sold yet. What I have does fit in the well but just. The back space on the white spokes is only 3.50 inches the new rims will have 4.0 backspace.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #145
nhr3

Well we went to the tire shop today and made a decision. We have ordered a P265-70-15 All terrain tire to go on the rear 10 inch Outlaw 1 rims. the front will remain 255-70-15 street tire on an 8 inch outlaw 1 rim.

Everything should be here Friday for mounting. I plan to install the wheels myself and then hopefully Saturday afternoon I will spend time with the tire shop technician on the new, digital front end alignment machine getting the results I want. I think I am looking for 3/16 toe, 0-1 degree positive camber and 2-2.5 degrees positive caster. If anyone has any input on this please let me know.

Driving around on unknown alignment and 30 year old tires has been alot like ice scating with a very large partner. I am looking forward to the fruits of my labor. Pictures to follow.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #146
nhr3

Installed wheels and tires today. The Wheels are American Racing Outlaw 1, 15x8 in the front and 15x10 in the rear. I am pretty happy with the tires. Front are 255x70x15 and rear are 265x70x15. I was concerned about tires being too small in diameter or sticking too far out to the rear wheel well. the rear wheels have 4 inch back spacing and I think they fill the wheel well perfect. I am pretty sure there would be minimal to no interference even with a 4 inch drop. Any more drop the fender well lip might need a little adjustment.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #147
nhr3

One last picture. Next on the list is carpet. We are still working to get the 700R4 to shift the way we want.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #148
mjh1965

Looking good . I think with my 4inch drop on the rear I may go the same route as you, with the 265/70/15 instead of the 275/60/15 that came on my 10 inch rears . Nice clear under shot thanks

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #149
nhr3

Beautiful day. Decided to get the toys out and clean the playroom. Have been thinking about selling the 1999 Grand Edition Mercedes S500 to make room. Now just thinking about expanding the playroom.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #150
Grizz1963

Your truck is sooooooo close to the look I want. Two tone red etc.

I do love it.

I plan on Rallye wheels at the moment, with or without white walls, not more than 2"

I am also going to go wider on the rear than planned, with 245 or 255 and then 235 on the front, probably in a 70 profile.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote