The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
rustytruck50

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

That would be cool...I'm trying to get the brakes fixed on the '72 in time for a Trunk-or-Treat this weekend

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Well, the new axles arrived in short order (next day from Summit for most things here), but the dimensions are not exactly the same as the stockers that I removed. It’s only a few thou here and there, but enough to require a trip to the machine shop. If I’d known, I would have just ordered a set of Mosers and been done with it. Oh well...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

So while the axles are at the machine shop, I figured I’d tear into the little five-three for some freshening and upgrades. So far I’ve got it all torn down and have cleaned the carbon deposits from the pistons and combustion chambers. It’s now sitting at #1 TDC awaiting installation of the BTR truck cam.

While it’s apart, it will also get new lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, and gaskets. This was a good running motor, so I’m not rebuilding the bottom end, just freshening her up a bit. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me like every other time I try to cheap out (see axles above)...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
So while the axles are at the machine shop, I figured I’d tear into the little five-three for some freshening and upgrades. So far I’ve got it all torn down and have cleaned the carbon deposits from the pistons and combustion chambers. It’s now sitting at #1 TDC awaiting installation of the BTR truck cam.

While it’s apart, it will also get new lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, and gaskets. This was a good running motor, so I’m not rebuilding the bottom end, just freshening her up a bit. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me like every other time I try to cheap out (see axles above)...
I've done something similar to the 5.3 that is in my '65. When my son upgraded his short block on his turbo truck, I got the old set up. When he pulled the cam out to swap to the new set up, 2 of the cam bearings fell out of the block. I got the whole package in pieces, I mean everything was apart. I cleaned it all and reassembled using the factory 240k mile bearings on the rods and crank and used new cam bearings (and an old stock cam & lifters) and all new gaskets, I even reused the factory torque to yield bolts...I have more time and elbow grease value in the engine than actual money. Most expensive thing was the gasket kit with MLS head gaskets. Think all told in parts I bought, I have about $175 in a running 5.3.

So far it has held good oil pressure and runs smooth...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
knomadd

That was a good helper at one point...

I guess your wife is tired of waiting on this one. We're glad you're back on it too though.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Good to know, Aggie, these are pretty astounding little engines. Fingers crossed...

New cam, timing chain, oil pump, and f-body oil pan are installed Next up is valve springs, then bolt the heads back on and she’ll be ready for a coat of chevy engine orange

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
shearjs

You’ll be good to go with your engine upgrades. I did the same with my 6.0 in the GMC and had zero issues. Actually contemplating doing the same thing to my 5.3 for the Burb. What kind of gains are you looking to make with the upgrades?? Keep up the great work!
shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
You’ll be good to go with your engine upgrades. I did the same with my 6.0 in the GMC and had zero issues. Actually contemplating doing the same thing to my 5.3 for the Burb. What kind of gains are you looking to make with the upgrades?? Keep up the great work!
Thanks, fingers crossed! From what I’ve seen, I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 at the crank. Should be plenty of fun with the Muncie and 3:73s. Reminds me, I need to start looking for an Eaton carrier...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #9
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Welp, the long block is completely reassembled with the new cam, lifters, hardened pushrods, valve springs, valve seals, oil pump, timing chain, and head gaskets/bolts. Nothing pic worthy to write home about, but a significant step nonetheless. She’s now ready for final scrubdown and a coat of chevy engine orange before stabbing for (hopefully) the last time.

Also did some work on the radio opening in the dash. Turns out I mis-measured one of the holes, so out came the cutoff wheel to reaccomplish what I thought was complete work. Ah well, it’s now all squared-away in primer, ready for final sanding and paint. Starting to feel some momentum, wonder what will go wrong next
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

More progress with the dash final sanded, in color, and cleared. Color match is pretty good and the clear laid out nicely. I got some trash in the ashtray lid that I hope to wet sand out, but overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
jaros44sr

Nice work, Chris. Nothing like a factory unmolested dash. I thought you had a blemish in your paint, but it was my dirty screen

Great work so far!!!

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
TA_C10

Quote:
More progress with the dash final sanded, in color, and cleared. Color match is pretty good and the clear laid out nicely. I got some trash in the ashtray lid that I hope to wet sand out, but overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out

Super nice build thread Chris. I have been keeping up with your thread for about 6 months now after reading the bulk of it and not being able to stop

When your doing small work like the radio portion of the dash, are you using an aerosol primer or are you using a gun? And what brand of primer are you using? Do you use epoxy and 2k high build or something else? Just looking for similarities to what I'm about to do on my build.

Thanks,
Tom

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #13
rustytruck50

Nice job Chris!!! Love that color!!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #14
smbrouss70

Looks better than I could have done! I have runs in the paint on my engine block... But nobody will see that unless they want to change the oil for me, which I don't think will ever happen.

I can't wait to see this truck on the road.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #15
cornerstone

Really looks nice man. Is that a factory color? Medium blue? What kind of spray gun did you use?

Brian
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:45 AM   #16
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Nice job Chris!!! Love that color!!
Thanks a lot! I like it, too and it’s on the list of potentials if I ever decide to make this a shiny truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Looks better than I could have done! I have runs in the paint on my engine block... But nobody will see that unless they want to change the oil for me, which I don't think will ever happen.

I can't wait to see this truck on the road.
Trust me, it’s not perfect, but I’m learning to accept flaws as character Engine will likely be the next thing painted—hoping for no runs, but I’m ok with hiding them, too.

It may be driving soon-ish? I feel like it’s gaining momentum and most of the big stuff is either bought or planned for. Just gotta stay focused...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Really looks nice man. Is that a factory color? Medium blue? What kind of spray gun did you use?

Brian
Thanks! The color is a very near match to the original medium blue poly, but in modern base/clear.

Believe it or not, this was a rattle can job; the base I had custom mixed at my local paint shop and the clear is a 2K hardened product from SprayMax. The clear is excellent and rivals the quality you get from “normal” 2-part paints. The can has a special nozzle that fans the spray pattern which makes the paint lay really nicely. Not a cheap spray bomb, but perfect for this small job. I’ll have to break out the HVLP when it’s time to squirt the firewall.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #17
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

With the paint cured, I started sticking things in holes. The way Retrosound has you install the radio, the knobs stick out from the dash too far and look funny, IMO. I used a set of factory AM radio mounting cups instead of their supplied washers/spacers along with modifying the faceplate and brackets to tuck the knobs in as close as possible to the dash. Much better, now

Still not sure on how I feel about the faux dial screen protector. I’ll leave it stuck on there for a while and see if it grows on me...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #18
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Hmmm, maybe I’ll order one of these screen protectors instead; it looks a bit more appropriate for this era truck:
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 AM   #19
smbrouss70

Looks way better than a single DIN radio in there. How does it sound?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Looks way better than a single DIN radio in there. How does it sound?
Unknown at this point, and probably for a while. It’s just mounted, not yet wired. Lots to do before I get to hear any sound outta this thing. Currently no battery, wiring harness, or fuse box installed.

First up, finish body work and paint firewall and engine, then install drivetrain for the last(?) time

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #21
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the dash repair and the engine Chris!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #22
knomadd

Nice work so far Chris! The dash is looking good.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #23
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the dash repair and the engine Chris!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice work so far Chris! The dash is looking good.
Thanks dudes! Moved on to final clean, prep, and paint on the engine. Gotta say, I’m digging it
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 11-17-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #24
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Thanks dudes! Moved on to final clean, prep, and paint on the engine. Gotta say, I’m digging it
What did you use to clean and prep the engine for paint?

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #25
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
The firewall and valve covers look great! Keep at it..
Thanks, Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFMECH View Post
Chris, it's been ages since I've been on here and I have to say it looks great bro, can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks Mike, too! Hopefully soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C10_ustacould View Post
What did you use to clean and prep the engine for paint?
Sorry for the delay, hope it’s not too late. Initial clean was with oven cleaner to get rid of the gunk, then simple green/power purple/whatever skin-eating acid cleaner I had around with various brushes, rags, scrapers, and implements, then final prep with laquer thinner and 3M scrubbies. Lots and lots and lots of time spent in all of the little books and crannies.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)