The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
hb32

Re: How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Right you are. Found some new caps and thin trim rings on ebay. Looking for a white bumper. Took big back bumper off yesterday. My neighbor says if I make it to fancy I'll just sell it. Gotta keep it. Too nice to sell.
Caps and rings?? Need to see some pics and also bet the truck is a couple hundred pounds lighter without that bumper ;-)
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb32 View Post
Caps and rings?? Need to see some pics and also bet the truck is a couple hundred pounds lighter without that bumper ;-)
Hey dodger. Bought rings and caps on ebay. Will post some pics after mailman delivers. Ya the bumper was heavy. Took two of us to lift it. LOL!!
Old guys ya know.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
EVBuilder

I just got it in March and have had a bunch of trouble keeping it on the road. There was a bunch of cobbled stuff in this thing. Primarily wiring, which melted on me twice and now I am rewiring the whole thing. I also had the rear axle out of it I had to rebuild it. I had to upgrade the master cylinder to a dual because it was converted to front disc before I got it but they didn't think that was necessary. It also had a booster on it that didn't work so I eliminated it. It had a set of bucket seats that were so close to the steering wheel I could barely get in so I changed those out to some seats from the third row of a Montana van. It has been more work than I wanted to do to it right after buying it but It will better for it in the long run.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Vernski

EVBuilder what's the story on the spotlight's are they real one's or dummys. I like your truck the color is nice. I have a 65 custom lwb fleet the wiring was a nightmare had to replace it front to back the wires ran along the frame were rotted and the taillight's had bad grounds to top it off. Anyway mine is in my avitar that's the way she looked when I first bought it, still not done a ways to go yet....Vernski
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
EVBuilder

The spot lights are dummy's, unfortunately There are holes for the screws or they would already be gone. There was a number of things the PO did to this truck that I am systematically removing or undoing. The diamond plate mud flaps for example are gone now as are all the skull knobs, skull inside rear view mirror, and skull license plate frames. I replaced the mirror with the one that goes to my 62 Tempest. I was shocked to see pictures of trucks with the same mirror. They must have been pretty universal back then. I am doing something a little different with the wiring in mine. I took the under hood fuse and relay center from a 99 Montana van. I also have a seat glide. I am making a drawer for the fuse box to mount into the glove box. that way I can slide it out far enough to get to the back of it for any future additions to the system. This fuse box has a head light relay in it already as well two electric fan relays which I am using from the same van. It also has 6 main line fuses that I can use to power the ignition and the original fuse box and have a main fuse to avoid any more fires. I may start a build thread on that as things start to shape up as many people are intimidated by electrical work.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Nice truck. I like your idea of mounting the fuse panel where it can be reached. Not mounting mine in the glove box area is one of the few regrets I have with my truck. I'm old now with a bad back and knees, and wish mine was located where it could be reached by sitting in the passenger seat.

I hope you took before pictures when it had all that junk on it. Nice to have them for comparison after it's fixed the way you like it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
EVBuilder

Thank you for the compliment. It will be nicer as things begin to take shape. But for now its a driver so the changes are more about reliability. Once I get done the other two projects I would like to do a frame off on this one and make it as nice as it can and should be. The first project is a 1984 Bronco II I am building for my daughter to drive. There is a build thread for this in alternate tinkerings called F word stands in the way. I must admit I have not posted anything new in a while so it may be a few pages back now. Once I get my truck done so its more reliable I will be back at it. After that truck is done I have the Tempest.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBuilder View Post
Thank you for the compliment. It will be nicer as things begin to take shape. But for now its a driver so the changes are more about reliability. Once I get done the other two projects I would like to do a frame off on this one and make it as nice as it can and should be. The first project is a 1984 Bronco II I am building for my daughter to drive. There is a build thread for this in alternate tinkerings called F word stands in the way. I must admit I have not posted anything new in a while so it may be a few pages back now. Once I get my truck done so its more reliable I will be back at it. After that truck is done I have the Tempest.
If you haven't already, you should post pictures of your other projects in this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=307064
Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
C-10cutty

Here are a couple of my '62 I picked up last week.

Contrary to what it says on the bumper, it is NOT for sale.
Attached Images

Last edited by C-10cutty; 05-12-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
irish1966

Ha ha! I've done it. I went home after 4years here in the states and for the first day I had to think about it. But, if u wanna learn how to drive stick and how to drive fast on VERY narrow roads, you need to go to Ireland. The west and South produce some great rally cross drivers.

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
geezer#99

I was driving in NZ. Once i learned where the stick was then the challenge was to speed shift. Got 2nd gear rubber a couple times driving a Turdota. LOL!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
REDNOSE65

...not mine.

LOS HITTERS C.C
DALLAS, TEXAS

The making of a Red Nose...
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=396518
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
REDNOSE65

Not mine...

LOS HITTERS C.C
DALLAS, TEXAS

The making of a Red Nose...
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=396518
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNOSE65 View Post
...not mine.

That is bada**, I love the side pipes.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

reminds me of the palimino tan color that the gmc's used.
I like it.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
strokerPop

Yeah ! that's it! That's a good looking 55. Always loved the old color combos on shoebox Chevy's 55 thru 57's. The Coral color seemed to fit me.....kinda hides some body tweaks too. The body work on those long bed sides were a real pain to get straight.
Of course in hindsight, I wish I had brought the Shadow Grey all the way down to the window sills.

Thanks Strodder I appreciate you taken the time and posting the 55 Bel Air.

Imagine 18 years in build, and I just stumble on to this forum a couple of weeks ago. Been up to midnight a few evenings. Its great to be a new member.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #17
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I owned this 56 Belair for 23 years that everybody thought it was that Turquoise color, but it a Chrysler Peacock Green, or a teal.

KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT

Last edited by Strodder; 05-18-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
strokerPop

Sweet 56. I dig the hood louvers! Funny, that's what got me to this forum, Goodle-ing for louvers. I'm needing to repaint my hood and thinking nows the time to louver it, similar to how you did it. How did you have it done? I have learned that I can buy a replacement panel and weld it in? (E-Bay)

The 60-65 hood is so big, I would think, its a pain to move around in a louver press
Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerPop View Post
Sweet 56. I dig the hood louvers! Funny, that's what got me to this forum, Goodle-ing for louvers. I'm needing to repaint my hood and thinking nows the time to louver it, similar to how you did it. How did you have it done? I have learned that I can buy a replacement panel and weld it in? (E-Bay)

The 60-65 hood is so big, I would think, its a pain to move around in a louver press
Thanks. I had to strip the hood of the braces, and it had to be bare metal on both sides. I'm sure they could get it the press, depending on what kind they have. It's hard to find shops that do louvers, and does them right. Check these guys out. They're near you.
http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/Louvering.html
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 05-18-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerPop View Post

Now is the time if you’re needing to repaint. I had my 46 Ford sedan done back in the 80’s by a guy in San Jose. The rules at that time were:

1. Bare metal both sides, so there can be nothing hidden to mess up the dies.
2. No welded areas where the louvers go. Work hardened metal can ruin the dies, and not punch cleanly.
3. Any bracing needs to be removed.

Not a very good picture, but this was my result:

I did my research, and was also fortunate – he was very good and knew what he was doing. He was also twice as expensive, and worth it. He told me horror stories about a guy in Tracy that messed up many hoods, and the owners would come to him wanting him to fix the damage (which was impossible). I had this confirmed first hand. At numerous rod runs, guys that had their hoods done in Tracy would come up to me asking where I had mine done, since theirs was ruined.

Before letting anyone poke a hole in your precious sheet metal, make sure to see several other examples of their work. Things to look for on a bad louver job:

1. Staggered rows – the louvers are not directly in alignment from the front louver to the rear louver, whether straight back or punched at an angle. The line zig zags.

2. Louvers are not kept in alignment. Different from problem 1 above, the edges of the rows may be straight from front to back, but the louvers twist left to right on the centerline, leaving the distance from outside edges is closer on one pair and farther apart on another.

3. Dull dies – the louvers are torn into the metal rather than cut cleanly. This shows up most on the outside corners as jagged metal, which is somewhere between difficult and impossible to make right.

Virtually anything can be louvered successfully if the throat is deep enough on the press, and the hood is adequately marked and supported during the punching process.

Louvers are an art form, and I’ve seen far more poorly executed louvers than good ones. The care, attention, prep, enthusiasm and integrity of the guy doing the job is critical to a happy outcome.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #21
Hickup pickup

Wow , Imagine if this thread was edited by the monitors so that it was only a picture gallery of 60-66 chevy/gmc trucks instead of a discussion thread (How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks) how cool would that would be!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hickup pickup; 05-18-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
daverod
SSN 706

Hickup you're not a Lawyer are you?

Last edited by daverod; 05-18-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickup pickup View Post
Wow , Imagine if this thread was edited by the monitors so that it was only a picture gallery of 60-66 chevy/gmc trucks instead of a discussion thread (How about some pics of 60-66 Trucks) how cool would that would be!!!!!!!!!
This forum is also about helping each other out. Not just for looking at pictures. Why start a new thread for a couple of posts?
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
strokerPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickup pickup View Post
My apologies Hickup........I'm a newbie. I'll get the hang.....just loved those louvers on that 56 Chevy!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
Hickup pickup

No, i'm not a lawyer, I just was imagining, ya know. And Stroker I was not aiming at anyone inparticular And by both by posting and replying in this thread I am just as guilty don't ya know.