The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #176
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Shop Truck refurb, code name Chaser

I hope you get it ironed out. I know how frustrating it can be chasing wiring gremlins around.

If you do make it out there to the Suburban guy, I would like a set of tan map pockets, too. If you can get on the waitig list for a set of tan buckets with a console, that would be great, too. 85-88 would be perfect.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #177
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ok, I plan on leaving him my name/phone this time perhaps with a list or "wants". This guy goes by weight on things, is why I get a swinging deal on the clusters and little knick knacks on the interior. He'll basically look and say "oh, those don't weigh much, $10 for that stuff".

I think I've seen where he asks $150 for front buckets and console, I'd have to go back and find his old CL ads.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #178
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Went picking out at my "suburban guy's" place today. Got another electronic speedo cluster/bezel, big square factory radio and a grille/bezel set. The grille set is barely driver quality really, but worth what I gave for it I suppose. It is not really broken except on the right bezel, and it has one eyelet punched out on the left bezel. Otherwise decent enough for now.
We also decided on a white to go with the red two tone, went with code 50 from GM trucks 2003 (I think) and up. They changed code 50 to a little brighter white in 03 or so. The fact I have enough of it already mixed on the shelf helped a little as well. Got my gravel shield in the front painted just to see how I like it, seems to be very bright and will pop with the red very well.
Am anxious for Tuesday to get here and get it down to the mechanic shop now. That is the big reason I did not toss on the front bumper and push guard, thought it might make it easier for him to work on w/out it in the way.

Jon, the guy said he was going after a K5 blazer today, but he did not know the color of the interior yet. I left him a call back name/phone and a short wish list. He did say the seats go fast, and out of all the suburbans and blazers he's done (said he parted out 150 last year, and is on track this year to even or a bit higher), maybe 5% of them had tan/brown interiors. Red and blue were most common he thought. Although the suburban I was yanking from today did have tan.... It had already been gutted inside and all the doors removed and sold, all that remained was the terribly cracked up dash pad and such. He ruined the column so he could drive it on the trailer, but he does have like 3 column assemblies in his shed.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #179
joe231

Nice!
I really like that white!
Is that your new or old grill?
It looks killer!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #180
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I used the grille and bezels I bought today, simply because someone has sprayed them black where it should be charcoal. I did not realize it until I put the bezels up to my old grille... doh.

My old grille has one broken spot on the back, I'm going to glue it I think just to be safe and avoid further cracking. I also noticed tonight that the emblem (the one I am going to try and give you) is glued on instead of held on with retainer nuts, hopefully I can get it off w/out hurting the grille or emblem.

With money running out for this project, I might just pick the best grille, use the left bezel I got today, and buy a new aftermarket right bezel. I'll paint all the insert areas a flat charcoal like they should be, so they'll all match, and be done. The emblem on the grille I got today is in fair shape, so I'll reuse it as well.

He wanted $100 for the grille and bezels, I offered $120 for everything I took and he accepted quickly. Not bad for the grille, bezels, electronic speedo cluster, cluster bezel, pigtail for the cluster and a ETR factory radio. Meant to take my camera so I could snap some shots of his little setup, but alas I forgot. That's what happens when you have an 8 year old tagging along with you for the journey.

I did tell the guy about this site, and told him if he would do some shipping he'd make a killing on little stuff that he normally just sends off to be crushed. He said he always pulls the gas tank but lays it inside the truck and fills it with water.... He does have a nice pile of sending units though. He has a ton of 7" wheels, but they are all 88 and up truck wheels, not made for the center cap I wanna use. Guess if I really fail in finding others, I'll ponder swapping for his (he might swap my 8's) and seeing if I can just drill and tap them. Would have to research the offset and such to be certain they'd work I guess.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #181
JohnC

The front end looks good man. That white will pop nice with the red.

I think you scored pretty good with all you got for $120!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #182
joe231

don't worry about the emblem, I tried to get one out at pull a part and it just snapped
Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #183
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

This is the first time I've owned or messed with these style grilles, are all the emblems taped on? Looks like they should normally be held on with speed nuts, I guess at their age they've been swapped and no doubt broke.

Joe, Mitchell shows part# 15617085 and a list price of $31.24. I'm not sure if that is actually the correct emblem though, because the picture looks like the grille that I took out of my 87 pickup. Maybe they used the same emblem (doubt it)? Does not show discontinued. Might be a starting point for you to acquire a new one.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #184
JohnC

I know the grilles on the 87 use the palnuts to hold it on the back. I'm not sure about the 89-92 grilles.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #185
joe231

All the 89-91's I've seen a glued on with some type of adhesive.
I believe the newer style trucks are also. Maybe it was a change that came about with the redesign in 88.

Thanks Randy, I'll check into it. LMC shows they have them also...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #186
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'll find out tomorrow if I can get one. My cost would be about $23 plus tax, might be cheaper than a new aftermarket or the NOS that are out there.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #187
joe231

yeah, that would be COOL!

$28.95

http://www.classicparts.com/1989-91-...ctinfo/59-343/

$32.95

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/full.aspx?Page=30

Last edited by joe231; 09-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #188
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the truck Randy! The front end and grill looks great!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #189
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'm as anxious as a guy on prom night, ready to get the truck down to the mechanic and see if he can work his magic and make it finished under the hood.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #190
Stitch
Account Suspended

I want video when it runs right...big ole smoke show in the back of the shop...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #191
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My lot is worn out asphalt, but I could go next door to a nice concrete lot

Heck, I could toss on a couple of my suburban wheels/tires and roast away

Were it not for knowing the cost of having to rebuild the transmission if I burn it up... I probably would. I'm getting old enough to know better though.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #192
joe231

I hope it's something stupid simple so your cruising her tomorrow evening
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #193
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

After reading up on what you have to do to set idle, and then set timing... I think that will do it, hopefully. Because I know we did not do all that. I got my fingers crossed they don't call and tell me the new TBI is too much, or I need to have the intake bored out or something, or need a different cam. Of course now that I got my truck this far along, my helper came across a smoking deal on a 72 or so c10, has a nice LS1 in it with all the computer and wiring and such. I could have bought that off him for less than I gave just for the new crate engine, not to mention all the extras. Always a day late and a dollar short it seems.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #194
joe231

is your helper gonna sell the LS1 set up?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #195
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yes he is, I think I seen it on CL last week. The truck he bought is wrecked in the front, so he got a decent deal on it. He said he was going to part out the truck 100%.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #196
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well, fairly good day I suppose, even if my shop is scary slow still. I mean, like bank account low and thinking of taking a job at WalMart as a night stocker slow.

Anyways, helper sold his LS1 for $1500, got a grille emblem for Joe (my dealer had one in stock, no mounting tabs, is all glue on I guess) and I got the truck down to the dealer.
My service writer buddy called fairly early and told me the first and foremost issue was the throttle position sensor, it was bad. I guess the new one on the Holley setup was just fried somehow. They got a new GM sensor and replaced it for me. The tech got the idle set correctly and the timing set correctly. Said we were just about a degree off on the timing, I'm glad to hear that! Biggest issue the truck has now is it will throw a CEL randomly, and it's due to the MAP sensor not getting enough vacuum. With the cam that crate engine has, he said it will never create enough vacuum to let the MAP sensor work right. He has heard of a work around plug in device to help the issue, but did not know where to point me on it. I'll try google tomorrow and see if I get lucky or not.
So $85 for the sensor and $30 in labor I was on the road so to speak. I drove the truck a good 10 miles tonight around town and down a few miles of section line, ran very well. It will get a very low lope when at a stop for more than 15 seconds, and feels like it is going to die. A few times it loped slow enough I gave it just a little push on the gas pedal, not enough to really make the truck surge, just a light foot step on the pedal and it would idle very smooth and as long as I wanted. Seems this might be about as good as it gets with what seems to be a very poor choice of engines. I'm thrilled it runs and drives though, maybe it'll smooth out a little the more I drive it. I stopped and filled one saddle up with 91 octane, just to let it burn it for a little bit and see if it makes a hill of beans difference. It really does seem to be sluggish out of the hole, but winds up nice after about 20mph or so, could be the vacuum issue or something going from a warm dead stop.
I hate the thought of replacing the cam in this thing, but it is a choice I suppose. Is kind of like putting leather seats in your brand new car because you don't like the cloth, I'd rather wear the cloth seats out a little first I guess.

A few things I miss already between the 87 and my 05. Remote entry and auto headlamps. Call me spoiled, but I'm so used to having them it seems like roughing it putting the key in the door to unlock it or pulling the headlamp switch and more importantly, pushing it back in! I walked out of Atwoods with a big on my face tonight after leaving my lamps on while getting dog food.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #197
spudz

honestly sounds like your timing is a little too slow, id advance it some and see how it likes it.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #198
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I was thinking the same, except maybe setting the idle just a touch higher instead. I dunno, gonna put a few 100 miles on it and maybe take it back to the guy and let him check it all again, and go from there.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #199
joe231

well that sucks that I couldn't buy the LS1, but I'm glad he sold it so quick!

Sweet deal on the emblem, what's that gonna cost me

that sucks about the cam, did they have any recommendations?
I kinda find that a bit hard to swallow my self, but maybe I'm just stubborn
i wonder if a vacuum ball in line with the MAP would help?

I'm glad it's running better for you anyway!!

Last edited by joe231; 09-07-2010 at 09:49 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #200
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Roughly 25 plus tax, 8.517% , I did not notice if they charged a delivery fee like normal. Usually they don't charge it on my personal stuff though.