The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
LT7A

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Well I really don't care what they look like or what they call them. I love chocolate sprinkles. They were my favorite on a donut as a kid.
I still greatly enjoy donuts of that variety. I may have to give it a week or two to forget Leon's description and then I can go back to eating them with reckless abandon. Or at least occasionally.

One of my buddies works for an Australian company and travels there occasionally. They call sprinkles: hundreds and thousands. My buddy told me that and I couldn't even make sense of it. But I watch an automotive YouTube show and they happened to mention them in passing as if it was a normal term that everyone would understand. From what I understand, it's the term they use for all sprinkles, but here is the only example I could find easily.
Attached Images

Last edited by LT7A; 01-23-2022 at 02:55 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I still greatly enjoy donuts of that variety. I may have to give it a week or two to forget Leon's description and then I can go back to eating them with reckless abandon. Or at least occasionally.

One of my buddies works for an Australian company and travels there occasionally. They call sprinkles: hundreds and thousands. My buddy told me that and I couldn't even make sense of it. But I watch an automotive YouTube show and they happened to mention them in passing as if it was a normal term that everyone would understand. From what I understand, it's the term they use for all sprinkles, but here is the only example I could find easily.
Dr. Oetker. Hundreds and Thousands? I would have never guessed sprinkles with that name. That name sounds like a busy gynecologist to me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

They are called "Jimmies" around here. We have a Jimmy Cone in town. One of two. This one is the second one. That is where our cruise-in night happens

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
They are called "Jimmies" around here. We have a Jimmy Cone in town. One of two. This one is the second one. That is where our cruise-in night happens
Jimmies???

That's just...

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
67C10Step

Wife and I decided to get out of the house Saturday and go check out some waterfalls. First photo is her driving through Car Wash Falls but it was mostly frozen. Second one is crossing Hurricane Creek. She was a bit nervous driving across this but I told her to just idle through and we made it without problem.
Attached Images

2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Wife discovered our water heater is rusted through and has started slowly leaking. Checked the two local sources and ordered one. Should be here in 3 - 4 days.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Most interesting thing I did today was figure out how many towels the last rental group managed to stain.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #8
LT7A

That looks nice! Good work on scribing to the wall.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #9
Willowrun

Quote:
That looks nice! Good work on scribing to the wall.
I agree...that's a great solution and execution.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:47 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Screeded a bunch of river rock to get the dirt and cypress needles out of that mess, and put the rocks on the parkway between the bigger rocks. My aching back! Didn't finish it off, I had a boneless leg of lamb on the rotisserie that I only wanted cooked, not burnt. I've had enough of that. I'm NOT a cook. This bad boy came out done all the way through, and not incinerated. I'm at a point where I realize that while I really like lamb, I like t-bones even more. Now, if that stuff didn't cost an arm and a leg...like the lamb didn't. I was at CostCo Saturday, and beef was at stunning prices.

As for the aching back, I'm looking at engine rebuild/replace options, and realizing that I'm probably not going to be able to do the work myself. Given that I don't like depending on other people to do my work, and that I used to be able to do it all, it's humbling to see that I'm simply getting old, and just can't do it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:21 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Let's see....

Daily reading.

Went to the library.

Mailed a renter $4.00 I had forgotten to refund to him after his checkout.

Inspected my ski condo.

Took my wife out to eat. We finally found a restaurant that was both open and served pizza (had great pizza).

Just decided on where to go for spring skiing. (Will be Vermont or Maine).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Thanks, LT7A. I was apprehensive about it, but got my head into slow down be the craftsman mode and it went fairly well. Back to the saw once for refinement cutting. That was the second piece, which I had to make a 20 mile round trip for and spend about $25 (oak 1 x 4 x 8'). The first piece was an old 1 x 6 I had in my stash. I had ripped it down to a closer width, carefully scribed, then went to the router to round the edges over. I wish I had routed the edge first. I found the right bit, was a small shank, so put it in a small router I have only used a couple times. Carefully got the depth set just right and sampled on some scrap wood. Good to go! It gets locked to depth with a paddle-type fastener. You know, flip it up to loosen and set, then flip it down to lock. I'm gliding it along the edge and notice the router is bogging more and more. lift it from the stock to see it was cutting deeper and deeper into the wood. Ruined it! The locking mechanism was not tight enough to hold it, and there was not enough width in the stock to rip and make another pass. How it got loosened is a mystery to me. Argh!!

Mark, that's clear like resin? That's a nice way to fill natural voids. I have a threshold in my house with a 4" long and probably 1/2" deep divit/knot/worm hole, or whatever it is. It's made from an attic floor board out of an old log place I did work on 30 years ago. I also made my stairs with that wood, oak. It's hard to clean that spot out and after 30 years I'm getting tired of it. Just the other day, after getting it good and cleaned out, I was at the hardware store looking for resin but that didn't have any. I used it on a kitchen countertop I made for for this artsy gal. She put glitter in the resin after I poured it. I'm working over there now and was looking at it. Not my thing, but pretty cool idea.

Today I spent about all day doing what I thought would be a simple morning job. Fixing it so mice can't get into under my kitchen sink and into the drawers. I did finally get it done, so no more cleaning chocolate sprinkles out and washing every utensil in the drawer. I had to be a contortionist to get it done. I'll be a hurtin' unit after doing that. Already feel it some in my neck and back. Damn mice!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-26-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #13
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So that's clear, like resin? That's a nice way to fill natural voids. I have a threshold in my house with a 4" long and probably 1/2" deep divit/knot/worm hole, or whatever it is. It's made from an attic floor board out of an old log place I did work on 30 years ago. I also made my stairs with that wood, oak. It's hard to clean that spot out and after 30 years I'm getting tired of it. Just the other day, after getting it good and cleaned out, I was at the hardware store looking for resin but that didn't have any. I used it on a kitchen countertop I made for for this artsy gal. She put glitter in the resin after I poured it. I'm working over there now and was looking at it. Not my thing, but pretty cool idea.

Today I spent about all day doing what I thought would be a simple morning job. Fixing it so mice can't get into under my kitchen sink and into the drawers. I did finally get it done, so no more cleaning chocolate sprinkles out and washing every utensil in the drawer. I had to be a contortionist to get it done. I'll be a hurtin' unit after doing that. Already feel it some in my neck and back. Damn mice!!
Epoxy resin for thick pours. I'm using just to fill voids . Then I'm going to sand the whole thing and use waterlox on it . Give it a nice satin sheen
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #14
Gregski
Post Whore

i luv this thread, and I was [ahem] finally forced to fix the stupid car alarm on my daughters Mazda 3 that started going off all by itself, you guessed it in the middle of the night

I followed this video, please check it out, you'll get a kick out of it:

Car Alarm Keeps Going Off - How To Fix It
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I agree...that's a great solution and execution.
Thanks! Wouldn't you know, I just got fired from my carpenter job because my borderline certifiable boss said I don't have a carpenter's skill set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Screeded a bunch of river rock to get the dirt and cypress needles out of that mess, and put the rocks on the parkway between the bigger rocks. My aching back! Didn't finish it off, I had a boneless leg of lamb on the rotisserie that I only wanted cooked, not burnt. I've had enough of that. I'm NOT a cook. This bad boy came out done all the way through, and not incinerated. I'm at a point where I realize that while I really like lamb, I like t-bones even more. Now, if that stuff didn't cost an arm and a leg...like the lamb didn't. I was at CostCo Saturday, and beef was at stunning prices.

As for the aching back, I'm looking at engine rebuild/replace options, and realizing that I'm probably not going to be able to do the work myself. Given that I don't like depending on other people to do my work, and that I used to be able to do it all, it's humbling to see that I'm simply getting old, and just can't do it.
I know how you feel. It's getting hard to do some things that toque on you back, and other muscles. But maybe you still can do that engine install pacing yourself... and wearing a brace!. I just did work under/inside my kitchen cabinet yesterday. Something I dread the thought of, same as working under the dash of a vehicle or leaning in under the hood to do mechanics. I had to be a contortionist to get my head, arm, and tape or screw gun inside that cabinet. I was hurting as I did it. I tightened up last night and knew what I was in for. I popped an Advil PM (also don't sleep so well, many nights) and it's not so bad today. I'm not sure if stopping or continuing and dealing with pain is best. So far I've been going with the latter
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Let's see....

Daily reading.

Went to the library.

Mailed a renter $4.00 I had forgotten to refund to him after his checkout.

Inspected my ski condo.

Took my wife out to eat. We finally found a restaurant that was both open and served pizza (had great pizza).

Just decided on where to go for spring skiing. (Will be Vermont or Maine).
Sounds productive. Especially making the plan for a ski trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
i luv this thread, and I was [ahem] finally forced to fix the stupid car alarm on my daughters Mazda 3 that started going off all by itself, you guessed it in the middle of the night

Good thing you didn't grab a gun and end up with the neighborhood locked down! It usually takes me about 5 minute working on a newer vehicle to start talking to myself, as well as the engineers who designed the vehicle chuckling all the while picturing me trying to get my hand back in there threading a screw using my index and middle finger! What ever happened to the advantage of opposable thumbs??!!

Tim

Old 01-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

K [Thanks! Wouldn't you know, I just got fired from my carpenter job because my borderline certifiable boss said I don't have a carpenter's skill set. ]

Carpenter's skill set? So what does he mean, you are NOT sloppy and fast? Profit above all else right?
You and I weren't brought up that way.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
K [Thanks! Wouldn't you know, I just got fired from my carpenter job because my borderline certifiable boss said I don't have a carpenter's skill set. ]

Carpenter's skill set? So what does he mean, you are NOT sloppy and fast? Profit above all else right?
That mindset is the reason that we get so many inferior products and services these days. Quality doesn't matter to these management types. Just pump out garbage as fast as you can.

Your ex boss sounds like a perfect example of this thinking. You're better off without having to deal with that nonsense.

I bought a new sofa and it came in a box. I had to put the legs on it. No big deal except the legs didn't even come close to lining up. How much trouble would it have been to get the holes in the right place?

I got some of those plastic pink flamingos for my new place. Yes I know they are silly and goofy looking but I like them.

They showed up in a bag with no packing at all and USPS had smashed them and they had no legs.

What the heck am I supposed to do with 2 legless crushed pink flamingoes?

Quality seems to be a thing of the past.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
LT7A

Quote:
That mindset is the reason that we get so many inferior products and services these days. Quality doesn't matter to these management types. Just pump out garbage as fast as you can.

Your ex boss sounds like a perfect example of this thinking. You're better off without having to deal with that nonsense.

I bought a new sofa and it came in a box. I had to put the legs on it. No big deal except the legs didn't even come close to lining up. How much trouble would it have been to get the holes in the right place?

I got some of those plastic pink flamingos for my new place. Yes I know they are silly and goofy looking but I like them.

They showed up in a bag with no packing at all and USPS had smashed them and they had no legs.

Sorry to hear... about the sofa... ; )
Old 01-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Mark, I like the vanity update. That sounds funny for some reason, but you know what I mean.

Tim, that sounds bogus about your job. You knew you were leaving, and apparently he just confirmed it for you. We could sure use somebody with your skills up here. I'm consistently coming across work that I could forward to somebody who does it well and reasonably priced.
Quote:

It wasn't that. Although he did claim I was costing him money. I could see, through other things happening, that he was feeling a financial crunch. I could say a lot about what I observed as reasons. After all, I ran a business successfully for 38 years. I only lost money that wasn't paid me. My jobs always produced profit. He could learn a lot from me, but anyway...

He convinced himself that I had no skills, didn't believe I was actually a carpenter, couldn't believe I ran my own business for 38 years. That is how twisted his insecure mind worked. He clearly has unaddressed issues. He says he's a genius carpenter. I told him if he actually was he wouldn't have to be telling me. My sister, and others, felt I intimidated him. Yet I always carry my unchallenging casual non-comparing not out to prove a thing attitude. It drove him nuts. Everything worried him. Blow it off, it will work out just fine, come out in the wash, and such are not in his vocabulary.

I cut a piece of trim 1" short, after being interrupted by the new helper as I was measuring. I asked him to hold up as I wrote the measurement down, then cut that measurement after he left. I wrote it down wrong, was already distracted when I wrote it down. I learned then to always remeasure after any break in the flow. I'm no spring chicken and am having to learn new ways to deal with such things that used to never happen. I've also worked alone since '05. It's such a common mistake there's a carpenter's term for it, I "inched it". Usually when that happens everyone laughs at the guy. To this guy had it stuck in his mind like a brain tumor. "So I made a mistake, don't you ever make mistakes?", I asked him. Apparently he thinks not, although I can name a few.

That was around Thanksgiving and things have been bad ever since. I got a talking to over that three different times. All seemed rehearsed, orchestrated. He said I could be making $10 an hour more and work all the hours I wanted. As it is, last year's wages summed up to a salary at $5 per hour @ 40hrs per wk less than I was being paid, due to his poor management, keeping the work flowing. About $12k less last year.

I got really focused, even started drinking decaf! I was on the ball and made no mistakes. He kept setting me up to knock me down, but I came through each time. At some point I could feel I was winning, his crap wouldn't work on me. It seemed to make him madder when I did better. I knew from the other guys that had left since I started that he has a thing about never firing, but making you want to quit. He's about a sadistic hateful maniac, no doubt. I'll be better off now. I'm glad it's over

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-27-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #20
LT7A

Quote:

Car alarms and fire alarms?!? What is going on down there man? You're sure your son's not playing tricks on you?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

I had a neighbor who's car alarm went off all the time. If I ever actually saw someone trying to steal that car I would let them.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #22
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Sorry to hear you got fired Tim. I’m sure with your talents you’ll rebound quick.

I bought some new rear shoes for the Camaro today. 275/40/ZR20 BFG Sport Comp 2’s. Pricey little bastards. Going to swap the fronts to another set of 9” wide rear wheels so I can run 275’s or 305’s all the way around.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Sorry to hear you got fired Tim. I’m sure with your talents you’ll rebound quick.

I bought some new rear shoes for the Camaro today. 275/40/ZR20 BFG Sport Comp 2’s. Pricey little bastards. Going to swap the fronts to another set of 9” wide rear wheels so I can run 275’s or 305’s all the way around.
The guy is very insecure. So insecure it oozes out his mouth . I could write a book, but I'll just say I knew the job was not a fit, was not the "historic preservation" job I ended my 38 year stint of self-employment to take, his personality is lacking, I'll be happier elsewhere, he did all he could to make me want to quit (including cutting into my money... 48-60 hours in 2wk period), I'm too smart to quit/strong enough to handle what he was dishing out, it wore him down instead, and he went haywire over a me asking a question. I guess that was a pamphlet right there . The guy was foaming at the mouth, literally! I will never forget that sight. Never seen such a thing. I was waiting for steam to shoot out his ears and make the factory whistle sound

Tim

Old 01-27-2022, 06:16 AM   #24
LT7A

Mark, I like the vanity update. That sounds funny for some reason, but you know what I mean.

Tim, that sounds bogus about your job. You knew you were leaving, and apparently he just confirmed it for you. We could sure use somebody with your skills up here. I'm consistently coming across work that I could forward to somebody who does it well and reasonably priced.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #25
Rich84

There was only one perfect Carpenter..
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote