The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #151
rustbucket66

Re: Canadian Rustbucket 66

Here is a pic of the wheels close up. The rears are 15x10 and have old style T/A L 50's on them. I've had these old things in storage for probably 25 years, and have 3 more. I think I will have to use them up. The front ones are 15x8 and have G 50s but they aren't good enough to use. I will have to have something safe on the front. I don't like to mix tires but I have to use these rear tires up somehow.
Attached Images

rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #152
66farmer

Looking great. You should be on the road in no time.
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #153
rustbucket66

Continuing on the fuel tanks. The box is at the painters right now. I have the large piece of styrofoam pretty much the dimensions that the tank needs to be. There will be 2 1/2 inches added to the front of the tank, as the felt pen marks show. I made the hangers for the outside of the tank that will fasten to the tank strap underneath. The top of these little brackets will use the carriage head bolts from around the outside perimeter of the box floor on the topside to fasten to. There are bolts holding the top of these brackets for now to measure and mock up where they will be. Now working on the inside brackets, and the tank straps for under the tanks. The sender is just laying there, it will need some modifications to make it work. The beer can is where the filler neck will be. I think this makes good use of the available space in that area, and the area between the framerails at the back can have a spare tire.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #154
Bomp

Looking really good. Coming together nice and clean.
Like it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #155
rustbucket66

Continued on the fuel tanks. I have the inner brackets built and mounted to the frame. The strap goes around the bottom in 3 places, as shown. The 3 rubber pieces on the floor go between the box brace pieces and the tank on the top. The bottom straps will have some thin rubber between the straps and the tank on the bottom. There are nuts welded to the lower part of the brackets, inner and outer, for a bolt to go through the strap and into each one from the bottom. The styrofoam for the passenger side tank sitting on top the rails is made to size, and fits in there nicely. Now, to take the syrofoam pieces to the fabricator guy, and get some stainless ones made exactly the same. Also install senders, fittings, and filler tube on each.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #156
66farmer

How much will the two tanks hold.
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #157
rustbucket66

The steel tanks that were in there last time held a little more than 18 gallons each. Our gallon (Imperial) is a bit more than the U.S. gallon, although now we buy our fuel in litres. I think they will hold about the same this time. The old tanks were rusty and had to be scrapped. Stainless this time.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #158
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
The steel tanks that were in there last time held a little more than 18 gallons each. Our gallon (Imperial) is a bit more than the U.S. gallon, although now we buy our fuel in litres. I think they will hold about the same this time. The old tanks were rusty and had to be scrapped. Stainless this time.
18 imperial gallons would be 21.6 US gallons (us gallon is 4/5's of the imperial gallon

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #159
rustbucket66

Just got my door panels back from the painters. They are brown, as the interior is, and silver in the insert where they had white paint from the factory. Doesn't really look silver in that photo, but it is. Installed dynamat on the backside and ready to install.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #160
rustbucket66

With the door panels here I was able to mark where the window switch will be mounted. I'm using this aluminum plate to cover the hole that was cut out of the door to install the one piece glass kit. The hole has flat bar welded around the perimeter of the hole, and there are a couple of rods welded on the inner and outer door skin for strength. I've mounted the electric window switch, and after testing the window a few times, I riveted the plate to the door. Next, glue on the round rubber that goes around the sides and bottom. Install the door panel and the handles. The window handle looks like stock, but just goes up and down an inch or so to go up or down, and it springs back to centre. No cutting into the door panel to mount switches. Still have to get an armrest for it, the holes are filled so it can be mounted in whatever position it needs to be.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #161
rustbucket66

The window from the outside. It looks a lot different without the vent window in there. When you sit inside it looks kind of strange too, the window opening is so much larger, and there is no track to look through. Now to do the other side. I hope to get the windsheild in soon also.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #162
88Lt1wagon

That's awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 LWB 2 BBL 283 w/ T-5
'90 V1500 Suburban TBI 350 w/ 700R4
88Lt1wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #163
Jeff La

Man that's nice. Gonna have to try for that on my truck
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #164
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Coming along nicely

I looked, but did not see a mention of what kit you used for the one piece windows.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #165
Bomp

Really dig the nice clean look of the one piece door glass.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #166
coulter

wow that window / window switch setup is awsome!!!

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #167
rustbucket66

Thanks for the comments fellas. The one piece glass kit was from No Limit. The installation instructions were very vague at best and it is a real bear to install. Lots of adjustments and taking parts in and out of the door a hundred times or more. I made a list of 20 or so tips that aren't in the instructions that I think would be helpful. I'd share them with anyone who wants them. They aren't gospel, but it helped me. You will need a welder for sure. Last night was a big night, got the windshield installed and set the hood on. A couple of friends polished the windshield trim for me and helped me install it. I am very grateful. The thing took a good hour and some foul language to get it in. Two of us have experience installing windsheilds, but we struggled for a while. We put it in top first because if you start on the bottom, the rubber hits the cab where it protrudes out at the top, before it gets to the pinchweld. We had suction cups and lots of lube, but the new rubber and window was a tight fit. I'm very happy to have it in finally. We installed the hood afterward, and it still needs lots of adjustment, lights, latch, rubber cover in the front, and wiring. It really changes the look with the windsheild and hood on. I sat in it for a while by myself, just glowing. Do you think that is healthy??
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #168
clemdaddy

i think its very healthy and part of the reward for so much effort. its nice to have friends that help out too.

truck is looking great. i really like the color choices and the door glass with the tinted windshield looks so smooth.

keep it going...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #169
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Such a beautiful truck.
There is no way I would risk running those old tires on it.
One blow out at high speed could end all your hard work.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #170
rustbucket66

A little more progress lately. I made this fibreglass piece to install along the bottom of the dash for A/C vents to go in, fuel tank switch, and the switch for the passenger side window. I didn't want to cut any holes in the dash. It still needs the holes cut for the vents and switches, and some bodywork and paint. There are felt pen marks where the outside 2 vents will be.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #171
Bomp

Nice work on the glass and trim install.
Thanks for mentioning you installed it top first. Helped me avoid a massive temper trantrum right there
I would sure like a copy of the helpful hints on the door glass if possible.
Even though Bompenstein isn't finished I sit and stare for hours but the wife says, "I have the crazies".
Great Job keep it up.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #172
rustbucket66

More on the dash extension peice. After some grinding and sanding I have clamped it in place under the dash, and marked the holes for the vents and switches.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #173
rustbucket66

I cut the holes out for the vents and switches, clamped the thing back on and put the vents and switches in to see what it will look like. It still needs body work, paint to match, and plumbing and wiring.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #174
rustbucket66

I am building a storage compartment out of fibreglass, behind the seat where the gas tank used to be. The gas tank brakets on the floor have been taken off previous to give a fairly flat surface to mount onto. I am making the mold, or plug as they call it, out of these pieces of styrofoam. They are glued together, and I have shaped and sanded them some. The second pic kind of shows how it will sit in there. There will be a lid than runs most of the length, and a piano hinge that will open the lid to store stuff in. There still needs to be some pieces added on in the corners, and I am thinking about integrating speakers on the ends. The last pic has some drywall mud on it to fill some of the cracks, holes and low spots.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #175
Bomp

Nice clean straight dash extension.
Like the storage box your making too. Will it have a secure lock set up?
Posted via Mobile Device