The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #176
McMurphy

Re: 66 c10 first timer build

Those Vetts were the last of a great era IMO.
In the 80s, like a lot of other makes, they went to sh!t in style and looks.

Like the GTO (and consequently the discontinuation of Pontiacs in general) stuff like that makes you want to find the board of directors and slap them up side the head for allowing junk like that to happen!

Performance is one thing, but a Corvette, a GTO needs to look like a freekin Corvette or a GTO.

[/soapbox off]

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1

Last edited by McMurphy; 01-05-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #177
Ta2Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Those Vetts were the last of a great era IMO.
In the 80s, like a lot of other makes, they went to sh!t in style and looks.

Like the GTO (and consequently the discontinuation of Pontiacs in general) stuff like that makes you want to find the board of directors and slap them up side the head for allowing junk like that to happen!

Performance is one thing, but a Corvette, a GTO needs to look like a freekin Corvette or a GTO.

[/soapbox off]
Here, Here!!! Preach it Brother!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #178
williamsboys

I'm right there with ya guys
Posted via Mobile Device
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #179
williamsboys

Anybody got any good cleaners they wanna share for cleaning intake manifolds. The one on my vette isn't really bad it's just not real cleanlooking like a new one. It's an aluminum edelbrock. I got my carb off getting it rebuilt so I've been cleaning on intake with brake and carb cleaner. It cleaned it ok just not like I want it. Any ideas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #180
allaboutchevelles

Hey williamsboys, I read in your post where someone was talking about measuring your new radiater support. I measured my new one tonight and mines off a 1/4 inch all together. So thats 1/8 inch on each side and I hope it doesnt affect to much. I almost forgot until right when I was walking out of the shop so I didnt check any of the bolt hole locations. I just hope they made it just a little shorter and all the bolts line up right. I got mine from Tommys truck parts.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #181
rustbucket66

As for the advice on the aluminum intake manifolds, here is what works for me. Bare aluminum is very porous, and soaks up antifreeze, oil, dirt. etc, very fast, and looks really bad. Sandblast the intake first, then an etch primer, then paint it with an aluminum heat paint that any restoration place should have in an aerorosol can. Now, the aluminum should be sealed and you can wash it off easily. If you get a spot that looks really bad, scrub it with scratch cloth, a little masking, and give it a quick touch up spray with the same paint. Much easier than trying to keep bare cast aluminum clean, and it looks just like aluminum.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #182
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
As for the advice on the aluminum intake manifolds, here is what works for me. Bare aluminum is very porous, and soaks up antifreeze, oil, dirt. etc, very fast, and looks really bad. Sandblast the intake first, then an etch primer, then paint it with an aluminum heat paint that any restoration place should have in an aerorosol can. Now, the aluminum should be sealed and you can wash it off easily. If you get a spot that looks really bad, scrub it with scratch cloth, a little masking, and give it a quick touch up spray with the same paint. Much easier than trying to keep bare cast aluminum clean, and it looks just like aluminum.
Ok great idea. Didn't think about painting it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #183
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Hey williamsboys, I read in your post where someone was talking about measuring your new radiater support. I measured my new one tonight and mines off a 1/4 inch all together. So thats 1/8 inch on each side and I hope it doesnt affect to much. I almost forgot until right when I was walking out of the shop so I didnt check any of the bolt hole locations. I just hope they made it just a little shorter and all the bolts line up right. I got mine from Tommys truck parts.
Yea mine was like an 1/16 off. Haven't Checked holes yet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #184
rustbucket66

Just read a post on the rad support, that someone else had the same problem as I did. Trust me, if that rad support doesn't measure perfect to the original, throw it in the junk and repair the original. It will cost you thousands of dollars and grief, before you have painted anything. Problems will arise throughout. Just try and put together the front clip on the floor, and see if you can put it together at all. Everything on the front bolts to that piece, and it is critical it is right. Another thing to check is to set the front pans on the top, and see if the bend in the rad support is in the right place for the pans to fit on properly, and the bolts to go in.. The aftermarket inner and outer fenders are bad also, and the rad support is the worst of all. I started a post called "how do you fix this, repo body parts". Read this post. It shows lots of pics, and what it takes to fix this crap. Beware!! Save or patch your originals at all costs.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #185
williamsboys

Quote:
Just read a post on the rad support, that someone else had the same problem as I did. Trust me, if that rad support doesn't measure perfect to the original, throw it in the junk and repair the original. It will cost you thousands of dollars and grief, before you have painted anything. Problems will arise throughout. Just try and put together the front clip on the floor, and see if you can put it together at all. Everything on the front bolts to that piece, and it is critical it is right. Another thing to check is to set the front pans on the top, and see if the bend in the rad support is in the right place for the pans to fit on properly, and the bolts to go in.. The aftermarket inner and outer fenders are bad also, and the rad support is the worst of all. I started a post called "how do you fix this, repo body parts". Read this post. It shows lots of pics, and what it takes to fix this crap. Beware!! Save or patch your originals at all costs.
Ok I will try that. Dumb question but what do you mean the pan's?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #186
rustbucket66

The pans as I called them, are the two pieces that fasten on to the top of the rad support and the top of the header panel. They are the first things you see when you open the hood, have 5 bolt holes on each, and the hood latch piece goes in the middle between them. The two new rad supports I had didn't quite have the bend where it slopes to the side in the right place. You should be able to set the pan on top with the bend for the rad support and the bend for the pan sitting together. Then see if the bolt holes line up. Also, try and put the inner fenders, fenders, and header panel up to this new rad support, and see if the holes line up. Try it on the floor. If it is a 1/4 short from side to side, that is A LOT. Someone wil spend a lot of time and money trying to make it work. I've learned my lesson the hard way. All I would use repo body pieces for is to cut patch pieces out of them and weld them to the originals. I have a couple hundred hours making my inner fenders, outer fenders, and header panel work. All repos, and I still have junk. The two new rad supports, from two different manufacturers, that I had couldn't be used at all, that rad support is the most important piece. I have not seen really good repos from anywhere yet. If yours isn't dead on, think about repairing your original.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #187
williamsboys

Quote:
The pans as I called them, are the two pieces that fasten on to the top of the rad support and the top of the header panel. They are the first things you see when you open the hood, have 5 bolt holes on each, and the hood latch piece goes in the middle between them. The two new rad supports I had didn't quite have the bend where it slopes to the side in the right place. You should be able to set the pan on top with the bend for the rad support and the bend for the pan sitting together. Then see if the bolt holes line up. Also, try and put the inner fenders, fenders, and header panel up to this new rad support, and see if the holes line up. Try it on the floor. If it is a 1/4 short from side to side, that is A LOT. Someone wil spend a lot of time and money trying to make it work. I've learned my lesson the hard way. All I would use repo body pieces for is to cut patch pieces out of them and weld them to the originals. I have a couple hundred hours making my inner fenders, outer fenders, and header panel work. All repos, and I still have junk. The two new rad supports, from two different manufacturers, that I had couldn't be used at all, that rad support is the most important piece. I have not seen really good repos from anywhere yet. If yours isn't dead on, think about repairing your original.
Ok thanks for input I'm gana try all that this weekend
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #188
williamsboys

I put all my front end on rad support today and it all lined up except like 2 or 3 bolts . But it was so close that I bet I get it to line up with more time. [IMG]http:/ [/IMG]
[IMG]http:/ [/IMG]

Do yall thank I could beet this out? It's all in great shape except this grill support
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #189
allaboutchevelles

I dont see any pics. I done the same thing on my truck this weekend. Mine seem to fit ok as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #190
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
I dont see any pics. I done the same thing on my truck this weekend. Mine seem to fit ok as well.
Really I.see the pics on my side. That's weird
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #191
williamsboys

My motor has been built and sitting since Oct 2011. It was shipped dry. I feel like its going bad just sitting there. I don't have a priming tool for the oil if I put the oil in. Is there anything I could or should do before.it's.ready to be broke in in a couple.months
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #192
williamsboys

Any thoughts on my motor question
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #193
williamsboys

Why'd my pics go away in the above post
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #194
jhrusk

looking good
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #195
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
looking good
Thanks a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #196
williamsboys

Here's the pics that were deleted
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #197
McMurphy

Yep you can hammer that out, no problem.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #198
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Yep you can hammer that out, no problem.
Yea I figured I can just trying to salvage all I can. Now the passenger fender maybe not[IMG]http:/ [/IMG]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #199
williamsboys

I'm going with the champion rad and electric fan they offer. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #200
williamsboys

Finally got my trans crossmember and mount in today so now just need to order trans dipstick and new pan. Once I get them I'll be hooken it up to the motor. I've read quite a bit on how to meet the motor and trans but any heads up or advice?
Posted via Mobile Device