The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

Going fancy I see.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
67chevy1series

If the 67 wasn't so low I would keep the stock truck pan, but since it's static dropped and I cant air it up if there's something in the road I would rather have the oil pan tucked up above the bottom of the crossmember so I decided to go with the ctsv pan. There's some other parts I'm going to use from the car LS motors instead of the truck to make it look cleaner/simpler under the hood as well.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
67chevy1series

Alright so today I stopped by my local GM parts house and got the torque converter bolts and bellhousing bolts so I can get the motor and Trans mated. By the time I came back home UPS had already brought my oil pan "kit", yesterday I had already bought a new oil pan gasket and filter so I got all the torque specs for the oil pick up tube, windage tray, oil pan. I removed the stock pan and I was very pleased to see it was actually pretty clean in there, so I removed all the parts and installed the replacement parts on. Everything went pretty smooth. So I bolted the motor and Trans together and stuck them in the truck. Tomorrow I'm going to tighten all the bolts upandget the oil cooler gasket, my new ps didn't come with the oil cool delete bracket? Plate? Whatever you call that little cast aluminum ock off, so I'll have to reuse the one off my stock oil pan and get a new gasket.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Ol Blue K20

Rick, are you going to run the computer and injection with this?

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20

Sounds like you're making headway. Have a great Christmas Rick.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
67chevy1series

Thanks you Dale, I hope you have a great Christmas too. How has your k20 coming? It's been awhile since I heard anything about it.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Thanks you Dale, I hope you have a great Christmas too. How has your k20 coming? It's been awhile since I heard anything about it.
Thanks Rick, I'm parts rich for Blue... since I discovered that the frame was worse than I thought. I bought a rolling K20 frame a 71 C20 Cheyenne parts truck (that runs and I'm using it around the ranch) and a bunch of other parts. So I will start on it soon. I'm putting my girlfriend's 93 Pacetruck back together. We just had it painted and I've been getting my 97 Z71 dependable and since my K30 blew a motor coming back from the cabin. I've been building it a 454. Besides work I've been busy....plus making my famous apple pie (this years batch broke 105 proof) for the holidays. Going to the cabin and enjoying some snow for the first time in a few years. Did I bore you yet?

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
67chevy1series

Looks like all the trucks are getting attention! Hopefully the 97 doesnt put up too much of a fuss. I bet you'll have loads of fun with your apple pie up at the cabin haha
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Looks like all the trucks are getting attention! Hopefully the 97 doesnt put up too much of a fuss. I bet you'll have loads of fun with your apple pie up at the cabin haha
Yeah, they're getting attention. The 97 I inherited, it's a low mileage truck that's been sitting. It's the most expensive free truck...lol. But I think I got it taken care of. It's been 3000 miles without a problem. This years pie is areal butt kicker and I'm already having funwith it. We had some at lunch at work yesterday and not a lot got done after that.....lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Rick, nice to see a new LS motor going in your truck. I like the oil pan upgrade you did. I wish I had done that on mine too.
Couple of questions,
Why aren't you keeping the stock fuel injection? What's with the AC bracket modification?
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #11
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hey Rick, nice to see a new LS motor going in your truck. I like the oil pan upgrade you did. I wish I had done that on mine too.
Couple of questions,
Why aren't you keeping the stock fuel injection? What's with the AC bracket modification?
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Thanks! After seeing a friends truck in person with the stock truck pan I knew with how low the 67 is that I would need to change the pan in order to help save that oil pan from damage. If I had bags instead of a static drop I may have not worried too much as I could always air it up.

As nice and well as the stock GM fuel injection is and though I feel capable enough to install the computer/harness/ fuel systems required to run FI, I just can't seem to get around the look of them under the hood. It's kind of hard to explain because there are many LS swapped c10's that retain the stock GM Fuel injection that I think are really nice trucks such as yours, I just always liked/wanted that vintage look for my 67, while still having updated components, and I figured if I ever went with an LS then I would try my best to make it still look old school and like a 60's small block, I'm just a fan of that look. I also figured I can still run fuel injection with the old school small block look later on which is probably more of a when then a if.

The AC compressor bracket is clearances for my motor mount swap plates and motor mounts.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #12
67chevy1series

Ordered my MSD ignition controller. I'm not very fond of the mounting on the front of the intake, so I have another plan, going to build a bracket to mount it somewhere else on the motor. Pictures/progress to come
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
As nice and well as the stock GM fuel injection is and though I feel capable enough to install the computer/harness/ fuel systems required to run FI, I just can't seem to get around the look of them under the hood. It's kind of hard to explain because there are many LS swapped c10's that retain the stock GM Fuel injection that I think are really nice trucks such as yours, I just always liked/wanted that vintage look for my 67, while still having updated components, and I figured if I ever went with an LS then I would try my best to make it still look old school and like a 60's small block, I'm just a fan of that look. I also figured I can still run fuel injection with the old school small block look later on which is probably more of a when then a if.
Trust me, I understand your sentiment. I don't really care for the look of the huge truck intake on the LS style engine. Or the coil packs on top of the valve covers. For me it just came down to reliability and drivability.
I think the look of a stock small/big block is really cool too. I had some bad experiences with carburetors in the past. That also swayed me to go fuel injection.
There is no doubt about the popularity of the modern motors in these old truck too.
They are everywhere....back when I started my build (2009) there weren't near as many of them.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
67chevy1series

Me and you have that in common, I started building the 67 in 2009, and I do agree reliability/drivability goes hand in hand with fuel injection. I remember when I started building my truck there were very very few LS swaps going on with these c10's
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #15
Ol Blue K20

Any progress is good. Keep it up.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
67chevy1series

Here's some pics of the bracket it's not super impressive or anything but it should get the job done, still need to prep the bracket and paint it semi gloss black to match all other brackets/pulleys witch the intake, carburetor, and original 67 air cleaner it should be a little in disguise still need to do the pink(power) and yellow (tach) wires and but for the most part it's going to work out fine.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
67chevy1series

Today I went and bought new spark plugs and plug wires, new ones didn't come with the boot heat sheilds so looks like I'll be searching for a used set, I know there not really needed but I would feel more comfortable since I'm going to run headers. Going to get the intake and a new water pump next.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
Ol Blue K20

Baby steps = progress and progress eventually leads to completion

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the truck. The LS will be a great power plant for you. Nice score on the more door! That will be a sweet ride!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #20
67chevy1series

Well after back orders and stuff like that finally my intake, headers, holley FEAD brackets, water pump, steam port vent lines, Lokar shift cable are all on the way. Bought a new 140 amp alternator and new thermostat+ gasket as well today. list is getting smaller..
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #21
Ol Blue K20

It always is nice when the list get shorter. My list keeps growing lately.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #22
67chevy1series

My list started at a decent size and then I started doing more research and then it spiraled out of control as per usual lol. Well all my part showed up today! Still waiting for the intake... Never again will I trust "more then 10 available" again! Well figures now I've got parts to make some progress but now it's raining... Tomorrow I'm going to stick the 67 back in the garage and try and get some work done.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #23
chewychevy67

I like that you are attempting to keep an original look under the hood. That is not always easy with modern stuff. Especially 67 stuff.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #24
Ol Blue K20

That's a nice pile of parts. We're supposed to be slammed pretty hard by this storm here. Expecting one to two feet of snow at my cabin. Your neck of the woods is getting hit hard too. I hope you can get it in and get some work done.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 AM   #25
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I like that you are attempting to keep an original look under the hood. That is not always easy with modern stuff. Especially 67 stuff.
you know more then anybody how odd and how many one year only parts are on 67 GM trucks, Ive always liked how different they are, there like a custom truck yet there still factory, and I think that is one of many reason I love the 67's as much as I do. I like a lot of aspects about a original 67-72 c10 and I really wanted to keep the original "stock" theme under the hood as well on my 67. I know it's only original once... But it's the thought that counts right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
That's a nice pile of parts. We're supposed to be slammed pretty hard by this storm here. Expecting one to two feet of snow at my cabin. Your neck of the woods is getting hit hard too. I hope you can get it in and get some work done.
your telling me that pile was a sight for sore eyes! Been busy working on my brothers 72. We are definitely getting hit over here it's been crazy windy and pouring throughout the day... Almost reminds me of forest gump "the rain came in from all directions.. It even seem to go up" however, when I woke up this morning it had stopped raining so I ceased the chance and proceeded to get the 67 in the garage, and as luck would have it as soon as I got the 67 in the garage it started raining! So long story short got the 67 in and started getting parts on! Got the new 2010 camaro water pump on along with the new thermostat and water pump gaskets. Then I busted out the holley FEAD brackets (part number 20-135) and the spacer bracket for truck/10' camaro spacing on and torqued down as well (part number 21-3). Holley has very very nice instructions! After that I pullled out the alternator... It was the 145 amp one but it was the wrong year, I asked for an alternator for an 05 silverado 1500 w/5.3 and they gave me a 2006 style with the different plug. So I called them up, they are the same price so they told me to just go in and swap it out for the right one, so I'm waiting on that before I can install it and get it wired up. After that I went onto the transmission. I pulled the pan off a week or so ago and put in a new filter and gasket... Problem is a PO of the transmission had stripped the hex head of the drain plug. So I just took the pan off and let it drain the messy way, after I got the pan off i realized I had 2 choices.. Never use the drain plug and always have to get a new gasket, or get a new pan that doesn't have a destroyed drain plug and nut. So I got a new pan and put that on along with my Lokar shifter cable kit. The cable kit went fairly smooth except for having the wrong colum mount bracket, the bracket I got was for a 2" diameter column and my GM tilt column is 2-1/4" so I got the right bracket on the way. And last but not least I did a test fit of the headers. these headers are awesome! I do have a problem with the motor mounts... Not like I'm the first or last with these problems, so I'll see what I can do, little modification to the motor mount towers/brackets, (whatever they are called) and I should be good to go.
Attached Images