The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Make it handle

that is a SUPER COOL PICTURE
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
cory d

put my 1 1/4" bar on and replced the control arm bushings with energy suspensiond black bushings. i just need to test it out lol. DARN YOU ICE
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
cory d

my truck feels 100 times better after the bushing replacement, i talked t a local guy about how he builds his panhards. he owns a small shop just minutes away, i may by some parts from him
Old 01-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
jimmydean

Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
cory d

I saw on you JT truck that you placed the panhard pretty far off center of the axle. Does this have an effect turning one dirrection or the other? If so is there a good compromise between lateral location on the axel and rod lenght?

PANHARD BEFORE REAR SWAY BAR
Would you suggest adding a panhard bore a rear sway bar? Sounds like circle folk mount the panhar bar to the left side of the frame so the panhard bar gains a downward angle when cornering. Would this have a noticable effect when not combined with a rear sway bar?

Last edited by cory d; 01-19-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
I saw on you JT truck that you placed the panhard pretty far off center of the axle. Does this have an effect turning one dirrection or the other? If so is there a good compromise between lateral location on the axel and rod lenght?

PANHARD BEFORE REAR SWAY BAR
Would you suggest adding a panhard bore a rear sway bar? Sounds like circle folk mount the panhar bar to the left side of the frame so the panhard bar gains a downward angle when cornering. Would this have a noticable effect when not combined with a rear sway bar?
JT's panhard rod is our C10 "Pro Panhard" kit. Our goal was to make it as long as we could and package it into the stock confines of the C10. For the most part it goes from frame to trailing arm, and is very close to being centered. If you 'tip', or 'wedge' a panhard rod, you can gain some downforce on one corner, say a left hander, but you loose big on the other one, the right hander. Also, 'tipping' the panhard rod creates much more side-to-side movement of the housing. This may work on a left hander dirt tracker, but not for us on the street.
Sway bars are the best bang for the buck upgrade. But these other items need to be addressed at some point to get the best out of the truck.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Gupster

Rob,

Been a lurker here for awhile, really enjoy reading your thoughts/direction and teachings (as well as other mfg. in put), then dreaming how to apply to my application 68 c10. The wish list is growing.

On post #1516 the bore size 13/16 X 3/4 you talk about, would this be true for hydro boost system?

You also mentioned on another post that you were getting a set of Porter lower a-arms for JT, have you had a chance to install and see what alignment you ended up with?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Greg in Fresno, CA
Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
robnolimit

For a hydro I use a 1 1/8" bore master, hydro boosts make so much pressure you need a big bore to calm them down.
Yes, we did put a set of Porterbuilt "forward" lower arms on the JT. It was easy to get the caster in the 6-7 range. Drives great. Look for an article in Street Trucks.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
cory d

I'll just hunt the junk yars for a 7/8 " bar that will work with my frame width then for $20 (yay being 21 and unemployed lol). and see what i can do with it
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
robnolimit

HAHA, Falken in the front, BFG's in the rear. May not have been my best decision. The Falken's are stickier but the balance was off. I was going to run all four Falkens, but we discovered a leak in one at the last minute. I probably should have put all of the BFG's back on, thats what I was used to.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
HAHA, Falken in the front, BFG's in the rear. May not have been my best decision. The Falken's are stickier but the balance was off. I was going to run all four Falkens, but we discovered a leak in one at the last minute. I probably should have put all of the BFG's back on, thats what I was used to.
Can you tell alot of differences in different tires? I'm currently running a hard(420TWR) Hankook, but plan to switch to something closer to 300 or so later. What tire do you like best?

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
AutoX_a_Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Can you tell alot of differences in different tires? I'm currently running a hard(420TWR) Hankook, but plan to switch to something closer to 300 or so later. What tire do you like best?
In my experience tires make a huge difference and while tread wear ratings give a general idea, they can be deceptive, particularly with tire companies fighting to make a real street tire for SCCA

My first transition was from 295/50/15 Hankooks (400+ tread wear), which were rock hard to very sticky autocross street tires Kumho Ecsta XS (180 tread wear).

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

Last edited by AutoX_a_Truck?; 01-23-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos
AutoX_a_Truck? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
keepitsimple

Wow! what a truck man. I am going to go through this thread and try to see what you guys have been talking about in here. This is a subject that I am very interested in. I am coming from racing spec miata's. So, it will be very interesting to see how you guys are setting up these trucks.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
68Stepbed

BTW, I love the background with the AD truck with the muffler "cannon" in the back.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
robnolimit

Yes, tires make a difference. Be carefull, sticky tires don't last long. When you get down to the 180-220 tread wear range, they're fun, but don't count on more than 3000 miles. I like the BFG KDW's for an all around tire. 300 TW, good grip and they last appx 8-10,000 miles. I know thats not too long, but if your asking about the grip, I'm guessing you DRIVE them hard enough to tell the difference. - That take the life out of them.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
butchp

Rob can you tell me where to get my steering parts. 1956 chevy truck with 1980 camaro stub. I want to put new center link and tie rods, Idle arm. I have heard about a shorter idle arm and maybe installing the tie rods on top of steering arms. I just need help to buy all this stuf from one place.

Last edited by butchp; 01-29-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: did not say truck or car.
butchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchp View Post
Rob can you tell me where to get my steering parts. 1956 chevy truck with 1980 camaro stub. I want to put new center link and tie rods, Idle arm. I have heard about a shorter idle arm and maybe installing the tie rods on top of steering arms. I just need help to buy all this stuf from one place.
At first I would say that OEM replacement (such as Moog or TRW) is the best bet. Swappint the TREs to the top would play heck on the steering geometry, as would a shorter idler arm (a crcle track trick, but the only turn left. The Idler and Pitman arm need to be the same length. Using a longer Pitman and Idler arm set will quicken up the steering. Also, there are center links with imroved geometry. Caution: many of these type of parts come from the circle track industry, and are designed to help turn left ONLY. Make sure you are looking at 'road race' spec items. Howe racing, Hotchkis, and Afco are good sorces.
2nd gen. Camaros (70-81) are pretty damn goo right out of the box. Buy some good shocks and a 1 1/4" sway bar from Hellwig, put the rest back stock. You'll be happy.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Yes, tires make a difference. Be carefull, sticky tires don't last long. When you get down to the 180-220 tread wear range, they're fun, but don't count on more than 3000 miles. I like the BFG KDW's for an all around tire. 300 TW, good grip and they last appx 8-10,000 miles. I know thats not too long, but if your asking about the grip, I'm guessing you DRIVE them hard enough to tell the difference. - That take the life out of them.
I would rather have a fun 10k miles than 25k highway miles.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
cory d

im drawing up some plans fro a battery box i can stuff behind the rear passenger tire on my stepper. wont help too much with moxing more weight to the back but every bit helps.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
bdiamond

Quote:
im drawing up some plans fro a battery box i can stuff behind the rear passenger tire on my stepper. wont help too much with moxing more weight to the back but every bit helps.
I modified the stock tray to do this on my old stepside. Fit like a glove. It was a PITA to access with jumper cables so I'd suggest remote jumper posts
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
68Stepbed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
I modified the stock tray to do this on my old stepside. Fit like a glove. It was a PITA to access with jumper cables so I'd suggest remote jumper posts
Any pics?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
cory d

im just going to have a door in the inside of the bed so it can be sealed off from any mud/snow/rock/grass/water from the back tire. do you have any pictures of it?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
bdiamond

That truck has been gone nearly 20 years. But, if I remember right I shortened up the triangle brackets under the tray and redrilled holes. The bottom holes went thru the angle at the bottom of the bed . It was kinda primitive and the battery sat really high in the fender but it worked was solid and it was all we had back then...
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
robnolimit

OK west coaster's, The first So Cal Challange event of 2013 is coming up on March 2, in Riverside. Don't miss out on a great track day. All American powered cars'trucks are welcome. This year we are capping the Riverside and Camaillo events at 50 enties. Check it out at www.socalchallange.com

Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
72chevynoob

Finally! Read the whole thing! I have a question, why does the no limit panhard have a bushing in one end and a heim joint in the other? Is it for some give, or would I be ok to put rod ends in both ends of mine?
Justin
Posted via Mobile Device