The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #151
Dinos63
chevy only

Re: It's just a work truck!

Oh man sorry to hear about the windshield, I can call my guy and check a price for ya , dino
Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #152
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
Originally Posted by don64 View Post
I saw this truck at the 67th and Bell show last night. This is one of the nicest "WORK TRUCKS" I have ever seen. For any members going to the Brother's Show and Shine you need to stop by and check out this truck. Keep in mind that this whole build was done in his garage. Nice work guys!
x2
Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #153
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeay View Post
It looks like your paint turned out well but an FYI to other people painting in a garage, it really helps with the dust if you wet your floor down. It captures the dust from the paint instead of kicking it up onto the vehicle. You do have to be really careful so you don't get the water on the vehicle when the hose drags across the floor. I've painted lots of cars in my dads garage and they usually come out pretty good. Even in a paint booth you will still get some dust in the paint. That's what buffing is for right, haha
Posted via Mobile Device
We are not painters, but we seem to wing it. I heard about wettting the floor, but someone said the humidity in the air could could affect the way the paint goes down. We have the tailgate & the bed lid left to do so I think I will try it. Oh, we also have my Bros 63 swb to do next. A few pics of the airbrushed trim going on. Then 4 coats of clear, sand & buff.
Attached Images

65 old school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #154
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I think it looks totally awesome when the trim is painted on with such realism - such as you have done. Superb!

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #155
zippeay

Very nice! You could be right about the humidity but I don't think so because there are companies that make paint booths with waterfall systems. Those work much better than wetting the floor obviously but it is the same principle basically. I would hate to give anyone bad advice but I honestly have done it probably 15 times from Cali to South Carolina "which is extremely humid" and I didn't have any problems. My biggest problem is that I paint and do all my body work in the same spot so it creates a lot of dust and no matter how good I clean it's always there. Your paint came out really well so I wouldn't worry about it, it's just my preference. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the other truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #156
McMurphy

Any chance of getting a mini-how-to on painting trim like that?
I think that is just too cool.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #157
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
Oh man sorry to hear about the windshield, I can call my guy and check a price for ya , dino
Thanks Dino, But I was at Bell Glass on monday getting my windwings cut and installed. I asked about the crack in the windshield. Why it cracked with such a little hit? Wayne said he has been doing this for 50 years and these are the worst windshields he has seen. There all made in China or Mexico. He can get 2 brands in locally,When he does he will look them both over to see if he can tell which one might be thicker. $185 installed. Thanks anyway!...
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #158
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I'm very impressed. I'll have to read the complete thread tonight. Can't believe I haven't seen this yet. There's so many builds going on I can't keep up. The truck looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #159
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
I'm very impressed. I'll have to read the complete thread tonight. Can't believe I haven't seen this yet. There's so many builds going on I can't keep up. The truck looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Alan, Means alot from you! I chose the Hugger orange from looking at your build page. your truck turned out great!. What outstandimg detail on your page. that shows with the GIANT number of hits on your site. I'm sure we all got something out of your build!... THANKS A BUNCH!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #160
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Thanks and glad you found my thread usefull. Keep up the great work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #161
twich3136

OUTSTANDING BUILD THEAD! makes me wish i was home to work on mine! i had a thought for you though dealing with your antenna. if you happen to have issues with it getting damaged you could replace it with a retractable version that hides out of the way when your not using the radio. 2 cents. i love your truck. oh! question. i noticed what looks like a receiver behind the license plate? any chance i could get some pictures of that? i plan on using mine a lot but i don't want an ugly dingleberry hanging off the back

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #162
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by twich3136 View Post
OUTSTANDING BUILD THEAD! makes me wish i was home to work on mine! i had a thought for you though dealing with your antenna. if you happen to have issues with it getting damaged you could replace it with a retractable version that hides out of the way when your not using the radio. 2 cents. i love your truck. oh! question. i noticed what looks like a receiver behind the license plate? any chance i could get some pictures of that? i plan on using mine a lot but i don't want an ugly dingleberry hanging off the back
Thanks, a couple pics of the hitch (not very good).. I picked up a used hitch for $10. I don't know what it was off of, but it was too wide to bolt up to this frame. So I cut a few inches out and welded it back up to fit. Put it tight up against the rollpan and cut the hole in the pan. I found a longer slide-in to get the ball out past the bumper at a swap meet. I made a slide-in to bolt my license plate to. Hope this helps....
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #163
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Any chance of getting a mini-how-to on painting trim like that?
I think that is just too cool.
The trim and the pinstripping are the only things my brother and I didn't do. I paid a local guy to do that before we clearcoated the truck. I'm sure you could find it on line somewhere..
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #164
chad64chevy

i think it would have looked bad a$$ if you would have had him air brush/ pinstripe the custom cab sail trim pieces on both side of the cab!! i think this is the second truck i have see that has the trim air brushed, i like it alot and if i could afford it i would be doing the same, we'll see!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #165
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by twich3136 View Post
I am going to guess that USMC is US Marine Corp, and you are not home to work on your truck because you are deployed... Your friends north of the 49th appreciate your commitment, and service. Thank you.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #166
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
I am going to guess that USMC is US Marine Corp, and you are not home to work on your truck because you are deployed... Your friends north of the 49th appreciate your commitment, and service. Thank you.
Yes sir, THANK YOU for your service! Our daughter is in the USMC in Hawaii. She just got back for the second time over in that sand box.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #167
65 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
i think it would have looked bad a$$ if you would have had him air brush/ pinstripe the custom cab sail trim pieces on both side of the cab!! i think this is the second truck i have see that has the trim air brushed, i like it alot and if i could afford it i would be doing the same, we'll see!!
Thanks, When the striper showed up, I showed him one I had and he wasn't too sure how it would turn out. So I said no, I will buy new ones. O.K. get your fingers off the keyboard, I know these are the wrong year for this truck, but I like these stainless ones better than the aluminum ones... the job was cheeper than the new trim would have cost, even with the pinstriping!...
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #168
CRGRS 66

I like

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #169
jimmydean

Man, I LOVE that color!
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #170
don64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 old school View Post
Thanks, When the striper showed up, I showed him one I had and he wasn't too sure how it would turn out. So I said no, I will buy new ones. O.K. get your fingers off the keyboard, I know these are the wrong year for this truck, but I like these stainless ones better than the aluminum ones... the job was cheeper than the new trim would have cost, even with the pinstriping!...
I think they look good. Who cares if they are not the right ones for the year of the truck. How is that tailgate turning out? Brothers is just around the corner.
don64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #171
65 old school

I'm painting the tailgate right now. posting between coats. One more coat to go. I can say it's not some of my best work. I'm a truck driver, not a painter thats for sure! It should be just fine after sanded, cleared and buffed. hell, ( IT'S JUST A WORK TRUCK! )....
Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #172
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 old school View Post
i'm painting the tailgate right now. Posting between coats. One more coat to go. I can say it's not some of my best work. I'm a truck driver, not a painter thats for sure! It should be just fine after sanded, cleared and buffed. Hell, ( it's just a work truck! )....
shhhh-t your paint work is slick
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #173
Dinos63
chevy only

you ready boss!! i cant wait geez
Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #174
65 old school

thanks Dino, NO! I'm not ready. I'm off all next week, so I will be out in the garage all week trying to finish up all the little odds & ends. we're still leaving friday morning early for Brothers. Going to drive strait to Gaylords in Santa Fe springs Ca to be there at 8am when they open to swap this lid out. then hang out with some family and friends.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #175
65 old school

Front end going back together.
Attached Images