The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #151
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

Re: My Truck

cool!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #152
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Got in touch with U.S. Body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
He also said that the mold is an older design and since there was no quality control originally in the factory, it's even more difficult to match the shape.
That's such BS.... When you make a mold, you don't make it of of a POS, you make it off of a perfect part. The kind of money they charge that hood ought to be absolutely perfect. Sounds like they are just too lazy to make a good mold.....sorry for the rant.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #153
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: Got in touch with U.S. Body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That's such BS.... When you make a mold, you don't make it of of a POS, you make it off of a perfect part. The kind of money they charge that hood ought to be absolutely perfect. Sounds like they are just too lazy to make a good mold.....sorry for the rant.
Exactly. They probably used some old hood that was rusted out and completely shot to make the mold. The edges suck miserably, there's no uniform tapering to the front corners of the hood or atleast neither of them have the same roundness to them, the cut on the rear of the hood sucks, and there's small cracks and deep sanding grooves all over. And when I say deep sanding grooves I mean it, water could make tiny rivers all up and down it. There's no uniformity in the shape of it at all. Needless to say, I'll never be doing business with them again.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #154
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Does anybody make steel cowl hoods for these years? Seems like they forgot the 60-66 Chevy Trucks
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #155
redsean

that sucks about the hood. thats why me and a buddy built his, after we saw 2 of them. it took a week end and it came out better than thiers. and we used nothing but 60-66 metal. the cove on the back of the cab is the back of the scoop.hahha goog luck with the truck its lookin great(love the valve covers,and the color)
sickindustries.net has the build of the hood if you want to check it out
keep up the good work
redsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #156
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Does anybody make steel cowl hoods for these years? Seems like they forgot the 60-66 Chevy Trucks
No one even makes regular steel hoods for these years let alone a cowl version. They're so complicated compared to most hoods that companies don't want to build them. I'd much prefer to have put a steel one on it because then I could atleast take measures to prevent it from rusting or atleast slow the process greatly.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #157
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsean View Post
that sucks about the hood. thats why me and a buddy built his, after we saw 2 of them. it took a week end and it came out better than thiers. and we used nothing but 60-66 metal. the cove on the back of the cab is the back of the scoop.hahha goog luck with the truck its lookin great(love the valve covers,and the color)
sickindustries.net has the build of the hood if you want to check it out
keep up the good work
Thanks for the compliments man. And I would have just built one but there wasn't a single hood around that could be seamlessly put together and last a long time. They were all rusted to hell and back.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #158
TwiggyTheDrummer

Today I picked up a tube of SeamSealer along with a gallon of Fiberglass. I was able to fill the bed seams, fix all of the remaining dents that have shown up while the panels were stacked, fill the hole for the tailgate chain pivot bolt and seal them with etching primer. We also fixed the dents in the passenger side front cab pillar and made the back side of the cab on the driver's side match up to the door. I also get to work on it tomorrow because the girlfriend's out of town. Plans for tomorrow include spraying the bed liner onto the inside of all of the bed panels, starting to assemble the bed, welding in the roll pan, and getting the front bumper primed up for paint.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #159
TwiggyTheDrummer

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #160
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

what are you using for a gas tank
BTW its lookin good
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #161
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
No one even makes regular steel hoods for these years let alone a cowl version. They're so complicated compared to most hoods that companies don't want to build them. I'd much prefer to have put a steel one on it because then I could atleast take measures to prevent it from rusting or atleast slow the process greatly.
I just got a brain fart. What if a steel cowl hood from a donor car was welded to the stock hood. I'm going keep a look out for a 70-72 SS Chevelle hood.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #162
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Granted they are complicated compared to the rest. What gets me is they can repop a complete cab for an early 50's truck. They don't make them yet because there is not enough demand yet, but we are coming on strong. That's just MHO. I think they we be repopped soon. Probably after I work out my hood issues.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #163
Strodder
Daring to be Different

That would be our luck huh, Allan
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #164
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Hey man, if you're planning to go to FSU look into going to Tallahassee Community College (where I'll be going the first two years) It's right down the road from FSU. Plus, I need another person my age interested in older trucks somewhere around here. Lol. Also looking for a room mate sometime soon. Let me know. Trucks looking wicked too!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #165
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Great looking truck! Are you going to lower it? Disc brakes?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #166
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dylan View Post
Hey man, if you're planning to go to FSU look into going to Tallahassee Community College (where I'll be going the first two years) It's right down the road from FSU. Plus, I need another person my age interested in older trucks somewhere around here. Lol. Also looking for a room mate sometime soon. Let me know. Trucks looking wicked too!
I'm not exactly sure what the plan is yet but I know I'll be going to Community here for two years and then a university. And thanks man.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #167
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Great looking truck! Are you going to lower it? Disc brakes?
Thanks man. I'll probably lower it later on, right now I'm just focused on restoring it completely and getting it perfected and show-worthy before graduation. Lowering it is one of those things that I want to wait on till a little farther down the road. And I actually plan on keeping the drums and sooner or later adding a booster kit and leave it at that.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 AM   #168
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
what are you using for a gas tank
BTW its lookin good
Thanks man. And I'm using a under-bed tank that will come through the floor with a Horkey's Locking Filler cap.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #169
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have yet to buy one but these guys make steel cowl scoops that can be welded on your hood. But it sounds as though you can't find a good original hood?
http://www.thespeedcenter.net/SpeedC...meFrameSet.htm
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-08-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: forgot link
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #170
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Granted they are complicated compared to the rest. What gets me is they can repop a complete cab for an early 50's truck. They don't make them yet because there is not enough demand yet, but we are coming on strong. That's just MHO. I think they we be repopped soon. Probably after I work out my hood issues.
Exactly. Our hoods are ornate and more complicated than almost any other hood out there, but they're still making very difficult parts that are harder to make.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #171
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I have yet to buy one but these guys make steel cowl scoops that can be welded on your hood. But it sounds as though you can't find a good original hood?
http://www.thespeedcenter.net/SpeedC...meFrameSet.htm
I wanted to use a original steel hood and do custom touches on it but every hood I came across was rusted out and would require lots of bondo which probably wouldn't last through the paint booth.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #172
LILRED66
Account Suspended

twiggy:

Nice work. I am looking forward to see your continued progress and keep up the good work.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #173
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
twiggy:

Nice work. I am looking forward to see your continued progress and keep up the good work.
Thanks LILRED. I should have it done sooner or later.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #174
TwiggyTheDrummer

I didn't get any work done today but my buddy Doug was able to get the bed liner on along with starting to assemble the bed. I should be able to get some pics of it soon, hopefully.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #175
TwiggyTheDrummer

Talking Update!

We fixed the hood as best as it come out and got everything lining up for the most part. Also got the bed together and lined/painted with the exception of the tailgate, wood and strips. Roll pan's welded on and bolted up to the rear cross sill. It's looking great.

Completely drained the first gallon of paint.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-13-2009 at 05:02 PM.