The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #151
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: No Regrets - The Rebuild post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Looking good chuck. Do you ever go to Fastnal in TR? I think we passed each other as I was leaving the store. I drive a red 2000 Z71 Tahoe. I reconized your mint green burb.

What shop is doing the body work on your truck? Mine is at a body shop in Mendon.

When will you have color on the truck?
Marc-
I sometimes go to Fastnall... when I have to! But if you saw the burb, well, that was me. Kind of hard to miss in this town. Anyway, I had a guy that lives right off Fisher Lake doing the work on the body for me, but we have since had a falling out; I don't know who's going to finish it for me now, but it will be a while anyway before I get to the paint stage again. I've been hoping to have it all back together (with paint) by the summer but I'm not sure if that's going to happen right now.

How far along is your project? must be getting close if you're working on the body.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #152
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Marc-
I sometimes go to Fastnall... when I have to! But if you saw the burb, well, that was me. Kind of hard to miss in this town. Anyway, I had a guy that lives right off Fisher Lake doing the work on the body for me, but we have since had a falling out; I don't know who's going to finish it for me now, but it will be a while anyway before I get to the paint stage again. I've been hoping to have it all back together (with paint) by the summer but I'm not sure if that's going to happen right now.

How far along is your project? must be getting close if you're working on the body.
It was only a few weeks ago during the week that I ran to Fastnal a little past noon. I bet it was you.

I grew up at Fisher Lk. Out of curiosity what is the lastname of the person? The funny thing is my body/paint man lives at Fisher Lk as well.

I am the closest that I have been in the 7+ years that I have been working on it. It will be in paint in another month or so. We are getting all of the gaps set and the hood to fit.

I plan on ordering some Intro wheels 20/22. Yours look sweet.

If you are looking for someone to paint your truck I can take you to meet my guy some Saturday. His prices are very resonable and he is a perfectionist. He as a maroon 65 Vette that he restored and painted. It is a good example of his work.

Thanks
Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #153
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post

I plan on ordering some Intro wheels 20/22. Yours look sweet.

If you are looking for someone to paint your truck I can take you to meet my guy some Saturday. His prices are very resonable and he is a perfectionist. He as a maroon 65 Vette that he restored and painted. It is a good example of his work.
Mark -
The guys name is Adam Guthrie (sp?). He lives over on Seekle RD right next to Randy Baker's storage barn. He also works for Scott Cadillac once in a while and puts in docks and lifts for people... so you might know him. However, I do not believe he is originally from these parts.

Anyway, when I get closer to paint I might take you up on getting to know the guy you're using. Thanks!

4Runner Build
Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #154
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Mark -
The guys name is Adam Guthrie (sp?). He lives over on Seekle RD right next to Randy Baker's storage barn. He also works for Scott Cadillac once in a while and puts in docks and lifts for people... so you might know him. However, I do not believe he is originally from these parts.

Anyway, when I get closer to paint I might take you up on getting to know the guy you're using. Thanks!
Chuck-

My guy (Jim Wise) lives around the corner from Adam on Seekle. When I mentioned your project and that it was done around the lake Jim mentioned the location that you are speeking of. I have know Scott Caddilac for years. Jim and Randy Baker are also friends. Small world.

I did mention your truck and I sent Jim a few pictures of it when you had it all assemble in primer with the intro wheels. I wanted him to have picture in case you guys met.

Good luck
Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #155
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Great build, I wish I had some medal working skills.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #156
smashingchuck

Look ma, NO JACK!!

The Good news: after wrestling with the hard line for what seems like quite a while now, she finally can stand on her feet!

The Bad: it's leaking on the front right somewhere...

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 12-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #157
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Lookin good, when are you putting the body on?
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #158
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Lookin good, when are you putting the body on?
putting the body on?

I have to plumb the brakes, run a fuel line, wire the valves, and.... um... I want to run the exhaust before I put it back on. However, it was awfully tempting to put the cab back on today, just to get it out of the way for a while. All in all, I'm guessing I'm still 3 months out- and then I have some more body work to do on the front clip... and also totally redo the inside of the bed.

Anybody got any ideas on how to do the brake lines? I think I also am going to need an aftermarket prop valve... so again need some ideas. I would also like to do the brake line in stainless. The kits I've seen seem kinda expensive. All I really need is the line and fittings... and maybe another freaking flaring tool.

4Runner Build
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #159
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chuck. I redid my 84 K20 brake lines from Classic Tube in Buffallo NY. the tubing is just like factory but in stainless and they fit like a glove. Only problem I had was behind\under R/F motor mount. They cost $299 but I figure I'll not live long enough to worry about them rusting out again. BTW, did you ever get your hands on the guts for your tailgate? I'm pretty sure I have the latches and rods. I know I have at least 1 set but they are in a truck and will have to be stripped out and the other parts are in the garage someplace. Let me know at "jmcclur2@nycap.rr.com" and I'll see. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #160
Inverter

Man,Im glad I found this.Ive seen your avatar on FSC but never a build thread. Maybe I just wasnt looking hard enuff.
Love the crossmembers,very nice design and fab. May not be what your looking for but Im using an under dash brake unit in my '98.Have some photos of the prop n stuff in my thread,sig is the link.
Nice Build,Hotrod trucks FTW.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #161
smashingchuck

Jim-

I'm not sure that a standard kit is going to work for me with the brakes. Remember, the M/C is under the dash, which will probably give the prop. valve a more "central" location so everything jives. I'm also starting to rethink my M/C choice.... I'm thinking I need to upgrade the M/C to something "new and improved".... but I just don't know what that would be. As for tailgate guts... I think I did end up getting them last year in an LMC Truck order... man I've sent them a lot of $$$.

Inverter-
I've been watching your build as time goes on... looking good man. I might try to use one of those valves that you have... $5 more for a SSBC one.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 02-08-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #162
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chuck: I didn't even think about the MC's new location, yet another senior moment. LOL. As you can see mine is box stock, so the lines fit well. Looks like you'll be making lines to fit. Stainless in a bear to work with, but the results are well worth the effort. I don't even want to think about the money I have spent on mine. I should have done a rebuild thread as you have done while I worked on it. All the sheetmetal except bed floor, cab floor and rear inner fenders are all OEM GM metal. The cab is origional, but rebuilt. I have (at last count) about $14,000 into it, and being on SS disability makes it even tougher. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I figure about $1000 more and everything will be done. If you find you still need the guts for your tailgate let me know. Might take a while to get them out, the spare truck is under 4 feet of snow. God, I hate winter. Jim
Attached Images

1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #163
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Chuck, Inline or Classic tube sells "rolls" of stainless. get some coat hangers or welding wire and mock up where you want the lines to go and then add a foot for measure and order what you need along with the fittings.

In the past if you send them a mock up, they would bend a set for you...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #164
smashingchuck

Jim-
I've got the tailgate guts.

Chris-
Thanks I'll check them out.

4Runner Build
Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #165
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

OK Chuck, glad you have them. Anything else comes to mind let me know. mabey I can help. jim
Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #166
smashingchuck

Well no updates today, but I have managed to get the spark plug wires made over the last week. They turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I spent this morning at the swap meet, and left empty handed. I also swapped the carb on the 87 to a 600 that I scored off craislist, and helped a friend put a fuel line in his project truck right down the frame rail. We used some more of the 3/8 stainless that I have left over.

I've also starting planning my exhaust... there's another $500. I'm starting to see why there are so many 1/2 finished projects for sale.. I feel like I'm hitting a wall when everything I need is $500 or more... and the end isn't even in sight yet. The only thing really keeping me motivated is that I have got to get this thing out of the shop so I can work on other things. Well, that's an exaggeration, but this project is really starting to drag on. Enough complaining, I'm off to go have some fun with the boys.

4Runner Build
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #167
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chuck. Man do I hear what your saying. I priced the steel and aluminum I need to install the winch and build the belly pan\runningboards. $600. They aren't going to charge me to do the cutting I need done, but they are going to charge me to have a plate bent. The steel is kind of cheap, but the aluminum, ouch!! A 4X8X5\16 sheet is over $300. Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #168
menace121978

chuck, awesome build up man! love how you are doing it a 2nd time to fix every little detail! looking sick w/ those wheels.

thank you for your help in my threads. really apprieciate it!

just now i want to learn to weld too! LOL Dennis

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #169
Chlsnk

Do you have any progress pics from doin the chop top?
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #170
smashingchuck

Exhaust is next. As usual, it's a can of worms. To figure out where the tips would go, I had to put the bumper on. To figure out where the bumper goes, I had to put the box on. I still have lots and lots of work to go for all the things mentioned, but here's some pictures of the mock up. I plan on adding a 1" strip across the bottom of the opening to frame in the tips and giving it a more finished look.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 12-07-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #171
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

looking good
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #172
smashingchuck

A few steps forward, a few steps back....

After I got the bed on to mock up the exhaust tips, I couldn't help but start tearing into it. The inside was a complete disaster from one of the morons I paid to do some work for me..... so it's gone now.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 12-07-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #173
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Man you took it all out.. Good luck with the new floor..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #174
ceruzziracing

Chuck, do you have a link or write up/pics on your chop top? Did you use two tops to do the job? Thanks
ceruzziracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #175
smashingchuck

Welp, just read through my own thread for the first time and...

MAN!! I had no idea I was getting in this deep that day I pulled the truck in the garage to pull the motor! What a journey it has been (and I didn't even start from the beginning)!

Anyway... the weather has been super nice around here for the past month or so, and things like the yard and floating down the river have been taking up my time free time. However, this week I finally got off my butt and took the truck to get some stuff done. I'll have an update in the next few days. Here's a pic I snapped after I loaded it on the trailer... it of course started to rain as soon as I pushed it out of the shop.

Oh yeah, one more thing I noticed when I was reading my thread, Thanks for all the compliments everyone!!

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 12-07-2009 at 06:54 PM.