The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx289 View Post
(In all seriousness,my mouth started to water,thinking about WV cold medicine. )

Hope you feel better Keith.

Tom
Thanks Tom I am feeling a lot better. I can't wait to get this bed mounted but will have to wait until the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Now you get to cut it up!!
Yes sir just trying to figure out how much I have to cut it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Glad your feeling better, the smooth bedside are going to be sweet..
Thanks Jason, yeah they are really nice and won't need much work at all to get into paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Keith, the bed looks great! Did you have any issues with the front bed panel?
I just had to wallow out some of the mounting holes to line up with the bed sides. Other than that it fit perfectly. I have to say I'm really impressed with the aftermarket bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from on this comment. I had no idea had much time it takes to restore, primer, paint every part of one of these old trucks. I have build many trucks in the past but never to the details of my current bottemless money pit. Unlike you, I have plans on doing many more complete restorations. I am a glutten for punishment.
Really, it's just my getaway in the winter.
This is my first frame off resto and I didn't realize it would take this much time and energy to do, so I'm really soured on it. All I want to do is drive this truck, so much so all I want to do now is primer the rest of the gray panels black and put it together and drive it. In the future I will save up to buy a better starting foundation before jumping into it.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
This is my first frame off resto and I didn't realize it would take this much time and energy to do, so I'm really soured on it. All I want to do is drive this truck, so much so all I want to do now is primer the rest of the gray panels black and put it together and drive it. In the future I will save up to buy a better starting foundation before jumping into it.
I hear you on this... I bought my 71 back in 2000 and at the time I did not really have the budget to buy a really nice one to start with so I bought a basket case. I got it running and drove it a while, fixing it up a little as I went, mostly fixing things that broke on her almost daily. Finally I tore it apart for a full resto in 05 or 06 and she is still not back together. Sometimes I wish I would of never tore her all the way down or wish I would of saved and bought a better foundation to start with but I look at it like this: The best part about starting with a rough truck is when your done you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you put one back on the road that might not have had a chance otherwise.

Keep at it and when you hit that ignition for the first drive and you get out on the road it will all be worth it!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I think I'm going to save my money and just buy n2billet, superfly, and Delmo left-overs from here on out. Hmm, I may need to find a second job!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like some killer progress on the truck Keith. I love the rear disks and gas tank. Hope to do the same upgrades on mine one of these days.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Bennett68C10

No real progress this weekend, I got the bed bolted together on the floor before coming down with the flu. I have spent the rest of the weekend in bed

66 Suburban

Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
jeh

Quote:
No real progress this weekend, I got the bed bolted together on the floor before coming down with the flu. I have spent the rest of the weekend in bed
Glad your making progress on the bed, as far as the flu bug, that makes a rough few days!! If you were closer I could give you a quart jar with some WV cold medicine in it
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Glad your making progress on the bed, as far as the flu bug, that makes a rough few days!! If you were closer I could give you a quart jar with some WV cold medicine in it
Thanks Jason, I'm feeling a lot better today. Snapped a pic of the bed bolted together on the garage floor.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
jeh

Quote:
Thanks Jason, I'm feeling a lot better today. Snapped a pic of the bed bolted together on the garage floor.
Glad your feeling better, the smooth bedside are going to be sweet..
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
mx289

Quote:
(In all seriousness,my mouth started to water,thinking about WV cold medicine. )

Tom
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
jeh

Quote:

Tom
Mine too, I had a little red raspberry last night. ( preventative maintenance )
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Now you get to cut it up!!

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
sduckworth13

Keith, the bed looks great! Did you have any issues with the front bed panel?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
mikeleeshields

Keith i completely hear you on getting it primered and put back together to drive it. That is the point where I am at too.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
mcbassin
Still Learning

The bed looks great Ketih. You can have this thing back together in no time.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
superflysteiny

All I can say is keep driving on it. I have been were you are several times and all I can say is pace your self its not a sprint it a marathon. I have had to learn this over my last 4 builds. Hang in there
superflysteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
mx289

Keith,I know you were looking for a tailgate,there is a nice used one listed on the parts board.I believe Homebuilt Hotrods is selling it.

Tom
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Keith,I know you were looking for a tailgate,there is a nice used one listed on the parts board.I believe Homebuilt Hotrods is selling it.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I will check it out.

66 Suburban

Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Bhelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysteiny View Post
All I can say is keep driving on it. I have been were you are several times and all I can say is pace your self its not a sprint it a marathon. I have had to learn this over my last 4 builds. Hang in there
Well said Eric!!
Keith your doing a great job on truck and I wished I'd went deeper in to mine as you are yours. Bed looks great btw....keep on trucking and take a break when you get frustrated
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
trkfrk

Keith the bed looks great! I understand exactly where your coming from. I took almost a year off my build, It gets overwhelming. You are doing a killer job!

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Bennett68C10

Thanks for all the encouragement guys and I apologize for complaining so much. I feel like that is all I have done the past 10 pages or so of my thread. I won't lie, painting this truck definitely scares me because as you guys know I have never painted anything and this truck will be my first adventure into it. I just want it to come out nice as that is what this truck deserves but I'm afraid I'll do a poor job. Oh well we will see what happens

I do know that I have decided that the only color it should be is red. No matter what colors I flirt with I know down the road I will always want it to be red. So no point doing anything else. I see mcbassin jumping for joy right now I also decided to keep things simple due to this being my first paint job I'm going to do Solid Red, no white grill or anything else. Should look similar to my picture below. I'm going to concentrate on getting the body as straight as possible and hopefully it turns out decent. Stayed tuned guys as I finally nailed down my plan.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #21
Rusbuilt

The body work is the hardest part! You're going to do fine my friend!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
CC69Rat

Keith - I know, I know, .. it's so tempting to put them together in primer and just drive them for a little while.. BUT. IMO, it's one of the worst things you can do. I think you have Epoxy primer on most of this truck as I remember but, just saying..

With Epoxy primer and high build in places .. just a final slick coat of primer yes it will look cool but think about all the crap from the road slinging up along side of it. All the moisture that the high build could possibly absorb, contaminants, bird crap, Tire Shine from the dude next to you at the show..

Not trying to talk you out of it just saying .. this is why I am going to try and refrain from driving mine until it's completely painted. I want the base substrate to be as clean as possible and sealed away. With a solid Epoxy base and quality materials you'll probably be ok but just my luck there will be some Armor All specks in the primer I miss then .. f1$h eyes!!! ..

It's not that difficult to paint, it's the bodywork under it that's the labor intensive stuff. Just remember the paint is only going to be as good as what's underneath it.

.. my .02

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
jmking9

I was in the same frame of mind before I painted mine. I was so nervous about it not living up to my expectations. But trust me, put in the time with the prep work, and you will amaze yourself. Look at it this way, no matter how frustrating the whole restoration process can be, you are going to have one killer truck when you're finished. One that you will always be able to say that YOU built! My .02

Oh, and you may have already said, but are you going with base/clear or single stage?
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #24
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
It's not that difficult to paint, it's the bodywork under it that's the labor intensive stuff. Just remember the paint is only going to be as good as what's underneath it.
Painting is the little bonus at the end of all the hard work it took to get there. You can physically paint a truck in one or two hard days. Hell, in a couple hours if it's single stage
I dig that rendering....RED!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #25
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
The body work is the hardest part! You're going to do fine my friend!
The funny thing is the bodywork doesn't scare me at all, I guess it's because I have done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Keith - I know, I know, .. it's so tempting to put them together in primer and just drive them for a little while.. BUT. IMO, it's one of the worst things you can do. I think you have Epoxy primer on most of this truck as I remember but, just saying..

With Epoxy primer and high build in places .. just a final slick coat of primer yes it will look cool but think about all the crap from the road slinging up along side of it. All the moisture that the high build could possibly absorb, contaminants, bird crap, Tire Shine from the dude next to you at the show..

Not trying to talk you out of it just saying .. this is why I am going to try and refrain from driving mine until it's completely painted. I want the base substrate to be as clean as possible and sealed away. With a solid Epoxy base and quality materials you'll probably be ok but just my luck there will be some Armor All specks in the primer I miss then .. f1$h eyes!!! ..

.. my .02
Thanks Chad I think I'm on the right track now, I'll try not to let my crazy brain derail it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I was in the same frame of mind before I painted mine. I was so nervous about it not living up to my expectations. But trust me, put in the time with the prep work, and you will amaze yourself. Look at it this way, no matter how frustrating the whole restoration process can be, you are going to have one killer truck when you're finished. One that you will always be able to say that YOU built! My .02

Oh, and you may have already said, but are you going with base/clear or single stage?
Thanks, I have your thread saved as I often look to them for inspiration. I know you were in a similar boat as me with paint experience and yours turned out awesome. I'm going to go with a BC/CC as many of the guys on here directed me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Painting is the little bonus at the end of all the hard work it took to get there. You can physically paint a truck in one or two hard days. Hell, in a couple hours if it's single stage
I dig that rendering....RED!
Thanks Mike I knew you would like it.

66 Suburban