The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #151
77ChevySharkBite

Re: New member from DFW, first truck build not starting where I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak207 View Post
Yep! my mom only graduated high school, but my dad put himself through college at Rhodes in memphis TN, so he's always been a hard a*s about working for what you have, I hated it back then, but I love the fact that everything I have today is because I worked my a*s off for it! Feels good, but there's no way I was gonna go through college, just couldn't do it, wound up behind a desk anyways selling parts, but side jobbin it up, and building my own projects.
Yeah, your possessions mean a lot more when you have to work for them. You know it's truth but college isn't for everyone, and just because you don't go to college doesn't mean you can't be successful I know people that just graduated high school and there bringing home 100k a year at a minimum. To me it comes down to how bad do you want it.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #152
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Yeah, your possessions mean a lot more when you have to work for them. You know it's truth but college isn't for everyone, and just because you don't go to college doesn't mean you can't be successful I know people that just graduated high school and there bringing home 100k a year at a minimum. To me it comes down to how bad do you want it.
Yep! there's plentyyyyy of very successful people in this world that don't have the education, they're just hungry for it!

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
cyclefreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #153
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Yep! there's plentyyyyy of very successful people in this world that don't have the education, they're just hungry for it!
Heck man you could make a business out of restoring cars and trucks and doing it for reasonable prices, or anything it's really the sky is the limit I know it's a term that overused but it's still.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #154
cyclefreak207

Very true!

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #155
cyclefreak207

and when I say work my a*s off... my pants fall off what little is left of it!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #156
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Heck man you could make a business out of restoring cars and trucks and doing it for reasonable prices, or anything it's really the sky is the limit I know it's a term that overused but it's still.
Only problem is what makes the price reasonable while still making it worth it for the builder to make profit... ya know?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #157
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Only problem is what makes the price reasonable while still making it worth it for the builder to make profit... ya know?
Yeah, that's where it would become hard I won't argue with you there because it is a middle ground, you can't give your work away but you don't want to overcharge either. It's tough but I'm sure as you maybe became more known through your "community" you could end up starting to do work cheaper due to the fact your having consistent business.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #158
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Yeah, that's where it would become hard I won't argue with you there because it is a middle ground, you can't give your work away but you don't want to overcharge either. It's tough but I'm sure as you maybe became more known through your "community" you could end up starting to do work cheaper due to the fact your having consistent business.
Or people don't mind paying what you're asking for your work because it's quality.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #159
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Or people don't mind paying what you're asking for your work because it's quality.
People will pay for the quality as long as you can prove that you do it.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #160
cyclefreak207

Quote:
People will pay for the quality as long as you can prove that you do it.
But as a new shop I feel like most people would be skeptical about the quality/price value..

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #161
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
But as a new shop I feel like most people would be skeptical about the quality/price value..
Yeah I agree, but that's where like our trucks would come in handy showing that we can do the work and built a truck from the ground up, and then have other pictures of building other stuff. It's a tough industry to get in but the payoff can be mighty mighty nice.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #162
cyclefreak207

Hmmmm, little bit of an update, I'm thinking my distributor might have shaken itself a little bit, truck fires up and idles for a second and then dies. Turned up the idle, to no avail.

Guessing it's the distr. because my tach is also not working now, so assuming it shook itself and turned, disconnecting my tach lead as well.

Ideas? and if it starts and then dies out, it needs to be advanced correct?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #163
cyclefreak207

And I forgot, my inline fuel filter up by the carb was cracked so I replaced it with a piece of line, maybe i'm getting some clogging... I'll switch the filter tonight after work and run some cleaner through it

Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #164
chevy-fun

another texas guy here (arlington). sucks on your luck with the truck so far. hopefully things will come around. about truck not staying on. could be the crack on filter an air getting in. or like you said an distributor moved an just need to get timing back right.
chevy-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #165
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy-fun View Post
another texas guy here (arlington). sucks on your luck with the truck so far. hopefully things will come around. about truck not staying on. could be the crack on filter an air getting in. or like you said an distributor moved an just need to get timing back right.
Hope you get your truck going buddy. Welcome to the thread
Posted via Mobile Device

http://youtu.be/JYoQJYTXKqI

1984 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 "Project Platinum C10"
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Project Car"
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #166
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy-fun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytona08 View Post
Hope you get your truck going buddy. Welcome to the thread
Posted via Mobile Device
As of right now there is no in line filter up there should be, but is not, I will now hide my face in shame for neglecting to go pick up another one, maybe it's clogging :/

And for the distributor I'll mess with that right before I leave work. and turn my idle back down since that didnt help at all! lol

Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #167
Flatpat

Vacuum leaks seem to be the little gremlins that haunt me when one doesn't run right/won't idle.
Flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #168
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpat View Post
Vacuum leaks seem to be the little gremlins that haunt me when one doesn't run right/won't idle.
turned out to be distributor,

Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #169
cyclefreak207

Hey fellas, seems like I haven't been on here in forever now! No real updates with the truck unfortunately :/ the rebuild kinda tied up my bills for a while, plus I'm looking at picking something new up!

A buddy at a shop I sell a lot to called me and informed me of an IMMACULATE 98 BMW 740IL for sale for $600 with blown headgaskets... Normally I wouldn't be interested since I don't mess with Euro stuff, and BMW says it's a 32 hr. job for the gaskets, and it would take me longer since I've never messed with a bimmer. But I found another motor up here at work that I'll pick up for a little less than $600 including tax, and a friend at another shop is going to do the swap for me for $500. So I'd be into the car for $1,700, and I have already found a buyer for $3,500, but he told me if I wanna get like $4,000 I can get it easily if I hold out for a week or so.

Then I'll be putting A/C in the truck, and lowering. leaving me around $1500 which I can pay bills/legal fees with, ORRRRRR find more cool stuff to do.

Definitely needs a new bench seat, tint, need to put my radio and speakers in, and whatever speedo cable I need to go from the 700R4 to my speedo.

Any other ideas I might want to consider?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #170
cyclefreak207

Oh, and forgot to mention I dropped a load of buckshot into a black yukon the other night after 'trying' to break into my truck. Hanging my work shirts in my closet, and I heard the distinct sound of one of my doors being slammed, looked through the blinds and saw the guy just start walking towards the edge of the parking lot where it makes a 90 degree turn that's another parking area. As I'm running out the door with the mossberg in hand he jumps in the back of a black 02ish tahoe, and then start pulling out the same direction he was walking from. So I yelled to stop, and they punched it, but caught a load of OO buck in their liftgate, tail light and quarter panel. They didn't tear anything up, and all my wiring is ziptied up under my dash so it doens't hang down, but now my tach doesnt work, so I assume he tugged on the wires and pulled one of those loose :/

And the scarriest part about all this, I was waittttttting for the cops to show up after unloading in the parking lot... they never came. That's the beauty of the **** ass neighborhood I now live in.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #171
Claytona08

Quote:
Hey fellas, seems like I haven't been on here in forever now! No real updates with the truck unfortunately :/ the rebuild kinda tied up my bills for a while, plus I'm looking at picking something new up!

A buddy at a shop I sell a lot to called me and informed me of an IMMACULATE 98 BMW 740IL for sale for $600 with blown headgaskets... Normally I wouldn't be interested since I don't mess with Euro stuff, and BMW says it's a 32 hr. job for the gaskets, and it would take me longer since I've never messed with a bimmer. But I found another motor up here at work that I'll pick up for a little less than $600 including tax, and a friend at another shop is going to do the swap for me for $500. So I'd be into the car for $1,700, and I have already found a buyer for $3,500, but he told me if I wanna get like $4,000 I can get it easily if I hold out for a week or so.

Then I'll be putting A/C in the truck, and lowering. leaving me around $1500 which I can pay bills/legal fees with, ORRRRRR find more cool stuff to do.

Definitely needs a new bench seat, tint, need to put my radio and speakers in, and whatever speedo cable I need to go from the 700R4 to my speedo.

Sounds like you got it planned out!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #172
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Sounds like you got it planned out!
I just don't know what to do after that! Paint/body is really gonna wait. I don't mind the rattle can flat black, gives it that tough DIY work in progress look that I love. Unless I just re-do the flat myselfff lol

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #173
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:

My suggestion would be to pay bills with the $1,500 you have left over so that you can get rid of those remember sooner those are gone the sooner you have more play money

That's my .02 take it for what it is, but I do agree you need to put a/c as we live in Texas the hottest and humidist(new word?) in America! and yeah of course do the drop!

Quote:
Oh, and forgot to mention I dropped a load of buckshot into a black yukon the other night after 'trying' to break into my truck. Hanging my work shirts in my closet, and I heard the distinct sound of one of my doors being slammed, looked through the blinds and saw the guy just start walking towards the edge of the parking lot where it makes a 90 degree turn that's another parking area. As I'm running out the door with the mossberg in hand he jumps in the back of a black 02ish tahoe, and then start pulling out the same direction he was walking from. So I yelled to stop, and they punched it, but caught a load of OO buck in their liftgate, tail light and quarter panel. They didn't tear anything up, and all my wiring is ziptied up under my dash so it doens't hang down, but now my tach doesnt work, so I assume he tugged on the wires and pulled one of those loose :/

And the scarriest part about all this, I was waittttttting for the cops to show up after unloading in the parking lot... they never came. That's the beauty of the **** ass neighborhood I now live in.
dang man! glad you caught them, sorry to hear the news but being you shot at them, pretty sure they won't be trying that again. They'll know next time they might not be so lucky! hopefully you can figure it out soon what was pulled to stop the tach from working.

Yeah that's sad bro that the cops can be like that.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #174
Claytona08

Quote:
I just don't know what to do after that! Paint/body is really gonna wait. I don't mind the rattle can flat black, gives it that tough DIY work in progress look that I love. Unless I just re-do the flat myselfff lol
The flat black looks good on certain applications! I say leave it and worry about other things right now. How low are you thinking about going?

Man that is crazy about having to run those people off!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #175
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Man that is crazy about having to run those people off!
I'm surprised he didn't go after them! Heck I know I would, my truck might not be the prettiest but heck it means the world to me so if it was to be touched it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off