The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #176
6772owner
Gearhead

Re: Welders!

Sweet buddy, thats funny you were just talking about getting a welder, then you find that deal! Thats awesome.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #177
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
Sweet buddy, thats funny you were just talking about getting a welder, then you find that deal! Thats awesome.
Persistent pouring over Craig's list, lol. I'm still going to need some help with the finish body work and paint. I also found a deal on a compressor last week, so I hope to be able to get it patched and primered. Now I've just got to get the guts to pull up that carpet in the cab. It was put down with that damn foam rubber house padding, so I'm sure it did a good job of holding in the water...

I like to take photos, so I'll be sure to document the adventure.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #178
Reinovator

go check out a body shop. most have some fenders or something you can beg barrow or even may buy a case of cola and doughnuts for, body men are always hungry.
if you make a good impression they may even be willing to give you some pointers on how to use your new toy. most body men can do good rust repair work the problem it is when doing rust repair a lot of the time you end up under bidding the job. or calling the customer saying ' well my suspension were right there is more than we could see, and the customer heres 'blah blah, more money so alot of body shops shy away from rust repair.
don't be discouraged rust repair is not that bad just be aware there's almost always more that needs to be done count on it and Enjoy Restoring your rig to its original glory, With your two hands.
Cool, your two hands!!!
Have fun
Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #179
Reinovator

Buy the way the 135 is a super good machine I worked at one shop that ran one for 8 years then up graded 'so called' to a snap-on forget the model very nice unit though. but the Lincoln was still going strong. 4 body man with different techniques can slow up any shop welder.
You should be very happy, with it, once you get use to it.
good machine.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #180
TonyJohnson

Thanks! I'll do that. My youngest son is also pretty excited about having the new machine, as well. I just picked up a '94 s10 Blazer for him and it's got a few rust issues as well. He turns 16 in November, so it gives us some time to tinker with it.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #181
Reinovator

Just a thought. about 6years ago I took a I-car certification course for welding and frame repair it included some interactive cd's ask an I-car bodyman or an I-car rep if you can check out the cd's it has self testing and other very good info.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #182
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinovator View Post
Just a thought. about 6years ago I took a I-car certification course for welding and frame repair it included some interactive cd's ask an I-car bodyman or an I-car rep if you can check out the cd's it has self testing and other very good info.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #183
purewhitemp5

Picked up a Miller 211 auto-set and MVP (welds with 115-220 voltages) Took some classes at DTCC : Arc 1 , ARC 2 , MIG and TIG used the Miller XMT 304 CC/CV mostly didn't get a chance to TIG any aluminum , classes mainly dealt with structural steel and cold roll to 16 gauge.

We had a brief demonstration with a spool gun welding alum. Has any one used a spool gun to weld alum. with DC and get good results? I ask because good AC/DC TIG welders are expensive and a spool gun is PnP with my welder and runs like $200.
purewhitemp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #184
Reinovator

Spool guns can be a very good investment but be for you do.
give yours self a check list of pros and cons.
Alum welding is not as easy as the demo.
but it can be learned. In my opinion if you plan on working a lot with aluminum.
DO IT!!!
If not check with A GOOD welding shop on getting your work done.
See how much your wire will cost.
and try using the schools spool gun, some time they'll have open labs where you can use their equipment to hone your skills. Practice Practice Practice.
Then make your choice.

But above all make it fun. not a chore.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #185
Reinovator

Sorry Slow connection I don't have much tig experience, wish I did, maybe some one else can elaborate!!!

Last edited by Reinovator; 06-25-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Slow connect double post
Reinovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #186
AJLChase

So, I was reading this thread to get some ideas on a beginner welder and thought I'd throw in that I think I got a good buy through Craigslist. I ended up getting a Millermatic 180 220v for $400 and it still had the original spool on it and looks barely used. Guy that bought used it to build some kind of prototype that is now being mass produced for him so he no longer needed it. I stopped at Linweld and they told me that that model would be perfect for auto body and light frame work. Any thoughts?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #187
Reinovator

looked up a random price and came up with $987.99
so if your going to learn to weld and and continue welding this should be a primo unit it only has a 30 percent duty cycle but this is at a high setting at average sheet metal you probably wont have any problems.

I'm not bring up duty cycle to scare you or give you any doubts about your great buy just to give you some some details about your unit if you have questions about duty cycle check with your welding instructor to give you some better details.

He (or she) can help you understand better, or lets see what kind of answers we can get here.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #188
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
So, I was reading this thread to get some ideas on a beginner welder and thought I'd throw in that I think I got a good buy through Craigslist. I ended up getting a Millermatic 180 220v for $400 and it still had the original spool on it and looks barely used. Guy that bought used it to build some kind of prototype that is now being mass produced for him so he no longer needed it. I stopped at Linweld and they told me that that model would be perfect for auto body and light frame work. Any thoughts?
great deal, that should be able to do anything you want around a truck.... frame would be a breeze. along with body work.

did it come with a bottle and regs?
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #189
Heinz55

For the stuff we do on our babies, miller mig 110v with gas feed is all I use. Love the portability of the "Barbie Dream Welder", as it is called in the shop.

But I never use fluxcore. If the 110v can't handle it, I go by work and grab a spare welder, miller 220v (got so many can't remember all the model numbers)

Miller is great for durable, easy to use gear.

1955 Chevy 2nd series, "Mabel"
Heinz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #190
scott123

need welder help. wire speed is hung wide open. turn the machine on and the wire races out the end of the tip. will only stop when the machine is turned off. Can't see anything crossing terminals out on the inside.
I am thinking the wire speed control switch but i would think it would be stuck on a setting and come out when the trigger is pulled, not wide open all the time. The wire speed motor is wide open, even with the lead disconnected from the wire feed. Any tech shops in NC? I called around and could not find one. S.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #191
Reinovator

First thing Make of the welder
second model#
voltage 220vac or 110vac(may or my not be necessary) but it helps.
type of gun (tweco, etc.)I think that's how you spell it.
This will help me and or others to identify the problem.
also did you buy this unit used or new.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #192
scott123

Inherited the welder. It has sat for several years. I moved it to my shop and wired it up. It is 220V welder made by Century. It worked perfectly last week as I put it two cab corners. Yesterday when I turned it on the wire was screaming out the end of the gun. I shut it down. I removed the lead thinking the trigger was bad. Still the wire is coming at max speed. I disconnected the wire speed knob and tried it again. As soon as the on/off switch is hit, the wire feed motor runs constantly at full speed.
It is one of those things that I do not have much in the welder, and the Century brand is not top of the line. I will spend a little on it, but the shop here is 90$ an hour and after parts I may as well buy a new one. Sort of at a crossroads. Scott
Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #193
Reinovator

have you got a model #
I had Century once it wasn't to bad the duty cycle was a little low but it worked ,(all you others correct me if I'm wrong) , Marquette made some of the century models at one time and so did Cebora, and I think Cebora ended up making a few Marquette welders also.
The point is a lot of these inexpensive welders have quirks with them.if your dead set on replacing it go with Miller or Lincoln.

I have a a Matco 120vac right now It dose OK but i wish I had bought a Lincoln 120vac but for thin metal its fine. my next one WILL be a 220vac now that my shop has 220vac.

Just don't settle, spend the money and get what you need!and a little extra! if you can.
Hay, have fun and don't let it get to ya like I do sometimes.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #194
scott123

it is a Century145..220V.....
it has a TWECO lead....checked everything i know to check...the lead...the contacts...the board is the only other thing connected to the wire speed motor..i thought about the wire speed controlknob, but even it was stuck on a certain speed it should not come out of the tip til i pull the trigger....the welder worked perfectly last week...if i can fix this one rather cheaply i will stick with it...i don't weld enough to put $$$ in a new one if this one can be fixed...if it costs more $$$, or close to more $$$ I will invest in another one...no need to fix a cheap welder for close to the price of a quality one....but that is just me...scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinovator View Post
have you got a model #
I had Century once it wasn't to bad the duty cycle was a little low but it worked ,(all you others correct me if I'm wrong) , Marquette made some of the century models at one time and so did Cebora, and I think Cebora ended up making a few Marquette welders also.
The point is a lot of these inexpensive welders have quirks with them.if your dead set on replacing it go with Miller or Lincoln.

I have a a Matco 120vac right now It dose OK but i wish I had bought a Lincoln 120vac but for thin metal its fine. my next one WILL be a 220vac now that my shop has 220vac.

Just don't settle, spend the money and get what you need!and a little extra! if you can.
Hay, have fun and don't let it get to ya like I do sometimes.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #195
Reinovator

Smile Re: Welders!

I did A little searching and the best I could find was that the control board has passed away. one thing you can do is look at this board closely and see if anything looks burned.

this sounds like the bug in the works.
one thing to try tomorrow is call around and ask if your area repair shops have had this problem i have a feeling that someone locally has ran into this situation
sorry I can't help any more but as you have probably heard ' with out the unit in front of me it's hard to tell.

one other way is to check on sales of the control board. if this is a well sold model there should be a history of past sales in this model.

good luck really. it will work out.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #196
DURRTY
USMC

Have you taken the gun apart and looked at the contacts of the trigger. It may be dirty and nasty inside and its just getting stuck together. I dont know about the brand of welder, all the guns i have seen work like that. clean that out with some brake cleaner or solvent if its dirty. Or take it down to the weld supply house and they should be able to fix it.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #197
DURRTY
USMC

one more thought, some triggers have a lock on them so you can pull it once and it will feed like yours is and then you pull the trigger again and it will stop. But i have only seen that on heavy duty set ups.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #198
scott123

took the lead apart and checked the contacts/trigger with a meter...its OK. took the lead off the machine and still the same...max wire speed...looked at the the card and there is no obvious damage or burned areas....i talked to a shop guy today and he says he would think the board also. Checking on prices...i inherited the welder and although it is older it is hardly used..although it is a cheaper brand it works (or did) very well...i will have to balance the cost of repair to a new welder and go from there...projects on hold for now...scott
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #199
Reinovator

it sounds like the controller check around, maybe get a part# and search around E-bay etc. the last one I replaced was $100 I've seen them since for $50 but that was 4 years ago in these times you will probably do better.
good luck

Last edited by Reinovator; 08-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Reinovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #200
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

just started welding, I'm switching form flux core to gas, what pressure do you all set your gas regulator at?
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote