The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
daverod
SSN 706

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

I guess you could call that a custom bug. That thing looks cool. Nice work on Zing cart frame. You should have put some bags on it.

Last edited by daverod; 04-17-2010 at 12:02 AM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

looking good.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I guess you could call that a custom bug. That thing looks cool. Nice work on Zing cart frame. You should have put some bags on it.
I believe it is a Lunar moth. Look at the eyes on the wings. It's its only defense. They look cool. Bags would be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
looking good.

Shannon came over and we moved some furniture so-to-speak. We spun the truck around so I could get some good light and room to start welding the fuel door on. Still fighting the low spot on the front lower corner. Tacking it in place all clamped up didn't work like I had hoped. I need to persuade it another way.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
daverod
SSN 706

Looks nice. Think I could fill my seam on my bed with seam sealer? or is that stuff too messy? I dont really want to weld it because I have already done a lot of the body work, and it seams like it would be really hard to grind smooth. You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.

Last edited by daverod; 04-18-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Looks nice. Think I could fill my seam on my bed with seam sealer? or is that stuff too messy? I dont really want to weld it because I have already done a lot of the body work, and it seams like it would be really hard to grind smooth. You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.
Seam sealer will work for how long I don't know. Auto makers use seam sealer on some roofs. I've seen it on Excursions and F250/350's It will more than likely to shrink and crack over time. It can get messy, but I think you have enough experience with a caulk gun. You going to use a 2 part seam sealer?

That moth has the life even tho it's a short one.

Here is a LINKY to some pics of the local cruise in today.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 04-18-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

So you can tell by that pic that it's a male moth.......

Quote:
You know that moth never eats it just lives for sex.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
scotts62
One day...

Holy crap that Moth is huge!!

Fuel door looking good!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Vernski

Quote:
Hey did you guys see markb01 post on JB-weld might be an another choice...Vernski

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367489
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
daverod
SSN 706

Guess I need to go buy a case of JB weld.

Last edited by daverod; 04-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
cl08

OK Alan. Some how I missed your thread. Since 9 am to 1:30 pm CST, I have read from 1-99 pages of posts. My eyes are burning like you wouldn't believe.

I think this is one of the nicest trucks I have ever read about. And the great part is, its all you and few buddies. NO BIG FANCY NANCY SHOPS, NO BIG NAME DESIGNERS, NO TEAM OF SOMEBODIES DOING THE WORK, and it is as nice as any shop could have done. I am truely impressed with your truck and build quality. I can only hope the ideas I have for the truck I would like to build, come out half as nice as your truck. Love the orange and dark shadow grey.

It has been a pleasure reading this entire build, keep posting and get it finished.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cl08; 04-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.
cl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

so I was thinking about this project the other day.... what is left? the bed, and I guess some little stuff? I'm thinking its getting pretty close....
what do you think?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Holy crap that Moth is huge!!

Fuel door looking good!
Thanks Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Hey did you guys see markb01 post on JB-weld might be an another choice...Vernski

Quote:
Guess I need to go buy a case of JB weld.
Let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl08 View Post
OK Alan. Some how I missed your thread. Since 9 am to 1:30 pm CST, I have read from 1-99 pages of posts. My eyes are burning like you wouldn't believe.

I think this is one of the nicest trucks I have ever read about. And the great part is, its all you and few buddies. NO BIG FANCY NANCY SHOPS, NO BIG NAME DESIGNERS, NO TEAM OF SOMEBODIES DOING THE WORK, and it is as nice as any shop could have done. I am truely impressed with your truck and build quality. I can only hope the ideas I have for the truck I would like to build, come out half as nice as your truck. Love the orange and dark shadow grey.

It has been a pleasure reading this entire build, keep posting and get it finished.

AWESOME TRUCK!!!!!!!!
Thanks Man, for taking the time to read my build. It's worth all the work and time it takes to document all of my steps when people like yourself can get something out of it. Your comments came at a great time. I've been down in the dumps for a few days. Your comments picked me up some. Depression is a lonely Bit*h. I won't be there long I hope. I can't stand it. It's very unproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
so I was thinking about this project the other day.... what is left? the bed, and I guess some little stuff? I'm thinking its getting pretty close....
what do you think?
I'm thinking I'm half way done. The list is still pretty long. I need $$ for a Mar-K tailgate, headers, bed wood, bed strips, SS bolts, glass, bumpers. Then need to finish up engine and the rest of the mechanical and electrical systems. Still need to repair the hood and weld the seems in the fenders then paint the front clip. Thats the majority of it not counting the little things.

No progress yet. Trying to work out the low spot in the bedside at the fuel door. I got to spend about 15 minutes on it this weekend. I'll get back in the swing soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thanks Scott
some. Depression is a lonely Bit*h.
I hear you there Alan, going to the box so many times has screwed me up. I'm being put out for PTSD and my back know.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Allan keep focused on your truck, and the depression will go away, at least temporally. You need to stay busy at some thing to take your mind off what is depressing you. It might as well be your truck. Kick that depression atta here.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
tommys66

Alan, every time I catch up on your thread, you add weeks to my build! I wasn't going to use a fuel door in the bedside, but I like how yours turned out so now I might cut one in too. Exceptional work once again!

I am glad to see you keep your head straight when you get bummed out. much better to go to the shop and do nothing if you have to, than turn to the bottle or a fake fix, keep it up man your truly an inspiration...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
cl08

Quote:
Thanks Man, for taking the time to read my build. It's worth all the work and time it takes to document all of my steps when people like yourself can get something out of it. Your comments came at a great time. I've been down in the dumps for a few days. Your comments picked me up some. Depression is a lonely Bit*h. I won't be there long I hope. I can't stand it. It's very unproductive.
Chief, I know the feeling. I have not even worked a project in over 6 years (VW beetle). That to me is depressing in its self. I have been a car nut my whole life. I eat sleep drink the automotive world. I want to build a truck so bad. Maybe one day......

Keep up the work, I will be reading on.
cl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
Vernski

Hi Allen just wanted you to know that IMHO your build thread is the best,and has inspired me and I'm sure allot of us Truckies to hang in there an keep going on there projects. Not only the great pictures, also a wealth of info on how to get things done and done right. If I ever get mine done you will always be a part of it for sure and thank you for that....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
I hear you there Alan, going to the box so many times has screwed me up. I'm being put out for PTSD and my back know.
Hope it all goes well and they take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Allan keep focused on your truck, and the depression will go away, at least temporally. You need to stay busy at some thing to take your mind off what is depressing you. It might as well be your truck. Kick that depression atta here. josh:
I hear ya. I get sad sometimes when I think of all the money it will take to get the truck on the road. Can't pay the bills as it is with the tiny checks I've been bringing home. A good paying side job would help out tremendously right now.

Quote:
I wish I could do that, but I dont have all the stuff nor the money to finish mine right now.
I hear ya brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Hey Alan ,Remember we are all pulling for you.
I get bad mood swings in the winter. SADD. Seasonal attitude disorder or something close. It goes away when the sun and spring time returns . I use a sunlamp when I am at the computer in the winter which seems to help. I find things that make me happy and just do it even if it is silly
My doc says that testosterone levels go down as men get older and that can affect moods . And the sun lamp helps the serotonin in the brain. Had a check-up lately?
It really bites to get older..everything is wearing out and I am just turning 49.-- hang in there!! bubba mm:
It's not SADD now it's MADD "Money Account Drained Down"

Quote:
Heck i'm only 28 and feel like i'm 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl08 View Post
Chief, I know the feeling. I have not even worked a project in over 6 years (VW beetle). That to me is depressing in its self. I have been a car nut my whole life. I eat sleep drink the automotive world. I want to build a truck so bad. Maybe one day......

Keep up the work, I will be reading on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Hi Allen just wanted you to know that IMHO your build thread is the best,and has inspired me and I'm sure allot of us Truckies to hang in there an keep going on there projects. Not only the great pictures, also a wealth of info on how to get things done and done right. If I ever get mine done you will always be a part of it for sure and thank you for that....Vernski:metal
Thanks Vernski!!

The fuel door is ticking me off. The door install is OK, but the bedside was lumpy to start with and the welding aggravated it. I've been chasing highs and low spots. I don't have my shrinking hammer at home. I'm not very good at shrinking yet. I've done some but need more practice.

First I tried putting some pressure out at the fuel door while drawing the wheel arch in with a rachet strap, while I welded the rest of the fuel pocket up. It didn't help.

The profile looks good until I put a straight edge on it.

This is the high spot was was chasing around. Had some tin canning going on. You can see some heat spots where I tried to heat shrink some by quenching it. It helped with the tin can some.

I cut slits in the BS to remove the tension on the metal. I got it tacked to gether and it helped a lot. Still not the way I want it, but it might stay that way.

Storms rolling in time to get off the computer.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
ruffrida2005

I wish I could do that, but I dont have all the stuff nor the money to finish mine right now.

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #20
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Hey Alan ,Remember we are all pulling for you.
I get bad mood swings in the winter. SADD. Seasonal attitude disorder or something close. It goes away when the sun and spring time returns . I use a sunlamp when I am at the computer in the winter which seems to help. I find things that make me happy and just do it even if it is silly
My doc says that testosterone levels go down as men get older and that can affect moods . And the sun lamp helps the serotonin in the brain. Had a check-up lately?
It really bites to get older..everything is wearing out and I am just turning 49.-- hang in there!! bubba
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #21
ruffrida2005

Heck i'm only 28 and feel like i'm 60.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Do you have a pin pull gun at home?
the bodyman I used to work with would use his pin pull gun on high spots to shrink them.
we welded in some flush mount door handles on a firebird, and I bet he put 50 shrinks in a 4X7 area..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I've been working on my truck this past week. I needed to finish the drip rail shaving and flaring. I ground some paint off the roof and found an inch of bondo. I ground it off, and started to shrink it. My friend that owns a Body Shop and is a master in metal work gave me some tips on shrinking. He said don't get it cherry red, and start from the inside of where the low spot is. Then spot cool it a little at a time. It seemed to work and took some time. Now it's only about a quarter of an inch low in only one spot. I think it OK for Bondo now. I'm impatient. My friend said he'll come up and give me a lesson. I'm going to hold him to it.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I gave him a FORD tailgate that I was installing on a FORD bed that was on a Chevy Truck. He shrunk the FORD raised lettering to a flat panel. He blew me away. It looked like he replaced it with a new metal panel.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 04-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
Do you have a pin pull gun at home?
the bodyman I used to work with would use his pin pull gun on high spots to shrink them.
we welded in some flush mount door handles on a firebird, and I bet he put 50 shrinks in a 4X7 area..
Mine is at work and it does seem to work good as long as you know what to do. I guess I need to practice and get on youtube to see how people do it. I've had 3-4 people show me and each one had a different wayof doing it. Like body work I've seen different ways people do things and adapt it to my style. I just don't do enough metal shrinking to get good at it.

Quote:
I've been working on my truck this past week. I needed to finish the drip rail shaving and flaring. I ground some paint off the roof and found an inch of bondo. I ground it off, and started to shrink it. My friend that owns a Body Shop and is a master in metal work gave me some tips on shrinking. He said don't get it cherry red, and start from the inside of where the low spot is. Then spot cool it a little at a time. It seemed to work and took some time. Now it's only about a quarter of an inch low in only one spot. I think it OK for Bondo now. I'm impatient. My friend said he'll come up and give me a lesson. I'm going to hold him to it.
I might need to fly out for that lesson.

Quote:
I gave him a FORD tailgate that I was installing on a FORD bed that was on a Chevy Truck. He shrunk the FORD raised lettering to a flat panel. He blew me away. It looked like he replaced it with a new metal panel.
Got any pics of that. Maybe you could video it if he schools you.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 04-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.